Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 158 votes
    14%
  • No 220 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 326 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 64 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 45 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 36 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1151 votes by 945 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,250 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 145.
#1851 6 years ago

Game looks badass. Love the subtle details on the inserts!

#1852 6 years ago

Wonder what Scott has in store for game 2

#1853 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Scott's Game 2 better be on the P3!

#1854 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Does it help to know it's Scott's wife?

Scott's married to a anime girl??

Wife aside (because really how do I hate on it now??) I think it's a little cliche and 90's where like the color and sound and all that scream more for that 80's action movie vibe instead. Like the Far Cry posters a few pages back.

Not a game ruiner at all.

#1855 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Bible Adventures. I'm sure at this point he's heard all of Ben's ideas numerous times

#1856 6 years ago

mandraws : AMAZING job on this playfield art. Outstanding!

#1857 6 years ago

I like the clean look to the pf art. The clear rubber is a nice touch too. You have to realize that the lighting brings this game to life, and the pf art seems like it will work well with the lighting to sweep color across the pf.

#1858 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I like the clean look to the pf art. The clear rubber is a nice touch too. You have to realize that the lighting brings this game to life, and the pf art seems like it will work well with the lighting to sweep color across the pf.

I would argue that this game is up there with WoZ as far as light show goes. It is a stunning machine to look at.

#1859 6 years ago

Some folks need attention when they bitch.

For me, this game and Spooky are easy to love. So much of what Charlie and co really love isn't my cup of tea. AMH is 100% my thing, but not RZ, Jetsons, Dominos or Alice Cooper. I'm super excited to see this game. I think it's awesome!

#1860 6 years ago

The art on this game rocks so hard. For a game that's supposed to be like the 80s, this thing is rad. Bravo to the entire team. Ultimately, it's the units sold that counts and so far, interest in this baby seems to be VERY high.

#1861 6 years ago

TNA is the future of pinball!

Passionate people pouring their guts into designing a killer game and a leader with a crystal clear vision. A top-notch collective of talented people brought together to realize the vision and indie companies working together to bring them to the masses.

TNA is strong in the pinball traditions we all love and brings in just enough of something new to make it exciting all over again.

Scott had a vision and he is realizing it. I could see that at Expo last year and I love that Scott is seeing it through to the finish.

Can't wait to play the finished game in real life. It reminds me of when I used to get to hear a band's demo tape. I would get super excited by what what taking shape and be blown away when I got to hear the finished album.

Bravo.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#1862 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Scott's Game 2 better be on the P3!

It woud be great to have an 80s-style game on the P3, I'm sure that will happen soon enough.

#1863 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

What charmed lives we live, there was a time when this was your option for new game art...

elongated fingers.....he maybe turning into a Lycan.

#1865 6 years ago

Not sure how I got ejected from all the Stern threads so I guess I'll just hang out here.
BRAVO! Machine is GORGEOUS.

#1866 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Not sure how I got ejected from all the Stern threads so I guess I'll just hang out here.
BRAVO! Machine is GORGEOUS.

Wait what? You can no longer view Stern threads?

#1867 6 years ago

No. Can see em. Just can't say anything.

#1868 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

You've been silenced! Never speak against the King again or off with your head! Stern holds sooo many great licenses but treat the customers like shit. I love interacting with Spooky! They actually care about the product and end user. I emailed Charlie the other day about a small issue and not only did he get me parts in the mail same day but we then exchanged several emails back and forth about TNA and how excited he was to get this to people.

#1869 6 years ago

I think adding some GLO BALLS would look awesome in this game.

#1871 6 years ago

Sorry. Not trolling. Just what I'm mamma jammin on.

#1872 6 years ago

Scott or Spooky.
Are there plans to include some side goals to the game? Same note what's the three stand ups / 9 inserts for? These ones located to the left of the drop targets.
Thanks

#1873 6 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

Scott or Spooky.
Are there plans to include some side goals to the game? Same note what's the three stand ups / 9 inserts for? These ones located to the left of the drop targets.
Thanks

The 3 standups with the 9 nine inserts must be completed to get reactor ready. Side goals jackpots in the the inline drops , stacking ball saves . Also with destroying reactors ( your main goal ) you must choose to maximize your points by getting reactor value at max before starting ,and being in multiball while destroying ( to multiply reactor value) . Try to maximize everything or just progress to the next reactor , your choice (this game is very much risk vs reward )

#1874 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Love the new avatar O-Din!

#1875 6 years ago

Couple questions come to mind when I look at this pin...

1. Say instead of Scott/Spooky, it was Gomez/Stern that designed/produced this same exact pin...Would it be as well received?

2. This is the pin to compare to Star Wars considering after shipping it will be $1000 more than a pro & only $900 cheaper than prem.
Is it a better deal than either of those?

#1876 6 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

1. Say instead of Scott/Spooky, it was Gomez/Stern that designed/produced this same exact pin...Would it be as well received?
2. This is the pin to compare to Star Wars considering after shipping it will be $1000 more than a pro & only $900 cheaper than prem.

1) No.
2) Yes!

#1877 6 years ago

2# Does Spooky games have problems with ghosting inserts and splitning cabinets? If not then YES because those issues are valued higher in frustration then $1000

#1878 6 years ago

You would NOT have ended up with the same pin is Stern had built it. Plain and simple. I spoke with a Stern employee at ReplayFX and they noted that Stern made an attempt to build this game but lost it due to saying all the things they were going to need to cut to reduce BOM. Made me so much happier that they screwed that one up and we are getting the game as it was envisioned.

Compared to SW, this is apples to crab apples comparison. So much more in this game for the cost. In reality this will cost ~$800 more than the pro all said and done/ post shipping. However, it is obvious that the price point to compare to is the Prem based on the feature list. TnA is a full featured game with nothing removed or bastardized just to create a lessor edition. Just look at the feature list; full color changing LEDs, back glass, laser cut rails, custom hand drawn art, custom tunes, bass box, display plus alpha displays, inlane drops, 3 flippers, 4? slings, spinner, true physical lock. That is just off the top of my head.

Seems pretty obvious what is the better deal.

Toss in the Proc system being more stable than the spike system and no splitting cabinets or ghosting pfs... It is really not even worth comparing.

#1879 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Just look at the feature list

...but only one pop bumper.

Seriously, though. I think at this point, it is inescapable that I will have one in my gameroom, and it will quite likely be a NIB purchase.

#1880 6 years ago

Likely not. Sadly. All Stern games are bashed to pieces.

#1881 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

You would NOT have ended up with the same pin is Stern had built it. Plain and simple.

Right. Say Stern would rebuild the proto playfield 1. They certainly would not go with the p-roc system. So added cost of reprogramming the game with Spike.

And that is one thing people tend to forget about TNA. The non-inhouse platform for a Spooky. Added costs.

#1882 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

but only one pop bumper.

funny part is that single pop bumper is used 10x better than any Stern 3 pack of protected pops in the past 10 games.

#1883 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

funny part is that single pop bumper is used 10x better than any Stern 3 pack of protected pops in the past 10 games.

I couldnt agree more. The one pop is very dangerous compared to the 3 pops that have one exit on Sterns. Pops are one of those things that add a random element to the game. By having them protected and only exiting from one path, they become predictable and removes any threat from the game. TZ is a great example of how pops are used effectively also. There's an element of randomness and they also pose a threat, but are not a 100% drain or safe shot.

#1884 6 years ago

Stern would *never* put so much quality in a pin. If Stern did this pin it would be like WNBJM which is around the same price, and low run game.

Stern does not have flipper button extended etched side armor on SW premium or pro and no beckon/topper so if those were bought separately would add several hundred dollars.

Stern probably does not have as good of sound system, I can't say about the Spike sound system because I don't own one.

I think this is a better deal (IMO) because it lines up closer to the pro. I say that because I've often contemplated adding extended etched side armor to my Tron, TWD, IM and other Stern games and that's usually a $200-400 price. The topper, I can take or leave but if it was an extra cost option likely would be $100 or so. Plus add in the sound system and the full color lighting it's like a premuim at a pro-memium price.

I'm not big into toppers but as far as this goes, I think TNA hit it out of the park, I mean it's not too huge and likely will be used in attract mode and during the game. If it was an extra cost option I'd get it so being included is like (imo) having an extra $100-200 feature added. The side armor is $200-$300 all day long.

I'm not saying it costs Spooky $100-$300 for those features but what is generally charged on the open market. I'm looking at full set armor for IM, Tron, Met (full set including legs) and that's $500

#1885 6 years ago

1) Who knows... Stern has made some real gems. But for every great title, they have 3 or 4 cookie cutter re-hash designs. I think that would make folks look at this game with a different eye.

2 All depends on what kind of gameplay you enjoy.

#1886 6 years ago

No shaker?

#1887 6 years ago

Doesn't need one, the bass box takes care of that...........

#1888 6 years ago

It's got a beautiful play field! I don't see any "ghosting"

#1889 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Doesn't need one, the bass box takes care of that...........

Does it really? Will the production sound system really rock THAT hard? Awesome, if that is indeed the case. However, if it's an exaggeration, I definitely hope that TNA comes wired to easily add a shaker... I simply cannot wait for this game!

#1890 6 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Does it really? Will the production sound system really rock THAT hard? Awesome, if that is indeed the case. However, if it's an exaggeration, I definitely hope that TNA comes wired to easily add a shaker... I simply cannot wait for this game!

Put it this way: at SFGE17 the TNA whitewood pin was sitting in middle of a large hotel ballroom surround by 250-300 other pins and video games. It was EASILY the loudest and cleanest sounding pin there, with bass that you felt in your chest while playing.....the sound alone drew a crowd like moths to a flame!!!

#1891 6 years ago

There are actually 5 slings I think (3 at top, two in the normal spots on the bottom) and aren't there also two controlled ball gates?

#1892 6 years ago

Say instead of Scott/Spooky, it was Gomez/Stern that designed/produced this same exact pin...Would it be as well received?

Quoted from Whysnow:

You would NOT have ended up with the same pin is Stern had built it.

Fair enough, when comparing to Stern. But what if JJP had built it, and build quality wasn't going to be an issue? everything in the original BOM was kept, and then some, without cutting corners?

I believe the original question was posed from this standpoint. Say an existing manufacturer revealed a new non-themed game dolled up in purple and pink; designed by an unestablished first time designer featuring a simple one level layout, a mostly single rinse/repeat objective, no modes, no ramps, no toys, but they told you its got a great light show and driving soundtrack. It was going to list for $6K. They justify this machine as their attempt to return to the 80's simplicity of rules and layout with retro art.

If TNA was an in-house design by JJP would people still view this machine as something special or ask themselves 'what exactly are they trying to sell me here'?

it's understandable A LOT of support in this thread comes from the homebrew/pinside community as well as personal friends of Scott. This element would not have existed if an identical game had been presented cold from an established company. Without it, I suspect opinions might be less enthusiastic.

given what has taken place in the last five or so years, everyone knows the barriers to entry in the pinball industry are HUGE. Not just from a manufacturing standpoint, but as a playfield designer, a code programmer, or an artist, the opportunities are few and far between when only a handful of new titles get produced each year. Scott is blessed to have his game reach critical mass.

#1893 6 years ago

All these "what if" questions are missing the point. Of course I'm happy for Scott. But you know why I'm excited? Because I've played the game, and it's f—king fun. If it wasn't fun none of this would matter.

Enough with the sports mentality, companies aren't teams, and you don't have to wear their jerseys. If Stern made an awesome game like this then great, more awesome games, I'd buy it.

I pitched a RZ game years ago. Spooky built one. I didn't like how it came out, so I didn't buy it. What matters is the game, not the logo on it.

#1894 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

Fair enough, when comparing to Stern. But what if JJP had built it, and build quality wasn't going to be an issue? everything in the original BOM was kept, and then some, without cutting corners?
I believe the original question was posed from this standpoint. Say an existing manufacturer revealed a new non-themed game dolled up in purple and pink; designed by an unestablished first time designer featuring a simple one level layout, a mostly single rinse/repeat objective, no modes, no ramps, no toys, but they told you its got a great light show and driving soundtrack. It was going to list for $6K. They justify this machine as their attempt to return to the 80's simplicity of rules and layout with retro art.
If TNA was an in-house design by JJP would people still view this machine as something special or ask themselves 'what exactly are they trying to sell me here'?
it's understandable A LOT of support in this thread comes from the homebrew/pinside community as well as personal friends of Scott. This element would not have existed if an identical game had been presented cold from an established company. Without it, I suspect opinions might be less enthusiastic.
given what has taken place in the last five or so years, everyone knows the barriers to entry in the pinball industry are HUGE. Not just from a manufacturing standpoint, but as a playfield designer, a code programmer, or an artist, the opportunities are few and far between when only a handful of new titles get produced each year. Scott is blessed to have his game reach critical mass.

I am neither a homebrewer nor a personal friend of Scott's. I played it at MCG for the first time, not even knowing it existed prior to that, and I've been a huge supporter since I've seen it and played it. Stern has built a reputation over the years and are using that to sell games sight unseen. JJP is taking a different approach to selling games. Spooky, yet a different approach; and that's just it, each company approaches the fan base differently. I'm not sure how Spooky got involved with Scott and his machine, but I would imagine that if Spooky did not think it was special, they would not have even considered producing it. Spooky has a LOT to lose on this, Scott...maybe not so much because at the end of the day, he still has his own table regardless if Spooky builds it or not. JJP has a stronger foothold with their 3 games, and a 4th on the way, but the way the rolled out DI is how Stern needs to roll out their games; putting some protos on location, soliciting feedback from distributors, and making necessary tweaks. I think Stern has gotten too big for their own good, and that the people buying tables from them are a big part of the problem. Another carparison here, you would never take delivery of a brand new car without test driving it first, right? Yet people have no trouble spending 5K-15K on a toy box, sight unseen. Just crazy to me.

#1895 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

You're missing some important context - people are excited about this game because they PLAYED IT. It has nothing to do with who is making it.

#1896 6 years ago

(posted with permission from Scott)

For those of you looking to get a better idea of how these new games are designed or just to talk with those who have done it, you're welcome to join the pindev slack channel (online / real-time chat group).

The slack group is a popular hangout for many of today's active pinball designers/builders. Active members include people using P-ROC / P3-ROC, OPP, and FAST hardware and those using both SkeletonGame and MPF software frameworks, including developers from both projects. Multiple current pinball manufacturers are represented there, including Spooky Pinball (TNA - Scott), American Pinball (Houdini - Rosh), and Multimorphic (P3 - various developers).

The community is very helpful, focused, and welcoming. If you'd like an invitation, send me a PM with your email address, and I'll take care of it.

- Gerry
http://www.multimorphic.com

#1897 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

While I agree with aspects of this in the sense that it's "cool" to support Spooky, and equally "cool" to bash Stern, et al - that is not mutually exclusive from the quality of the game.

The bottom line is that the attendees at shows are far broader than Pinside, and how many times has TnA won best in show? That can be bolstered by "Scott's friends" or Spooky groupies, but moreover it is because general pinball show attendees, who are not caught up in the pinball manufacturer soap opera, think the game rules!

THEY'RE RIGHT!

#1898 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

It's got a beautiful play field! I don't see any "ghosting"

Yeah, what gives? We want ghosting! We want ghosting!

#1899 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Yeah, what gives? We want ghosting! We want ghosting!

They could always blame the ghosting on a radiation leak.

#1900 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Another carparison here, you would never take delivery of a brand new car without test driving it first, right?

Ummm, not exactly. You would be amazed at how often that very thing happens. Many, MANY people buy cars simply because of the emblem on the hood, or the deal they got, or by what Consumers Reports told them was a best buy....

But I totally agree with you. Play the game first, THEN decide if you want to buy it.

TNA is definitely one of those games that will sell a ton based on "test-drives".

Later,
EV

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

Machine - For Sale
Valley Center, KS
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

There are 7,250 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 145.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-annihilation-production/page/38 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.