Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 158 votes
    14%
  • No 220 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 326 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 64 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 45 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 36 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1151 votes by 945 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,250 posts in this topic. You are on page 115 of 145.
#5701 6 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

I played a TNA at the weekend and enjoyed it immensely. However one criticism I have is the quality of the LCD screen. I don't know if this TNA had a faulty panel but the image looked washed out and also had awful viewing angles. I'm 6'3" and if I crouched down to the height of a 12 year old the image improved a lot. The table was next to a Heighway Pinball Alien and the LCD in the backbox of theat looks so much better with even viewing angles and strong contrast and colours.
Before anyone says "The image is supposed to be degraded and old and 80s" I do understand this but the panel looked horribly unsaturated and the fact that it looked different from other angles suggest to me its a hardware issue.
Is this a general issue or possibly a defective panel or installation? Maybe caused by UK power supply?
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/247403856
This is the actual machine in action and as you can see it being streamed the direct video feed looks great, low res but strong colours and saturation. In real life the screen looks much worse.

its my machine its not a UK power supply issue as all LCD's runs on DC. Its just not a great LCD panel, lower quality LCD panels have limited viewing angles, at my height it looks fine I agree with you though if you look from a lower angle it is better, If Spooky titled the screen a touch upwards it would make a big difference, but remember the screen wasn't going to be in the game - its kind of an after thought (read Scott's blog). I'll have a go at the settings and see if I can make it bigger for freaky giants

Neil (a twelve year old )

#5702 6 years ago

I'm only 5'5" and I don't have a problem in the world about it

#5703 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I even considered modifying the mounting screws using nylon bushings to tilt the top of the display back into the head and provide a better viewing angle from the players perspective (similar to the angle Stern uses on theirs). You'd also have to fashion something to cover the gap that would be created between the mounting board and the edges of the monitor if you did that.

I went so far as to create a bracket with a baffle around the edges of the screen. While it helped the contrast, it looked kinda hokey, and the top edge of the display was blocked by the top edge of the cutout, dependent on the player's height. To do it right, I think a completely new speaker panel would be needed.

#5704 6 years ago

Tna 417 ordered

#5705 6 years ago

417 on 4/17!

#5706 6 years ago

Who’s gonna get 420 on 4/20?

774912DF-1701-4568-8055-93C61E329414 (resized).jpeg774912DF-1701-4568-8055-93C61E329414 (resized).jpeg

#5707 6 years ago

Some sort of divine intervention with the order numbers & dates going on here. Is TNA signaling the rapture!?

#5708 6 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

I played a TNA at the weekend and enjoyed it immensely. However one criticism I have is the quality of the LCD screen. I don't know if this TNA had a faulty panel but the image looked washed out and also had awful viewing angles. I'm 6'3" and if I crouched down to the height of a 12 year old the image improved a lot. The table was next to a Heighway Pinball Alien and the LCD in the backbox of theat looks so much better with even viewing angles and strong contrast and colours.
Before anyone says "The image is supposed to be degraded and old and 80s" I do understand this but the panel looked horribly unsaturated and the fact that it looked different from other angles suggest to me its a hardware issue.
Is this a general issue or possibly a defective panel or installation? Maybe caused by UK power supply?
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/247403856
This is the actual machine in action and as you can see it being streamed the direct video feed looks great, low res but strong colours and saturation. In real life the screen looks much worse.

It's because it's a pretty cheap TN panel. All TN panels have poor viewing angles and significant gamma shift. The latter, particularly on the vertical plane. Cheap ones more so.

Switching to even a very cheap IPS unit will improve viewing angles a lot and reduce gamma shift.

If you care about image quality, it would be a cheap and cost effective upgrade.

#5709 6 years ago

Just gotta hold on a little longer.

#5710 6 years ago

How do you guys even get a chance to look at the LCD screen while playing TNA? I can honestly say I have no idea what’s happening on the lcd whilst playing.

#5711 6 years ago

TNA is officially on location at The Sanctum. It went through a busy rigorous testing party at my house last week when it showed up and brought to The Sanctum the next day. Anyone in the Greater CT/Northeast area come on by and give it a whirl. It won’t be leaving here for a very long long time.

#5712 6 years ago

SpookyCharlie just posted on facebook that speaker kits are available!

#5713 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

How do you guys even get a chance to look at the LCD screen while playing TNA? I can honestly say I have no idea what’s happening on the lcd whilst playing.

exactly!

#5714 6 years ago

Just added to KT's insanity and sent my request for speaker lights

#5715 6 years ago

Anybody get their notification this week?

#5716 6 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

Just added to KT's insanity and sent my request for speaker lights

Same, I was also told I should be receiving my invoice soon... sexy time!

#5717 6 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Anybody get their notification this week?

Yes, got notice from Kayte a few hours ago. Game #132. I've order mirror blades, shaker motor, knocker and the speaker kit, in a margarine box.
Invoice to follow soon.

#5718 6 years ago

I wonder if Pinball Life will carry the speaker lights? I'd like to order the shaker at some point, be handy to get them shipped together.

#5719 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I wonder if Pinball Life will carry the speaker lights? I'd like to order the shaker at some point, be handy to get them shipped together.

No shaker in your game.
You need to get on top of that one.
I couldn't imagine playing it without one.

#5720 6 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

No shaker in your game.
You need to get on top of that one.
I couldn't imagine playing it without one.

I originally did not put a shaker in the game (whitewood), then I did (prototype), and now I cannot play it without. True story.
--Scott

#5721 6 years ago

The rumble while you try to destroy the reactors is wonderful. On the pin I get to play you can't properly cradle up because the ball will wiggle around the whole time. Really one of the best uses of shaker of any game.

Good stuff Scott.

Patiently waiting. Mine will be home this summer.

#5722 6 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

I originally did not put a shaker in the game (whitewood), then I did (prototype), and now I cannot play it without. True story.
--Scott

My TNA is on the second floor, and the house pretty much shakes when I blow up a reactor.

#5723 6 years ago

--Scott

True story, I asked Scott what to order with my game and he told me to just get the plastic protectors.

#5724 6 years ago

This is making me glad mine is getting close to getting on the line.

Add lighted speakers during production...... check!

#5725 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

True story, I asked Scott what to order with my game and he told me to just get the plastic protectors.

Easy install. Sorry man. Maybe I did not love the shaker as much as I do now back then.

Get the real knocker too!

#5726 6 years ago

Easy install. Sorry man. Maybe I did not love the shaker as much as I do now back then.
Get the real knocker too!

Real knockers are always preferred amongst gentlemen

#5727 6 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Unless the knockers are old and tired then I would prefer the overhauled version.

#5728 6 years ago

What’s the consensous on the “butter cabinet” is it worth the extra $999?

#5729 6 years ago

^^^^^Not if it is rent/food money.^^^^^
However if you have an extra grand lying around this is an excellent way to make it disappear.

#5731 6 years ago
Quoted from Tkaye:

What’s the consensous on the “butter cabinet” is it worth the extra $999?

The grandkids don't know the difference, but I do.

IMG_0627 (resized).JPGIMG_0627 (resized).JPG

#5732 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

The grandkids don't know the difference, but I do.

Love the change machine! How much do you charge the grandkids per game?

#5733 6 years ago
Quoted from davijc02:

Unless the knockers are old and tired then I would prefer the overhauled version.

Quoted from Roostking:

I do love a good knockers joke..

#5734 6 years ago

Game #153 here.

I am interested in adding the speaker kit to my build. Think I should I contact Kayte now, or just wait until she emails me about paying? Should be coming up pretty soon, I hope.

#5735 6 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

Game #153 here.
I am interested in adding the speaker kit to my build. Think I should I contact Kayte now, or just wait until she emails me about paying? Should be coming up pretty soon, I hope.

I'm not sure how many kits they have parts for, I would e-mail her sooner rather than later.

#5736 6 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

The tilt responds a little differently than your standard WPC game, almost delayed a bit, and I'm not sure about how the debounce is setup. A few TILTS have caught me off guard that I probably deserved about 15 seconds earlier.

I spent some time trying to make mine act a bit more "normal". There are two software settings that you can use to tweak it. One is "Sensitivity", which I believe is the amount of time that the plumb bob has to stay in contact with the ring to register a switch closure. The other is "Settle Time", which seems to be the amount of time that switch closures are ignored after you've been given a warning.

Since the Settle Time is set to 2500 by default, it takes a minimum of 5 seconds for a big move to cause a tilt, assuming you didn't already have a warning. On WPC games, this equivalent of Settle Time is more like 800 ms, based on my measurements.

So, I tried setting my Settle Time to 1000 ms on TNA, and it became obvious why it was set so high. I was getting tilt-throughs pretty frequently, even on the v1.2.0 code. I watched the tilt bob, and it continues moving a LONG time. It also has an odd habit of missing the ring on a few (or many) swings, then finally coming into contact with the ring again. I believe the misses allow the game software to switch to the next player, then new swings that actually do make contact cause the tilt-through. I do not think this is a software bug, but I'm also not sure how WPC games do so much better at preventing this. This continued swinging can also cause that delayed tilt you mentioned.

I've been experimenting with ways to dampen the swinging in hopes of finding one that doesn't prevent legitimate tilts. I used a piece of foam stuck in the hole where the tilt bob hangs, and that does cause the bob to slow it's swinging nicely, but it also allows huge moves with only two warnings.

The other problem I've run into is that some switch closures just aren't registering, even if I set "Sensitivity" to 0. I can flick the tilt bob by hand, hear it bounce off the ring multiple times, and sometimes, I don't even get a warning from this. I'm not sure if the electrical contact of the tilt bob is inconsistent or if the software is somehow missing these. If I can stay motivated long enough, I plan to hook up an oscilloscope to see if it can see switch closures when this happens.

#5737 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I spent some time trying to make mine act a bit more "normal"...

Herg, you are the man! Keep us posted on what you find out.

#5738 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I spent some time trying to make mine act a bit more "normal". There are two software settings that you can use to tweak it. One is "Sensitivity", which I believe is the amount of time that the plumb bob has to stay in contact with the ring to register a switch closure. The other is "Settle Time", which seems to be the amount of time that switch closures are ignored after you've been given a warning.
Since the Settle Time is set to 2500 by default, it takes a minimum of 5 seconds for a big move to cause a tilt, assuming you didn't already have a warning. On WPC games, this equivalent of Settle Time is more like 800 ms, based on my measurements.
So, I tried setting my Settle Time to 1000 ms on TNA, and it became obvious why it was set so high. I was getting tilt-throughs pretty frequently, even on the v1.2.0 code. I watched the tilt bob, and it continues moving a LONG time. It also has an odd habit of missing the ring on a few (or many) swings, then finally coming into contact with the ring again. I believe the misses allow the game software to switch to the next player, then new swings that actually do make contact cause the tilt-through. I do not think this is a software bug, but I'm also not sure how WPC games do so much better at preventing this. This continued swinging can also cause that delayed tilt you mentioned.
I've been experimenting with ways to dampen the swinging in hopes of finding one that doesn't prevent legitimate tilts. I used a piece of foam stuck in the hole where the tilt bob hangs, and that does cause the bob to slow it's swinging nicely, but it also allows huge moves with only two warnings.
The other problem I've run into is that some switch closures just are registering, even if I set "Sensitivity" to 0. I can flick the tilt bob by hand, hear it bounce off the ring multiple times, and sometimes, I don't even get a warning from this. I'm not sure if the electrical contact of the tilt bob is inconsistent or if the software is somehow missing these. If I can stay motivated long enough, I plan to hook up an oscilloscope to see if it can see switch closures when this happens.

I have found 1500ms to be the best debounce. Worth mention that Ben Heck and I actually determined 1200 to be the typical debounce in B/W games. I also notice that IRMN is set to 1000ms as default.

I have found that a medium set plumb bob position with 1500ms to be about perfect on TNA. You can get away with 1 big move that results in a double danger. I believe Scott will be tweaking future code to ensure that tilts can still happen during bonus count up and then tilt debounce ramps up as soon as it flips to next player to help reduce dangers on next player form a big move during draining by previous player.

#5739 6 years ago

I’m surprised how long tilt bobs have stayed around. I would like to see a manufacturer use a digital sensor for this. It would likely be more consistent and more “fair”.

Interestingly, the p3-roc has a 3 axis accelerometer. It would be cool if Scott could combine that with the physical tilt bob to get more accurate readings.

#5740 6 years ago

Multiple types of digital sensors have been used in virtual cabs and none have ever really worked as well as a traditional tilt bob.

#5741 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinbaltz:

I’m surprised how long tilt bobs have stayed around. I would like to see a manufacturer use a digital sensor for this. It would likely be more consistent and more “fair”.
Interestingly, the p3-roc has a 3 axis accelerometer. It would be cool if Scott could combine that with the physical tilt bob to get more accurate readings.

I have thought about playing around with this, but just not have had time yet. Not sure why the tilt bobs on these games move so much. The earplug mod worked really well for my production machine though.

#5742 6 years ago

Game #153 here.

I'm way behind you and I just emailed her and she wrote back in 5 minutes that they would add it to my build. I would do it now so you dont get delayed.

#5743 6 years ago

picture please

#5744 6 years ago

The earplug mod worked really well for my production machine though.

I'll be sure to give this a try. Maybe the foam I used was just too dense, or maybe my bob was just not adjusted right. With the foam, I got a max of two warnings, no matter how hard I pushed. If I then tried to move the bob up tighter, the shaker was setting it off.

#5745 6 years ago

Game #153 here.

#174 here, I emailed her last night and she responded immediately to confirm my add on. Probably best to let them know sooner rather than later in case they order parts in batches.

#5746 6 years ago

On slowing tilt bobs down-
I have flipped the tilt bob upside down on some of my machines. You have to remove the ring. Slide the tilt bob on (cone pointing down) then reattach the ring.
It recovers faster(stops moving.) The weight has less leverage this way.
It doesn’t work on all machines, some don’t have the room, not sure about TNA.

#5747 6 years ago

I did this on my TNA on location to help with the Ghost Warnings. Don't have any scientific measurements to prove that it helped but it seemed to.

#5748 6 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

I'm way behind you and I just emailed her and she wrote back in 5 minutes that they would add it to my build. I would do it now so you dont get delayed.

What was the price for the speaker kits?

#5749 6 years ago

Is calling KT the only way to get the speaker kit? I already have my game and would prefer to order online and not bother them, but I couldn't find it listed at either Spooky or Pinball Life.

#5750 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Is calling KT the only way to get the speaker kit? I already have my game and would prefer to order online and not bother them, but I couldn't find it listed at either Spooky or Pinball Life.

email me [email protected]

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Machine - For Sale
Valley Center, KS
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 7,250 posts in this topic. You are on page 115 of 145.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-annihilation-production/page/115 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.