Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 86 days ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 183 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 156 votes
    14%
  • No 219 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 324 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 63 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 44 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 34 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1142 votes by 940 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 842 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 7250 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 145.
#801 2 years ago
Quoted from mgpasman:

I figure they met somewhere during the development of BoP 2.0

Both Scott and Koen hang out on the Pin Dev Slack channel, along with lots of other custom game people. It's a good place to be if you're looking for information on making your own games.

#802 2 years ago

Ok disclaimer: I'm in no way knocking Scott's hombrew game. Heck I could never make one, but wouldn't be a problem to do the same thing over and over again for 5 reactors, sorry I've never played the game. I've only watched the video a few times. You bring the reactors online, overloaded and destroy it. Same shots for each reactor..right? Again not trolling just wondering if that's the idea or maybe I missed something.

#803 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Ok disclaimer: I'm in no way knocking Scott's hombrew game. Heck I could never make one, but wouldn't be a problem to do the same thing over and over again for 5 reactors, sorry I've never played the game. I've only watched the video a few times. You bring the reactors online, overloaded and destroy it. Same shots for each reactor..right? Again not trolling just wondering if that's the idea or maybe I missed something.

Have you ever played an 80s Bally game?

#804 2 years ago

No...never. I was in an underground bomb shelter for that time.

#805 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

No...never. I was in an underground bomb shelter for that time.

This is what I asked earlier. I have played Space Station once seemed like I was close to solving the pin on my first play.

However maybe it's like video game PacMan or Q-Bert where it's same same but you can have fun doing the same same.

#806 2 years ago

Space Station isn't from the early 80s, and it's not by Bally, so ... okay, you played a Space Station once, congrats, but I cannot fathom what it has to do with the conversation.

It's like it's impossible to conceive of a game that doesn't have ramps.

This game isn't for you, don't buy it.

#808 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Yes it is the same shots to get the reactor online and to start the reactor . But only one of the orbits will allow you to enter the reactor once you've started it and that orbit switches every time you hit the pop or a a sling . While in the reactor sling and rollovers will get the reator to critical . To destroy the first reactor it will be one random shot randomly chosen from 8 targets , the 3 standups on the left , one standup near scoop , 3 standups in middle or the pop bumper . Reactor 2 will be 2 of those shots randomly chosen , and so on so each reactor gets increasingly harder to destroy . Also since the destroy reactor shots are random every time you destroy one it has a unique feel to it.

#809 2 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Yes it is the same shots to get the reactor online and to start the reactor . But only one of the orbits will allow you to enter the reactor once you've started it and that orbit switches every time you hit the pop or a a sling . While in the reactor sling and rollovers will get the reator to critical . To destroy the first reactor it will be one random shot randomly chosen from 8 targets , the 3 standups on the left , one standup near scoop , 3 standups in middle or the pop bumper . Reactor 2 will be 2 of those shots randomly chosen , and so on so each reactor gets increasingly harder to destroy . Also since the destroy reactor shots are random every time you destroy one it has a unique feel to it.

Ooh this game sounds better and better the more I learn about it.

#810 2 years ago

Also more strategy involved , you can either just try to destroy the reactors one after another (which is tough on its own) or you can max out the reactor value before you start the reactor (which makes it tougher but the reward is great) Multiball is a multiplier so you also want to be in multiball when you destroy it .

#811 2 years ago

Most reactors I have destroyed in a single game was 3 .

#812 2 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Also more strategy involved , you can either just try to destroy the reactors one after another (which is tough on its own) or you can max out the reactor value before you start the reactor (which makes it tougher but the reward is great) Multiball is a multiplier so you also want to be in multiball when you destroy it .

Sounds great!

#813 2 years ago
Quoted from mgpasman:

His day job is "working at Pinball Life" according to Spooky's latest podcast.

Yes, Scott works at Pinball Life as his *day job*. He is our engineer and resident genius.

As for TNA, this is Scott's *moonlighting* job. PBL is not developing the game. All things TNA are between Spooky and Danesi Designs.

Of course Scott not only works at PBL, he is also my friend and has been for the last decade or so. I 100% support the TNA project for that reason, and it's certainly reason enough. However, PBL does not manufacture or develop pinball machines. I just want to make that clear for the record (or perhaps no one was wondering, but whatever).

Terry.

#814 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

Yes, Scott works at Pinball Life as his *day job*. He is our engineer and resident genius.
As for TNA, this is Scott's *moonlighting* job. PBL is not developing the game. All things TNA are between Spooky and Danesi Designs.
Of course Scott not only works at PBL, he is also my friend and has been for the last decade or so. I 100% support the TNA project for that reason, and it's certainly reason enough. However, PBL does not manufacture or develop pinball machines. I just want to make that clear for the record (or perhaps no one was wondering, but whatever).
Terry.

Just bagatelle

#816 2 years ago

Totally different

#817 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

That's Day One Pinball.

day_one_pinball.png

#818 2 years ago

Oh yeah?

IMG_8547 (resized).JPG

#819 2 years ago

I don't mean to derail, this game is straight up fun, a hard thing to make happen

#820 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Quoted from rai:

This is what I asked earlier. I have played Space Station once seemed like I was close to solving the pin on my first play.
However maybe it's like video game PacMan or Q-Bert where it's same same but you can have fun doing the same same.

Quoted from Aurich:

Space Station isn't from the early 80s, and it's not by Bally, so ... okay, you played a Space Station once, congrats, but I cannot fathom what it has to do with the conversation.
It's like it's impossible to conceive of a game that doesn't have ramps.
This game isn't for you, don't buy it.

Both legit questions, especially if you've never played it before. It's a simple-ish layout and it's difficult to convey how much fun it is to play over the internet. Not sure why asking a legit and fundamental rule question should means the game "isnt for you" and therefore "dont buy it".

#821 2 years ago

Yes, Scoregasm is awesome (see what I did there?)

#822 2 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

I don't mean to derail, this game is straight up fun, a hard thing to make happen

No doubt about it, the machine plays fast and fun with a great soundtrack. There are plenty of machines that have had a fair amount of time, knowledge, and money invested in them that simply aren't fun. This isn't one of those.

Brad

#823 2 years ago

Throwing a million things in a machine doesn't guarantee a good time.

#824 2 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Throwing a million things in a machine doesn't guarantee a good time.

Or a million years. And many have a different opinion of what a good time is...

Brad

#825 2 years ago

Vajazzler

Quoted from bangerjay:Throwing a million things in a machine doesn't guarantee a good time.

Unless one of those million things is a Vajazzler.

#826 2 years ago

Also, Scott helped build that, so there's some of his DNA involved

IMG_1177 (resized).JPG

#827 2 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Ok so there is a sort of a randomizer involved destroying the reactors. This is what I was hoping for.

#828 2 years ago

I like that you do the same thing over and over. If Scott wanted he could differentiate the reactors with callouts or more pulsing music. AFM does that with the flying saucer.

#829 2 years ago

This game has an element of rinse and repeat, same as early 80s stuff. Plain and simple. If that's not for you, fine. I really LOVE early 80s stuff, but what Scott's doing even better than most of the classics his game is inspired by is the randomization of objective shots, and even more so the risk / reward. I cannot wait to throw money at this game!

#830 2 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

so there's some of his DNA involved

What did you guys do to those machines?!?!?!

#831 2 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

What did you guys do to those machines?!?!?!

certain question are not to be asked.

certain things can not be unseen

Quoted from dmbjunky:

If Scott wanted he could differentiate the reactors with callouts or more pulsing music.

That is my hope. Scott has started a great sound track and I think the light show, fx, and tunes are what will make the game feel and sense the progress. The game play is very class of 81 Bally but brutal in your face pace, the rinse repeat objective is randomized by way of small changes to target requirements to bring reactors up and random shots/ increasing shots to destroy, and the challenge to score big is the reall under lying strategy!

I agree that different vibe and feel would be great as you move through the different reactors. The lighting could really polish this immeriosn also! Would be cool if progress to each 'different' reactor is non-linear also so you could experience all different locations by pure luck as you move through the game. The sound and callouts could of course tie to a more linear progress so that 'builds'.

#832 2 years ago

also, just talking ideas.

Happy with whatever Scott does with this and just excited to see it continue to develop into production!

#833 2 years ago

Just based on the Dead Flip video, this game looks amazing and fun. So amazingly fast. That pop on the right side is wicked.I'll bet I'll be in on one of the "batch of 50's".

#834 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Would be cool if progress to each 'different' reactor is non-linear

I would actually prefer a linear experience. As you progress further into the reactors the music becomes more frantic and pulsing like Gorgar does with the heartbeat. Is that Gorgar?

#835 2 years ago

I think Space Invaders does that too

#836 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I would actually prefer a linear experience. As you progress further into the reactors the music becomes more frantic and pulsing like Gorgar does with the heartbeat. Is that Gorgar?

Quoted from TKDalumni:

I think Space Invaders does that too

Lots of games do it.

#837 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

That's Day One Pinball.

Will there be another pinball from Day One ?

#838 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I think there is a way to do both of the things we are looking for?

i.e. a way to make it so you can explore stages of recactors in a non linear fashion (i.e get a more novel experience each play) but still use sound effects, callouts, music, blending of it all to increase the hype and intensity.

In a somewhat similar way that LOTR uses an increase in volume and fx as you progress in a game to draw you in to the movie experience.

#839 2 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Will there be another pinball from Day One ?

The name would then change to Day Two and it would be a big mess...

Brad

#840 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I think there is a way to do both of the things we are looking for?
i.e. a way to make it so you can explore stages of recactors in a non linear fashion (i.e get a more novel experience each play) but still use sound effects, callouts, music, blending of it all to increase the hype and intensity.
In a somewhat similar way that LOTR uses an increase in volume and fx as you progress in a game to draw you in to the movie experience.

Well he could name the reactors and give them each singular call outs like AFM does with Saucers but I would prefer more obscurity. It would feel more 80s to me like Pac-Man's variety of 255 screens.

#841 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Well he could name the reactors and give them each singular call outs like AFM does with Saucers but I would prefer more obscurity. It would feel more 80s to me like Pac-Man's variety of 255 screens.

yeah, I trust in Scott (would be a good shirt )

#842 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Cherry reactor, straberry reactor, peach reactor..

More serious, the stages could be differentiated by changes in the RGB LED effects.. color palette swaps of lightshows would be cheap development-wise and a good throwback, since that was a common trick in the 80s.

#843 2 years ago

Scott already has an awesome shirt

IMG_8549 (resized).JPG

#844 2 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Also, Scott helped build that, so there's some of his DNA involved

That sounds kind of gross, dude.

#845 2 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Scott already has an awesome shirt

Nice anchor on the corner of the bed there.

#846 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

#847 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Better yet, check out the mirror in the back.

#848 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

just thankful the mirror is cropped an doesnt go any higher

#849 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

They're doing it pre-emptively, just to avoid any possible issue. I bet there'd have been no issue.
New name is fine.

There would have been issues. "Atari" in its current form exists solely as an IP troll, looking for people to sue as it's primary revenue stream. For example, just last year they decided any game set in a haunted house owes them licensing fees.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/04/atari-still-exists-thinks-no-one-else-can-make-a-haunted-house-game/

#850 2 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

just thankful the mirror is cropped an doesnt go any higher

I'm surprised he did not need to crop further...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 3.50
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jacksonville, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sylacauga, AL
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 7250 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 145.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside