Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 158 votes
    14%
  • No 220 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 326 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 64 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 45 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 36 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1151 votes by 945 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,250 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 145.
#551 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Pin sales boil down to one thing - Will a 50 year-old man buy it?
It's the reason extremely well done custom games like Buffy get largely ignored while a POS brick-fest like Predator steals half a million.

And BINGO was its name-o.
Perfectly said.
Terry.

#552 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Personally, I'd like the *option* of cutting out the LCD and saving $1K, if that were a possibility.

LCDs aren't that expensive. Maybe $50 or so in production quantities. What makes them expensive is paying genuine artists good money to make them pop! . That expense is worth every single penny . Video clips and other filler is nice, but you have to have a graphics artist that can tie it all together with slick fonts, animations, wipes, etc.

Quoted from Aurich:

Oh Pinside, someone shows their game and all everyone can do is ask for changes.

I wasn't asking for changes per say ... I don't expect the designer to even acknowledge my post ... Only reason I even said anything is that the pin has a totally 80s feel & I'd love to see them make something with old school alphanumerics.

Moreover, I was only offering up my opinion that a backbox LCD doesn't do squat for the player ... if it's in the field and done right, that could be something slick (Heighway has done a good job doing this so far) .

I'm not one of those arrogant, back seat designers that think I know what I'm talking about and feel my opinion is law . Sorry if you got that impression ... That wasn't my intent.

#553 7 years ago

The segment displays don't need to be expensive or need a heap of wiring. These as an example only need 3 wires. They can be daisy chained too, so run all 4 displays from 3 wires

https://www.tindie.com/products/rajbex/serial-8-digit-7-segment-led-display-red/

#554 7 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

The segment displays don't need to be expensive or need a heap of wiring. These as an example only need 3 wires. They can be daisy chained too, so run all 4 displays from 3 wires
https://www.tindie.com/products/rajbex/serial-8-digit-7-segment-led-display-red/

You know, I hadn't thought about the fact that this game does not need to precisely adhere to a certain segment display style/format. In my previous efforts with segment displays we needed to exactly match or it wasn't good enough.

Cool site, too.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#555 7 years ago

I thinks its a great but expensive game to build.
Losts of inserts and wires, so it has a hi BOM.
Cuting down is not a option.

Maybe build 10 handmade (for 10k a piece) just like wooly or Buffy.
This makes it very special if there ar no more than 10.
My Starwars cost 3500 dollar to build incl a donnor SW.
Mediëval Castle cost me 3100 dollar incl a donor Nba.
So its possible to handbuild in small series cheap on special demand.

#556 7 years ago

Cracking up at all the price shaving and "I want Scott to [do something]" posts (some of which seem like good ideas, others not so much).

Here's my take on it.

I want Scott to make a profit and be inspired to follow up with another game that he takes the time (which may be a while since this has been a passion project) to "do right."

#557 7 years ago
Quoted from c508:

I want Scott to make a profit and be inspired to follow up with another game that he takes the time (which may be a while since this has been a passion project) to "do right."

I'm guessing Scott is going to burn out on this whole process and never want to do it again.

#558 7 years ago

You have your whole life to make your first game, six months for the second

#559 7 years ago

Hurry up Scott, I want to see Fiero Fever

#560 7 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Hurry up Scott, I want to see Fiero Fever

I thought it was Fast and Fieroest? Did he change the name again??

#561 7 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

That is so true

#562 7 years ago

I was so happy to see Scotts design picked up by spooky. But now I kinda wish I didn't know about it until it was a month out and completely designed etc.
I don't want to read through 6+ months of suggestions and price speculation which is going to kill my buzz! But I don't want to drain the thread and miss important information!
Damn you pinside!

#563 7 years ago

What do the lights near the flippers do? I mean the square of 15 lights between the slings plus the three below those?

#564 7 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

And then... after enough "unprecedented success" and "groundbreaking innovation" you just have to cash the checks, buy a Range Rover, install a "magic door" inside an oversized rented shop, and single-handedly keep the local Starbucks profitable whilst pursuing various other projects none of your original buyers/investors ever intended to fund (or even knew about).

But hey... now we have "real quickstep solenoids"!

#565 7 years ago

Scott's weird though, a working game then art??? Whaaaatttttt?

#566 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

I was so happy to see Scotts design picked up by spooky. But now I kinda wish I didn't know about it until it was a month out and completely designed etc.
I don't want to read through 6+ months of suggestions and price speculation which is going to kill my buzz! But I don't want to drain the thread and miss important information!
Damn you pinside!

You will find more information about Total Annihilation in the Lionman thread than you will in this thread .

#567 7 years ago

I said to the Scott, who avoids this thread, that I find it quite entertaining as you have clueless people passionately debating with other clueless people.

#568 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I said to the Scott, who avoids this thread, that I find it quite entertaining as you have clueless people passionately debating with other clueless people.

The worse thing would be no one giving a shit. So take the attention in stride.

#569 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I'm guessing Scott is going to burn out on this whole process and never want to do it again.

I'm surprised you aren't burned out with all the projects you've blazed through!

#570 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

What do the lights near the flippers do? I mean the square of 15 lights between the slings plus the three below those?

Bonus count

#571 7 years ago

Sergant Rex Colt approves of TA.

FC3_Blood_Dragon_Cover (resized).jpgFC3_Blood_Dragon_Cover (resized).jpg

#572 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I'm surprised you aren't burned out with all the projects you've blazed through!

Enh, I'm basically burned out on the Ironman HD thing.

#573 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Bonus count from 1K-10K, then 10K-50K, then the triangles are 2X, 3X and 4X.

#574 7 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

Sergant Rex Colt approves of TA.

That's a cool art style for an 80s theme. The neon looks great.

#575 7 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

That's a cool art style for an 80s theme. The neon looks great.

Good point. May we assume that the art will integrate with the LCD animations? That only makes sense though, right? I'll go out on a limb and say that "hot neon pink" is a possibility

The artist will do a great job integrating the art with the LCD stuff... he's got top level skill.

#576 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Bonus count from 1K-10K, then 10K-50K, then the triangles are 2X, 3X and 4X.

bonus for end of ball or for specific shots? How are bonus built up?

#577 7 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Nope.
You can get your BOM under 5k. But honestly factoring in programming, design and engineering work, as well credit card processing fees and other small costs that add up, a smaller run game priced under 6k game is a money losing venture.
Then when having your game manufactured by an outside company there is also the cost of having the game assembled and handled. Each game assembled could easily start at $700-$800 each. So add that in also.
Stern can do it because they have the infrastructure in place and can spread these costs across many titles and get it all running optimally. Spooky is doing it too, just doesn't have the economies of scale that Stern does. Yet.
Most importantly, in my opinion, is to make sure the game is priced in a way that makes the entire effort worth doing. The market always wants the lowest price possible, but if it is priced so low that the parties involved "break even" at best in the end, then there is little incentive to do it again.
While cool new game designs are the most exciting part for many, I find a solid business plan and responsible company making the games to be just as, if not more, exciting. But I am small biz guy outside of pinball, so my tastes may be skewed.
I love TA. Scott did a killer job. Definitely one of my favorite games played at Expo last year. The sound was so impressive. Crunch the numbers and figure out how to get this game into the hands of its biggest fans!
Aaron
FAST Pinball

Bat66 LE pricing was a joke.

#578 7 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Nope.
You can get your BOM under 5k. But honestly factoring in programming, design and engineering work, as well credit card processing fees and other small costs that add up, a smaller run game priced under 6k game is a money losing venture.
Then when having your game manufactured by an outside company there is also the cost of having the game assembled and handled. Each game assembled could easily start at $700-$800 each. So add that in also.
Stern can do it because they have the infrastructure in place and can spread these costs across many titles and get it all running optimally. Spooky is doing it too, just doesn't have the economies of scale that Stern does. Yet.
Most importantly, in my opinion, is to make sure the game is priced in a way that makes the entire effort worth doing. The market always wants the lowest price possible, but if it is priced so low that the parties involved "break even" at best in the end, then there is little incentive to do it again.
While cool new game designs are the most exciting part for many, I find a solid business plan and responsible company making the games to be just as, if not more, exciting. But I am small biz guy outside of pinball, so my tastes may be skewed.
I love TA. Scott did a killer job. Definitely one of my favorite games played at Expo last year. The sound was so impressive. Crunch the numbers and figure out how to get this game into the hands of its biggest fans!
Aaron
FAST Pinball

Yup, the poor saps that buy LE's help keep the pro price down.............. they take it the shorts for the Pro while the LE makes bank.... End the cycle people..

#579 7 years ago

The whole idea of Pro and Prem/LE is kind of ridiculous in all honesty. Back in the peak of pinball in the 90s, what you saw was what you got, no model comparisions. If you wanted a TAF, you got a TAF, not a TAF PRO, that didnt have the Power Magets and Thing hand/Thing flips. Designers need to go back to making games as they are. If an upper playfield is in the design, add it, but not as the requisite of it being a Premium model. Can you imagine SOF or TZ without an upper pf? Of course not! But the fact that you can take a GoT and add an upper pf, then charge and extra 2k is kind of ridiculous. /rant

Back to Scott; his design, no Pro/Premium models. Just Total Annihilation!!!

#580 7 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

The whole idea of Pro and Prem/LE is kind of ridiculous in all honesty.

Quoted from FatPanda:

But the fact that you can take a GoT and add and upper pf, then charge and extra 2k is kind of ridiculous. /rant

I'm sorry, what's your point? I mean besides the kind of ridiculous part.

#581 7 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

I'm sorry, what's your point? I mean besides the kind of ridiculous part.

To design and produce the table with the end product in mind, not to keep elements out of it, then add the "extras" and charge more.

#582 7 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

To design and produce the table with the end product in mind, not to keep elements out of it, then add the "extras" and charge more.

Kind of ridiculous to be making that point considering there's been no indication of any of those things happening.

#583 7 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Kind of ridiculous to be making that point considering there's been no indication of any of those things happening.

Im mainly talking about Stern, not Spooky or TA, hence the last sentence in my original post about Scott making his table.

#584 7 years ago

Semi-annihilation?

#585 7 years ago

What bout Partial Annihilation, Semi Annihilation, then Total Annihilation. I like to control my ilations you see.

#586 7 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

You will find more information about Total Annihilation in the Lionman thread than you will in this thread .

So true!
Terry.

#587 7 years ago

If Stern was making this, they'd probably only have 6 color changing lights.

Like $15k BM66 SLE

#588 7 years ago

Will it run on P3 or Spooky platform?

#589 7 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

I asked a couple of pages ago, no comments yet. Perhaps it's too soon to tell. It currently runs on P3. If Spooky can handle such a large display, who knows. I was curious whether it would make the BOM less expensive.

#590 7 years ago

It currently runs on the p3-roc controller board.

Technically, the p3 is the name of Multimorphic's pinball platform --the one that runs Lexy, Cannon Lagoon, Heads Up, Grand Slam Rally, ROCs...

The only reason I'm bothering to be picky about the naming is that Scott has talked about designing a P3 playfield module/game at some future point.

#591 7 years ago

I sure hope they can figure out a way to get it on Spooky/Ben Heck board. As I understand it, that could save them lots of $$$ in hardware.

#592 7 years ago

I think the jetsons display (more pixels, but far from the HD Scott has now) is as far as Ben can currently push the hardware. Maybe that's ok for this game seeing how this is supposed to be retro 80's?

#593 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

bonus for end of ball or for specific shots? How are bonus built up?

Just normal pinball end of ball bonus.

#594 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I think the jetsons display (more pixels, but far from the HD Scott has now) is as far as Ben can currently push the hardware. Maybe that's ok for this game seeing how this is supposed to be retro 80's?

I was not impressed with the Jetsons display at TPF. The colors were washed out and overall the image quality isn't very good. It wasn't close to what Scott had on TI.

#595 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I sure hope they can figure out a way to get it on Spooky/Ben Heck board. As I understand it, that could save them lots of $$$ in hardware.

I hear that if he can find a way to get it EM style driving a laserdisc player they could save $$$$$$$$!!

Fingers crossed you guys.

#596 7 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

I hear that if he can find a way to get it EM style driving a laserdisc player they could save $$$$$$$$!!
Fingers crossed you guys.

I mean I understand I should expect the thumbs down from the Proc crew. The reality is that the pinheck board is what Spooky has been using and from my experience with buying Proc boards and from what I know about pinheck board, one is far more expensive.

I am guessing we will see this on the Proc system since that is how it was originally designed. I just wish/hope it could go on the pinheck as I woudl rather that cost savings go into Scott/Spooky pockets

I also really like the ease of the single board pinheck system. All said, I am sure that would create all sorts of new challenges give the amazing things Scott has already designed off the proc foundation.

#597 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I just wish/hope it could go on the pinheck as I woudl rather that cost savings go into Scott/Spooky pockets

There's no cost savings because time isn't free.

#598 7 years ago

Hey Scott, remember those hundreds of hours you spent programming? Do that again so we save some money

#599 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am guessing we will see this on the Proc system since that is how it was originally designed. I just wish/hope it could go on the pinheck as I woudl rather that cost savings go into Scott/Spooky pockets
I also really like the ease of the single board pinheck system. All said, I am sure that would create all sorts of new challenges give the amazing things Scott has already designed off the proc foundation.

I see this kind of fallacy all over the place. Setting aside the quite vast differences in programming for each boardset, the capabilities of each are far different. Have you seen the light shows for Total Annihilation? Imagine trying to program them in a different language, with a board with different capabilities for driving lamps.

Different boardset, different programming language, different capabilities.

Would you prefer a watered-down interpretation of what Total Annihilation is currently, or a production version of same? I know which I would prefer.

Throwing a programmer at the problem is not the solution, either. Ever wonder why certain features were slow to be implemented by certain boardsets over the years?

I use the P3-Roc, so I guess I'm biased. I will say that it is the most elegant and useful pinball control system I've ever had the pleasure of working on/with.

#600 7 years ago

It's not fair that you cite facts

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,250 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 145.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-annihilation-production/page/12?hl=aingide and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.