Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 81 days ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 183 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 156 votes
    14%
  • No 219 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 324 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 63 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 44 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 34 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1142 votes by 940 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 842 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 7250 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 145.
#1751 2 years ago

Greetings first-time poster and pinball art curator from southern Uruguay. (really?)

Deep breaths. All will be fine.

#1752 2 years ago
Quoted from fantarama:

Hello pinsiders!
been lurking for a long while, and this is my first post in here, and oh boy I'm already regretting it... but I have to say it!

THIS.
I love this game since the first time I saw a gameplay video by dead_flip. I've readed this thread infinite times paying attention at all the updates with a smile in my face, waiting for the day the game would be anounced, and now that that day has come, I feel both happy and deeply disappointed.
You see, I've shook my head in disbelief when some questioned the price and value of this pin, and agree with those which, with the fortunate use of critical thinking pointed out how the money was used, and how an extra ramp or toy would not make a better game, however... at the same time I cannot feel less than astonished at how those who criticized the art were seen pretty much as heretics.
Some funny saying that you could see time and time again when the talking about the backglass art is "this is Scotty game and he's doing it for himself", yet this thread has a poll asking if you would buy the game. I'm the only one who feel confused at this contradiction?
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/58/58b60830d26ef5b1f63fd4edb732fe5c220cba41465f207836d5bf861c5ece40.jpg
ANYWAY.. back to the playfield art.
oh boy!
I want to make as clear as possible that I dont intend to be mean with anyone, that this is not personal but mere objective observations. Most likely this disclaimer won't save me of being catalogued as a dick anyway but whatever...
It looks to me like the person in charge of making the decisions was afraid of discouraging the artist, most likely a friend of someone... and choose to sacrifice the product instead. Either that or poor standards.
I design games myself and I do everything, and I can tell when the art sucks, even thought is my baby, and I think there are some obvious design traits in that playfield that ANYONE can notice, that is pointless to deny, and that don't belong into a product that wants to be professional and is sold for 6000 dollars.... and mostly, the biggest shame: are corrupting such a great game as TNA is.
See my attached image?
Green areas: what is this? really... like copy paste? hard to fill those spaces?
Red area: I loved the idea of the character facing forward that some mentioned, also... thats the third time that pyramid appears right? because I have it in the backglass and then right to the left, and also there... then again, like "i have no idea what I can put here"
Blue areas: terrible.
The whole violet with lines draws design remind me of when I tried to make an ilustration and regretting not being able to draw thought to myself "well, maybe I can draw some lines here and there and try to go for an industrial look and it would be ok"
why?
WHY??!
thanks God for mods.

Gary, is it true that Stern's new warranty voids all concerns of ghosting? Asking for a long time lurker.....

#1753 2 years ago

Grizlyrig
I'm sorry about being so vague, or am I?
I love the game and I defend its value and production until the point of art design... in my humble opinion, everything went downhill from there.
As for buying, no, I'm not buying... mostly because right now I can't afford it, otherwise maybe I would, even thought I'd definitely would ask if is possible to have a whitewood version I hope opinions are not reserved for those who are buying, as much as common sense tells me those who are buying should not be affected by the opinions of others.
Is quite obvious not everyone will have the same opinion about design, etc... but that life fact won't help that design either. sadly.
have a good one!

#1754 2 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Gary, is it true that Stern's new warranty voids all concerns of ghosting? Asking for a long time lurker.....

I just find it wonderfully ironic that "Spooky" has no "Ghosting".

#1755 2 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Not to get too into the minutiae - but I have to say my favorite part of the whole art package are these mysterious bad asses.

C.H.U.D.

#1756 2 years ago

Just an opinion... I think eventually you're going to find out that the epoxy is not fully cured and being stored laying down in racks the inserts sink with gravity. Not talking about a huge amount but enough to cause the ghosting that we are seeing. If you were to store in an upright rack until fully cured I don't think we would be seeing this issue. Basically assembly is being rushed.
Case in point..how long does it take Stern to assemble say 300 machines? And how long for Spooky? Maybe the fast production line is the problem.
This is all opinion and speculation on my part but it is also food for thought.
-Mike

#1757 2 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Case in point..how long does it take Stern to assemble say 300 machines? And how long for Spooky? Maybe the fast production line is the problem.
This is all opinion and speculation on my part but it is also food for thought

I think this is absolutely the issue. Stern moved to thicker clearcoat because that's what people want (old playfields used to wear), now they're dealing with all the issues that rushing a thick clearcoat comes with (ghosting, cracked clear).

Spooky I believe is up to maybe 2 games/day, Stern is around 50-60 per day.

All of this is a moot point though because every manufacturer (even spooky, unless they have a different method) should be ordering cleared playfields 2 weeks before production starts so that they fully cure, and playfields should be continued to order ahead of time. The playfield is the most crucial part seeing how it has the most labor.

#1758 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I think this is absolutely the issue. Stern moved to thicker clearcoat because that's what people want (old playfields used to wear), now they're dealing with all the issues that rushing a thick clearcoat comes with (ghosting, cracked clear).
Spooky I believe is up to maybe 2 games/day, Stern is around 50-60 per day.
All of this is a moot point though because every manufacturer (even spooky, unless they have a different method) should be ordering cleared playfields 2 weeks before production starts so that they fully cure, and playfields should be continued to order ahead of time. The playfield is the most crucial part seeing how it has the most labor.

I know that i had wait 14days or so for a AMH playfield to cure before spooky would ship it. So there doing it right and if you do have problem they all ways make it right.

I'm def buying this game the sound sold it for me and i forgot how fun alot of the 80's pins were before all the ramps/toys.

#1759 2 years ago

Isn't the map a relief map?

#1760 2 years ago

Guys, I wouldn't worry about the sound system. As Scott has said in past interviews I have listened to, he used a sub in a bandpass box.

He used a technique that gained a lot of popularity in the "boomin system" days of the 90's and 00's. A properly sized bandpass box will make a cheap $12 Partsdirect sub coupled with a half-way decent amp blast out anything else in your game room.

Pins don't sound as good as the TNA proto did because they use cheap under-powered amps, and a "Woofer" in a free air setup. The highs are rarely any good, nor crossed over correctly, if at all. None of this is expensive to put into a game, but always seems to be an after though from pinball designers.

#1761 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Isn't the map a relief map?

Looks like elevation contours to me. The future is evidently an island.

#1762 2 years ago
Quoted from fantarama:

at the same time I cannot feel less than astonished at how those who criticized the art were seen pretty much as heretics.

Some people didn't care for the the way in which the artist was attacked knowing that he likely worked his ass off on it and likely reads Pinside. That was unnecessary.

I happen to agree with some of your criticisms. Overall, I like the art package. However, I think there could be more detail on the playfield. I would like to see more of the thematic elements from the backglass brought down onto the playfield and side cabinet art. I also like the idea of the main character in the place of the pyramid in the lower playfield ala the Xenon. This machine is not in production yet so perhaps we could see an updated art package with constructive comments instead of insults (not meaning you).

#1763 2 years ago

I drew the island, no regerts

#1764 2 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Some people didn't care for the the way in which the artist was attacked knowing that he likely worked his ass off on it and likely reads Pinside. That was unnecessary.
I happen to agree with some of your criticisms. Overall, I like the art package. However, I think there could be more detail on the playfield. I would like to see more of the thematic elements from the backglass brought down onto the playfield and side cabinet art. I also like the idea of the main character in the place of the pyramid in the lower playfield ala the Xenon. This machine is not in production yet so perhaps we could see an updated art package with constructive comments instead of insults (not meaning you).

while I'm far from being the bleeding heart kind, I can see what you mean... and yes! sometimes people get a bit savage with their feedback. the problem I see is when the message get lost... even worse when the well intended reactions turn to "nevermind what the bad man said, the art is gorgeous, you are great!". then everything is lost.

back to that playfield! ...
I think too that most of the theme got wasted , like everything I can see is reactor.
If I would take a second shot at it, and, say... draw the character standing and looking forward between the flippers, all around I could draw the perspective of a futuristic city opening where that orange to fuchsia design develope at the bottom. and something to go along with the future city or chaos or war or explosions or whatever make more sense than air conditioner panels in the slingshots space.
I mean, I don't know in the current production version, but in the gameplay videos I saw, in the screen there was an animation that depicted flying over a futuristic city or something like that... also all the "welcome to the future" thingy, where's that??
I would put something about the war in the backglass at the top side spaces, maybe some of what is in the orbits now!
Talking about the orbits, aren't those the entrances to the reactor? why not stay on theme? and you know, try to draw movement? like if those were paths you want to go through..

This pin and its theme have so much potential, but right now ... you can do better!

Quoted from bangerjay:

I was wondering how that would be solved, loved the topography choice.

city1 (resized).jpg
city2 (resized).jpg
city3 (resized).jpg

#1765 2 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

But, it's not in the shape of a penis...

#1766 2 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

Looks like elevation contours to me. The future is evidently an island.

That's what I meant!

#1767 2 years ago
Quoted from fantarama:

I think too that most of the theme got wasted , like everything I can see is reactor.

I mean, that's the entire plot of the game.

I think people are missing the point - this isn't some epic journey laid out on the playfield, it's supposed to look abstract and 80s. I think it does that.

Would I do some things differently? Yes. But do I think they nailed the look they were going for? Also yes, and they did some stuff I never would have thought of.

#1768 2 years ago

Funny, there was a flood of comments early on praising the art, then a few folks saying how much they hate it. Either way, I'll try to explain my point of view on creating the visuals.

Some artists really want the masses to love their art, some artists really only care about expressing themselves and if people like it, great. Illustrators like myself care about those things, but mostly it's how the client feels about the work. In this case, Scott was the client, and he saw every step of the process. So for those who hate the art, it really doesn't matter because you can go make your own pinball machine and choose your artist and try to be happy. Scott came to me after seeing a poster I did years ago for Zidware on Ben Heck's Zombie Adventureland. He liked the glowing nuclear style and my illustrative skill. We didn't meet in person until SFGE in June, but we talked on Skype all the time about how the project was going, which I started conceptualizing in March.

This game is a brand new original theme from a new designer and a new artist. The entire purpose of the game is to make a game LIKE games from the 80s, but as they would imagine it would be in the future. The downside to this amount of creative freedom is that everyone has an idea in their head about what it should be, and if it doesn't come out close to that, they get upset.

My philosophy on this game was to visualize the story Scott told me in the backglass, and depict mostly the machine you're battling on the playfield. The backglass is a cool illustration in my preferred style, and it is what I did first to set the tone and color scheme. It has a bunch of fun Easter eggs, and I'm very pleased with the final product. Some people compare it to Overwatch, which is purely coincidental and unintentional, but I consider it a compliment because those character designs are awesome, and people love them. Thanks for putting me in good company.

On the playfield:
I believe the worst thing you can do as an artist is spend so much time creating detail and visual flourish that it ends up making it harder to see the ball. When I play a pinball machine in a dark room and there's tons of detail and black lines on the playfield, I come away feeling like it wasn't a good game because I couldn't see the ball. I feel like it's the machine's fault I lost, not mine. You may like this art style and think it's more valuable because it's more detailed, but sometimes less is more. This game kicks your butt as a white wood with only the lights as a visual distraction so I chose to leave a lot of areas "empty." Nothing is emptier than a whitewood, and yet only a handful of people have made it to the end of the game. In addition, my task was to work within my take on the "outrun" style. Outrun is mostly black with neon lines, sunsets, grids, and things like that, which makes it extremely not user-friendly when trying to track a ball flying around at 174538 mph. From the outset, I championed the idea that the flipper areas should be bright and visually basic so that you don't lose track of the ball. Sure, maybe I could have had more detail everywhere else, but I don't put in detail unless it has a purpose. Unlike the games I've worked on in the past, there was a lot of pressure not to screw this up because people already loved the existing gameplay. If you're one of the people who don't agree with my decisions or think I could have done more, that's fine, but Scott doesn't seem to think that, and it's his game.

#1769 2 years ago
Quoted from mandraws:

Funny, there was a flood of comments early on praising the art, then a few folks saying how much they hate it. Either way, I'll try to explain my point of view on creating the visuals.
Some artists really want the masses to love their art, some artists really only care about expressing themselves and if people like it, great. Illustrators like myself care about those things, but mostly it's how the client feels about the work. In this case, Scott was the client, and he saw every step of the process. So for those who hate the art, it really doesn't matter because you can go make your own pinball machine and choose your artist and try to be happy. Scott came to me after seeing a poster I did years ago for Zidware on Ben Heck's Zombie Adventureland. He liked the glowing nuclear style and my illustrative skill. We didn't meet in person until SFGE in June, but we talked on Skype all the time about how the project was going, which I started conceptualizing in March.
This game is a brand new original theme from a new designer and a new artist. The entire purpose of the game is to make a game LIKE games from the 80s, but as they would imagine it would be in the future. The downside to this amount of creative freedom is that everyone has an idea in their head about what it should be, and if it doesn't come out close to that, they get upset.
My philosophy on this game was to visualize the story Scott told me in the backglass, and depict mostly the machine you're battling on the playfield. The backglass is a cool illustration in my preferred style, and it is what I did first to set the tone and color scheme. It has a bunch of fun Easter eggs, and I'm very pleased with the final product. Some people compare it to Overwatch, which is purely coincidental and unintentional, but I consider it a compliment because those character designs are awesome, and people love them. Thanks for putting me in good company.
On the playfield:
I believe the worst thing you can do as an artist is spend so much time creating detail and visual flourish that it ends up making it harder to see the ball. When I play a pinball machine in a dark room and there's tons of detail and black lines on the playfield, I come away feeling like it wasn't a good game because I couldn't see the ball. I feel like it's the machine's fault I lost, not mine. You may like this art style and think it's more valuable because it's more detailed, but sometimes less is more. This game kicks your butt as a white wood with only the lights as a visual distraction so I chose to leave a lot of areas "empty." Nothing is emptier than a whitewood, and yet only a handful of people have made it to the end of the game. In addition, my task was to work within my take on the "outrun" style. Outrun is mostly black with neon lines, sunsets, grids, and things like that, which makes it extremely not user-friendly when trying to track a ball flying around at 174538 mph. From the outset, I championed the idea that the flipper areas should be bright and visually basic so that you don't lose track of the ball. Sure, maybe I could have had more detail everywhere else, but I don't put in detail unless it has a purpose. Unlike the games I've worked on in the past, there was a lot of pressure not to screw this up because people already loved the existing gameplay. If you're one of the people who don't agree with my decisions or think I could have done more, that's fine, but Scott doesn't seem to think that, and it's his game.

#1770 2 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Next time your draw on a whitewood think of the pinside future. At least use a fine tip sharpie. . Lol
We can take up a sharpie collection for you!

#1771 2 years ago

So now people are complaining about the art? Pinside is an odd place.

Perhaps Spooky should have just pulled a Stern and Photoshopped the source photos or just took the source material and ran a filter over them to make it look like hand drawn art, a la Star Wars or Game of Thrones; everyone loves when they do that. Oh wait, they can't?

People get an original theme, and still find reason to complain.

#1772 2 years ago

For me an option for a whitewood looking version of this would be amazing. I got so used to seeing this game in its original form it really really grew on me. I do like the artwork package now as well

#1773 2 years ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

For me an option for a whitewood looking version of this would be amazing. I got so used to seeing this game in its original form it really really grew on me. I do like the artwork package now as well

Agreed. In fact, while playing the game at Charlie's this past week, I asked him if it would be possible to print the playfield with just black. I just wanted borders, outlines and especially insert text.

I wouldn't do this because I dislike the art. In fact, I really like it, as did the friends that were with me. I would do this just to have a different game and because I also got used to no art.

#1774 2 years ago

The gameplay of TNA is great, I've watched the streams over and over. I also love the artwork, very unique for a modern game and I'm a huge fan of retro 80's which I think this pin has hit the nail on the head. I've added myself to the interested list

#1775 2 years ago

I just have 1 question...

WHEN and WHERE can I play this game next?????

#1776 2 years ago
Quoted from mandraws:

Illustrators like myself care about those things, but mostly it's how the client feels about the work. In this case, Scott was the client, and he saw every step of the process. So for those who hate the art, it really doesn't matter because you can go make your own pinball machine and choose your artist and try to be happy.

Pretty sure that's the ONLY path to making everyone happy about pinball art... we do all know that art is subjective right?! It's like debating what the greatest song ever written is. You can argue as to why something you like is the best, but you can't prove a thing.

I think Matt did an INCREDIBLY good job. It's not meant to be an 80's clone... It's a modern take on a retro style game. Pretty sure they didn't have crazy full RGB or LCD screens back then either but again, things that make this project unique.

This painting sold for $11.7 million.... Do better can of soup paintings exist? Are they worth more? Does the soup taste better when the painting is worth $11.7 million bucks?

I destroyed 5 reactors late Saturday night. Best game I've ever had! Nice break from working 7 days a week... pretty sure the awesome art is why I played so well.

Warhol4 (resized).jpg

#1777 2 years ago

ok, I lied...

1 more question...

Will I get my TnA in time to bring it to Mad Rollin? (Sept 22-23)

Destroy a reactor is a such a perfect golf goal!

#1778 2 years ago
Quoted from mandraws:

When I play a pinball machine in a dark room and there's tons of detail and black lines on the playfield, I come away feeling like it wasn't a good game because I couldn't see the ball. I feel like it's the machine's fault I lost, not mine. You may like this art style and think it's more valuable because it's more detailed, but sometimes less is more. This game kicks your butt as a white wood with only the lights as a visual distraction so I chose to leave a lot of areas "empty."

That's an interesting take. I find as a player - not that I'm particularly good and this probably ties into it - I tend to use artwork near the flippers to help align my shots. Grids, lines, fades, whatever is near the flippers as a point of reference v. the ball, is useful to help align a shot.

Obviously this has its drawbacks. For one, becoming too dependent on this can really throw you off as another example of the same title is rarely likely to have identical flipper alignment. For another, "art ref alignment" does not often account for the speed of balls in transit, and is really only useful from a cradle.

Politely, I can see where some of the detractors are coming from, and agree the playfield art is almost too spartan, and IMHO, the game logo near the flippers is redundant and something different would have been nice. BUT I also appreciate the design for what it is and understand how that works in context.

And as you point out, the openly sparse art style might actually be a big part of why this game plays as brutal as it does - and the play is a huge draw.

For players like myself it might even force us to play better and quit relying on art references for shot timing, which can only be a bonus!

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I applaud your efforts all around - it's a great looking game.

#1779 2 years ago

My feeling is the art is good but I don't care for the logo down by the flippers, it detracts from the immersion of the game. IMO

#1780 2 years ago

To those that have played... I hear each reactor is unique, and has a different approach to destroying it. Can someone please provide further details of the nuanced differences between reactors?

#1781 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

To those that have played... I hear each reactor is unique, and has a different approach to destroying it. Can someone please provide further details of the nuanced differences between reactors?

Each reactor takes more shots to unlock, and more (random) shots to destroy. Otherwise the process of startup and overheating each reactor is the same.

#1782 2 years ago
Quoted from mandraws:

Either way, I'll try to explain my point of view on creating the visuals.

Thanks for the information on your approach to the artwork on the playfield. That really helps explain why it looks the way it does. Great job.

In case you're interested, here is more of Matt's work...

http://mandraws.com/

#1783 2 years ago

I really want to play this game! Another great question is when can we expect to see some gameplay footage?

#1784 2 years ago

Plus hi resolution photos?

#1785 2 years ago

Any particular reason why Bally-style flipper bats weren't used? Seems like they would match the early SS vibe better.

#1786 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Any particular reason why Bally-style flipper bats weren't used? Seems like they would match the early SS vibe better.

Yes, the reason is they chose to use different flippers than those.

#1787 2 years ago

Reading this thread, it's clear to me that almost everyone is 100% supportive of this awesome project but people are just being supportive in different ways:

1. Constructive Criticism which is very different than trolling or just trashing TNA. These supporters just want TNA to become all that it can be by discussing things that are lacking and can be improved. This is something you might get from a sport coach.

2. Great job! Love everything! keep up the great work! I'm on your team and everything is awesome! These are the kinds of things you hear from grandma or good friends that are rallying behind the accomplishments of someone they love.

My point is that we humans are very tribal and quickly organize ourselves into groups, either for or against a cause and this is exactly what's happened on this thread now.

Another distinction to make is whether this is an A. home brew game made for the love of pinball or is this a B. commercial venture now that needs to be successful on some level?

If sales of TNA are important on some level then it is B for sure so let's check that box.

Now before this was B, the only response to anything about this project should be 2. above (love and support like from grandma). Now that it is B., constructive criticism is far more important because this is the community that will be buying this game.

How did JJP respond to Hobbit playfield critiques? They went back to the drawing board and greatly improved it.

As children we all want and need family and friends to wrap us in their love and support but as adults we have to learn that this love and support takes different forms sometimes - it's called growing up and is especially important in business ventures like restaurants say - maybe pinball too.

--

I've read and heard enough to know that a great number of pinsiders, all staunch supporters of TNA, say that the playfield art is too sparse - it is just lacking. Really it has no characters or details - just some colors. It looks very homebrewish. It's nothing against the artist personally, we are just talking about a thing - we are talking about a product that will be available for release here so it's time to put on your business lenses. We all just want it to be the best it can be.

Now if in the paragraph above, you celebrate the fact that it looks homebrew... that's great. My point is that this will greatly affect sales of the pin because most buyers would prefer a professional and consistent art package.

So, if there is any time left, please reconsider the art package as this is an extremely important aspect of a pin for many and currently the awesomeness of the art does not meet the awesomeness of the pin. Total Nuclear Annhiliation is simply so good it deserves better art!

And please understand that love can take many forms - we all want TNA to be the very best it can be.

#1788 2 years ago
Quoted from mandraws:

I believe the worst thing you can do as an artist is spend so much time creating detail and visual flourish that it ends up making it harder to see the ball. When I play a pinball machine in a dark room and there's tons of detail and black lines on the playfield, I come away feeling like it wasn't a good game because I couldn't see the ball. I feel like it's the machine's fault I lost, not mine.

I LOVE the heavy line art stuff and don’t find it distracting at all. Not saying it’d work or look good for TNA, but to all current and upcoming playfield artists out there, please don’t change your approach if this is your thing…you have fans! A plurality of styles out in the marketplace is a good thing.

In any case, TNA looks really good. My favorite part of the art is the top-down perspective stuff…I miss that in a lot of the newer games. I think it’s an underused technique that really contributes to the “world under glass” feeling that a lot of people talk about wanting more of.

#1789 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

People get an original theme, and still find reason to complain.

Two people, one kind of a jerk and the other constructive, don't really count as "The People" to me. The vast majority like it. In fact, TNA has a lot less detractors than every single pinball release in recent memory. I think only two people not liking it is a miracle.

#1790 2 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

I've read and heard enough to know that a great number of pinsiders, all staunch supporters of TNA, say that the playfield art is too sparse - it is just lacking.

"Great number"? You make three.

Frankly, given the nature of the game - hyper fast and brutal - overly complex artwork like, say, Ghostbusters, would probably render the game unplayable. Also, the style harkens back to a more abstract 80's Bally style of pinball, which this game is trying to update to modern style. In my opinion it succeeds.

I think those who don't like the art should play some games on it with the art and decide then, rather than flatly say it's wrong. For once in a long time, the artist took gameplay into account when designing. That should be commended.

#1791 2 years ago

I want to get one really bad, I love everything about it. Considering putting my PM up for sale just to get a TNA lol, thats how bad I want it!

#1792 2 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

As children we all want and need family and friends to wrap us in their love and support but as adults we have to learn that this love and support takes different forms sometimes - it's called growing up and is especially important in business ventures like restaurants say - maybe pinball too.

You typed alot of words to passive aggressively say "If you don't completely redesign the playfield art to my specific tastes, you are children". Unsure if you were intentionally trying to mask your judgement in a bunch of "everybody agrees" language, or are simply unaware of how you are coming off....such a fine line and all.

#1793 2 years ago

I've played a fair amount of pinballs and pretty much all have complex art all over the place. To be honest this concept of plain art to be able to see the moving ball is quite revolutionary, I can't wrap my head around the fact that no body came up with that before... thats really weird if you come to think about it! You guys should contact NASA.

#1794 2 years ago
Quoted from fantarama:

I've played a fair amount of pinballs and pretty much all have complex art all over the place.

Your snarky reply notwithstanding, here's an example - AFM.

AFM PF

You'll note the graphics are substantially simpler near the flippers in an arc. In fact it's large, wide bars of colours until just under the mode inserts, including single colours in the lanes. That follows the idea of keeping it less distracting around the flippers. I could probably find more examples if you like.

#1795 2 years ago
Quoted from fantarama:

I've played a fair amount of pinballs and pretty much all have complex art all over the place. To be honest this concept of plain art to be able to see the moving ball is quite revolutionary, I can't wrap my head around the fact that no body came up with that before... thats really weird if you come to think about it! You guys should contact NASA.

A bit snarky but distracting artwork affecting the ability to see/follow the ball is news to me as well.

Now crazy flashing GI is another story...

#1796 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

A bit snarky but distracting artwork affecting the ability to see/follow the ball is news to me as well.
Now crazy flashing GI is another story...

Well at least now I know why my scores aren't so hot... the damn artwork has been distracting me from following the ball all this time!

Personally I think it looks ok... it's simply an empty gradient of "Miami Vice" colors but the plastics, etc work well with it and it does indeed have it's own look. I hated that color scheme on the few "Outrun" type games that used them in the past but I don't mind it on this...

I think it's crazy to yell at people who don't like the art as it's subjective. Should they say they love it if they don't? Of course not. I'm sure the artist fully understands this. There's a hundred ways they could have approached the art on this but this is what they went for.

But don't begrudge people for trying to get in their opinion. It's a forum. Goes with the territory.

Those apron stickers gotta go though... are those radioactive gummi-men on them? I'm confused but I don't know the plot behind this either

In any case I'm delighted to to see Spooky producing a game SO different from everybody else. Gameplay looks like a winner indeed. Congrats to Scott and Spooky.

#1797 2 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I think it's crazy to yell at people who don't like the art as it's subjective.

It's not crazy to tell people they're being assholes when they say stupid things like the artist must be an intern because Spooky and Scott are cheap and lazy though. Scott, Charlie, and Matt are right here, reading this thread ffs.

Don't like the art, who cares. But show some class. Some of the people in this thread wouldn't be welcome in my house, that's for damn sure.

#1798 2 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Those apron stickers gotta go though... are those radioactive gummi-men on them? I'm confused but I don't know the plot behind this either
In any case I'm delighted to to see Spooky producing a game SO different from everybody else. Gameplay looks like a winner indeed. Congrats to Scott and Spooky.

yeah, surprised no one else said anything about them yet. they seem out of place for sure.

fwiw I love the whole package besides those stickers

there are some figures in the left orbit I wish I could see better to tell how they look

#1799 2 years ago

I can't wait to buy this game. They're batching this right? 200 or something at a time, and then switching the line to AC? And then back?

#1800 2 years ago

Question for Spooky (and others who may know): what brand parts are being used for common items such as flipper assemblies, slingshots, targets, etc.?? Are these Spooky specific or do they interchange with other manufacturers (B/W, Stern)? While I understand and realize that every pin has game-specific parts it would be nice to know that commonly replaced wear type items are interchangeable with other brands, thus making long term ownership more feasible....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jacksonville, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sylacauga, AL
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
There are 7250 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 145.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside