Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 84 days ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 183 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 156 votes
    14%
  • No 219 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 324 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 63 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 44 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 34 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1142 votes by 940 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 842 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 7250 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 145.
#1701 2 years ago

I'm on the side of wanting to know about the sound system... the sub, speakers and all...

Also curious about the vibration affecting the hardware of the game?

I like everything overall on the art.

I'm on the list, I might wait for run 2 or 3, the price is a little high for a 2017 purchase for me.

#1702 2 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I'm on the side of wanting to know about the sound system... the sub, speakers and all...
Also curious about the vibration affecting the hardware of the game?

Starting at 18:09 talks about the sound system and why it won't rattle the cabinet the way other sub mods would.

#1703 2 years ago

This game is looking awesome.

#1704 2 years ago

I think this pin would fit perfectly in a 3-5 pin collection. It complements the standard flow pins and stop and go pin, by offering fast target gameplay to test accuracy and speed.

#1705 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I hear you. My thoughts arent for you to remove what you enjoy, but perhaps a way that myself, and maybe others
might be able to buy the game.
Seriously, some of us old farts on meds, get hearing issues...for me, its a constant ringing. So, games with soundtracks that are repetitive like Tron or TnA, simply produce headaches.
Again, Im speaking for myself, and i dont know if I can Mod this myself, but as much as you dont like AC/DC, I can see playing this game to heavy sounds I can handle...SOAD, or Excision, as my son asked, as an example.
» YouTube video
Just a thought...Id love to add more...not take away, but I appreciate the feedback!

It looks like TNA is going to be built using a framework called SkeletonGame. I can't say for certain, but I don't think the audio assets are going to be protected or locked away in some manner, so you will likely be able to open up the SD card or whatever the game is stored on, then replace the music files directly with your own. You'll just have to convert your MP3 files into Ogg Vorbis or Wave file format, which shouldn't be too difficult with free tools like Audacity.

http://skeletongame.com/step-3-adding-assets-images-sound-etc/

Edit: If you want to add more songs instead of just replace songs, you'll have to change the game logic, which is obviously going to be more advanced. One solution that avoids having to reprogram the game would be to modify the game's audio files by adding more songs to the end of each one. Like you change "Reactor 1 Song.wav" to add your Excision song on the end of it. You'll probably have to have a pretty long ball time to be able to hear your song, but that would be one way to do it without any programming. You could use Audacity to combine audio like this.

#1706 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

as long as you don't get nasty, you should be able to express your opinion.

Sure, but he was being a tool. He could have just said he didn't like the art but he had to go on a rant about hiring a pro, which is hugely insulting. You can express your opinion without being a prick.

#1707 2 years ago

Emailed the Spooky crew with interest when they announced at first, as more and more info comes out its more exciting! Looks like a perfect blend. Price point is decent too. Seems like a fair amount to me for what you will get.

#1708 2 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

And let me tell you..... Brightest start button I ever seen!!

1. How tall is the height of the game and the top of the backbox as well as at the top of the beacon.
2. Will there be speaker panel art too or as an add on option?
3. Will there be an aftermarket option for light backbox speakers?

#1709 2 years ago

Man this looks rad

#1710 2 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

1. How tall is the height of the game and the top of the backbox as well as at the top of the beacon.
3. Will there be an aftermarket option for light backbox speakers?

I think these are questions that would be best answered by Charlie or Kayte . They are both very nice and I'm sure if you email them they will get back to you with answers as soon as they can. Give them a little time I bet their inboxes are overflowing after the reveal of this game .

#1711 2 years ago

-EDITED for BUTT HURT Pinsiders-

There's so much real estate on the playfield that could have been utilized and filled with amazing illustrations. The theme ROCKS but there's just too much empty space and simple line art.

The other thing that bothers me is it looks photoshopped, meaning it doesn't look screen printed like EVERY machine from the 80's which used dots patterns, lines, color traps, etc.

As for the rules and layout being basic, i actually LIKE that aspect of it, just think a little more could have been done. The new games are so deep you have to read a thick manual to learn all the rules, and then if you feel like getting anywhere in the game you need to set aside 20-40 min or even hours to get through it. I like fast, brutal games that rely on skill and have a straight forward rule set.

All that being said, if you guys like it, that's awesome. It just doesn't do it for me.

#1712 2 years ago

You say you weren't trying to offend and then put the word artist in quotes and say it looks like something a teenager that just learned photoshop did . Clearly you are trying to offend. I have no problem with someone saying something offensive , but why say you are not trying to offend and then say something offensive in the very next sentence? At least own your stance on the artwork . Care to post any of your artwork on pinside? If you have been doing this for 30 plus years you should have nothing to worry about .

#1713 2 years ago
Quoted from XXVII:

It looks like TNA is going to be built using a framework called SkeletonGame. I can't say for certain, but I don't think the audio assets are going to be protected or locked away in some manner, so you will likely be able to open up the SD card or whatever the game is stored on, then replace the music files directly with your own. You'll just have to convert your MP3 files into Ogg Vorbis or Wave file format, which shouldn't be too difficult with free tools like Audacity.
http://skeletongame.com/step-3-adding-assets-images-sound-etc/
Edit: If you want to add more songs instead of just replace songs, you'll have to change the game logic, which is obviously going to be more advanced. One solution that avoids having to reprogram the game would be to modify the game's audio files by adding more songs to the end of each one. Like you change "Reactor 1 Song.wav" to add your Excision song on the end of it. You'll probably have to have a pretty long ball time to be able to hear your song, but that would be one way to do it without any programming. You could use Audacity to combine audio like this.

Thank you kindly for your time in this reply!

What great news! For me, I can now add this to possible NIB!
With Stern just shooting themselves in the foot, TnA is looking good!

I would think with an open system of sound, the opportunity to "jukebox it",
is a huge winner for everyone!

#1714 2 years ago

Sure, i have a bunch of work i could show you. The corporate stuff is pretty boring. Logos, websites, brochures, etc. I retired and shelved all that about 8 years ago. Since then i've been working exclusively on restoring my own collection. Mostly restoring original artwork for arcade games from the 80's and a few from the 70's and 90's. However some games had no art packages or very limited artwork, for those i came up with custom artwork. I tried very hard to match the artwork style of the manufacturer and the era the game was built.

Quoted from trilogybeer:

You say you weren't trying to offend and then put the word artist in quotes and say it looks like something a teenager that just learned photoshop did . Clearly you are trying to offend. I have no problem with someone saying something offensive , but why say you are not trying to offend and then say something offensive in the very next sentence? At least own your stance on the artwork . Care to post any of your artwork on pinside? If you have been doing this for 30 plus years you should have nothing to worry about .

#1715 2 years ago

Here's some of the art projects i've completed.

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 11.41.20 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 11.41.56 PM (resized).png

#1716 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I love that about IM it may have way less rules than ST but I like playing it more.

I think the IM vs TNA comparison is interesting; both games are addictive and share this "one more game feel". Both share an immersive music which is an essential component of the game. Both have relatively simple rules. Both are fast and unforgiving.
I might be wrong, but I think people who like IM will like TNA as well.

#1717 2 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

You pixel arted each of the folder icons?
Why didn't you just copy & paste 'em?

#1718 2 years ago

Alright, someone buy my GB so I can buy this. I'm sold.

#1719 2 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

I would love to see the speaker panel done in brushed stainless like the side rails. Something like what Kerry makes.

https://mantispinball.com/product/williams-wpc-95-metal-speaker-panel/

I would also like to see the legs done this way.

#1720 2 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I would love to see the speaker panel done in brushed stainless like the side rails. Something like what Kerry makes.

Heard you were a leg guy

#1721 2 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Heard you were a leg guy

Your's are nice.

#1722 2 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Nice call, you sir have an eye for this sort of thing

#1723 2 years ago

Don't feed the PACMAN troll. Ignore him and he'll go away.

#1724 2 years ago

if we're talking suggestions for display panel mods: as the playfield lightshow on this game is amazing, how great would it be to have that continue on the speaker panel and backglass? Not so much with the different colors but continuing those swipes would be cool. LEDs are almost flat now, so installing these on the speaker panel should not be a problem. Would be nice to put a plastic panel in front of it on which the backglass art work continue. Put backbox door behind backglass to put LEDs on et voila. Could also work as one big backglass with speaker cutouts live on CV. Either way more cool retro futurism artwork would be needed

#1725 2 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Alright, someone buy my GB so I can buy this. I'm sold.

Same!

#1726 2 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

At least own your stance on the artwork . Care to post any of your artwork on pinside? If you have been doing this for 30 plus years you should have nothing to worry about .

I can assure you, I have been watching this fellow (fizgig, PACMAN) restore games for about a decade on the klov forums and here on pinside, he has posted countless photos of his art there and here. He has a very good grip on what arcade and pinball art is and what it should be.

He's very passionate about making everything with a games art flow perfectly, and I agree with his observations.

However, I'm not in control of the art direction, and have no say so in the matter, I like the direction the guys went... so I'll leave it at this...

The art (from our perspective) has only been in production for 4 months... I feel there should have been more attention to detail on the playfield and the cabinet, maybe more detail, or more hand drawn aspects. noone has complained about the price, but I feel like for 6k, and the hype with this machine, every square inch should have been epic.

With that said, I know making pinball is hard and pleasing everyone is more difficult. I'll buy the game and be happy with it because it's awesome as is... but in the words of Nate Shivers (coast to coast podcast)
"If you're going to do something; really do it"

#1727 2 years ago

I'm on record that I love the pin, probably buy one so I'm not a hater in any way.

I think (maybe) what he's saying is that it looks homemade. I mean it's not detailed. Look at the center, I mean everything below the center standup bank and the flippers.

There is a map (?) that looks like it's been drawn by hand with 9 lights in it. I think maybe the idea was this was map that was drawn by the resistance so they just drew a crude map. I would think maybe it would have been done with a little more pizzas or flair but as it is everything in the middle of the PF is very simple. Not a ton of depth or detail.

I am not saying it's bad either, just a design choice and it reminds me somewhat of the flat aspect of T2.

I like the art a lot but it looks homemade, may have been the look they were going for, very simple style.

T2-Pinball-Arcade (resized).jpg4a23ebc3bba55734418a0e0ea01d013f62bdc3f4 (resized).png

#1728 2 years ago

i personally like the art package. This was just a game put together for the sole purpose to say "hey look what I did" and share it amongst friends. It was never intended to be mass produced. So I think the comment about the center looking hand drawn is just paying tribute to the beginnings of this game because it was in fact had drawn by one of Scott's friends with a sharpie.

I hope they do runs of this game for awhile and I can play one at a show because I think I'm in.

#1729 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I mean it's not detailed.

If TNA had let's say...TF art plastered all over it. Would you be able to see the ball properly as it is now rocketing 99.9% faster around the center PF than TF ever could?
No, probably not.
Even the fade to orange/yellow is keenly placed to help aid in tracking the shiny chaos.

#1730 2 years ago

How many pizzas does the game currently have?

#1731 2 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I can assure you, I have been watching this fellow (fizgig, PACMAN) restore games for about a decade on the klov forums and here on pinside, he has posted countless photos of his art there and here. He has a very good grip on what arcade and pinball art is and what it should be.
He's very passionate about making everything with a games art flow perfectly, and I agree with his observations.
However, I'm not in control of the art direction, and have no say so in the matter, I like the direction the guys went... so I'll leave it at this...
The art (from our perspective) has only been in production for 4 months... I feel there should have been more attention to detail on the playfield and the cabinet, maybe more detail, or more hand drawn aspects. noone has complained about the price, but I feel like for 6k, and the hype with this machine, every square inch should have been epic.
With that said, I know making pinball is hard and pleasing everyone is more difficult. I'll buy the game and be happy with it because it's awesome as is... but in the words of Nate Shivers (coast to coast podcast)
"If you're going to do something; really do it"

I've seen some of his restoration work here on pinside and it looks very well done . But I wanted to see some of his original artwork. I have pm'd him in hopes that he will send a link to me .

#1732 2 years ago

Can anyone share any insight into the rules and modes? I get that you have to gain access to nine nuclear reactors, and overload them in the upper area... But what nuances can anyone share beyond that?

#1733 2 years ago

Good news for our NZ friends-

IMG_5228 (resized).PNG

#1734 2 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

I've seen some of his restoration work here on pinside and it looks very well done . But I wanted to see some of his original artwork. I have pm'd him in hopes that he will send a link to me .

I think some of it is on the "What Arcades do you own" thread, it would be cool to see the catalog of original art

#1735 2 years ago

I think the art's nice, but I do, broadly speaking, miss that 70s-80s dense-detail comics artstyle - it's rarer now for a pinball playfield to really be a true work of art in the way they used to be.

#1736 2 years ago

I'd love to see some hi res pictures also.

#1737 2 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Cool story bro.

Done anything original?

#1738 2 years ago

I don't like the art at all, but at some point you come to the rational conclusion that there is so much more to talk about with this pin than just the art. Go Scott!!

#1739 2 years ago

People who have played this game(myself included) are excited by the awesome sound, interesting layout and gameplay. Anything other than the whitewood is an improvement. The artwork looks fine. People are gonna nit pick on Pinside. It's what they do. I for one am glad to see TNA going to production and look forward to playing it more in the future!

#1740 2 years ago
Quoted from johnnyutah:

Congratulations rotor. I had david bring me in my rob zombie very happy with his service and with rz. Thanks spooky for making something different. Tna looks great and from the buzz generated at our last meet just weekend been, tna looks like a winner. Spooky keep supporting talented designers. great pin scott.

#1741 2 years ago
Quoted from johnnyutah:

Thanks for posting that.

Charlie, KT and team make a quality product, and are great people, and I am happy to support them in any way.

People enjoy playing my AMH and RZ, so the more Spooky games I can get down here, the more people get to play them.

I'm selling them at the same price they are in the USA ($5999 USD) so it's not a money making scheme lol. Buyers will pay for the games directly and I organise everything else for them.

Basically it's just an extension of me helping out people to import pins from the USA which I already do anyway. The more pins we have in NZ the better for the pin community.

rd

#1742 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I'm selling them at the same price they are in the USA ($5999 USD) so it's not a money making scheme lol. Buyers will pay for the games directly and I organise everything else for them

rotordave you sir are awesome
-Mike

#1743 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Basically it's just an extension of me helping out people to import pins from the USA which I already do anyway. The more pins we have in NZ the better for the pin community.

Hey! Quit stealing all our pins!

#1744 2 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Hey! Quit stealing all our pins!

You got plenty. You won't even notice

rd

#1745 2 years ago

This is just step one of RDs plan for world domination!

#1746 2 years ago
Quoted from davijc02:

This is just step one of RDs plan for world domination!

RD is old and tired and can't be bothered with such things anymore. He would rather muck around and play pinball with his daughter and annoy his little dogs haha

rd

#1747 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Thanks for posting that.
Charlie, KT and team make a quality product, and are great people, and I am happy to support them in any way.
People enjoy playing my AMH and RZ, so the more Spooky games I can get down here, the more people get to play them.
I'm selling them at the same price they are in the USA ($5999 USD) so it's not a money making scheme lol. Buyers will pay for the games directly and I organise everything else for them.
rd

Nice work Dave. So I guess I'll be playing this in NZ in March huh?

#1748 2 years ago

Hello pinsiders!
been lurking for a long while, and this is my first post in here, and oh boy I'm already regretting it... but I have to say it!

Quoted from PACMAN:

-EDITED for BUTT HURT Pinsiders-
There's so much real estate on the playfield that could have been utilized and filled with amazing illustrations. The theme ROCKS but there's just too much empty space and simple line art.
The other thing that bothers me is it looks photoshopped, meaning it doesn't look screen printed like EVERY machine from the 80's which used dots patterns, lines, color traps, etc.
As for the rules and layout being basic, i actually LIKE that aspect of it, just think a little more could have been done. The new games are so deep you have to read a thick manual to learn all the rules, and then if you feel like getting anywhere in the game you need to set aside 20-40 min or even hours to get through it. I like fast, brutal games that rely on skill and have a straight forward rule set.
All that being said, if you guys like it, that's awesome. It just doesn't do it for me.

THIS.

I love this game since the first time I saw a gameplay video by dead_flip. I've readed this thread infinite times paying attention at all the updates with a smile in my face, waiting for the day the game would be anounced, and now that that day has come, I feel both happy and deeply disappointed.

You see, I've shook my head in disbelief when some questioned the price and value of this pin, and agree with those which, with the fortunate use of critical thinking pointed out how the money was used, and how an extra ramp or toy would not make a better game, however... at the same time I cannot feel less than astonished at how those who criticized the art were seen pretty much as heretics.
Some funny saying that you could see time and time again when the talking about the backglass art is "this is Scotty game and he's doing it for himself", yet this thread has a poll asking if you would buy the game. I'm the only one who feel confused at this contradiction?
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/58/58b60830d26ef5b1f63fd4edb732fe5c220cba41465f207836d5bf861c5ece40.jpg

ANYWAY.. back to the playfield art.
oh boy!
I want to make as clear as possible that I dont intend to be mean with anyone, that this is not personal but mere objective observations. Most likely this disclaimer won't save me of being catalogued as a dick anyway but whatever...

It looks to me like the person in charge of making the decisions was afraid of discouraging the artist, most likely a friend of someone... and choose to sacrifice the product instead. Either that or poor standards.
I design games myself and I do everything, and I can tell when the art sucks, even thought is my baby, and I think there are some obvious design traits in that playfield that ANYONE can notice, that is pointless to deny, and that don't belong into a product that wants to be professional and is sold for 6000 dollars.... and mostly, the biggest shame: are corrupting such a great game as TNA is.

See my attached image?
Green areas: what is this? really... like copy paste? hard to fill those spaces?
Red area: I loved the idea of the character facing forward that some mentioned, also... thats the third time that pyramid appears right? because I have it in the backglass and then right to the left, and also there... then again, like "i have no idea what I can put here"
Blue areas: terrible.
The whole violet with lines draws design remind me of when I tried to make an ilustration and regretting not being able to draw thought to myself "well, maybe I can draw some lines here and there and try to go for an industrial look and it would be ok"

why?
WHY??!

thanks God for mods.

TnA_Playfield-details (resized).jpg

#1749 2 years ago

fantarama...Your first post and I can't figure out if you are defending it's production or putting it down? I can't even tell if you want to buy it or not. Your thoughts are playing both sides of the fence. In any case no one is forcing you to buy it or mod it or whatever it is your thinking.
As for the poll,it was started in the very beginning to get an idea if this homebrew game from Scott was something that could get into production as so many of us fell for it after seeing it at shows and videos of gameplay.
Not everyone will have the same opinion about design or flow of a game and as for art work,all I can say about that is plenty loved this machine before as a whitewood table and everyone will have a different perspective.
I am a guaranteed buyer without any hesitation. And yes I am a Spooky fan.
-Mike

#1750 2 years ago

Not to get too into the minutiae - but I have to say my favorite part of the whole art package are these mysterious bad asses.

IMG_0654 (resized).PNG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sylacauga, AL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jacksonville, FL
$ 50.00
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
There are 7250 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 145.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside