Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 82 days ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 183 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 156 votes
    14%
  • No 219 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 324 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 63 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 44 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 34 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1142 votes by 940 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 842 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 7250 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 145.
#51 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

The cabinet, art and whatnot aren't the most expensive part, so a kit doesn't really save you much. Also it has a custom sized screen.

Kit as an loose parts, so all pf parts and a bunch of loose wire.

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from Rasavage:

The gameplay, sound and layout all looked great. I was curious though if the alpha/numeric displays were a necessity because there wasn't code for scoring on the lcd or if it was an intentional aesthetic choice.

Intentional choice.

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from Rasavage:

I was curious though if the alpha/numeric displays were a necessity because there wasn't code for scoring on the lcd or if it was an intentional aesthetic choice.

Since its as an 80s style game Scott wanted to have that look and originally he had no plan to even use the LCD for game play. But some of us convinced him to have both.

#54 2 years ago

The LCD serves a utilitarian purpose for testing and stuff

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Kit as an loose parts, so all pf parts and a bunch of loose wire.

A kit ? Loose wires? This idea is so far from any type of reality that it is laughable . Would you really want to try to make this wire harness yourself ? And if you did and had a wire or two out of place and are calling the manufacturer of this "kit" crying about your game not working . This would be a nightmare for both the person trying to put one of these togather from scratch and any company that would be foolish enough to try and produce a "kit " for this game . A kit is not going to happen , ever . Do not be fooled by it's simple appearance and single level layout , this is not a simple game.

20170303_202835 (resized).jpg

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

A kit ? Loose wires? This idea is so far from any type of reality that it is laughable . Would you really want to try to make this wire harness yourself ? And if you did and had a wire or two out of place and are calling the manufacturer of this "kit" crying about your game not working . This would be a nightmare for both the person trying to put one of these togather from scratch and any company that would be foolish enough to try and produce a "kit " for this game . A kit is not going to happen , ever . Do not be fooled by it's simple appearance and single level layout , this is not a simple game.

Yes I would pay 6k for this!

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

So popular no one has heard of it but you?

1. You're kidding, right?

2. REALLY. REALLY!?!

Pretty much anyone that's ever given two craps about RTS games is probably at least somewhat aware of TA, even if they didn't seriously play it. Very unique game as far as RTS games go.

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I'd like to start a pinside fight/argument:
Sell as a Kit?

Mission accomplished!

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Mission accomplished!

I guess this whole" kit" idea came from the fact that Scott put his game in an old Bally cabinet . Cabinet and coin door , that is the only parts from another game ,everything else is completely unique to this game . This isn't at all like someone could find a dolly parton drop a total annihilation playfield in the cabinet and have themselves a total annihilation .

#60 2 years ago

Total Annihilation: SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED

#61 2 years ago

I"d also like to add that if Total Annihilation gets produced I am buying one .

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

I"d also like to add that if Total Annihilation gets produced I am buying one .

me too!

just name the price Scott!

#63 2 years ago

I don't care who makes it I'd be in!

I have never bought, nor really seriously considered a new machine. Every once in a while you see something from a distributor or even Amazon for around 6000-6500 and i think MAYBE..........

This for me, if it were to go in to production, and you could get it in the say 6,500 range. I would buy and it'd be my first brand new machine. Something about it, it just seems so cool and looks so fun.

I mean that's the thing anyhow, it's all about personal preference. If you like it and it's fun, and you love it, get it if you can. I think this would be a favorite for many.

#64 2 years ago

The stars are all lined up, add a great hand drawn 80's style art package and you've got a winner.

#65 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

1. You're kidding, right?
2. REALLY. REALLY!?!
Pretty much anyone that's ever given two craps about RTS games is probably at least somewhat aware of TA, even if they didn't seriously play it. Very unique game as far as RTS games go.

I've heard of Planetary Annihilation (released a few years ago), but not Total Annihilation. My RTS experience kind of started and ended with some of the first Age of Empires games.

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've heard of Planetary Annihilation (released a few years ago), but not Total Annihilation. My RTS experience kind of started and ended with some of the first Age of Empires games.

I went and alpha tested Age of Empires 2 at Ensemble Studios...

#67 2 years ago

I've played TA before, I am on Frax's side on this one. That said, this pinball game is freaking cool. The music and lights are fantastic.

#68 2 years ago

I don't understand the rules, and the music could get old fast. Looks good but the price needs to be decent.

#69 2 years ago

Would like to see the guide feeding the bottom right flipper replaced with an inline flipper that works in synch. Talk about your classic pinballs, that would instantly establish the vibe. I'd love a game where you can't trap a ball on the right side flippers for fear of draining.

#70 2 years ago

I wasn't trying to stir anything up but since the topic is about the game theoretically going into production it's worth noting the trademark for "Total Annihilation" is owned by Atari.

I don't buy the argument that the trademark was for "computer software" and this is an "amusement device". The game uses P-ROC which is basically for a computer interface, correct? A computer running software?

God knows there's enough legal BS in pinball already.

#71 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

The stars are all lined up, add a great hand drawn 80's style art package and you've got a winner.

Scott said the art is being worked on right now

Don't think Outrun art style looks great hand drawn. You need stuff like this

r4wl6erbi9fy (resized).jpg
a2708728372_10 (resized).jpg
gruqx73wllvx (resized).jpg
q1uvua927ttx (resized).jpg
QynrMMK (resized).png

#72 2 years ago

I also agree that this pin would be fantastic with some 80s throwback-style artwork. I put together a rough logo idea / backglass to check out.

Total_Annihilation_3-13-17.jpg

#73 2 years ago
Quoted from Seantronic:

I also agree that this pin would be fantastic with some 80s throwback-style artwork. I put together a rough logo idea / backglass to check out.

Killer! Backlit with RGB LEDs with selective cut outs where the light can really pop would be awesome. Then you could have lighting effects that roll up from the playfield inserts, into the backbox and back again.

So cool!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#74 2 years ago

anyone else keep getting excited when you see this thread title and think "HELL YES, total annihilation is going into production!"?

only to be quickly brought back to reality when you remember it is just a poorly set-up thread title.

#75 2 years ago

It could happen I have heard that Spooky loves the game as much as everyone else.

#76 2 years ago

This game looks BOSS AS FxxK.
Proves you don't need wank factor, ramps, licensed themes and toys to create an awesome playing/looking pin.
80's style rocks hard.
More innovation than I have seen in a long time.
AWESOME and I would own one in a heartbeat.
More original themes required, well done Scott and DF for showing.

#77 2 years ago

Looks like I'm going to waiting in a long line at TPF to play this one!

-Steve

#78 2 years ago

Scott, please post a good picture of the under playfield. People need to get some perspective of exactly what is going on here.

This WOULD NOT be a cheap machine to manufacture.

In the long haul, fun factor is what rules the day, not toys and ramps. BTW, TA has pulled off a couple of neat little hat tricks; a toy created out of commonly used parts (the inline drops used as a ball locking mech) and an upper playfield that doesn't require you to actually grunt your way up there - i.e., it doesn't really exist while completely feeling like it is does.

#79 2 years ago

(the inline drops used as a ball locking mech) we call that The Danesi Lock

#80 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Since its as an 80s style game Scott wanted to have that look and originally he had no plan to even use the LCD for game play. But some of us convinced him to have both.

Make an LE without the LCD for us SS fanatics. We can hook up a laptop for the menus.

It really looked and sounded great.

#81 2 years ago

Major props to the game creator. Saw some off the dead flip stream and was impressed.

Regarding rules, is the primary goal to qualify a reactor, overload it by hitting the ball around in the upper playfield, destroy it with a shot, and then repeat this eight more times to finish all the reactors?

#82 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Make an LE without the LCD for us SS fanatics. We can hook up a laptop for the menus.
It really looked and sounded great.

Segment displays end up being more expensive than LCD screens nowadays. Especially when there is already a PC in the game.

Segments: $199 http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1730

LCD: $149 http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4430

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Make an LE without the LCD for us SS fanatics.

Oops. I read your post backwards. Sorry about that.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#84 2 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Segment displays end up being more expensive than LCD screens nowadays. Especially when there is already a PC in the game.
Segments: $199 http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1730
LCD: $149 http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4430
Aaron
FAST Pinball

only guessing as have zero programming experience but the programming of segments compared to the lcd must be alot easier.

#85 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

only guessing as have zero programming experience but the programming of segments compared to the lcd must be alot easier.

Absolutely. The LCDs only look excellent when the content is there. Frameworks like the Mission Pinball Framework have tools for making LCD displays look nice pretty quickly, but any rich content creation takes time for sure.

I misread the initial message and was commenting on how often times people assume the hardware is cheap for segment displays. This is not often the case anymore.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#86 2 years ago

The artwork needs to be 80s themed

This sort of stuff:

http://instagram.com/newretrowave

#87 2 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Scott said the art is being worked on right now
Don't think Outrun art style looks great hand drawn. You need stuff like this

Jinx!

Hadn't seen this sorry

#88 2 years ago
Quoted from Seantronic:

Get this printed off and onto the machine!

#89 2 years ago

Thanks, j69! Glad to hear that you like the design! The city, stars and eyes could be lit by animated LEDs for some added interest...

Total-Annihilation-logo-ANIMATED_3-14-17.gif

#90 2 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

I think the art will be 80's style trapper keeper. Scott is committed to the retro thing, damn fool purposely bought a fiero

all fun and games until you have to change the oil filter.

#91 2 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Oops. I read your post backwards. Sorry about that.
Aaron
FAST Pinball

no problem. I just really like the idea of someone making a modern pin with segment displays.

If he took away the LCD he would have to make sure the callouts, inserts and art were informative enough for the player.

#92 2 years ago

I played the living crap out of total annihilation on the PC (it was the better version of command & conquer and red alert). Bogged the hell down if you had a couple dozen machines on the screen at the same time on a pentium 90mhz.

When Scott was asking for names on facebook, I mentioned this title was taken and suggested something like total destruction. Copywright or not, even Ben changed his pinball from ghost squad to AMH because there was a SEGA arcade game with that name. If this moves forward to a production game, it might need a derivative name change. LEGALLY speaking, trademarks are only good for 10 years unless you renew:
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/filing-federal-trademark-application-faq.html

With that said, I'd totally be in on this. Awesome layout, awesome music, awesome story. The only thing that would put this over the top is some pink EL wire neon (maybe an aftermarket mod)?

#93 2 years ago

If the name has to change; something with 'Chrono' in it.
Chrono-macto

#94 2 years ago

I played this at Expo and loved it.

#95 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Total Annihilation was the inspiration for Planetary Annihilation, I think even some of the same guys made it. Total Annihilation was my go to RTS when I was in Uni. It was and still is a brilliant game.

As far as the Pinball machine goes, what a fantastic pin. I love the 80's themed music, the light show is excellent, and the objectives are clear. Just having this in the game room (if only I had room for a dedicated game room) would take me right back in time to the 80's. Wow, well done.

#96 2 years ago

Not at 7k! No way! This needs to be the first (full featured) 5k pin to come out.

#97 2 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Not at 7k! No way! This needs to be the first (full featured) 5k pin to come out.

5k is NEVER going to happen.

#98 2 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

You can get your BOM under 5k. But honestly factoring in programming, design and engineering work, as well credit card processing fees and other small costs that add up, a smaller run game priced under 6k game is a money losing venture.

Then when having your game manufactured by an outside company there is also the cost of having the game assembled and handled. Each game assembled could easily start at $700-$800 each. So add that in also.

This part of the equation is always left out when people guess what a pinball "should" cost. They want to pay for the parts, but nothing else.

There's got to be meat on the bone to run any sort of healthy business.

#99 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

Scott, please post a good picture of the under playfield. People need to get some perspective of exactly what is going on here.
This WOULD NOT be a cheap machine to manufacture.
In the long haul, fun factor is what rules the day, not toys and ramps. BTW, TA has pulled off a couple of neat little hat tricks; a toy created out of commonly used parts (the inline drops used as a ball locking mech) and an upper playfield that doesn't require you to actually grunt your way up there - i.e., it doesn't really exist while completely feeling like it is does.

de1f4e2825e4812f116fd12b9658403b (resized).jpg

#100 2 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Quoted from Whysnow:

5k is NEVER going to happen.

Seriously, Scott needs to get on here and school Pinside as to why this pin (on its current path) will never be a 5K pin. People need to understand that is not your, run of the mill, single level pinball machine. This is a very special machine that people need to see and play to understand. You may not think a single level old school looking machine could be worth 7k+, but I can tell you that this game is as fun (if not more fun) than a lot of the current games being offered today. That is saying A LOT considering the game isn't even finished yet.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 59.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sylacauga, AL
$ 134.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
There are 7250 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 145.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside