Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 158 votes
    14%
  • No 220 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 326 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 64 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 45 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 36 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1151 votes by 945 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,250 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 145.
#1001 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

I thought I read or heard somewhere that the girl is modeled after his wife, if that is true I think that is awesome. How cool would it be to design a game and have your wife in the art as the lead character.

Yes, Scott sent me some photos of his wife, and I used those as reference for the character, then added outlandish hair and clothes.

#1002 6 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

At a high level, the vision is actually pretty simple. I wanted to build a machine that was a blend of what I personally think made older games great but put in all new technology under the hood. The story line, artwork, final animations, music, and gameplay will all be retro-futuristic, meaning what someone from the 80's thought the far future was going to look like.
--Scott

I think the negative reaction to the art is because most people absolutely understood the above was your intention, but they had something very different in their head than what was revealed, and don't feel like what we've seen really matches the expressed vision.

#1003 6 years ago

Say what you want, but that girl has BALLS. Literally. She has pinballs hanging on her utility belt.

I like the artwork.

#1004 6 years ago

Barrel with "parts from Terry" heh.

#1005 6 years ago

I like the art. The cyberpunk look seems both thematically fitting and in line with what I understand is Danesi's aesthetic. I'm really excited to see the playfield with art beyond the Sharpie drawing.

#1006 6 years ago

All this nitpicking on the art...man, pinball peeps are fickle! Put out the art for the pop bumper cap and guaranteed you'd get the same type of criticism.

The table plays fast, furious, and unforgiving. The music is bumping and the theme and android voice fit perfectly. Let's not forget that this table is fun! Not that the art doesn't matter, because to an extent it does, but the play has to be there. (Otherwise you end up with a table like *gasp* Magic Girl). Like others have said, art is subjective. You love it or hate it. When you build a machine, you can put whatever artwork you want. Scott is doing that with his, and whatever he puts out, I'm fine with, and this is because the table is unlike any other table made. Lose any preconceptions you have of this table and you will be happier with it.

Can wait to see the production version...

#1007 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

and don't feel like what we've seen really matches the expressed vision.

That's weird, I feel the exact opposite. You know why that is? Because every ones perception is different. If you and I were both in 1980 and had to determine what the future would look like in 50 or 100 years our answers would be completely different. This is Scott's vision and this is what he perceives our leading lady thinks the future will look like. Its not wrong or right, but what I can tell you is that it EXACTLY matches his expressed vision. I mean its his vision for gods sake. How can it not meet it?

I for one think the art looks fantastic and I cant wait to see the rest of it.

#1008 6 years ago
Quoted from mandraws:

Yes, Scott sent me some photos of his wife, and I used those as reference for the character, then added outlandish hair and clothes.

So awesome!

#1009 6 years ago

I've just been lurking, haven't really had anything to say about this - but seriously, people are ragging on this art? I like the translite. It's appealing, it has a cute appealing character. It gives you a sense of the tone/setting/story very nicely.
This appealing comic book style is what games like Lexi SHOULD have gone for instead of the "I'm mad and I look like I'm taking a dump" boring attempt at "edgy".
Scott is awesome, Matt is awesome, and I hope they don't listen to a damn thing you guys are saying.

#1010 6 years ago

I'm digging the art. I was hoping for something similar in style to Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon and I feel that's what we got. I would be stunned if the cabinet art wasn't just as good. I think the playfield is the trickiest part given it needs to flow with the shots and insert and it can't be overwhelming. I'm hoping for something fairly minimal with good use of color like we saw with Rob Zombie. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

Scott - Look forward to saying see you at SFGE and getting my ass kicked by your game. (PinballUndesirables).

FC3_Blood_Dragon_Cover (resized).jpgFC3_Blood_Dragon_Cover (resized).jpg

#1011 6 years ago

My only suggestion so far is that this game comes shipped with the soundtrack on most if not all of these formats...
MP3 (download code or funky shaped thumb drive)
CD
Cassette
Vinyl

#1012 6 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

My only suggestion so far is that this game comes shipped with the soundtrack on most if not all of these formats...
MP3 (download code or funky shaped thumb drive)
CD
Cassette
Vinyl

Definitely cassette

#1013 6 years ago

I like how back in the 80's our idea of the future always included those computer generated grid lines everywhere!

#1014 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I've just been lurking, haven't really had anything to say about this - but seriously, people are ragging on this art? I like the translite. It's appealing, it has a cute appealing character. It gives you a sense of the tone/setting/story very nicely.
This appealing comic book style is what games like Lexi SHOULD have gone for instead of the "I'm mad and I look like I'm taking a dump" boring attempt at "edgy".
Scott is awesome, Matt is awesome, and I hope they don't listen to a damn thing you guys are saying.

'Here 'here! Art looks awesome, game looks awesome. Best of luck to Scott, Matt, Charlie in bringing this game altogether. Can't wait.

#1015 6 years ago

In the Spooky podcast interview, Scott was clear that originally he was building the game for himself alone, and was building the game that he wanted to build. A lot of people liked what they saw, including Charlie, and they agreed to make Scott's game under the Spooky label.

They aren't trying to make the game with the widest appeal. They are making Scott's game. If you were expecting something other than what Scott is designing and you don't like what he's doing, well I'm sure that's a bummer, for you -- but that's never what was promised. If you're a custom game builder/designer, or in any creative field, I hope you've got the same deep respect for Charlie (and everyone at Spooky) that I do. I have nothing but respect for those guys, for trusting Scott and letting Scott do his thing. I'm super excited by what I've seen so far.

Like others who have posted here, I feel the strange need to post random images of things I like, and that I wish the game looked like:

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#1016 6 years ago

Stop making this game more awesome every day.

I only have room left for Star Wars, Iron Maiden and JJPs Pirates otC, purchases plainly planned based on theme.

Please don't make me but another non licensed theme game because it is badass...... screw my life...hahahah

All kidding aside. I'll need to make room and think about ordering.....

#1017 6 years ago

For some reason the translite reminds me of a purple Twilight Zone.

Whether you like the art or not, this game is going to be freakin' awesome. Scott has had this thing in his head for years. Pretty sure he has a good idea on how he wants it to look.

#1018 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

How cool would it be to design a game and have your wife in the art as the lead character.

image-24 (resized).jpgimage-24 (resized).jpg

#1019 6 years ago

I have to just add my own reaction to the artwork because I think there's nothing wrong with giving some feedback, especially at this early stage of the game. I started today off fully convinced I wanted to do whatever I could to get a hold of one of these machines after listening to Scott talk about it on a podcast. I had seen the youtube videos and thought the music and animations on the backbox were awesome!!! I LOVE the apocalyptic-industrial look of the cityscapes and the reactor shots. When Scott described the theme as a take on retrofuturism I was sold!

But...I dug around to find the picture of the backglass today and was pretty disappointed. The purple and pink colors (very similar to Magic Girl) and the almost anime style girl are so different from that wicked awesome monochromatic futuristic wasteland that's depicted on the backglass monitor. I guess I was expecting more of a sci-fi, computer, TRON meets Mad Max thing. Also, I unfortunately think I will have a hard time feeling like I'm "the girl" as I'm imagining I'm saving the world, even though I'm sure she's a badass girl.

I understand the game does not have to "please everyone", but I think the art may be a missed opportunity to really finish off what looks like a wicked intense theme. And, unfortunately, I think having a female heroine may tend to alienate a lot of pinball fans who are overwhelmingly male. It's one thing to be a guy and root for a badass female character to kick butt in an action movie, but it's an entirely different thing to try to immerse yourself in a game where you have to mentally assume that female character's role (o.k., Lara Croft may be a rare exception.)

I know I'm not alone, but I also respect those who think the art is perfect. And I definitely admire the incredible talents shared by Scott and others who are keeping pinball alive and growing with their incredible creations. I'm sure I'll still love the game. Please don't think I'm just nit-picking or trolling.

#1020 6 years ago
Quoted from lavmech1:

And, unfortunately, I think having a female heroine may tend to alienate a lot of pinball fans who are overwhelmingly male.

NO GIRLS ALLOWED!!! Gimme a F'ing break....

#1021 6 years ago

Personally, I think it looks great. Love the animated look, and the color scheme is vintage 80s. Can't wait to see the finished playfield art!

#1022 6 years ago

I'm saving a space for TNA between Future Spa and Stars Scott.
A perfect ass-kicking retrofuture sandwich if I do say so myself!

Keep up the good work!

#1023 6 years ago

If anybody wants, I'll personally draw a penis on your backglass to ease you into your fantasy

#1024 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

If anybody wants, I'll personally draw a penis on your backglass to ease you into your fantasy

Bwahahahahaaaaaaa!!!

#1025 6 years ago

This is a game that shows all of Scott's hard work and talent. It's fun, has great music, and the art is stunning.

To be a player that makes a game, gets it picked up, and made into production must be a dream come true. Who hasn't thought of what it's like to be a pinball designer?

I know I have and couldn't be happier for Scott. But then again, Scott Danesi is awesome!

TNA is going come together in the end. I know it.

#1026 6 years ago

Aren't you a female in Aliens?

#1027 6 years ago

Well,

Quoted from Rarehero:NO GIRLS ALLOWED!!! Gimme a F'ing break....

Quoted from bangerjay:

Pointing out that men (the majority of pinball players) may have been more likely to relate to a male lead character in no way equates to me declaring "NO GIRLS ALLOWED!!!". It is simply an observation and not a confirmation of overwhelming sexism. I'm sorry you both have an issue with it.

#1028 6 years ago

I think nipples are cute Scott

#1029 6 years ago
Quoted from lavmech1:

Well,

Pointing out that men (the majority of pinball players) may have been more likely to relate to a male lead character in no way equates to me declaring "NO GIRLS ALLOWED!!!". It is simply an observation and not a confirmation of overwhelming sexism. I'm sorry you both have an issue with it.

Buuuuuuuut, historically backglasses have been populated by women

#1030 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Buuuuuuuut, historically backglasses have been populated by women

I know. I totally agree, and in many cases that fits the theme perfectly. It's not a big deal, I just was expecting more of a faceless hero. Like someone else said it kindof leaves things open to the player's imagination that way. Not a make or break issue though.

#1031 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

I have no fantasy but would like a penis anyway.

Possible?

#1032 6 years ago
Quoted from lavmech1:

Well,

Pretty sure the cute girl on the backglass... Is the cute girl you are saving.

I know I want to save her.

#1033 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Sweet. If you're going to trace yours then it will be anothere "little" easter egg to find on the backglass

#1034 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Possible?

I got you covered. I have lots of practice drawing peni on gas station bathroom stalls.

#1035 6 years ago
Quoted from lavmech1:

I know. I totally agree, and in many cases that fits the theme perfectly. It's not a big deal, I just was expecting more of a faceless hero. Like someone else said it kindof leaves things open to the player's imagination that way. Not a make or break issue though.

Truthfully, I didn't think there would be any human characters on it either

#1036 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Possible?

Anything you want big boy
Did you like that twerking video?

#1037 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Pretty sure the cute girl on the backglass... Is the cute girl you are saving.
I know I want to save her.

Well, that's one way of looking at it. That works!

#1038 6 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

Sweet. If you're going to trace yours then it will be anothere "little" easter egg to find on the backglass

Have I told you about the time I got poison ivy on my nuts, they swelled up to grapefruit size, my penis looked like the stem

#1039 6 years ago
Quoted from lavmech1:

Well, that's one way of looking at it. That works!

Everyone dies

#1040 6 years ago

You can picture my nipples up there too

#1041 6 years ago

If the game is as tough as it looks than I think you're right!

#1042 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Have I told you about the time I got poison ivy on my nuts, they swelled up to grapefruit size, my penis looked like the stem

No, but I'm intrigued (in a totally straight way since my wife is sitting next to me). No pictures necessary though.

#1043 6 years ago

Pictures def required on this one

(For science of course)

#1044 6 years ago

I guess her timeline would not change if she comes from the past to destroy a future civilization and succeeds she dies with that civilization , but she would save a bunch of other 1980s women if she succeeds . So there is that , but mostly everyone dies .

#1045 6 years ago

No, but I'm intrigued (in a totally straight way since my wife is sitting next to me). No pictures necessary though.

Before camera phones, but I almost ran out of folds if you know what I mean

#1046 6 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

I guess her timeline would not change if she comes from the past to destroy a future civilization and succeeds she dies with that civilization , but she would save a bunch of other 1980s women if she succeeds . So there is that , but mostly everyone dies .

Sssssccccooooootttttt????

#1047 6 years ago
Quoted from lavmech1:

How does the character being female impede anyone's imagination to enjoy this game? Are you afraid you'll have to get "the operation" to get the full experience of the game? I mean, can you play Spider-Man without having been bit by a radioactive spider and wearing spandex? Do only Italian plumbers relate to Super Mario Bros.?

#1048 6 years ago

Maybe someday you'll get a tech support call about someone's lockdown bar being destroyed by nuts .

#1049 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

How does the character being female impede anyone's imagination to enjoy this game? Are you afraid you'll have to get "the operation" to get the full experience of the game? I mean, can you play Spider-Man without having been bit by a radioactive spider and wearing spandex? Do only Italian plumbers relate to Super Mario Bros.?

I've pretended I was the space shuttle, while playing space shuttle

#1050 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Anything you want big boy
Did you like that twerking video?

I did. I would have preferred it in person at Scott's party.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,250 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 145.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-annihilation-production/page/21?hl=jeewiz13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.