Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 183 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 156 votes
    14%
  • No 219 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 324 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 63 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 44 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 34 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1142 votes by 940 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 842 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 7250 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 145.
#1251 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I still don't get the comments about "I envisioned this artwork, or that artwork, or this layout, or these rules." If you envisioned something [else], go build your own pin!

QFFT.

Would I have done something differently if I had the ability to make this? Probably. But I don't yet (and might never) have that ability, so meanwhile I'm shutting up and marveling at what's been accomplished anyway, filing away the points for reference if/when the day comes when I do make an attempt. A lot of armchair designers would be wiser if they did the same.

Shoot, could you imagine if this site was running in the 90's? "Waaah, Fester's head looks stupid. Waaah, rafting is a dumb theme and they just did a fishing game WTF? Waah, AFM is too sparse. Waah, Monty Python's heyday was 20 years ago." Instead WMS built whatever the hell they wanted to and you either liked it or you didn't, the game stood on its merits either way whether the complaints were valid or not.

Everything I read about TNA has me more juiced to try it out and jealous of those who have. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

#1252 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I watched the Deadflip Stream, part 1 again and I'm STILL stoked that Spooky is working out the logistics to put this into production. I still regret not playing it more at MGC this year. I would love to have this pin in my basement. I still don't get the comments about "I envisioned this artwork, or that artwork, or this layout, or these rules." If you envisioned something that you didn't expect this pin to be, go build your own pin! If you open up your expectations a bit, you will not be disappointed. If you get a chance to play this game, you most certainly will not be disappointed!
For the record, I really enjoy the art. It's an original theme to boot, just like how pinball was back in the hayday. This only thing I'm disappointed with is the wait time to play this again!

Welcome to Pinside... where the Pinside Babies kick and scream when things don't meet their ridiculously narrow standards.

Agree with you 100%.

#1253 2 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

So glad the SFGE crowd enjoyed the game! I've had the pleasure of watching this game get built from the ground up when Scott started on it early last year. To think that he's done the music, sounds, code, cad and assembly is quite a feat for any seasoned designer. To think that this is his first design out the gate is simply amazing, and I can't see what else he has in store. It reminds me of the Brian Eddy story where he just comes out of the programming world into game design and starts just crushing numbers for the current time.
I wouldn't speculate on BoM costs until they finish building the prototypes. Though, as alluded to in this thread, a ramp really only adds about $80-100 to the cost of a game, and that includes the high upfront cost of having the molds made (the pulls themselves are fairly cheap). For those thinking this is a "simple" game, please take a look at the hardware underneath the playfield. It has more coils than most games. The entire playfield is a huge RGB LED matrix. The game has one of the best sound systems (and soundtracks) in all of pinball. The game has segment displays in addition to a full LCD display (and segment displays for pinball are crazy expensive).
However, at the end of the day, I'm happy to see a FUN throwback pinball machine get made. Even better, I'm happy to see Spooky get a new designer. And even better, I'm happy that its Scott Danesi. He's a great guy, and a true asset to the industry.
Congrats Scott!

I didn't realize that he only started this in early of last year. That is very impressive!

#1254 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Scott said he's going to design a P3 game in the future!

I would love to see what Scott could do creating a killer interactive experience on the P3! If he can create a mesmerizing street level game with wood, metal, plastic, lights and a killer sound system, where else could he take a vision with the addition of a huge LCD playfield?

Damn! Pinball is cool!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#1256 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Welcome to Pinside... where the Pinside Babies kick and scream when things don't meet their ridiculously narrow standards.
Agree with you 100%.

Agreed. I wish everyone would just be raving fanboys of everything and only speak up with effusive praise for everything always!

Pinsiders are such meanies!

#1257 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Agreed. I wish everyone would just be raving fanboys of everything and only speak up with effusive praise for everything always!
Pinsiders are such meanies!

Not "meanies." Babies. They like to whine about everything. Some pinsiders can be a**holes too, but that's a different topic altogether.

People can have their opinions. They shouldn't bash, or all-of-a-sudden be expert programmers or designers. Pinsiders are fickle. They focus on one tiny spec of a detail, and generalize and say it's terrible without looking at the entire package. Just look at the Star Wars thread. I essentially stated that it wasn't for me, but you've got a lot of the same, "If it were me, I would have done this..." But you have to understand that Stern, and a one-off machine that Scott essentially built in his basement, on his own, are two completely different entities. And to be able to build a machine SO WELL, that a pinball company tells you, "let's talk about putting this into production"? That's an accomplishment. But people instead are focusing on the art style, or the purple hair, or the font, or the laser lines. Seriously, people.

#1258 2 years ago

But people instead are focusing on the art style, or the purple hair, or the font, or the laser lines. Seriously, people.
-^^^ Well said and so true.
-Mike

#1259 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Not "meanies." Babies. They like to whine about everything. Some pinsiders can be a**holes too, but that's a different topic altogether.
People can have their opinions. They shouldn't bash, or all-of-a-sudden be expert programmers or designers. Pinsiders are fickle. They focus on one tiny spec of a detail, and generalize and say it's terrible without looking at the entire package. Just look at the Star Wars thread. I essentially stated that it wasn't for me, but you've got a lot of the same, "If it were me, I would have done this..." But you have to understand that Stern, and a one-off machine that Scott essentially built in his basement, on his own, are two completely different entities. And to be able to build a machine SO WELL, that a pinball company tells you, "let's talk about putting this into production"? That's an accomplishment. But people instead are focusing on the art style, or the purple hair, or the font, or the laser lines. Seriously, people.

Agree. I wish people would stop sharing their opinion on the interweb. Thats not what it was meant for!! Meanies everywhere!

#1260 2 years ago

I very much enjoyed this pin at SFGE. I would buy it just like it sits if the price was right. Game play to me is the key deciding factor when I purchase a pin. This pin gives me what I want. Whatever art work comes included is ok with me.

#1261 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Whether anyone likes the art direction or not, I still don't understand why it's being likened to anime!

What if I said "Lara Croft-ish" instead? BTW, Tomb Raider is theme that I might be interested in . . . kind of cross between Congo & TNA.

Regardless, this is an exciting title with lots of promise.

TR.jpg

#1262 2 years ago
Quoted from codered9394:

I very much enjoyed this pin at SFGE. I would buy it just like it sits if the price was right. Game play to me is the key deciding factor when I purchase a pin. This pin gives me what I want. Whatever art work comes included is ok with me.

Curious what you feel is the right price for purchasing one as is.

#1263 2 years ago

The game looks like a blast to play, but the art is not what I had envisioned--seems like we are going to play laser tag instead of committing total nuclear annihilation--just my opinion.

#1264 2 years ago

Seriously, if you like the game and hate the translite, make your own! The game is incredible and will be even more incredible when the graphics are updated and the art is on it (and it's in a standard cabinet). But what a game! It was probably mentioned but it won multiple categories at the SFGE. It even had "Best EM" votes! Scott and Charley Rock!

#1265 2 years ago

what are the release details? Is there a timeline? I'm done with Stern so I'm looking for other NIB pins...

#1266 2 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

But people instead are focusing on the art style, or the purple hair, or the font, or the laser lines. Seriously, people.
-^^^ Well said and so true.
-Mike

Yeah sucks having to hear your customers comments when all you really want to do is painlessly extract multi-thousand dollars out of their wallet for your non-essential toy product. Just sucks I tell ya!

I'm sure they would prefer the dead silence of a disinterested graveyard over here than the excited chatter of free publicity

#1267 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

what are the release details? Is there a timeline? I'm done with Stern so I'm looking for other NIB pins...

I don't think there's been any timeline proposed yet? MY worthless opinion is some time in 2018 they will begin shipping.

#1268 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I don't think there's been any timeline proposed yet? MY worthless opinion is some time in 2018 they will begin shipping.

It's okay,I have patience. Gives me time to make financial maneuvers.
-Mike

#1269 2 years ago

I may have talked my brother into one of these and his newest game is an original medieval

#1270 2 years ago

Is this based off the pc game total annihilation? Or was that the reason it was renamed with nuclear.

#1271 2 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Is this based off the pc game total annihilation? Or was that the reason it was renamed with nuclear.

The latter.

#1272 2 years ago

After playing this game this weekend and watching countless others play it at SFGE, I'm sold on it. Hoping Spooky can pull it off, amazing pin for a homebru.....

#1273 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

After playing this game this weekend and watching countless others play it at SFGE, I'm sold on it. Hoping Spooky can pull it off, amazing pin for a homebru.....

Amazing pin - period.

#1274 2 years ago
Quoted from NoMonkey:

Amazing pin - period.

Very True! I stand corrected....

#1275 2 years ago

My sons think it looks "awesome". My oldest (almost 12) says, "I think the art is cool but I hope all the lights don't get lost in too many colors. Plus the lady's kind of pretty." My youngest (just 9 a few days ago) said, "There's no ramps, that's WEIRD!", and, "That is. The. Coolest. Light show. Ever!".

My oldest exlpaining it to his brother said, "See, it's because it's like a game from the past but in the future, like from when Dad was a little kid."

Wish it had been in Tacoma, I'd have played the shit out of it. Black Knight 2000 is on my short list, I love risk/reward.

#1276 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Curious what you feel is the right price for purchasing one as is.

Somewhere around $3500 seems good to me. You could design any artwork you wanted for the cabinet and translight to personalize to your taste. You could go the extra time and effort to design the artwork for the playfield or keep the clearcoated bare playfield. It would be like your own personal game with the bad ass gameplay included. It would be interesting to see what everyone else comes up with also in the art work area.
This is just my thought not knowing what it cost to build a pin from scratch. Keep in mind that what I saw was no translight, bare playfield and a bare painted cabinet. Pin was great!

#1277 2 years ago

I bet this game hits around $5400-$5600...

Why?

Just a gut guess.

#1278 2 years ago
Quoted from codered9394:

Somewhere around $3500 seems good to me.

HA HA
HA HA
HA HA
HA HA
HA HA

#1279 2 years ago

I put my name down with Spooky on their "interested" list at no cost after playing one game at SFGE. This game by far was more fun than anything else I played including Dialed In and Houdini just a few feet from it. It gets you pumped up from the first plunge. Ain't no way this is a $3500 game. The Jestons sitting next to it was a friggin' joke in comparison. Almost made me feel sorry for the Jetson family

#1280 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

bet this game hits around $5400-$5600...
Why?
Just a gut guess

I'm thinking somewhere between $6000 and $7000. I'm sure they will try to make as much as they can. I wouldn't blame them either for trying.

#1281 2 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

The Jestons sitting next to it was a friggin' joke in comparison. Almost made me feel sorry for the Jetson family

The jetsons just felt like a empty game to me. One game was enough for me.

#1284 2 years ago

Total screw up. Forgiveness please.

#1285 2 years ago

I have to say that I don't get the high-price "none-apologists" that have emerged lately on pinside and podcasts, etc.

Suddenly no pinball machine could possibly be made for less than $6K USD, and Stern's gutted System 11-like features on a Pro model is a "steal" at $5400.

What the h*ll people? You are all complicit in the insanely rising prices of new (and subsequently used) pinball machines. If you plot the prices of NiB machines vs the likely BoM for each over the last 10 years, even 5, you'll see the prices have risen many many times inflation. The only reason for this is that people seem thrilled to pay more for each new release, and usually to get less in terms of playfield features, coils, etc. It's making this hobby unaffordable to a large segment of the population, and I find it annoying as hell.

If Stern could sell their home version pinball ("The Pin") at a profit for $2500, there is no way a SW Pro needs to be >$5k. This is simply the manufacturers milking the current pinball bubble for all that it is worth IMHO.

Anyway, by all means, argue with each over how much higher the price of TnA should be and watch its sales potential collapse. I guess the way the math works it's better for the manufacturers to milk the high end and produce far fewer units, that way profits are high and they don't need to produce as many games. Less games = less games out there, so more future sales potential. Basically every game is a limited run now.

I love what this game is about, but I'd fight all day for the lower price point. Lose the vaporous LCD if you have to, the game is under the glass and through the speakers on this one anyway.

#1286 2 years ago

My own guess for pricing would be somewhere in the mid six-thousands, and for once in the current market I feel like that price is justified.

Even if it was $7.5k, you could buy two of them for the price of a B66 SLE. Let's talk more value than bottom line cost, because 1 TA is more fun than 1 B66 SLE, at least in my eyes.

Seriously, TA beats a lot of games.

#1287 2 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

My own guess for pricing would be somewhere in the mid six-thousands, and for once in the current market I feel like that price is justified.
Even if it was $7.5k, you could buy two of them for the price of a B66 SLE. Let's talk more value than bottom line cost, because 1 TA is more fun than 1 B66 SLE, at least in my eyes.
Seriously, TA beats a lot of games.

I don't think you EVER want to use BM66 SLE as a comparison point for either price or value. Let's just forget about that one.

#1288 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I have to say that I don't get the high-price "none-apologists" that have emerged lately on pinside and podcasts, etc.
Suddenly no pinball machine could possibly be made for less than $6K USD, and Stern's gutted System 11-like features on a Pro model is a "steal" at $5400.
What the h*ll people? You are all complicit in the insanely rising prices of new (and subsequently used) pinball machines. If you plot the prices of NiB machines vs the likely BoM for each over the last 10 years, even 5, you'll see the prices have risen many many times inflation. The only reason for this is that people seem thrilled to pay more for each new release, and usually to get less in terms of playfield features, coils, etc. It's making this hobby unaffordable to a large segment of the population, and I find it annoying as hell.
If Stern could sell their home version pinball ("The Pin") at a profit for $2500, there is no way a SW Pro needs to be >$5k. This is simply the manufacturers milking the current pinball bubble for all that it is worth IMHO.
Anyway, by all means, argue with each over how much higher the price of TnA should be and watch its sales potential collapse. I guess the way the math works it's better for the manufacturers to milk the high end and produce far fewer units, that way profits are high and they don't need to produce as many games. Less games = less games out there, so more future sales potential. Basically every game is a limited run now.
I love what this game is about, but I'd fight all day for the lower price point. Lose the vaporous LCD if you have to, the game is under the glass and through the speakers on this one anyway.

You gotta look at it from a business perspective. Not only can Stern spread economies of scale across the sale of many more pins, they also get the benefit of common parts across many different titles.

Your programming and development costs are the same if you sell 1 pin or 1000 pins. It is also especially important to value the work properly. Whenever I budget for a project I assume I am paying someone to do each part. If I decide to wear multiple hats to "make it happen" then that is a personal decision to make the project more affordable. Scott can write code, design, engineer AND compose original music. That is the work of 4 people in 1. It is certainly different for your debut pin because you want to make it happen, but it doesn't mean that the work it takes (in this case the work of 4 people) to pull it off is any less. Ask Ben about AMH. He wore TONS of hats (and had great support, for sure) but he made it happen.

I estimate that this pin must be at least $7000 for everyone to feel great about the endeavor. If there is money to be shaved off that figure it will need to come from price breaks on electronics, displays or coordinating some larger parts orders in sync with Alice Cooper and Ben's next title. But even then it is tight because those parts come from companies trying to make their own businesses make sense.

All in all, please don't see $6,000-$7,000+ prices as a cash grab or being greedy, see it instead as what it takes to have making commercial pinball even worth doing at all. See it as supporting new up-and-coming designers, artists, musicians, etc. and helping to enable them to get their creations to the masses. And hopefully want to do it all again!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#1289 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

My point is that this game will not cost less then Spooky's other titles.

#1290 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Spooky is a smaller company , so yes their prices must be a little higher for them to stay in business . I believe ( and someone can correct me if I am off on this number ) that by the time TnA goes into production that spooky will have the ability to build around 400 games a year . This is a fraction of what stern can build in a year .Spooky is not keeping the number of games they can build low because the are greedy and want to charge more and make less , it is just the number they can build with their number of employees size of factory and money they have to invest in the company. And I am not trying to argue for a higher price , I just understand the reality of the situation with TnA . I'd love lower prices on new games as well . TnA may apear simple it is not , every single light on the game is a color changing led , it has a ton of coils in it ( in fact more than most games ) . Also if you really would like to fight for a lower price on TnA you should be arguing to keep the lcd and get rid of the numerical displays . LCD is way cheaper and requires much less wiring . I think scott is intent on keeping both displays though .and I would like both . Obviously some people will lose interest when the price is revealed , but neither Scott or Spooky is being greedy with the price on this game .

#1291 2 years ago

From what I understand, TNA has around 21 coils. Stern games have about 16. A lot is happening under the playfield giving it its hot action. Also, many people can't see past there are no ramps. Is there value added with ramps?
Bottom line, it's an addicting game. How much are you willing to pay for a game that is fun? Many paid more for less.

#1292 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

If Stern could sell their home version pinball ("The Pin") at a profit for $2500, there is no way a SW Pro needs to be >$5k.

Keep in mind that Stern almost went out of business at the previous price point and was only saved by a bailout investment and subsequent raising of prices.

Also, Stern operates at 10x the scale of Spooky and thus enjoys larger price breaks. It's not an equal comparison.

#1293 2 years ago

Id like to complain and make a suggestion in the same breath.....HURRY UP! I want it yesterday!

#1294 2 years ago
Quoted from codered9394:

I'm thinking somewhere between $6000 and $7000. I'm sure they will try to make as much as they can. I wouldn't blame them either for trying.

You could very well be right

#1295 2 years ago
Quoted from Jeewiz13:

From what I understand, TNA has around 21 coils. Stern games have about 16. A lot is happening under the playfield giving it its hot action. Also, many people can't see past there are no ramps. Is there value added with ramps?

Pic stolen from the SFGE thread on TNA, it's packed under there.

tna-under (resized).jpg

#1296 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Okay, but the flip side is the ignorant people who don't understand what it actually costs to design and build a pin, especially for smaller companies without as many resources (and the bigger companies that have the resources have their own large overheads).

It's time to retire the $2500 The Pin example, it's utterly irrelevant to the conversation.

Quoted from Fytr:

Yeah, no, it's not like that. Yes, Spooky has done limited runs, because they're a new manufacturer trying to generate sales. AMH wasn't moving until they limited it and people realized it was get in now or miss out.

But this idea that the price is inflated is simply nonsense. They're going to have to fight to keep the BOM down enough to make this game worth building at a price people will stomach.

#1297 2 years ago

I want the soundtrack on my Metallica

#1298 2 years ago

Look at our collection of hands, heads and feet to see where we've been. Embrace this parody: the ending of things you can believe. We'll drive you 'til you're skin and bones and when we finally reach the end, you'll fall into our open arms, accept our tears of sympathy. Make way for our emptiness. A descent that never ends 'til the one last living thing is the next thing to go. You should know by now that we never come in peace. Endure this tragedy, wrap yourselves in our fantasies. When you think of all you've lost, weigh it with what you've gained in trade. We've given the greatest gift: this savior that will never rise. The Bringer of Greater Things. Creator of Brighter Days. The city cops, a sub-zero night. A midnight ride out of town. The passenger was found frozen to the snow. Our enduring legacy. We bring a better way. Our handshake crushing bone. The blankets that keep you warm, we've soiled with disease. The Bringer of Greater Things. Creator of Brighter Days. The hollow songs you'll sing at the ending of your day.

#1299 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Pic stolen from the SFGE thread on TNA, it's packed under there.

ngbbs48f40c9723914 (resized).jpg

#1300 2 years ago

Is this life? To stand here and wait. In this city forged of scraps. Is this life? To stand on the dead. On feces and sweat. Is this life? It's starting again. Quick, gather your belongings and go. Run while it's still dark. Out here you're as good as dead. Leave the shots echoing behind. Don't look back until you run out of land. When you think there's a second that you can't be seen, the current can decide how this night will end. Don't try to imagine what's ahead. Let nothing cripple your will. You will cross enormous distance only to arrive with nothing. You will give all you have. If you navigate your way with endurance and success, if you pass the obstacles and still have your life, if you've escaped death, if your guts haven't withered away, if you haven't broken under the strain. They won't be welcoming. They forget a time when their land was swelling. A monstrous movement across the sea. When she relieved her bowels all over the world. Don't try to imagine what's ahead. Let nothing cripple your will. Just follow the paths that they cut into the earth right back to their door.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Massillon, OH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy
$ 265.00
There are 7250 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 145.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside