Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 158 votes
    14%
  • No 220 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 326 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 64 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 45 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 36 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1151 votes by 945 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,250 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 145.
#951 6 years ago

When you put your stuff out there some people are going to like it, some people aren't. Some people don't even like the original Shadow art! Either way, you have to have a thick skin when you've got a vision of your own. Especially when that vision is going to be attached to an expensive pinball machine. If I don't like the art, I won't buy it. Others might feel the same. Hence the suggestions. We all want it to be good because we're excited about it. We're not jerks really.

#952 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This is a member of the community, making his own game, and *some* (not all!) of you are just walking in and shitting on his front lawn with some of these comments. If this was your friend making this game would you tell him to read these comments? Do you think it would make him feel good?
Scott is my friend. Someone who's put so much of his heart and soul into pinball, who has a vision for a game, that he's executing and utterly excited about. His vision was always for a brightly colored game. If that's not for you then so be it, that's fine. He's loving the art. I've seen more than some of you, and I love it too. I'm excited for the whole package reveal.
You don't have to like it. You can even say so. But he's right here reading all this, would you say these things to his face? Maybe just be a little polite about it at least.
Maybe stop and think for 5 seconds before you hit post, and just ask yourself if you're being a jerk. Trust me, it's not fun to read people doing this to you, and there's no reason to subject him to it if you actually care about the community and people sharing their work.
Just have a little common courtesy for one of our own. That's all I'm saying.

And then we have this gem. It must suck to not have any strong women in your life, I feel for you, but it doesn't make your comment any less stupid and ignorant. Happy Mother's Day.

Most of the people buying this game out of the gate are right here in this forum...
"Scott Danesi is Awesome "
Has been the banner all of us have waived since post 1.

I guess most of us thought this was a pin for us specifically. Spooky and Scott hired a great artist, I just think many of us are unhappy with the direction and hope it would get away from the same stuff we have been seeing the last few years...

Edgy concept, check
Edgy music in a commercial game, check
Edgy technology to boot, check
Edgy cool scoring mechanics , check
Edgy art to bring it all together...?

I think the bg art is amazing, but maybe we all hoped for something to tie it all in together, I don't think Scott did the art... I think he gave permission (to someone who never read this thread or did not follow the production of this game since the beginning) to have freedom.

Again, awesome art! But when I saw it I immediately thought " I can make something more to my taste to fit the game later if I need to"

maybe there will be an edgy alt translite to go with... Making Pinball is hard, Making pinball to sastify pinside is Harder!

#953 6 years ago

I really don't get the comments that the female character looks like she's from another time...

THAT'S THE ENTIRE...GAWDDAMN...STORYLINE, PEOPLE. YOU TRAVEL ONE-WAY IN TIME TO BLOW UP THE REACTORS. >_<;;;

#954 6 years ago

You could have Frank Frazetta himself do the artwork and 90% of Pinside would be complaining.

#955 6 years ago

I don't get the "complaining about the complaining". Who cares? Scott apparently doesn't. So if he doesn't, then let it go. Let people give their opinions about it, even if they hate it and say so.

We've been told Scott doesn't read this thread, for his own peace, and I would do the same thing. This isn't even a Pinside thing, this is an internet thing. People are going to comment on stuff, good and bad, and its ridiculous to think that ANYONE can please everyone, and have everyone else shut up about it.

#956 6 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Aurich I would upvote you multiple times if possible. Great post!

Thank you, I appreciate it, because I feel very strongly about this subject. We need to support our own, not tear them down.

You might not have liked my first draft of the post so much, I was pretty harsh. And you know what? I stopped, even walked away from the computer for a bit, and then edited it several times. Because being a jerk myself wasn't going to help anything, or make people listen to me.

I've been guilty of doing this myself, I don't hold myself above anyone else. I was a real asshole about GOT after it was revealed. And then I met Greg Freres and heard how it all made him feel and felt like a giant jerk. You're not railing against faceless, anonymous people here, they read, they have feelings. Just try and keep that in mind. I know I do.

Quoted from rai:

It was a joke, some of you guys need unclench.

It didn't read like a joke. I'm glad to hear it was, but consider that tone doesn't translate well to text, it just looked like another sexist comment, amongst several others.

Quoted from frolic:

I don't get the "complaining about the complaining". Who cares? Scott apparently doesn't. So if he doesn't, then let it go. Let people give their opinions about it, even if they hate it and say so.
We've been told Scott doesn't read this thread, for his own peace, and I would do the same thing. This isn't even a Pinside thing, this is an internet thing. People are going to comment on stuff, good and bad, and its ridiculous to think that ANYONE can please everyone, and have everyone else shut up about it.

This post is factually incorrect, and I'll leave it at that.

#957 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

My nipples are available for viewing

Now that is a tshirt....

#958 6 years ago

Hey Guys,

I do read this thread out of my own curiosity and even if I do not get a chance, my friends catch me up on it. I really appreciate the kind words from you guys, this is still unreal to me. It is neat to see what people think as I go along and I definitely can respect constructive criticism on what Matt, David, and I have done so far. Not everyone is going to like what my vision is for the game, and I totally understand that. I am also decently thick skinned, but saying stuff like you thought the art was a joke is pretty rough on anyone. I urge you guys to come find me at a show sometime and just talk to me. Go ahead and ask me about the vision for the game, and I will chat with you about it.

Thanks guys,
--Scott (the human version)

#959 6 years ago

I'm not very familiar with the game. What is your vision for the game?

#960 6 years ago

Well I got a complaint...
Why isn't this built yet and in my gameroom!
Happy Mothers Day
-Mike

#961 6 years ago

Maybe Spooky can do a 'naked' version, the version as is just the white wood. For those who do not like the art work.

#962 6 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Go ahead and ask me about the vision for the game, and I will chat with you about it.

I just want to know if there will be an alternate "nipple" backglass

BanerJay nipples would be amazing on it Like googly eyes but better.

#963 6 years ago

Go ahead and ask me about the vision for the game

What is you vision for the game?

#964 6 years ago
Quoted from PinBallMagician:

I'm not very familiar with the game. What is your vision for the game?

At a high level, the vision is actually pretty simple. I wanted to build a machine that was a blend of what I personally think made older games great but put in all new technology under the hood. The story line, artwork, final animations, music, and gameplay will all be retro-futuristic, meaning what someone from the 80's thought the far future was going to look like. It will be cohesive and look great when the final product is revealed. I do not plan on revealing any other art until it is done.

OK guys, too nice to be inside, see ya.
--Scott

#965 6 years ago

At a high level, the vision is actually pretty simple. I wanted to build a machine that was a blend of what I personally think made older games great but put in all new technology under the hood. The story line, artwork, final animations, music, and gameplay will all be retro-futuristic, meaning what someone from the 80's thought the far future was going to look like. It will be cohesive and look great when the final product is revealed. I do not plan on revealing any other art until it is done.
--Scott

You don't have connectivity outside? I know a guy... Enjoy your day as you're the mother giving birth to Total Nuclear Annihilation!

Brad

#966 6 years ago

It is pretty nice outside, I might get the nipples out, let em breath

#967 6 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Yeah I was hoping for more 80s look. The girl seems from another time.

Quoted from Frax:

I really don't get the comments that the female character looks like she's from another time...
THAT'S THE ENTIRE...GAWDDAMN...STORYLINE, PEOPLE. YOU TRAVEL ONE-WAY IN TIME TO BLOW UP THE REACTORS. >_<;;;

The storyline, artwork, final animations, music, and gameplay will all be retro-futuristic, meaning what someone from the 80's thought the far future was going to look like.

Futuristic movies or shows from the 80s: Blade Runner, Akira, The Running Man, Max Headroom, Robocop, Aliens, Tron

The way people dressed and styled their hair still was very much rooted in the 80s in these depictions of the future.

I don't see much of a problem with the rest of the art in the background. It's neon pink, purple and teal which somehow became the universal colors for the 80s. Maybe some people didn't expect any human representation on the game and the girl surprised them.

We have a discussion on the art because that's one thing the internet and pinside is for. To discuss our opinions with others. Very rarely our discussions influence final decisions and that's great. But if it doesn't, that's OK too. No reason to get all defensive about it. (This is not directed at Scott. I appreciate his response on here.)

#968 6 years ago

Nips out for Danesi?

#969 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

It is pretty nice outside, I might get the nipples out, let em breath

New bg for Hilton

IMG_0498 (resized).JPGIMG_0498 (resized).JPG

#970 6 years ago

I'm always down for a kick ass futuristic heroine movie.

IMG_3092 (resized).JPGIMG_3092 (resized).JPG

#971 6 years ago

Nips out for Danesi!

#972 6 years ago

Oh man how do you unsee that!

#973 6 years ago

LOL
-Mike

#974 6 years ago

Maybe it's a gal because Total Nuclear Annilation = TNA!!! Oh yea-!!!Bring on the nips!!

#975 6 years ago

After playing Alien and not seeing myself spending that price on it I'm excited to see where this ends up.

What were the price points on the other spooky games?

#976 6 years ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

After playing Alien and not seeing myself spending that price on it I'm excited to see where this ends up.
What were the price points on the other spooky games?

Basically same price as Alien.

#977 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Basically same price as Alien

I hope it's not that much.
Would be out of my price range.
-Mike

#978 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm always down for a kick ass futuristic heroine movie.

There's only one good heroin....and it's currently on my spoon, being heated with a lighter.

#979 6 years ago

--Scott

Hey scott, are there additional things codwise you are working on? Any more music you plan to create?
I would love to hear what other aspects you are working on if you want to share.

I heard there were some cool new lighting effects,but missed the stream.

#980 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Hey scott, are there additional things codwise you are working on? Any more music you plan to create?
I would love to hear what other aspects you are working on if you want to share.
I heard there were some cool new lighting effects,but missed the stream.

New lighting effects and new music as well from what I caught on the stream.

#981 6 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

I have to keep my opinions to myself on this one....really not digging that backglass, I actually thought it was a joke. The game is brilliant , definitely going to wait to see the final product.

Quoted from Whysnow:

digital copy
draft copy

In my view this is a total departure from the Hotline Miami / 80s retro futuristic style that Scott had originally pursued.

This looks more weeb / animé and/or OverWatch, and of that style not particularly great either (my opinion).

Doubt it's final, but I'd be extremely disappointed if they keep this look.

Machine itself, on the other hand, continues to look better and better.

#982 6 years ago

We all know art is a subjective thing. You can't please everyone & they will all have their own opinions. No reason to get overly sensitive at some criticisms. If you're going to reveal something, don't be shocked when people post their thoughts on it.

I love some aspects the 80's retro look (pinks/teals/neon grids,etc), but for me, the girl seems really out of place. I'd think it would make more sense to go with a 1980s faceless helmeted character (like motorcycle helmet or something), so the player could imagine his own likeness as being the hero of the game, destroying reactors, kicking ass, saving the world, etc. Just my thoughts on it.

But at least everyone can agree that what's most important is the gameplay itself. And with that aspect, you're really knocking it out of the park right now. Looking forward to seeing how your vision all comes together.

EDIT: After seeing that high resolution image below, I'm liking it even more

#983 6 years ago

Mr. K interviewed Scott for an hour+ in his latest podcast.
Some good info in there for those interested in the project.

Also, just noticed Lionman is on the backglass.

18491530_1433710856690137_8415466169065010846_o (resized).jpg18491530_1433710856690137_8415466169065010846_o (resized).jpg

#984 6 years ago

While the art does seem like more of a 80's/90's hybrid than the full on 80's miami vice style many of us were hoping for, I do still like it and look forward to the seeing the completed project.

#985 6 years ago

I thought the bare wood was kind of a cool look.

#986 6 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Seeing the full resolution really has me loving the backglass even more. I missed so much of the details at first glance and I am digging the mushroom cloud in the top left!

#987 6 years ago

Listening to Scott on K's podcast and he said the art vision is based upon something like steampunk (forgot the name) where people envision what the future looks like from an 80's lens. In effect, you pretend that you are living in the 80's and imagining what the future looks like. It makes sense as part of the story you are being sent to the 80's to blow up the reactors, so to blend in you would have to imagine the clothes being worn, etc.

Listening to this I am understanding better Scott's vision. Although not initially a fan of the girl's attire in particular, I am going to reserve judgment until the full package comes out now that I understand more of the vision. Regardless, kudos to Scott for the kickass job he has done to bring this to fruition!

#988 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Seeing the full resolution really has me loving the backglass even more. I missed so much of the details at first glance and I am digging the mushroom cloud in the top left!

"Parts from Terry"

Lionman!!! Starring Doug Manley and Jay Brand.

That car at the top really should look more like a Fiero. It's a little too boxy.

Great stuff.

#989 6 years ago

I had not really been paying attention to this game until I saw the latest Twitch stream.... This game looks like pure unadulterated pinball fun. Most impressive! I now see why this is getting produced by Spooky and what the accolades are all about.

Even at this early stage, I think it gets my vote for best light show in pinball.

#990 6 years ago

I thought I read or heard somewhere that the girl is modeled after his wife, if that is true I think that is awesome. How cool would it be to design a game and have your wife in the art as the lead character.

#991 6 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Hard to see how the backglass will look when the 4 LED score displays and LCD display are added to the mix. Mockups anyone?

#992 6 years ago

Whoo hoo! Doug and I are famous !!

#993 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Hard to see how the backglass will look when the 4 LED score displays and LCD display are added to the mix. Mockups anyone?

Please don't do that. Matt Andrews will be taking care of this when the time comes.

#994 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

I thought I read or heard somewhere that the girl is modeled after his wife,

Not sure if it was intentional or not, but it very much looks like Scott's wife.

#995 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

I thought I read or heard somewhere that the girl is modeled after his wife, if that is true I think that is awesome. How cool would it be to design a game and have your wife in the art as the lead character.

It is indeed modeled after his wife. Talk about scoring bonus points with your lady!

#996 6 years ago

I'll be the first to admit that I am definitely disappointed with what I initially saw out of the translite. It's just not the direction that I envisioned the game in my head. It's way to cartoony for my liking. I would prefer it to be a lot edgier. That doesn't mean its bad artwork though. I think my problem is that when you see a plain game with no artwork and you get to play it and it's a blast. Your mind can't help but think of what it's going to look like with art. So most of us that are disappointed is simply because we got to play an awesome game and our own minds have already filled in the art or at least what we think it should be. I'm looking forward to seeing it as a whole package and will likely get one because of the gameplay no matter what if the price point is reasonable.

So, not what I expected or had envisioned. It's not my game or my vision though so I'll still be buying one if everything comes together on it. Gameplay trumps artwork every day of the week.

#997 6 years ago

I want a "Crystl Cola" packaged with the game!

#998 6 years ago

Please don't do that. Matt Andrews will be taking care of this when the time comes.

Is your wife's name Chrystal? Or is the soda sign referencing Chrystal Pepsi?

#999 6 years ago

I think that the art looks awesome! Pinball far too often takes itself too seriously with the themes. This looks like just good fun. Bright, playful, and different from what we're used to seeing. I can't wait to see how this look takes shape on the playfield.

#1000 6 years ago

I literally snorted at the Crystl Cola... awesome.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

There are 7,250 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 145.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-annihilation-production/page/20 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.