Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 174 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 158 votes
    14%
  • No 220 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 326 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 64 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 45 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 36 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1151 votes by 945 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,250 posts in this topic. You are on page 108 of 145.
#5351 6 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Every machine is for sale if you throw enough money at it. Heck, if you threw enough money at me, I would sell my prototype and whitewood. If you want to the game quickly, you can put out a WTB ad and see if anyone wants to sell.
--Scott

Thanks Scott. Nice problem for you guys to have. . You make the best game out, and now how to make enough!

Well you have my attention. If there is a FastPass to a production machine.

I guess this is the nice part of having a CE for a high demand machine. Basically gives us a way to buy priority status. Right now I have no options to throw money at Spooky.

#5352 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

There is no doubt that having long lead times hurts the bottom line....I get organic growth, and thats great on their end. Their big mistake IMHO is the the $1K deposit....they should make it $250 and fully refundable. I guarantee their backlog would increase, and most consumers could care less about a $250 deposit, and the long lead time....

Spooky doesn't need a backlog of wishy-washy orders or speculators. They need stability. Charlie knows what he is doing.

#5353 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

As someone who has started, and sold many companies from the ground up it makes all the sense in the world....I never said I wanted shorter lead times nor would the smaller deposit enable that (clearly it would not). What I said was their lead times are 6 + months, and $1K deposit comes with a much higher risk with a small start up company...losing potential customers at this stage of a company is never a good idea.

Not really true at all. Spooky is making games for the most part in limited runs with TNA being the exception. They do not need a giant customer base as they will not be able to get the games made within anything that resembled a reasonable time if they just opened the flood gates. It's called controlled growth and many companies have went under because they couldn't understand it or management it.

Why don't we all let Charlie run his company how he sees is best for himself and his family.

#5354 6 years ago

Here's what is different between Spooky and other "boutique" pinball manufacturers. They are established. To me, there is no question as to whether or not I will get my copy, it's a matter of when. No, they're not Stern, or JJP. No they're not Dutch, or Heighway. And that's a good thing! They are Spooky LLC. They are small, but they are making machines! They are not super high end JJP. They are not cookie-cutter Stern. They are not "take my money and leave me guessing" Dutch or Heighway. They are "put a non-refundable deposit down, and you will get your machine" Spooky.

And of course, Scott Danesi is awesome!

#5355 6 years ago

Every machine is for sale if you throw enough money at it. Heck, if you threw enough money at me, I would sell my prototype and whitewood. If you want to the game quickly, you can put out a WTB ad and see if anyone wants to sell.
--Scott

I seriously thought about having Charlie make mine a white wood. I could have Jay (I think you said it was him) draw the island and mark all the inserts. Then I saw the artwork and changed my mind.

#5356 6 years ago

I too would’ve been happy with receiving a whitewood machine. It was ALWAYS about the gameplay/music with TNA.
Getting all the retro-futuristic decor and polish was just an added bonus.

Even after playing the whitewood again one year later at TPF 18’, it still kicks ass in it’s raw state!

#5357 6 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

I too would’ve been happy with receiving a whitewood machine. It was ALWAYS about the gameplay/music with TNA.
Getting all the retro-futuristic decor and polish was just an added bonus.
Even after playing the whitewood again one year later at TPF 18’, it still kicks ass!

Scott had me at whitewood.<3

#5358 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

As someone who has started, and sold many companies from the ground up

But have you started a pinball company? No? Then STFU and let Charlie run it the way he wants.

BTW, I should be getting mine in May. If anyone wants it, it's theirs for $10k. I'll go to the back of the line for that. Better hit me up soon because that money needs to be free and clear in my account before I tell them where to ship the pin.

#5359 6 years ago

i waited a year and a half for MMR. Was told the delay was because of black trim. Then some guy on here was like "hey guyz, just got my black trim MMR i ordered 2 weeks ago, woohoo!" and that was the last straw. i was done waiting. switched to a WOZ RR and it was on my doorstep within 3 days of ordering.

just how it goes sometimes i guess. MMR is a great game, but ultimately i'm super glad i switched.

#5360 6 years ago

Every machine is for sale if you throw enough money at it.

Quoted from BillySastard:

BTW, I should be getting mine in May. If anyone wants it, it's theirs for $10k.

For $10k, you can have the one out of my basement tonight. I'll take the profit and get right back in line.

#5361 6 years ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

yes it’s going to be a long wait but it’s not like playing TNA is the only thing I can think about doing until then!

SPEAK FOR YOURSELF!!!

#5362 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

For $10k, you can have the one out of my basement tonight. I'll take the profit and get right back in line.

Thinking about it.

Would $8500 motivate you to ship it to NorCal?

#5363 6 years ago

I’m getting shaker, knocker, mirror blades and plastic protectors.
Definitely worth the wait for me. It’s the only NIB game I really want to spend the money one for now. Fair price for a game shipping with good code.

#5364 6 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I’m getting shaker, knocker, mirror blades and plastic protectors.
Definitely worth the wait for me. It’s the only NIB game I really want to spend the money one for now. Fair price for a game shipping with good code.

Are you still getting the butter cab too?

#5365 6 years ago
Quoted from venom112:

Was going to buy one of these but they are now quoting new buyers a fall time frame. I think slow production is going to hurt spooky in the long run as there will be probably 4 new pins out or announced by then. It’s too bad there is such a long turn around

how can it hurt them if they can't make them?!

#5366 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I just checked my records because I was curious, with all these OMG I CAN'T WAIT posts.
I reserved my TNA spot on July 28th 2017, $1000 down.
I paid in full February 8th 2018.
So even though I got in early I waited the same 6 months people are talking about. You don't want to do it? Don't. But those of us who have the game did it, so don't look for a lot of sympathy.

We all had to wait that is just part of the process. I put my $1000 down back in early August 2017 and didn’t get it until the first week of March 2018. Put the money down now and you will not regret it. Best NIB pinball machine I have ever bought.

#5367 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Their big mistake IMHO is the the $1K deposit....they should make it $250 and fully refundable.

So we buy enough product to build 100 (or more) games because we have orders, then some shiny new object comes along and we have thousands invested in games that you changed your mind on and backed out of? No faster way to go out of business than that.

We've stiffed exactly zero people and that's not about to change. Once we get to a level of security that we can REDUCE the initial payment (not a deposit), I will be thrilled to do that. Getting closer every day. We don't have the capitol that the bigger companies have behind them... never have. Our investors are our customers.

If we could build 50 games a week we'd sell 1,000 of these fast. We can't... and I have zero desire to ramp Spooky to that level. Once you get there, you have to feed that monster company forever. Your suppliers do too... not to mention 100 other things that have to fall into place.

What we do isn't perfect, but it's secure and much lower risk. Anyone who wants to visit our shop is welcome to do so... ANYTIME! We are honest, up front, and bust our collective a**es.

Eventually we'll catch up to demand and TnA waits will be much smaller. A hit game on our hands is a GREAT problem to have.

Proud of our company and team.

#5368 6 years ago

I really admire your desire to have the company sized just right!

too much too fast can be very bad and your level headed approach to making a fair business without greed is very refreshing and inspirational even. It is part of what makes it so easy for me to want to support the company and the whole spooky team (granted it does not hurt that you are building some fun games, making some awesome hires, and have upped the quality and continue to do so)

#5369 6 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

So we buy enough product to build 100 (or more) games because we have orders, then some shiny new object comes along and we have thousands invested in games that you changed your mind on and backed out of? No faster way to go out of business than that.
We've stiffed exactly zero people and that's not about to change. Once we get to a level of security that we can REDUCE the initial payment (not a deposit), I will be thrilled to do that. Getting closer every day. We don't have the capitol that the bigger companies have behind them... never have. Our investors are our customers.
If we could build 50 games a week we'd sell 1,000 of these fast. We can't... and I have zero desire to ramp Spooky to that level. Once you get there, you have to feed that monster company forever. Your suppliers do too... not to mention 100 other things that have to fall into place.
What we do isn't perfect, but it's secure and much lower risk. Anyone who wants to visit our shop is welcome to do so... ANYTIME! We are honest, up front, and bust our collective a**es.
Eventually we'll catch up to demand and TnA waits will be much smaller. A hit game on our hands is a GREAT problem to have.
Proud of our company and team.

My apologies if you think I was questioning your company, moral, ethics, etc.....I was only saying as a start up company customer acquisition costs can be challenging, and never turning those customers away is important (in most cases)...I totally understand u want to stay small and manageable...I wish you nothing but success....

#5370 6 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

We've stiffed exactly zero people and that's not about to change.

Hold your horses there, big guy. You told me my game would be ready on a particular day and I could pick it up anytime. Me, Brian and Jesse were getting ready to do so. Then you decide to deliver it.

WTF!! I now believe nothing you tell me.

#5371 6 years ago

--Scott

Owning the prototype would be awesome! Do you update it to run new code? Is there still code for star rollovers?

8FCCCE5F-E38A-415E-8ADB-395707C25B1B (resized).jpeg8FCCCE5F-E38A-415E-8ADB-395707C25B1B (resized).jpeg

#5372 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Are you still getting the butter cab too?

Decided to pass on the butter for now.

#5373 6 years ago

I don't think Spooky should do anything different, but I can say with 100% certainty that I know of four orders that they haven't gotten for TNA because the people involved don't want to wait. Two operators and two collectors have directly told me. Instead the ops in question bought DI and TWD. All four are only interested if they can go down to their distributor and pick it up ASAP.

So it is absolutely true the build delay is costing sales. Now, it's better that Spooky build at the pace they prefer and get the games out instead of overtaxing their output ability, but I just wanted to set the record straight that it does in fact cost actual sales.

#5374 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I don't think Spooky should do anything different, but I can say with 100% certainty that I know of four orders that they haven't gotten for TNA because the people involved don't want to wait. Two operators and two collectors have directly told me. Instead the ops in question bought DI and TWD. All four are only interested if they can go down to their distributor and pick it up ASAP.
So it is absolutely true the build delay is costing sales. Now, it's better that Spooky build at the pace they prefer and get the games out instead of overtaxing their output ability, but I just wanted to set the record straight that it does in fact cost actual sales.

Maybe down the road they'll buy one when they ARE more readily available.

#5375 6 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Not me, but maybe someone.

I assume you're talking about the seller paying for and arranging shipping. When you figure the original price of the game, shipping, meeting the freight company, getting it to the gameroom, tweaking the game, getting the dimples just the way I like them, then having to accept a remote payment, prepare it for shipping, paying for shipping to you, meeting the freight company for shipping to you, buying another game, waiting for it, and repeating the whole new game thing; $8500 is not enough to cross my threshold.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5376 6 years ago

Here’s an option.....order in 6 months when they get caught up, and you might only need to wait 1 month, or you’ll be able to buy a used one.

The other alternative would be to buy a new release Stern game and then wait (pray) 12 months for code.

#5377 6 years ago

Spooky is the Dischord Records of pinball and that's why I love them so much. Truly DIY at its finest. Now hurry up and finish my TNA already

#5378 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

So it is absolutely true the build delay is costing sales.

guessing those operators will be kicking themselves in 6 months when they could have had a TNA out making bank and instead are selling off another turd that they bought and routed for 3 months before coins dropped off

Honestly, the spooky model works really nice for an OP. You get in early and it only costs 1k. Pay your balance when the game is ready and if you are doing this for business you can take an educated guess on if you make more from keeping the game out and earning or in some cases just sell it as is. Sounds like with the current demand... if an OP had one coming on the line next week, they could make 2k just by selling their spot in line.

I still would say that they should put the game out as it earns well and holds up even better. Great investment (and the only way pinball is ever really and investment is if you are operating it )

#5379 6 years ago

Don't tell SpookyCharlie but $9,500 cash and you can take TNA #7 from my basement in Ann Arbor. I'll get back in line.

#5380 6 years ago

I picked up my Woz, IM, Tron,AcDc Metallica, TWD 2-4 years after they were released. It didn’t bother me, the things that ****did**** bother me was buying XMLE and STLE and having them basically fubar for over a year plus.

OK they did play and shoot but the rules were not good enough and the point is somewhat left a bad taste in my mouth. Now those games I mentioned before TWD, Met, Woz etc, when I got them they were more complete.

I’d think twice before I buy any Stern or JJP game when they are first released, I’d rather wait 1-2 years to see how they turn out. I think both Woz and TWD were serious duds before they got great code working on them. Also Stern and JJP will make games for a while so no need to buy first out, look at BM66 fiasco.

Maybe Tron, IM and AcDc were good on release but certainly they got even better with code updates.

I’d recommend putting a deposit on TNA if you want one, if it’s like you need something sooner pick up IM or TWD (or something else) for $4500 sell when needed for TNA.

#5381 6 years ago

Nobody is buying TNA. There are too many pre-orders.

#5382 6 years ago

Spooky should release a Queue Jumper Edition. Plus $1000 and you’re on the next run.

Actually, those who are impatient should seriously enquire about butter cabinet since they’re made in batches.

#5383 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Spooky should release a Queue Jumper Edition. Plus $1000 and you’re on the next run.

Andrew? You’re back?

#5384 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Instead the ops in question bought DI and TWD.

Those are both great games. Although, I have heard DI is non-routable (except at a barcade) due to the number of places ball get stuck.

If they really wanted to be the first to route in their area, they should have ordered day 1 and they would have or be getting their machine soon. But if that doesn't make sense, routing a stern is a fine approach to their operation. Good for them. They can revisit that choice later. I guess I just don't see your point.

#5385 6 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

Those are both great games. Although, I have heard DI is non-routable (except at a barcade) due to the number of places ball get stuck.
If they really wanted to be the first to route in their area, they should have ordered day 1 and they would have or be getting their machine soon. But if that doesn't make sense, routing a stern is a fine approach to their operation. Good for them. They can revisit that choice later. I guess I just don't see your point.

One wire form area the ball gets stuck on ours. Other than that it never gets stuck. It’s under the ladies arm for the diverter. We’ve got it working fine on location

#5386 6 years ago

“Pinball is hard” ~Charlie

“Waiting for pinball is harder” ~Ryan

#5387 6 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Thinking about it.

I’m going to wait in line for my butter cabinet, fly up to Wisconsin and rent a car. Then go visit spooky pick up my tna game and drive it home. It’s about the experience. How many people get to see how this stuff is made or meet the people that make it? I here summer is great in Wisconsin too.

#5388 6 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Andrew? You’re back?

That name came straight to me too

#5389 6 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

I have heard DI is non-routable (except at a barcade) due to the number of places ball get stuck.

The one the op I know bought is doing fine on location. In fact, he bought a DILE even though it cost $1K more because he figured he'd make back that $1K while waiting for Standards to be run (2 month lead time back then).

Quoted from imharrow:

If they really wanted to be the first to route in their area, they should have ordered day 1 and they would have or be getting their machine soon.

You're not thinking like an op. That $1K deposit isn't making them money while it's locked up for 6 months, while that $1K can go towards a Stern they can have on the back of their truck same day and out earning the next.

As for just buying one in 9 months or whatever, they only buy so many games a year, not X+1 if and when TNA is available. Just like Stern isn't making 100% of all games anymore - although the hobby has grown, there's still only so many dollars out there to go around.

I'm just pointing out there is real opportunity lost, I don't actually think Spooky is doing anything wrong - they have a certain production capacity that works for them and will help long term, but it does have a sales cost right now is all.

#5390 6 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

Then go visit spooky pick up my tna game and drive it home.
I here summer is great in Wisconsin too.

Wait... how did they guarantee you that you're machine would be ready during that two week period?

#5391 6 years ago

I was wondering what all the activity on this thread was. More wait whining. Number 14 is available for $9500. Come get it.

#5392 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I'm just pointing out there is real opportunity lost, I don't actually think Spooky is doing anything wrong - they have a certain production capacity that works for them and will help long term, but it does have a sales cost right now is all.

So a few impulsive buyers can't have them right away. Did Spooky really lose out on $25k because they didn't have games ready to ship to those people the instant they wanted them? How does that compare with the $2M+ they stand to make from people who are willing to wait in line? (estimating $6250 per game and 350 sold so far)

As another poster said, when Spooky has a few spare TNA's laying around, impulse buyers will be able to get their fix. Until then, they wait on line or pony up some extra $$ to get it sooner (if they can find someone who'll take them up on their offer).

There's nothing else on the market like this game. It's selling very well on its own merits, and a few impatient would-have-been-buyers will eventually come around when they realize what they're missing out on. If they don't, it's not Spooky who missed the boat. Quality takes time. Spooky is doing their best to make a quality product for our money. I personally think we have gotten too expectant of instant (or near-instant) gratification. I am plenty happy to wait for my TNA. It's gonna be my first NIB game! The more refinements and developments I've seen happening along the way are just making the wait more exciting. I will have the game eventually, and I'm ok with that.

I applause Spooky for coming this far and not compromising on quality or customer service. As a fellow small-business owner i take great pride in supporting Spooky and respect their commitment to quality. I can't take on every job I'm offered either, but i don't count that as a loss.

#5393 6 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

I was wondering what all the activity on this thread was. More wait whining. Number 14 is available for $9500. Come get it.

Yeah man. If my TnA was in the USA instead of some ship somewhere, I’d be taking the cash and getting back in line.

Free money = GOOD

Plenty of other pins to play in the meantime.

rd

#5394 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yeah man. If my TnA was in the USA instead of some ship somewhere, I’d be taking the cash and getting back in line.
Free money = GOOD
rd

I agree. Luci just showed up this week and I'm not rich. I can wait for free money just like i wait for some games for show up used for a lower price. Playing the game is the same experience, you just have it at a different time.

#5395 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Free money = GOOD
rd

With all due respect RD, you do have 124 other games to play in the meantime. I think one of the guys complaining had 1.

#5396 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

With all due respect RD, you do have 124 other games to play in the meantime. I think one of the guys complaining had 1.

True.

But the $3500 profit can buy one/two other games.

It’s not like the USA has no used pinball machines for sale .... that’s why I’ve taken 50 of them in the last few years lol

As an example, I got my really nice Centaur out of Philly for $3300 USD.

$3500 profit = FREE CENTAUR + $200 of In-and-out burgers = good.

rd

#5397 6 years ago

Yeah ,if I sold mine I would get right back in line to buy another . But I am not selling mine .

#5398 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

True.
But the $3500 profit can buy one/two other games.
It’s not like the USA has no used pinball machines for sale .... that’s why I’ve taken 50 of them in the last few years lol
As an example, I got my really nice Centaur out of Philly for $3300 USD.
$3500 profit = FREE CENTAUR + $200 of In-and-out burgers = good.
rd

You ate $200 of in&out burgers!?!? I’m impressed

#5399 6 years ago

Guess we should’ve been calling him RotunDave for that trip...

#5400 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

You ate $200 of in&out burgers!?!? I’m impressed

I just want the Centaur

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Jamestown, NC
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Wanted
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods
Other
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals
Decals
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 20.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 7,250 posts in this topic. You are on page 108 of 145.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-annihilation-production/page/108?hl=sulakd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.