Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 158 votes
    14%
  • No 220 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 326 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 64 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 45 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 36 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1151 votes by 945 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,250 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 145.
#1151 6 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

The backglass shown here is the version they would use if they have to cut out the alpha displays due to cost. There is a second one in development which will include the display openings which will all be aligned along the bottom of the backglass. This second backglass will look just like this one, only with the addition of display openings. They are in the works on having a cost effective version of the alpha displays made. If it works out the backglass show here will not be needed. They are just trying to cover all their bases.

Scott said (in the podcast) that if they can get the costs on the numeric displays down (and he thinks they will), they are considering putting them below the BG, he references "Strange Science" as an example of a solution that would allow them to preserve most of the BG and still have the numeric displays.
Backglass (resized).jpgBackglass (resized).jpg

This is okay, I can see the appeal as a relatively simple solution from an engineer's perspective, though I personally prefer the numeric displays to be embedded in the middle region of the BG, with mirrored outlines around it, like the Laser War example above.

Strangely enough, at the recent YegPin show in Edmonton I got a chance to play a buddy's Strange Science, interesting game to say the least. Ironically, his displays were wonky from making the trip and got progressively worse as the show went on. He ended up replacing them with LEDs from Nitro Amusements, who were also at the show. So, my point being, that recent experience, and now hearing that Scott is inspired by Strange Science's display placement feels like some kind of time/space looping going on already, which fits the theme of Total nuclear Annihilation perfectly.

#1152 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

What is this wacky crap? What's the back story of Cosmic Gunfight? Or Barracora? or ... (shitloads of other old pins).
Ludicrous.

Agreed. All the explanation is actually unnecessary. Your mission is to blow the reactors to a pumpin' soundtrack. 'nuff said.

"Destroy Centaur!"

#1153 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Scott said (in the podcast) that if they can get the costs on the numeric displays down (and he thinks they will), they are considering putting them below the BG, he references "Strange Science" as an example of a solution that would allow them to preserve most of the BG and still have the numeric displays.

This is okay, I can see the appeal as a relatively simple solution from an engineer's perspective, though I personally prefer the numeric displays to be embedded in the middle region of the BG, with mirrored outlines around it, like the Laser War example above.
Strangely enough, at the recent YegPin show in Edmonton I got a chance to play a buddy's Strange Science, interesting game to say the least. Ironically, his displays were wonky from making the trip and got progressively worse as the show went on. He ended up replacing them with LEDs from Nitro Amusements, who were also at the show. So, my point being, that recent experience, and now hearing that Scott is inspired by Strange Science's display placement feels like some kind of time/space looping going on already, which fits the theme of Total nuclear Annihilation perfectly.

#1154 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

"Destroy Centaur!"

only you can actually accomplish the goal in TnA. You can never destroy Centaur

#1155 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I hope they go full Bally and put that purp/pink ball swoosh design on the side with just the word DANESI.

When they said it would have the LED displays below the translite, that's what I was imagining. I'm a full on 6803 nerd. I wish they would get rid of the screen and just put alphanumeric displays in it. Cab art in that style WOULD BE AWESOME.

If they get rid of the displays, I may have to reluctantly say no to this pin.

#1156 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

The girl is from the 80's but currently in the future destroying reactors. So maybe it's actually more fitting to have a combination of a contemporary looking girl and 80's retro graphics.

That's a good point. Michael I fox was from the 80's in BTTF 2, but dressed as they would when he went into the future.

#1157 6 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

That's a good point. Michael I fox was from the 80's in BTTF 2, but dressed as they would when he went into the future.

He wasn't INTENDING to go to the future, duh!

#1158 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

But he had to fit in otherwise he'd look like an idiot.

#1159 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Actually in BTTF 2 he was INTENDING to go to the future to save his son, duh!

#1160 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Quoted from Pinballlew:

My, doc grabbed him off the driveway without warning and they split.

#1161 6 years ago

And who wants to play bttf? Nobody

#1162 6 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Foolish mistake? Says who, you? If you are going to let some petty differences, in what you feel the art direction should be, keep you from buying this kick ass and super fun to play machine, then so be it. I am sure Spooky will not miss your money. For every person that feels like you there is someone else that feels the opposite.

So now that he's a "business" person he should only listen to those that are not happy with what they see? Why shouldn't Scott/Spooky listen to me? I love the art! Should they only listen to those that hate it? Come on man. Quit being so narrow minded and look at the bigger picture.
It blows my mind that there are people that would take the game with sharpie shit scribbled all over the playfield but are bitching about the art direction they have chosen. I mean its not like the art is a complete shit show (it's quite the opposite).

No offense, but why don't you twist my words a little more. If you took the time to read, you would see I am not the only one who feels this way. I think the art is beautiful, but not for this game or title. Scott clearly put a lot of time and work into this game......I wish him the best and want him to be as successful as possible. This is not about me, this is about the many potential buyers that will view this art work the same way I did.

#1163 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

I do.. Clay does

bttf_clay (resized).jpgbttf_clay (resized).jpg

#1164 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

My, doc grabbed him off the driveway without warning and they split.

Oops, duh!, to myself

#1165 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I do.. Clay does

Yeah? If it came down to a choice between the two? Nah

#1166 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

You'll be playing it in June when I host for league night.

#1167 6 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

You'll be playing it in June when I host for league night.

I thought that phase timed out

#1168 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Wasn't the image for Marty McFly on the machine based after you? If you were a narcissist you'd want to play it all the time...

Brad

#1169 6 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Do not waste time running it by pinball buddies or "yes men" at this stage.
Keep at it.
Aaron
FAST Pinball

Trust me, his buddies are not yes men.
Terry.

#1170 6 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

No offense, but why don't you twist my words a little more. If you took the time to read, you would see I am not the only one who feels this way. I think the art is beautiful, but not for this game or title. Scott clearly put a lot of time and work into this game......I wish him the best and want him to be as successful as possible. This is not about me, this is about the many potential buyers that will view this art work the same way I did.

Many potential buyers also really like the the artwork , your point of view is valid but it has no more value than someone who likes the art . The only important thing is that Scott likes the art and it is the vision of his game that he was looking for . Remember Scott is building this game for himself the way he wants to , the fact that it will go into production just means that we will be able to purchase one of these at some point if we like what Scott has created . I do think diacussion is great and the fact that some people are disapointed by the artwork is accually really good . Let me explain , for someone to be interested in the game enough to imagine an idea of what the game should look like means they do care about this game to put the time to create this image in their heads. It is natural for someone to be disapointed when reality does not match the image they have created in their heads . Someone should not be shunned for be disapointed with the artwork , or liking it . I am a loving friend of Scott , and I don't see anything he has done with this game as "foolish mistake " and that is not because I am trying to protect his feelings . I am actually more concearned with your feelings (and others disapointed with the art ) because you all clearly do care about this game and really do want it be what you've imagined . But that is not going to happen , nothing said here is going to change Scott's vision or path for this game . I do really think that once the total package is revealed and everyone can see how well the music, art , lightshow , gameplay go togather and can see Scott's vision for this game complete that there will be far less complaints on the art and it will become more clear how cohesive the whole game is . Of course it is imposible to please everyone , but I would say just wait to see and play the complete game and see if what you'd imagined is happily replaced by the reality of a great game and complete package Total Nuclear Annihilaion turns out to be. And if the game in the end really is not what you are looking for maybe the only way to get everything you want in a game is to build your own . And I'm sure Scott would be willing to give tips,advice and some help on how to go about doing that. In fact most of the custom game builders are really great people willing to help out a fellow game builder with their projects.

#1171 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

Trust me, his buddies are not yes men.
Terry.

That is great! Sounds like he has a pretty rad boss, too!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#1172 6 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Sounds like he has a pretty rad boss, too!
Aaron
FAST Pinball

He's so so.

#1173 6 years ago

Keep at it.
Aaron
FAST Pinball
See, if we were friends, I'd have no trouble telling you when you were being an ass

#1174 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Keep at it.
Aaron
FAST Pinball
See, if we were friends, I'd have no trouble telling you when you were being an ass

Well, we are not friends, but go ahead and tell me I am an ass if you need to.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

---

Edit: I had to go back and see what I had posted and how it could have been so upsetting. Taking the line you quoted out of context certainly sounds lame. Comment in context:

Quoted from fastpinball:

I think it would be great for the creative process to run the revisions by your most hardcore artist friends and ask for critique. Where it is not about what is good, but what could be better. Any artist is used to this process, so I am sure Matt won't be offended. Do not waste time running it by pinball buddies or "yes men" at this stage.
Keep at it.
Aaron
FAST Pinball

The point I was trying to make was for Scott to engage with people who are going to constructively help him hone his vision for the artwork, not get hung up on personal opinion.

Back on topic.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#1176 6 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

CMYK ist the worst - true... That's why I only trust conversion and ripping to the most experienced people. I won't do RGB->CMYK myself.
Try "US Web Coated (SWOP) V2" to convert. That one works for the translites I do pretty good... honestly I don't know how much CMYK magic our printer guy does when he gets the files... my guess is A LOT

You're reminding me why I didn't continue my career in 4-color lithography. Semi-pro guys could always convince the client of their abilities and then they'd give us garbage files and get mad when light and ink and paper do what they've always done.

CMYK is NOT the worst, self-proclaimed designers with commodity-grade gear and no concept of how to calibrate any damn thing - THAT's the worst. If I had my way, Adobe would only sell their software to people who'd at least spent a week or two as a press helper on an offset sheetfed press. Don't even get me started on how much of the driving test should be devoted to turn signals.

#1177 6 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Anytime you have to explain your art or story to the audience, you've missed the mark.

Of all the dumb things people have said in this thread this is definitely the most stupid.

I don't want to live in a world that has no mystery and imagination, our culture has become spoon fed enough already.

#1178 6 years ago

Thanks, After seeing your work, I can understand why you would say that.

#1179 6 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Thanks, After seeing your work, I can understand why you would say that.

Uh oh. Someone must love his original Shadow art. lol

#1180 6 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Adobe would only sell their software to people who'd at least spent a week or two as a press helper on an offset sheetfed press.

Isn't that the case anymore? Man, things have changed in the past 25 years...

Anyway, I would never touch printing myself. So many factors can go wrong. With the 3D translites you even have to consider temperature (expansion of the material) and humidity ) If you don't have the experience results are always less than ideal.

Yet I'm still happy in YUV (coming from film/video). Lol!

#1181 6 years ago

curious.......... What is the pitch (how many degrees) set on this game as plays faster than 80's games

#1182 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

curious.......... What is the pitch (how many degrees) set on this game as plays faster than 80's games

I am not sure if this will change with the new cabinet, but I don't think the pitch was ever altered on the Dolly Parton cabinet. So whatever the pitch was in 78 is, I am pretty sure, what it is running now.

EDIT: Have more specific info that answers your question better. The POC game (in Dolly cab) is set at 6 degrees. The production game will be set at 6.5 degrees. This can be adjusted back to 6 or up to 7 if your feeling extra LIONMAN.

#1183 6 years ago

I want to play some TnA again soon to see what has changed since MGC!

#1184 6 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

I am not sure if this will change with the new cabinet, but I don't think the pitch was ever altered on the Dolly Parton cabinet. So whatever the pitch was in 78 is, I am pretty sure, what it is running now.
EDIT: Have more specific info that answers your question better. The POC game (in Dolly cab) is set at 6 degrees. The production game will be set at 6.5 degrees. This can be adjusted back to 6 or up to 7 if your feeling extra LIONMAN.

thanks for the info,

2 weeks later
#1185 6 years ago

Any new info?

#1186 6 years ago

Scott has said he's not revealing anything else until it's done, so I wouldn't expect much over the next couple months or so.

#1187 6 years ago

Scott is awesome. Spooky is awesome. Things are happening...

Oh. NEW info? No.

#1188 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Scott has said he's not revealing anything else until it's done, so I wouldn't expect much over the next couple months or so.

Good idea on his part. Being Pinside, anything he would release would be picked apart anyway. With that said, I'd like to know a target release date so I know how much time I have to save up for it

#1189 6 years ago

It will be at SFGE next week so if you're in the Atlanta area, come on by!

#1190 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

With that said, I'd like to know a target release date so I know how much time I have to save up for it

Scott and Charlie spoke about it beeing on the production line at the end of the year when everything runs smooth in the last spooky pinball podcast. Still a long time, hoping for more streams in the meantime, this game just looks so damm fun!

#1191 6 years ago

Great , if you look at the poll 345 wil buy TNA.

#1192 6 years ago

I think once this machine is complete and ready for sale you'll see that Spooky will need to build in excess of 500 machines.
-Mike

#1193 6 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

I think once this machine is complete and ready for sale you'll see that Spooky will need to build in excess of 500 machines.
-Mike

IMHO I believe your estimate to be rather optimistic. I feel the initial excitement for this title from 3 months ago has lost some of its momentum. if the game is produced as it stands, I don't see it being a commercial success. by the time TNA is ready to ship, more alternatives will have presented themselves as well. I can see asking price having a bearing on sales for this title more so than alternative/current/upcoming NIB. it may take an asking price of 5,000 or less to move numbers. I won't be surprised if indeed Spooky lists it in that range. just how many machines are produced remains to be seen, but among the many positives from Spooky is their transparency when it comes to disclosing production numbers.

#1194 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

IMHO I believe your estimate to be rather optimistic. I feel the initial excitement for this title from 3 months ago has lost some of its momentum. if the game is produced as it stands, I don't see it being a commercial success. by the time TNA is ready to ship, more alternatives will have presented themselves as well. I can see asking price having a bearing on sales for this title more so than alternative/current/upcoming NIB. it may take an asking price of 5,000 or less to move numbers. I won't be surprised if indeed Spooky lists it in that range. just how many machines are produced remains to be seen, but among the many positives from Spooky is their transparency when it comes to disclosing production numbers.

curious if you have played the game? I ask because honestly anyone that has not, really has zero clue on the game.

That goes for any game really, but this one in particular as the juxtaposition of what you may expect from a single level game compared to what it is and does to players is amazing to watch.

I think anyone guessing price is taking a WAG and doing a disservice to the cost to make a game like this. I personally would be VERY surprised to hear 5k as the price point. I would be ecstatic, but I do not think that is even remotely realistic.

#1195 6 years ago

No one knows yet what price will be . Their target is the average spooky price of around $6,295 , if they can get down to that target remains to be seen . I know scott wants to include everything that the current game has , all lights color change , laser cut side rails , digital displays and the lcd , premium sound system , etc . As is I see no way that the price would be at 5k .

#1196 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

I feel the initial excitement for this title from 3 months ago has lost some of its momentum.

I think that pinside/the Internet is brutal when it comes to the short attention span for games. It's not just TNA.

Relative to the amount of time spent developing new games, the amount of time that it takes for people to stop discussing them on forums, or to complain that they need something new is staggeringly short. It's hard to argue with, though; at some point, if you're not physically playing the game, there's only so much you can say about it.

I believe that TNA is at SFGE this weekend, so I'm sure we will see a lot of new posts of "renewed interest" very soon.

#1197 6 years ago

The game is at SFGE and it's awesome. Pretty much the best new game at the show.

Scott did an amazing job.

#1198 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

The game is at SFGE and it's awesome. Pretty much the best new game at the show.
Scott did an amazing job.

Yes. The highlight of the show for me was playing a 4 player game on TNA that included Roger Sharpe. Noticed that the code was further along since Texas with some added items.

#1199 6 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

No one knows yet what price will be . Their target is the average spooky price of around $6,295 , if they can get down to that target remains to be seen . I know scott wants to include everything that the current game has , all lights color change , laser cut side rails , digital displays and the lcd , premium sound system , etc . As is I see no way that the price would be at 5k .

I just hope Scott does not cut ANYTHING! I want the full package and not just the tip!

#1200 6 years ago

$6300 would be a price where the buyer wins tremendously in my eyes. Anyone who thinks this game is only worth $5k has either never played it or never looked under the playfield.

You've got people paying 10k+ for sterns and magic girl (i.e. useless girl). This game stomps B66 and MG.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,250 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 145.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-annihilation-production/page/24?hl=sulakd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.