Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 158 votes
    14%
  • No 220 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 326 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 64 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 45 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 36 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1151 votes by 945 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,250 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 145.
#1051 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

I've pretended I was the space shuttle, while playing space shuttle

Space Shuttle = Penis.

#1052 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Space Shuttle = Penis.

I'm going to have to disagree with that one , vessels that carry people are commonly reffered to as "shes" in multiple languages .

#1053 6 years ago

I mean, this is the only way

#1054 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

I've pretended I was the space shuttle, while playing space shuttle

Are the stories about role-playing Devil's Dare at your house true?

Brad

#1055 6 years ago

I really believe the games should be very blacklight friendly, titan glow in the dark rings, neon posts, bats, apron, etc ...

#1056 6 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

Are the stories about role-playing Devil's Dare at your house true?
Brad

Take anything you've heard, double it

#1057 6 years ago

No knocks on Matt, he clearly does great work, but it sounds like folks might've been hoping for something more like this Photoshop mock pulled together from some images swiped via Google. It's a loose recreation of one of three spec submissions I gave to Bally in 1980 when I was a teenage pinball fan and a family friend had contacts there. The only original of those I still have is what you see as my avatar. The third was called Vector but was pure op art and nothing like what they ended up with. I chatted with Greg Freres at MGC who said Paul Faris, art director at that time, would have been the one to look them over. Paul's one of my favorite artists now, but I never had a chance to meet him back then. As others here have alluded, his style would be awesome for TNA, with that darker SciFi/Fantasy vibe he and other artists were known for and featured on Ballys of that era.

Armaggedon (resized).jpgArmaggedon (resized).jpg

#1059 6 years ago

Well....thanks for all the sexualizations Bangerjay. I'm sure it's probably against your parole terms to be posting such things. Anyways the art is definitely not great...there is no denying it. Of course I understand it's Scott's game and that's fine. But when it became a commercial project it opened itself up to debate and criticism. I agree with the people who say they envisioned something more like Mad Max type. It fits the game....the game is dark and fast paced, with a synth soundtrack. It's not at all like the Powder Puff Girls.

#1060 6 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Well....thanks for all the sexualizations Bangerjay. I'm sure it's probably against your parole terms to be posting such things. Anyways the art is definitely not great...there is no denying it. Of course I understand it's Scott's game and that's fine. But when it became a commercial project it opened itself up to debate and criticism. I agree with the people who say they envisioned something more like Mad Max type. It fits the game....the game is dark and fact paced, with a synth soundtrack. It's not at all like the Powder Puff Girls.

Powerpuff. And you think this looks like Powerpuff? You honestly look at the translite and see this?!?!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#1061 6 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Anyways the art is definitely not great...there is no denying it.

Sorry pal I can totally deny your opinion. That's how they work.

#1062 6 years ago

Disappointing but not surprising that in 2017 so many pinball dudes need to be coached through how they could possibly enjoy a game with a female protagonist.

#1063 6 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Sorry pal I can totally deny your opinion. That's how they work.

You're free to do just that...and that's the point, It's a game that's going to be sold for mass consumption. So I don't understand why is suddenly sacrilegious to say the translite art (and if that translite is an indicator of the whole package) does not fit the theme.

PS: Also you're reading too much into it, it has nothing to do with the female role but rather the Anime style of it.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Powerpuff. And you think this looks like Powerpuff? You honestly look at the translite and see this?!?!

No, of course not, I was trying to make a point through exaggeration.

#1064 6 years ago

It's sad that the constructive criticisms of the art might get lost with a couple people's unexplained problems with an icky girl on the backglass.

Oh well. I can't wait for the finished game.

#1065 6 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

PS: Also you're reading too much into it, it has nothing to do with the female role but rather the Anime style of it.

Zero chance you compare the backglass to the Powerpuff Girls if the character is male. Looks nothing at all like that show. Even "anime" is a stretch.

Anyway, it's too bad you got your hopes up for a Mad Max game (which is also a dream theme of mine) but this is not that game. I don't know how you can say the translite doesn't fit the theme when it's on original theme that someone else created. Whatever he creates is the theme.

Get started on a Mad Max Fury Road pin. If you put Imperator Furiosa on the backglass, I'm a buyer.

#1066 6 years ago

I think the translite art looks awesome on a whole. I agree though that the anime style girl seems a bit out of place.... maybe too clean. By that I mean could be a little rougher around the edges and slightly less cartoonish... a little more menacing.

Just my two cents worth nothing. Can't wait to see the whole package!

#1067 6 years ago

Maybe the girl needs some face paint to make her look more 80s.

Does she have a name?

IMG_0588 (resized).JPGIMG_0588 (resized).JPG

#1068 6 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Zero chance you compare the backglass to the Powerpuff Girls if the character is male. Looks nothing at all like that show. Even "anime" is a stretch.

Um..yeah. so what? If it was a dude that looked like that, then I'd compare it to Speed Racer. Like I said you are seeing something you want to see in it, for whatever the reason. Don't project your politics unto my comments about the art.

PS: And I guess the fact that it's called TnA was just about empowering woman.

#1069 6 years ago

the translite looks great, just need a Aus distributor

#1070 6 years ago
Quoted from lavmech1:

Well,

Pointing out that men (the majority of pinball players) may have been more likely to relate to a male lead character in no way equates to me declaring "NO GIRLS ALLOWED!!!". It is simply an observation and not a confirmation of overwhelming sexism. I'm sorry you both have an issue with it.

I think it shows your total lack of imagination and confidence in your own identity. Cant loosen up and play a pinball game with a female lead character?....Unbelievable

#1071 6 years ago

I love the art. Nothing screams 80's more than a hot chick with coloured hair, wearing a short jacket and turtle neck one piece, and sporting fingerless gloves; all framed in neon grid lines and surrounded by hot pink font. I don't understand how anyone thinks it doesn't fit the theme.

#1072 6 years ago
Quoted from Dutts:

I think it shows your total lack of imagination and confidence in your own identity. Cant loosen up and play a pinball game with a female lead character?....Unbelievable

Wait, what?!? Thanks for the diagnosis Doc, but I can certainly "loosen up" and play any game I want regardless of theme. But shelling out a few grand to BUY a game with an art package that doesn't seem to fit quite right is a different thing. The fact that this entire thread is laced with insinuations of other people being sexist for not wanting a pink and purple cartoonish girl on the backglass of their doomsday pin is crazy. I guess this is what discussion has come to in the hyper-offended millennial age.

#1073 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

the translite looks great, just need a Aus distributor

You have one. The Pizza and Pinball guys in Newcastle.

rd

#1074 6 years ago
Quoted from Dutts:

I should have sold you my Johnny Mnemonic for 6 grand and told you to "loosen up"... "pretend it's a Matrix". Don't let "your total lack of imagination" get in the way.

#1075 6 years ago
Quoted from lavmech1:

Wait, what?!? Thanks for the diagnosis Doc, but I can certainly "loosen up" and play any game I want regardless of theme. But shelling out a few grand to BUY a game with an art package that doesn't seem to fit quite right is a different thing. The fact that this entire thread is laced with insinuations of other people being sexist for not wanting a pink and purple cartoonish girl on the backglass of their doomsday pin is crazy. I guess this is what discussion has come to in the hyper-offended millennial age.

Bingo

#1076 6 years ago

I think there should be multiple art revisions, maybe even hire 2 artists working simultaneously... Heck, maybe even respin the theme and call it retro atomic annihilation with zombies! Oh wait, I seem to remember that not working out for someone.

#1077 6 years ago

This is ridiculous. Listen, we all love Scott and think the guy is a genius, but come on
People! TA is an awesome game, but if the art package is going to prevent him from reaching the games sales potential......then we are actually helping him. Would you so called "loving friends" really let him make a foolish mistake just so you could protect his feelings??? When he decided to produce this game with Spooky, he entered the world of business and when business people don't listen to their potential customers, the outcome is usually poor. I am less concerned about the backglass as I will just have another one made, but if the playfield art sucks, I am out. That's how it goes when you are paying $6000+ for a game. How many times have we seen this???? Don't repeat the mistakes of others.......There are a lot of people who don't like this art and feel it doesn't fit the game.

#1078 6 years ago

Don't know who did the art on this backglass but I like it. Great job!

#1079 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

You have one. The Pizza and Pinball guys in Newcastle.
rd

they import a few, and a very closed shop

#1080 6 years ago

Artistically the backglass is terrific in my opinion but I agree it doesn't quite fit the theme.
There's nothing wrong with listenting to suggestions from your customer base *if* they might help sell the game better.
I wish the project all my best and may it be tremendous success.

#1081 6 years ago

In this thread: a bunch of old white dudes who don't really know what anime is and expected dark sci-fi out of a game with thumping electronic music and sharpie scribbles.

#1082 6 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

You're free to do just that...and that's the point, It's a game that's going to be sold for mass consumption. So I don't understand why is suddenly sacrilegious to say the translite art (and if that translite is an indicator of the whole package) does not fit the theme.

I would question "mass consumption," as this was a personal project that generated enough interest to look at "commercial" production. But we aren't talking about Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, or some other instantly recognizable copyrighted theme. And I think many would question the idea the translite art doesn't fit the theme without being in Scott's head and knowing what his vision of the theme is. As he seems quite happy with how it reflects on the theme of his machine, so other's opinions are fine, but really what they are saying it doesn't fit their own vision of the theme.

Brad

#1083 6 years ago

The backglass won't be looked at that much while I get the reactors overheated. Besides my wife likes it and that's all I needed to hear.Looking forward to seeing a finished machine.
-Mike

#1084 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

they import a few, and a very closed shop

No, that was because both AMH and RZ were very limited and sold out very quickly. Nothing to do with P&P being a "closed shop".

#1085 6 years ago

How many would buy TnA in a format more or less like it is now? Exposed backboard with laser cut name, exposed screen/speakers/Led scores. Mostly Exposed wood playfield (cleared) with minimal "art" mostly insert labels, and a few plastics. (Though Probably not Sharpie - on second thoughts, would be cool if Scott personally hand labeled all the pf's himself ).

Personally I think it looks really cool as is because of the basement /industrial/ underground feel suits the theme. And would look nothing like any game in anyone's collection. Whether or not it would translate into a production game.

#1086 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

No, that was because both AMH and RZ were very limited and sold out very quickly. Nothing to do with P&P being a "closed shop".

I was on the list for AMH in the first 25 to be built yet things happen - just wish a true distributor would be set up as would love to support Scott and Spooky. Hopefully one day.

#1087 6 years ago

...I really, really like the translite. Very nicely composed, great color scheme and skillfully drawn.

Also fun little details, like the detonator button reference to Lawler, the ED209 like thinggy, pokeball style granates...

If I may, I'd like to add a few constructive remarks. It needs a little color correction to separate the elements more and to 'de-fog' the scene.

Something like this:

or both compared:

TNA_cc (resized).jpgTNA_cc (resized).jpg
TNA_cc_compared (resized).jpgTNA_cc_compared (resized).jpg

...be sure to have some for Europe

#1088 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I was on the list for AMH in the first 25 to be built yet things happen - just wish a true distributor would be set up as would love to support Scott and Spooky. Hopefully one day.

Really? No idea what could have happened. All I can say from my experience everything went smoothly working with Soooky and P&P. Not sure whether the market could justify a "true distributor" given its size and also the boutique nature of Spooky.

#1089 6 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Would you so called "loving friends" really let him make a foolish mistake just so you could protect his feelings???

Foolish mistake? Says who, you? If you are going to let some petty differences, in what you feel the art direction should be, keep you from buying this kick ass and super fun to play machine, then so be it. I am sure Spooky will not miss your money. For every person that feels like you there is someone else that feels the opposite.

Quoted from thedarkknight77:

When he decided to produce this game with Spooky, he entered the world of business and when business people don't listen to their potential customers, the outcome is usually poor. I am less concerned about the backglass as I will just have another one made, but if the playfield art sucks, I am out. That's how it goes when you are paying $6000+ for a game. How many times have we seen this???? Don't repeat the mistakes of others.......There are a lot of people who don't like this art and feel it doesn't fit the game.

So now that he's a "business" person he should only listen to those that are not happy with what they see? Why shouldn't Scott/Spooky listen to me? I love the art! Should they only listen to those that hate it? Come on man. Quit being so narrow minded and look at the bigger picture.

It blows my mind that there are people that would take the game with sharpie shit scribbled all over the playfield but are bitching about the art direction they have chosen. I mean its not like the art is a complete shit show (it's quite the opposite).

#1090 6 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

...I really, really like the translite. Very nicely composed, great color scheme and skillfully drawn.
Also fun little details, like the detonator button reference to Lawler, the ED209 like thinggy, pokeball style granates...
If I may, I'd like to add a few constructive remarks. It needs a little color correction to separate the elements more and to 'de-fog' the scene.
Something like this:
or both compared:

Still not sold on the art style, but that looks WAY better.

#1091 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

A little from column A and a lot from column B.

Quoted from swinks:

There are ways around that swinks whilst still supporting Spooky.

Even AMD can't prevent grey imports of Stern machines remember.

If Spooky's machines can get a bit more market traction amongst the general public down here no doubt someone with more professional experience in pinball distribution down under will express their interest to Spooky.

#1092 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Ha, and my first reaction was oh gawd no that looks horrible, original way better. Opinions. because.. pinside.

#1093 6 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

It blows my mind that there are people that would take the game with sharpie shit scribbled all over the playfield but are bitching about the art direction they have chosen.

When it came time to lock in deposits, I'd hazard a guess those people wouldn't commit no matter what the art looked like.

#1094 6 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

Ha, and my first reaction was oh gawd no that looks horrible, original way better. Opinions. because.. pinside.

Ha Now have this!

...forgot the second N - never mind...

armagedonna (resized).jpgarmagedonna (resized).jpg

#1095 6 years ago

was really hoping for something a little less cartoony but still excited to see this. Frankly just pull the cartoon character out and it'd be fine. Whats the lowdown with timeline for it? Costs? Lots of posts cant read through each one. Sorry as I'm sure its been said...

#1096 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

It's almost as if that's what it would look like if there were light bulbs behind it to make things brighter. Imagine the innovation if they did THAT with a pinball machine. Mind. Blown.

#1097 6 years ago
Quoted from mayuh:

Something like this:
or both compared:

Now convert your image to CMYK and see what happens to your colors. The printer required CMYK, but my original RGB Photoshop file has a similar saturation to your edit.

#1098 6 years ago
Quoted from lavmech1:

I guess this is what discussion has come to in the hyper-offended millennial age.

What discussion? You don't like the art or the fact that it's a girl so what is there to discuss? If it bothers you that much don't buy the game and stop being so antagonistic with your comments.

#1099 6 years ago

I really like the artwork. I can't wait to see how the playfield and cabinet art bring it all together.

I emailed Spooky Pinball today and asked to be placed on the buyer list. I'm happy to support this pin and look forward to being an owner.

#1100 6 years ago

Really enjoyed the latest podcast with Mr. K, Scott! I've been waiting for Star Wars to be my first NIB game, but I think I may just have to switch over to your Total Nuclear Annihilation. Keep it up!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

There are 7,250 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 145.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-annihilation-production/page/22?hl=slcpunk2113 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.