Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 85 days ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 183 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 156 votes
    14%
  • No 219 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 324 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 63 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 44 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 34 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1142 votes by 940 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 842 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 7250 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 145.
#1801 2 years ago

mandraws is a gifted artist and took a unique approach to the playfield. The backglass is dynamite and the deck art design is definitely throwback. For being (what I believe is) a first attempt at illustrating a playfield, it's pretty slick.

Looking at the AFM playfield, it's true that the art simplifies as it gets closer to the flippers. However, there is the "damsel in distress" positioned there, and she has always struck me as a standout artistic element of that specific playfield. The artwork on the AFM slings is also well integrated. So, while it is simplified - it is still bold in its existence.

My (very respectful) feedback is that I would have loved to have seen just a "tiny" bit more of mandraws amazing illustration style artwork on the playfield. Even if it were just replacing the bottom logo between the flippers with the heroine... she is too great an element to only use once...Of course, adding art to the sling plastics would be another option.

This game is absolutely amazing. I have never been so excited about any new release...and she's not even a licensed property!

Sincerest congratulations to Charlie & Co, Scott, and Matt. You guys have done something else that no other company has been able to pull off - a beautiful, nonlicensed, AFFORDABLE, player's machine!

#1802 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

I can't wait to buy this game. They're batching this right? 200 or something at a time, and then switching the line to AC? And then back?

50 at a time.

#1803 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Question for Spooky (and others who may know): what brand parts are being used for common items such as flipper assemblies, slingshots, targets, etc.?? Are these Spooky specific or do they interchange with other manufacturers (B/W, Stern)? While I understand and realize that every pin has game-specific parts it would be nice to know that commonly replaced wear type items are interchangeable with other brands, thus making long term ownership more feasible....

Bally / Williams style. most of the parts are coming from Pinball Life (minus the game specifics). Most are standard parts that are known and proven to work.

#1804 2 years ago

I like the playfield like it is, with the exception of the logo above the flippers wich should be the character in my opinion.

But, altough that would be "nice to have" for me, I'll buy it the way it is and it's great overall!

#1805 2 years ago

More name-calling. You're got a reputation for being an a-hole yourself there buddy. Also would never want to go into your house anyway, the stench of pot would be overwhelming I'm sure.

Quoted from Aurich:

It's not crazy to tell people they're being assholes when they say stupid things like the artist must be an intern because Spooky and Scott are cheap and lazy though. Scott, Charlie, and Matt are right here, reading this thread ffs.
Don't like the art, who cares. But show some class. Some of the people in this thread wouldn't be welcome in my house, that's for damn sure.

#1806 2 years ago

LOL, the simple playfield has been done before.

Quoted from fantarama:

I've played a fair amount of pinballs and pretty much all have complex art all over the place. To be honest this concept of plain art to be able to see the moving ball is quite revolutionary, I can't wrap my head around the fact that no body came up with that before... thats really weird if you come to think about it! You guys should contact NASA.

pf (resized).jpg

#1807 2 years ago

Whatever you guys, i'm outta here.

#1808 2 years ago

I'd have one idea for the code tough (if that isn't allready in there in a way):

I like when you have a side objective, like collecting "Gigabytes" in Johnny Mnemonic while completing all the modes.
So for TNA it'd be nice if you're not only to activate and destroy the reactors but to collect... Plutonium, Gigawatts, Skittles (???)... to... travel back in time after completing your objective of destroying all the reactors. -Final Wizard Mode!

#1809 2 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

Next time your draw on a whitewood think of the pinside future. At least use a fine tip sharpie. . Lol
We can take up a sharpie collection for you!

Jay drew it, but it was my sharpie, it was the only one I had when Scott was looking for one. Although it was a special sharpie that is more resistant to wear, etc.. So, if you really need to, you can blame me for the thick lines

#1810 2 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Whatever you guys, i'm outta here.

Bye Felicia!

Edit: I was going to put in a joke about the Orbitor-1 PF either being a pic of Aurich's lungs or PAC's last colonoscopy pic...
But that would be "bad form Peter."

#1811 2 years ago

Has there ever been machine with an art package that has been universally loved? Then again, few pieces of fine art are universally loved, so I guess that is just the nature of art. It also seems to be the thing that folks get more emotional about, than any other aspect of a machine, and often it is before they have even seen it in person.

Congrats to Matt and Scott on the art package, great seeing the vision come to life.

#1812 2 years ago

Does anyone know when they start to shipping for the 1st run and how many ?

#1813 2 years ago

Looks detailed enough to me.

TNA Closeup

#1814 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Has there ever been machine with an art package that has been universally loved? Then again, few pieces of fine art are universally loved, so I guess that is just the nature of art. It also seems to be the thing that folks get more emotional about, than any other aspect of a machine, and often it is before they have even seen it in person.
Congrats to Matt and Scott on the art package, great seeing the vision come to life.

No need for universal love, just happy when I don't find too much to nitpick about.

Only game I liked everything about the playfield art was TMNT,... but the game is shit, so...

#1815 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Has there ever been machine with an art package that has been universally loved?

Never. It shouldn't even be a goal, it's not a reasonable thing to even want. Matt delivered what Scott wanted, and it's up to people to decide if they want to buy it or not, or even just enjoy it.

Is TNA my dream game? In some ways it really is, in others not even close. But I'm not projecting my dreams onto it, I'm happy to see Scott have his come to light. Plus it's f—king fun, and at the end of the day that counts more than anything else.

The main thing is you can be critical or not like something without being personal and nasty. Calling it intern work is laughable, you blow your whole credibility just saying that, but it's also intentionally insulting.

Just don't be a jerk, how hard is that?

#1816 2 years ago

PACMAN sent me a PM with a link to a prescription glasses site.

That sort of sums up the value of his opinion.

#1817 2 years ago

It is classic 80's arcade art style. And that is the point isn't it. Anyone who thinks otherwise is missing the point. Well done everyone involved in this game.

#1818 2 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I'd have one idea for the code tough (if that isn't allready in there in a way):
I like when you have a side objective, like collecting "Gigabytes" in Johnny Mnemonic while completing all the modes.
So for TNA it'd be nice if you're not only to activate and destroy the reactors but to collect... Plutonium, Gigawatts, Skittles (???)... to... travel back in time after completing your objective of destroying all the reactors. -Final Wizard Mode!

I think that it is a one way mission, that I'm sure I'd never have the skill to ever witness.

#1819 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The main thing is you can be critical or not like something without being personal and nasty. Calling it intern work is laughable, you blow your whole credibility just saying that, but it's also intentionally insulting.
Just don't be a jerk, how hard is that?

Personally, I think the artwork is quite creative and very well presented from what I must assume is the creator's vision. Is it my favorite? Honestly, no. What I had in my mind for an ideal presentation of this pin is very different than what was delivered, both theme and color scheme. But so what? This was not my vision or creation, so I don't get to make those decisions. I have nothing but admiration and respect for someone who can execute a creative idea like this all the way to actually delivery a product to market, and he should be complemented for such. My general attitude on these matters is if you think you can do better, then prove it. You take the financial risk, you invest the countless hours of your life attempting to make your vision a reality, you bring a team of experts together and sell them on your vision, you do the R&D, and you deliver a luxury product to market that people get excited about and actually want to buy.

To put it bluntly, there is absolutely no place for ad hominem attacks just because you think and/or feel your perspective is better. Offer constructive criticism? Sure, but even then you need to have a realistic understanding of the impact an unsolicited opinion on the matter may elicit. From what I've read in this thread, there is all kinds of enthusiasm, and certainly enough to make this game a success for only what I can guess it's distribution goals will be.

To summarize, indeed while personally attacking and disparaging people over these types of ideas in a public forum does indeed make one a jerk, even worse it makes one a fool.

#1820 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

PACMAN sent me a PM with a link to a prescription glasses site.
That sort of sums up the value of his opinion.

I actually think that's kinda funny. I think we all get too defensive about things we like. Myself included...

But the close up does indeed look good... shows some of the details that get lost from a distance.

#1821 2 years ago

Can't wait to see some gameplay video of completed game-

IMG_5243 (resized).PNG

#1822 2 years ago

More detailed pics from:

http://www.scottdanesi.com/?p=890

IMG_5244 (resized).JPG

IMG_5245 (resized).JPG

IMG_5246 (resized).JPG

IMG_5247 (resized).JPG

IMG_5249 (resized).JPG

IMG_5248 (resized).JPG

IMG_5250 (resized).JPG

#1823 2 years ago

The art package isn't going to be for everyone but fits the theme and Scott's vision. With the resources available today anyone could buy the game and create their own art for it.. I see people printing play field overlays all the time.

#1824 2 years ago

Personally I like the art. But more importantly. I like the entire game. I also like GB and have one of those. Do I want 10 games with the same art next to each other. NO.

I find it laughable and annoying the right people feel they need they have on anything new. Like critiquing a movie based on a trailer. Or should they change the actor. Just wait for the final product and judge on all aspects. If you don't like it maybe something else will trip your fancy.

#1825 2 years ago

All it's missing is drop target decals!

#1826 2 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I actually think that's kinda funny. I think we all get too defensive about things we like.

The stereotypical troll response when someone calls them out for acting like a jackass is for them to say something like "I was just kidding" or "grow a thicker skin," like it's everyone else that's wrong. Guess what - if you think everyone else is an ass, maybe it's actually you.

He's welcome to his opinion, just present it constructively like others have and who *haven't* been called out for it.

Compared to the typical Stern Photoshop cut and paste this thing is awesome looking. Totally on-theme. I can't wait to play it!

#1827 2 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

In my conversations with Scott he was happy to leave some elements open for the creative mod community and their add-ons. Just another way you can personalize your TNA.

#1828 2 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

In my conversations with Scott he was happy to leave some elements open for the creative mod community and their add-ons. Just another way you can personalize your TNA.

Just hearing that Scott left the window open for the aftermarket mod guys to have some work and sales shows what a great guy he is.
-Mike

#1829 2 years ago

I like the artwork and the game. Can't wait to add one to my collection. The game is so fun to play!!!! The best home home grown game in years!!!

#1830 2 years ago

What charmed lives we live, there was a time when this was your option for new game art...

IMG_9360 (resized).JPG

#1831 2 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

and scoop protection.

#1832 2 years ago

After spending so many years of personally designing games and admiring people taking the huge gamble in making physical pinball machines I can't give enough praise to Scott. This one looks to be simple, gorgeous, unique, and downright inspiring. I just wish pinball machines these days weren't so friggin expensive... so I could buy them all!

#1833 2 years ago

Love the PF, love the cab, STILL not feeling the anime girl on the backglass but it's not a game killer. Can't wait to play it!

#1834 2 years ago

This game is beautiful! It's unique and looks to be a blast to play. I'm looking forward trying it.

Am I weird to think this could be a game that has long replayability in a collection? It looks brutal and could be a pin that teases that 'just one more game' appeal... like Shadow.

#1835 2 years ago

Too bad the game won't fall in price like rz is doing

#1836 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I think that it is a one way mission, that I'm sure I'd never have the skill to ever witness.

I've never managed to become the "Master of Powerdown" either but it's nice that it exists.

#1837 2 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Love the PF, love the cab, STILL not feeling the anime girl on the backglass but it's not a game killer. Can't wait to play it!

I still think she's one of the better parts of the whole art package. I really like the idea of her being on the playfield, Akira-style, that someone posted earlier.

#1838 2 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Does it help to know it's Scott's wife?

#1839 2 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

I think it would be creepy if he turned around and liked it now because of that

#1840 2 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

I think that's the best part.

Now that I think about it, it's the biggest Easter egg on the glass. And it will be a glass.

#1841 2 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I think that's the best part.

I agree. What a cool way to pay homage to his wife.

#1842 2 years ago

There was similar reaction to the Stern Star Trek playfield. I think both playfields fit the theme perfectly and help immerse the player in the story. Not every playfield needs to look like a velvet blacklight poster!

#1843 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Then again, few pieces of fine art are universally loved

Mona-Lisa (resized).jpg

#1844 2 years ago

I love the art...fits the theme perfectly!

#1845 2 years ago

Meh. You can tell they photo-shopped that.

#1846 2 years ago

I haven't played the game, but I've been drooling over gameplay videos for months. The art package is better than I expected. Is it perfect for everyone? Well, of course not, as that is entirely a personal opinion. I don't know Scott, but I love this entire project. I have so much respect for him. The amount of time he's had to dedicate to this work is incredibly inspiring. He's been so transparent through the entire process, allowing many us to follow along.

So will I buy this game? Without a doubt! This is exactly what I'm willing to throw my own hard earned $$$ at. With so many complaints these days with the established pinball companies (cough, Stern), what's not to love about this. I could go on and on...

Let's see more of this. I hope this opens the doors to other homebrewers out there. If you're willing to put in what Scott has, you'll find the support. Big thanks to Spooky for teaming up with Scott.

Love it!!!

#1847 2 years ago

She is not smiling enough

#1848 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnsbit:

Meh. You can tell they photo-shopped that.

beb1fa922f6b2be040bb0fd67181342d3f6ced00 (resized).jpg

#1849 2 years ago

jordan (resized).jpg

#1850 2 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

What charmed lives we live, there was a time when this was your option for new game art...

But it's hand drawn...

Seriously, congrats to Spooky, Scott and Matt. That game is the Total (Nuclear) Package.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jacksonville, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sylacauga, AL
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 7250 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 145.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside