Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 158 votes
    14%
  • No 220 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 326 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 64 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 45 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 36 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1151 votes by 945 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,250 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 145.
#501 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

...given the thumping synth / retrowave soundtrack...

By far my favorite new "sounds like the 80's" tune......

Later,
EV

#502 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

On the face of it, in that case TA would probably be a bad candidate for manufacture, given the thumping synth / retrowave soundtrack, similar Hotline Miami type LCD graphics (and I suspect art package?), and what some older customers might consider an overwhelming light show. How many 50 year olds listen to or are even cognisant of that kind of music or new pixel shooter videogames?

Welp, I'm pushing 50 and think the music is fantastic. Miami Vice-like graphics, thank you very much (which btw was on TV when I was a teenager). The light show is great.

tl;dr 50 =/= old

#503 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm 52 years old, totally down for TA

I'm not 52 but I'm always down for some good T and A

#504 6 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

I'm not 52 but I'm always down for some good T and A

if you get this game i wont leave your house, can i rent out a room

#505 6 years ago

Yeah, I don't think Ben realizes how many people raved in the 90's. I'm 45 and I love electronic music.

“If Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.”

#506 6 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

if you get this game i wont leave your house, can i rent out a room

Oh you know me, I'm a new toy hoar, there's no question I'll be getting it, just a matter of when!

#507 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Yeah, I don't think Ben realizes how many people raved in the 90's. I'm 45 and I love electronic music.
“If Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.”

Yep. Both Tron and now TA are showing that electronic music rocks in pins!

Plus it's time for pinball companies to start offering products for younger segments of the growing market, and a specialty run game like TA is perfect for that. Can you justify a relatively low run game without milking the high-end collector end of the market price-wise though? It would be refreshing if the answer was "yes".

I'd buy a TA to put in our league location if it ends up being, say 4-$5K, but probably not if it's going to more than that.

#508 6 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Welp, I'm pushing 50 and think the music is fantastic. Miami Vice-like graphics, thank you very much (which btw was on TV when I was a teenager). The light show is great.
tl;dr 50 =/= old

Wasn't really my point that 50+ year olds (or older) wouldn't like it. More that if you were doing product research for people with grey or greying hair, something like this would likely never come up, or would be passed in favour of things with supposedly better 'wrinkly' appeal.

Just my view, but if enough love is put into the art and LCD, I think this can potentially sell better than Elvira 3.

#509 6 years ago

The game looks incredible.

Only thing I'd ask the designer to consider ...

Given the "era" the game fits in, what is the point of the LCD in the backbox? I get that you probably need them to sell the game in today's market ... but is it *really* buying you anything?

If you *have* to use an LCD, I'd consider using something like a Williams 2x16 alphanumeric display for this game and find a way to integrate the LCD into the playfield *if* you feel you're going to have to use one . That way, the game has the 80s vibe when you look at it from afar, but has a more modern feel when you're playing it. It'd be a damn shame to play the game and not see the stuff the LCD is doing .

Regardless, they've nailed the layout ... I *WANT* to play this pin . The layout and the audio work together in a seemingly perfect way. I almost feel like someone would have to drag me away from it . Outstanding frigging job!!!!!!

#510 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I think this can potentially sell better than Elvira 3.

God lets hope so.

#511 6 years ago

Why in the world would you be rooting for the failure of a different pin?! Elvira3 and Total Annihilation can and hopefully will peacefully coexist with each other in the pinball pantheon.

#512 6 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Why in the world would you be rooting for the failure of a different pin?! Elvira3 and Total Annihilation can and hopefully will peacefully coexist with each other in the pinball pantheon.

Because Elvira sucks. We dont need re-hashed bs themes from the past.

#513 6 years ago

Oh Pinside, someone shows their game and all everyone can do is ask for changes. Luckily Scott won't pay any attention to any of it, but FFS. It's in good hands, and if you don't like the final result don't buy it. But let the man do his thing.

#514 6 years ago

What percentage of people who "love" TA are going to disappointed because the game doesn't turn out how they imagined it.

#515 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

"We"? GTFO.

#516 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Oh Pinside, someone shows their game and all everyone can do is ask for changes. Luckily Scott won't pay any attention to any of it, but FFS. It's in good hands, and if you don't like the final result don't buy it. But let the man do his thing.

It's almost like this isn't a pinball message board, where people talk about all things pinball!

#517 6 years ago

Will this ship before Alien?

#518 6 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

The game looks incredible.
Only thing I'd ask the designer to consider ...
Given the "era" the game fits in, what is the point of the LCD in the backbox? I get that you probably need them to sell the game in today's market ... but is it *really* buying you anything?
If you *have* to use an LCD, I'd consider using something like a Williams 2x16 alphanumeric display for this game and find a way to integrate the LCD into the playfield *if* you feel you're going to have to use one . That way, the game has the 80s vibe when you look at it from afar, but has a more modern feel when you're playing it. It'd be a damn shame to play the game and not see the stuff the LCD is doing .
Regardless, they've nailed the layout ... I *WANT* to play this pin . The layout and the audio work together in a seemingly perfect way. I almost feel like someone would have to drag me away from it . Outstanding frigging job!!!!!!

let me just say... the implementation of the display he has chosen with the animations and everything is excellent, and he has already done a ton of work to get it to the point it's at to make the LCD relevant.... and it is very relevant, so are the smaller scoring displays, I like them too, because why not, and yes I played it at TPF at 1am when there were no distractions at all

#519 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

let me just say... the implementation of the display he has chosen with the animations and everything is excellent, and he has already done a ton of work to get it to the point it's at to make the LCD relevant.... and it is very relevant, so are the smaller scoring displays, I like them too, because why not, and yes I played it at TPF at 1am when there were no distractions at all

Makes sense, the hypothetical was in order to reduce the bill of materials.

Personally, I'd like the *option* of cutting out the LCD and saving $1K, if that were a possibility.

#520 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Some people don't have anything to live for so they need to rehash the past to keep them going. Too much consumption of the 'member berries.

#521 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Makes sense, the hypothetical was in order to reduce the bill of materials.
Personally, I'd like the *option* of cutting out the LCD and saving $1K, if that were a possibility.

heh. cutting the display just creates a massive unnecessary difference in software. And doesn't cut anywhere NEAR $1k out of the price. Probably not even $100.

The pinside price bitching thread once the retail price for this game gets announced is going to be legendary.

#522 6 years ago

Plus don't you need a display for the High Score as well as the menu options?

#523 6 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Yes, but the sickness of nixies in a new production machine...

You can create a similar experience using laser cut plastics and led lighting. I love this!

https://hackaday.io/project/18633-lixie-an-led-alternative-to-the-nixie-tube

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#524 6 years ago

And to play Wham! videos

#525 6 years ago

Lcd is much cheaper than the numerical displays . Numerical displays also require far more wiring than a lcd . Removing the lcd would not save any where close to $1,000 on the total cost (maybe $100 probably less). Removing the numerical displays would get you closer to that number but not much ,numerical didplays cost around $200 but there is also extra work invovled with having them there . Just saying if you are worried about price lcd will stay , numerical will go .

#526 6 years ago

Are Nixie tubes even associated with the 80's?

#527 6 years ago

80's nostalgia is hot right now and certainly fits the "pin buyers" age demo. And younger people are fascinated with that decade as well. The awesome soundtrack would make TA a smash in Europe as well.

What I meant by "50 year old men" is that some themes can be rejected outright for being "too young". Like a game starring a cell phone.

#528 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

heh. cutting the display just creates a massive unnecessary difference in software. And doesn't cut anywhere NEAR $1k out of the price. Probably not even $100.
The pinside price bitching thread once the retail price for this game gets announced is going to be legendary.

Cutting the backbox segments is what would save the most money. LCDs are cheaper, but the content creation cost is greater.

DO NOT make display choices an "option." Creating all these different configurations is what is going to sink new pinball companies. Making a "Standard" and "LE" where there is a LE art package on the same exact layout is fine, but there is no way new pinball companies can survive making machines exactly to each buyer's preference. They need to build machines in the two configurations until the LEs sell out, then just the Standard configuration.

The allure of the "$500 mod" is not taking into account all the effort it takes to facilitate and support that mod. Saving a few dollars here and there on a retail price creates an accounting and logistics nightmare down the line, as well.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#529 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Oh Pinside, someone shows their game and all everyone can do is ask for changes.

Scott doesn't care what people have to say so why shit on the discussion that he's not even reading? You're really holier-than-thou sometimes, as well as a hypocrite.

Let people discuss it - it keeps them interested. If they like it they'll buy it regardless.

#530 6 years ago

#531 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Are Nixie tubes even associated with the 80's?

I think you mean the Dixie Chicks, I believe they started in 1989...

Brad

dixie_chicks_TA.jpgdixie_chicks_TA.jpg

#532 6 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Cutting the backbox segments is what would save the most money.

I sure hope the segments AND the display sticks!!!!!

I want Scotts original vision WITHOUT cost cutting! Please just make the game and let people decide. I'll pay for both the displays and the segments. It is part of the game, the retro vibe, the awesomness of seeing scores at all times, the over done nature of it. I love it all.

#533 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I want Scotts original vision WITHOUT cost cutting! Please just make the game and let people decide. I'll pay for both the displays and the segments. It is part of the game, the retro vibe, the awesomness of seeing scores at all times, the over done nature of it. I love it all.

I agree 100%. His vision, his design, his music, his table. I want his table in my home, no other changes or suggestions or modifications. I regret not playing it more while I had the chance.

#534 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I 2nd that

#536 6 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

You can create a similar experience using laser cut plastics and led lighting. I love this!

Like breasts, I can appreciate these but prefer real ones.

#537 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Wow, this couldn't be truer. So many people think "it's a single-level game so it should be cheap" and others want to cut $100 parts for a $1000 discount. When this comes in at or above current Spooky pricing (just guessing) the bitching will be EPIC.

I loved what I saw and played, so I want it to be what Scott envisions, but I fear the game won't actually sell terribly well at whatever price point that comes in at. I'll buy one and I hope I'm wrong about the masses.

#538 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I think a cool cab could actually be a black cab with routed/ CNC of the logo on the side then paint the inset a neon green. Something about simple beauty with this game!

I'm probably the only one that was thinking it would be cool having some sort of spinning reactors on show under neon blue lighting through acrylic/plexiglass windows in the sides of the cabinet

#539 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Wow, this couldn't be truer. So many people think "it's a single-level game so it should be cheap" and others want to cut $100 parts for a $1000 discount. When this comes in at or above current Spooky pricing (just guessing) the bitching will be EPIC.
I loved what I saw and played, so I want it to be what Scott envisions, but I fear the game won't actually sell terribly well at whatever price point that comes in at. I'll buy one and I hope I'm wrong about the masses.

im guessing this is why they are doing the open edition in runs of 50, price will hit higher then alot of people expect so that might deter sales, could only sell the first 50 or need to do a couple runs. left it open to sell alot but not investing in a run of 300+ all at once to go unsold

#540 6 years ago

What is the purpose of the light field down towards the flippers?

Plexiglass + reactor would be bad ass.

#541 6 years ago

Looks awesome...not sure about rule depth, but very VERY cool. Wish Scott and Spooky the best. I may be a buyer at the right price eventually.

#542 6 years ago

$8999?

#544 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I think it is great to focus on the designer's vision. Without a doubt. If you are designing a game to design a game, make the game you want to make. If you are making a game that you want to take to market, there are other things to consider. I am not talking sacrificing artist integrity or anything like that, but there are confines to work within if you hope to successfully take a product to market. Besides, limitations are good. I say all the time, "You cannot create art with unlimited resources." Budget and what the market will respond positively to are important factors to consider.

Look what happened with WOOLY. They made the game they wanted to make. Many people said they loved it and when it came down to time to put up the money to buy, there were not enough buyers comfortable with the price to justify the endeavor. I don't know for certain if it was the intention from the get go to make a game to sell. I would imagine probably not. But if they were, instead, building WOOLY to produce and to sell, there may have been changes made to the design well before any of us experienced it that would have made it more affordable without making it any less awesome.

These are all discussions that Scott and Charlie will be having and there really isn't anything that any of us are going to say that will effect that. I only make the comments I do to try and pass along a little of what I have learned from the pinball business side of things. SO many people love to spout off "OMG!!! If you just did X, Y and Z you could sell a bazillion for $8000/$7000/$6000/$5000/$4000." Each time I read posts like that, I start to reply "BASED ON WHAT REAL WORLD DATA/EXPERIENCE/INSIGHT???" But then I stop and I remember that debates like that do little good in a forum like this. Instead, I just try to pass along little bits of info when appropriate and hope for the best for everyone who takes a run at making pinball.

More pinball is good for us all.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#545 6 years ago

I believe the target price will be 5995

#546 6 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

I believe the target price will be 5995

It's not even good to speculate at this point

#547 6 years ago

I believe that when the hurting and the pain has gone
We will be strong, Oh yes we will be strong

#548 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I'd say more of a proof of concept than a prototype. There are many aspects of what he has done that will likely have to change before the game goes into production. I would expect it will be more than a few months before we see a prototype that is more representative of what the production game will look like. Not saying it is going to be radically different, but this was a one off with no original intent to take it to production, so it was not engineered with that in mind. Add to that Scott has a full time job.
I have no inside info, but I'd imagine that TA would come after Alice cooper and whatever Ben is cooking up.

You're a smart man Josh.
Terry.

#549 6 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

All kidding aside..I am interested in it having a shaker motor too,for when you destroy a reactor.
-Mike

Very likely an aftermarket item.
Terry.

#550 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

The only suggestion I have is;
Somebody suck this man's dick

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Wanted
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods
Other
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals
Decals
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 20.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 7,250 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 145.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-annihilation-production/page/11?hl=sulakd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.