Topic Stats

• 7,250 posts
  • 628 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 39 days ago by jaybeedee
  • Topic is favorited by 183 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you buy this if Spooky Pinball built it? How much would you be willing to pay?”

• Yes 156 votes
    14%
  • No 219 votes
    19%
  • Maybe 186 votes
    16%
  • $5500-5750 324 votes
    28%
  • $5751-6000 98 votes
    9%
  • $6001-6250 63 votes
    6%
  • $6251-6500 44 votes
    4%
  • $6501-6750 18 votes
    2%
  • $6751-7000 34 votes
    3%

(Multiple choice - 1142 votes by 940 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 842 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E67F88CC-A60F-4050-8535-9FE4AC10AF98 (resized).jpeg
BEA18764-7BFD-48AC-B8FC-DE42C34F8EDB (resized).jpeg
tnaupdate2 (resized).jpg
20190103_200657 (resized).jpg
F4744DB3-BE5D-46AF-948D-6BFF19B8CF6C (resized).jpeg
CodeUpdate1.3.0_7 (resized).png
IMG_20181121_122102 (resized).jpg
TNA2.jpg
TNA1.jpg
20181115_190843 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_20181112_184121_01 (resized).jpg
57108D5A-B33E-4BD1-8571-5BC7D16D3669 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1109 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 7250 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 145.
#451 2 years ago
Quoted from Rasavage:

but it sounds like the prototype is done but w/ perhaps early beta code.

I'd say more of a proof of concept than a prototype. There are many aspects of what he has done that will likely have to change before the game goes into production. I would expect it will be more than a few months before we see a prototype that is more representative of what the production game will look like. Not saying it is going to be radically different, but this was a one off with no original intent to take it to production, so it was not engineered with that in mind. Add to that Scott has a full time job.

I have no inside info, but I'd imagine that TA would come after Alice cooper and whatever Ben is cooking up.

#452 2 years ago

There's nothing wrong with offering feedback on this or any other game. It's a forum. Scott can make up his own mind of whether any of these ideas have any merit or not.

#453 2 years ago

I agree with all except could be run side by side with other games. They have a 3 year contract to build Alice Cooper.

TA plan is to build batches of 50. Game is not finished and therefore no completed BOM. There are reasonable goals set for price bit no one knows at this time. One possibility to make cost reasonable is to drop the individual displays. I prefer they stay but there is a lot going on and cuts may have to be made.

#454 2 years ago

Everyone should just relax a bit . Nothing wrong with posting suggestions here , but I do know that Scott is going to build the game he wants to build without outside influence . Scott is willing to let this game live or die based on creating the game to his vision of what he wants this game to be . Suggestions are fine , but keep in mind that Scott isn't listening .Nothing wrong with that either it is his game , and I hope that no one is offended by that either . Everyone will have have a chance to buy one of these , they will just have to decide if they like what Scott has done or not . As for price no one knows yet , Spooky still needs to assemble one and see how many hours goes into building one plus BOM . I am sure spooky will make an announcement when the final version of the game is ready and they have pricing figured out . Will it support a shaker ? Is a legit question . I don't know the answer .

#455 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

It won 1st place at MGC, and as far as I know is the first homebrew game to go into production.

I would argue AMH and RZ were both machines that more or less started as home brews and went into production, it also happened with Banzai Run.

Also, I want it with no backglass and sharpie on the playfield. It looks perfectly industrial like it is!

#456 2 years ago

"If I had asked my customers what they wanted me to build, they would have said a faster horse" - Henry Ford.

#457 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I'd say more of a proof of concept than a prototype. There are many aspects of what he has done that will likely have to change before the game goes into production. I would expect it will be more than a few months before we see a prototype that is more representative of what the production game will look like. Not saying it is going to be radically different, but this was a one off with no original intent to take it to production, so it was not engineered with that in mind. Add to that Scott has a full time job.
I have no inside info, but I'd imagine that TA would come after Alice cooper and whatever Ben is cooking up.

One thing's for sure; they gotta keep that awesome rosh Sharpie art. "Ball Saver" = classic

#458 2 years ago

I like the game as is. So cool and different! A future classic!! On list!!!!

#459 2 years ago

When people see the final reveal it's going to sell like crazy, you can quote me on that.

#460 2 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

There's nothing wrong with offering feedback on this or any other game. It's a forum. Scott can make up his own mind of whether any of these ideas have any merit or not.

$10K by Christmas.

Brad

#461 2 years ago

I didn't mean to sound brash.. I just know that people like to armchair quarterback a lot, and for some projects clearly they need help. I just don't imagine Scott making many changes, if any. I also don't want to see this get delayed, people want it now.

Quoted from benheck:

"If I had asked my customers what they wanted me to build, they would have said a faster horse" - Henry Ford.

I was just watching american pickers last night, and they brought up a fact that Dillinger wrote Ford a letter, thanking them for building a fast car so he could watch the other cars (police) fall behind you. I thought that was hilarious!
https://www.thehenryford.org/collections-and-research/digital-collections/artifact/33693/

#462 2 years ago

I like drop targets as much as the next person but they don't necessarily make it better. Stand ups are perfectly fine but this is coming from a Bally 6803 fan and a lot of those were built with stand ups.

Shaker is also blah in my opinion. If it's in there great, if it isn't great. I think some of us have forgotten this is supposed to be a throwback 80s style game.

The only addition I would suggest is maybe a headphone jack. Maybe some holograms and a disco ball too.

#463 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I was just watching american pickers last night, and they brought up a fact that Dillinger wrote Ford a letter, thanking them for building a fast car so he could watch the other cars (police) fall behind you. I thought that was hilarious!

Fake, wasn't his handwriting.

About a month later Clyde Barrow sent a similar letter, though the writing on that one looked more like Bonnie Parker's writing.

LTG : )

#464 2 years ago

Let's see...

Game cabinet came from a Dolly Parton...

"T/A" / T&A... there's a good joke there somewhere.

But I did play the game at TPF, and it's tits

#465 2 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Mods should just ban anyone from this thread who suggest changes to Scott.

Yeah, let's even further perpetuate the screeching grind towards Pinside becoming "Fluffy Pinball Safety Forum" where nobody can have an opinion.

Ban yourself, grow the hell up, take some responsibility, and if you have a problem with people, then put them on ignore. DUH.

#466 2 years ago
Quoted from mof:

False.
1. Drops don't have to "stay down for a full reset" if you put a solenoid behind each one. See Barracora, Defender. Raise them when you choose.
2. You can have standups behind drops.
-mof

In MOF we trust

#467 2 years ago
Quoted from mof:

1. Drops don't have to "stay down for a full reset" if you put a solenoid behind each one. See Barracora, Defender. Raise them when you choose.
2. You can have standups behind drops.
-mof

Eightball Champ.

#468 2 years ago

All kidding aside..I am interested in it having a shaker motor too,for when you destroy a reactor.
-Mike

#469 2 years ago

"In Scott we Trust!"

#470 2 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I remember hearing that when you win, the flippers go dead and the ball drains. It's a one-way mission if you succeed, you blow yourself up with all the reactors.
Seems like a fun concept!

Wow, such an awesome idea. The best players will know how to press their scores up as high as possible before they kill the final reactor. Sort of like the challenge of the Donkey Kong kill screen.

#471 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I heard that is also technically would have won best in show at TPF but they excluded it since their rule is that is "must be a production based game" which it had not been announced it was going into produciton at that point.

Not true.
Star trek: mirror universe was best in show in 2014. Not production.
I think it must be "complete" which TA is not.

#472 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Wow, such an awesome idea. The best players will know how to press their scores up as high as possible before they kill the final reactor. Sort of like the challenge of the Donkey Kong kill screen.

Wouldn't the best players just NOT destroy the final reactor then?

#473 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Wouldn't the best players just NOT destroy the final reactor then?

Isn't the final kill worth 9x? Player would have risk-reward of trying to TOTAN/woodchop the last reactor vs. collecting that final 9x jackpot. I'd think the scoring can be arranged to make the former decision non-lucrative. Also possible to add a special high score board just for those who finish the job and totally annihilate...

#474 2 years ago

Pretty sure that's accurate, John. It's a rule I can understand and have maaaaybe about 5% disagreement with. "Complete" is kind of in the eye of the beholder ESPECIALLY when it comes to rules and code. If the thing is physically complete, has art and a final layout, and a fun ruleset in place, I don't think there's any reason to hold it back.

Buffy, for example, looked great, interesting layout, but I felt the shots were TERRIBLE, or the way it was sitting was terrible, and I played both of them. No clear goals in the code IMO, shots frequently returned STDM on perfectly made shots....just not even fun to play for me (Sorry if you post here, whoever is responsible for that thing..it just didn't vibe with me, which should be fine. I heard a TON of praise for it at the show, which is the only reason I played it in the first place...I know absolutely NOTHING about the show!) I'm sure it was in contention for BiS, but if I was a judge, it never would have won for those reasons. Which is probably why I'll never be a judge...among a million other reasons. ;P

#475 2 years ago

I think Buffy won because it looks polished and has a complete-ish rule set.
Given it's a highly modified SOF; you may just be critical of it because of the base game.

Please don't take my comments to mean that TA deserved the critisim. It's a great game from a music/layout perspective. It definitely felt less complete only because it lacked any static art. That's probably why the judges didn't award it best of show. My assumption is they thought it would be back at a better state next year. Which sounds like that may be possible.

I don't remember any "production" machine winning best of show; unless it is modified from stock. So; not sure what TA will be in future years.

#476 2 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

...Game is not finished and therefore no completed BOM. There are reasonable goals set for price bit no one knows at this time. One possibility to make cost reasonable is to drop the individual displays. I prefer they stay but there is a lot going on and cuts may have to be made.

If they have to drop anything in the backbox for cost it should be the LCD display. Keep the individual score displays, maybe make them alpha-numeric so you can do more with them, maybe add another larger one at the bottom center (maybe multi-row even) for messages and status.

Way more retro-cool than a big dumb LCD that only shows a few video clippy things anyway. This simpler game doesn't need an LCD to show all the stats and movies, etc.

#477 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

If they have to drop anything in the backbox for cost it should be the LCD display. Keep the individual score displays, maybe make them alpha-numeric so you can do more with them, maybe add another larger one at the bottom center (maybe multi-row even) for messages and status.
Way more retro-cool than a big dumb LCD that only shows a few video clippy things anyway. This simpler game doesn't need an LCD to show all the stats and movies, etc.

Fat chance that will happen!

#478 2 years ago

The only suggestion I have is;
Somebody suck this man's dick

#479 2 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

The only suggestion I have is;
Somebody suck this man's dick

Get to it. Wear the green man-kini too.

#480 2 years ago

Sorry you didn't get Buffy. Seems It doesn't resonate with a lot of people for some reason or another. There is a lot of code in there. It's not easy for someone to learn a game like Buffy in that setting, no doubt. At TPF I saw a few guys hopping on one of the machines repeatedly to explore the rules, which makes me happy.

Anyway, it's not a competition in our point of view. Everyone in the P-ROC custom area is on the same team. I built the SkeletonGame framework leveraging the code I built Buffy on. Scott uses SkeletonGame and gives back to that codebase. We all use Matt's amazing metal work in some way or another.

Let's kill this notion that there's beef that TA was robbed. No one cares about Buffy. In many ways the best custom in show award is really a second place award to Scott's very well deserved "most likely to actually be built by Spooky pinball". Scott rules and we are a happy family.

Quoted from Frax:

Pretty sure that's accurate, John. It's a rule I can understand and have maaaaybe about 5% disagreement with. "Complete" is kind of in the eye of the beholder ESPECIALLY when it comes to rules and code. If the thing is physically complete, has art and a final layout, and a fun ruleset in place, I don't think there's any reason to hold it back.
Buffy, for example, looked great, interesting layout, but I felt the shots were TERRIBLE, or the way it was sitting was terrible, and I played both of them. No clear goals in the code IMO, shots frequently returned STDM on perfectly made shots....just not even fun to play for me (Sorry if you post here, whoever is responsible for that thing..it just didn't vibe with me, which should be fine. I heard a TON of praise for it at the show, which is the only reason I played it in the first place...I know absolutely NOTHING about the show!) I'm sure it was in contention for BiS, but if I was a judge, it never would have won for those reasons. Which is probably why I'll never be a judge...among a million other reasons. ;P

#481 2 years ago

I really liked the sharpie playfield.

#482 2 years ago

That will be the SLE

#483 2 years ago

Yay P-Roc based custom builds

#484 2 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Let's kill this notion that there's beef that TA was robbed. No one cares about Buffy. In many ways the best custom in show award is really a second place award to Scott's very well deserved "most likely to actually be built by Spooky pinball". Scott rules and we are a happy family.

I care enough to ask some questions, because the presentation of the game is ridiculously good, and you're entirely right...I didn't really spend enough time to form a coherent opinion but damn...it bent me over BSD-style. PM sent!

#485 2 years ago

I thought Buffy played awesome. I didn't know half of what I was doing but I had no issues with good shots draining. That game has a ton to shoot at and played like butter in my opinion. I like Buffy and TA a lot. Enjoyed both more then any of the newly released games.

#486 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

If they have to drop anything in the backbox for cost it should be the LCD display. Keep the individual score displays, maybe make them alpha-numeric so you can do more with them

Nixie tubes would be the shiz.

#487 2 years ago
Quoted from Bonnevil69:

Yay P-Roc based custom builds

The only base that you should ever use to create your builds.

#488 2 years ago

Really excited for this one! After Dialed In was revealed I thought a lot about how cool it would've been if they had gone more in this direction as an original theme...kept it a disaster/save-the-city game of course, but as an 80s throwback with lots of synthwave, neon, and Bladerunner dystopia-futura...saving Neo Los Angeles or wherever from a nuclear attack.

So I'm glad that someone is doing a true throwback 80s sci-fi theme. From what I saw in Texas, and everything I've read/watched, there's a very fundamental understanding here around which boxes to tick in order to evoke that very specific 80s nostalgia.

#489 2 years ago
Quoted from racer_x:

Nixie tubes would be the shiz.

Difficult for someone to find enough Nixies to build production machines.
However, if Charlie (spooky) or Scott wants to use my Mirror Universe Nixie design... for Super LEs... let me know.

#490 2 years ago

Yes, but the sickness of nixies in a new production machine...

KickstarterNixie_large (resized).png

#491 2 years ago

Nixies would make a good topper. Cost could then be separated from base product, too.

#492 2 years ago

Pin sales boil down to one thing - Will a 50 year-old man buy it?

It's the reason extremely well done custom games like Buffy get largely ignored while a POS brick-fest like Predator steals half a million.

#493 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

It's the reason extremely well done custom games like Buffy get largely ignored while a POS brick-fest like Predator steals half a million.

On the face of it, in that case TA would probably be a bad candidate for manufacture, given the thumping synth / retrowave soundtrack, similar Hotline Miami type LCD graphics (and I suspect art package?), and what some older customers might consider an overwhelming light show. How many 50 year olds listen to or are even cognisant of that kind of music or new pixel shooter videogames?

The reaction to it at shows, from the recent streams and the almost universal excitement on Pinside at the announcement Spooky would manufacture it (certainly way more than for AMH / RZ / Domino's / Jetson's / Alice) seems to suggest otherwise though.

Sometimes people recognise good work, even if the theme or influences aren't a particularly obvious hit for the the market's primary demographic (middle aged men).

Besides, if this at an 'affordable' price, you don't need to market it exclusively to people whose kids are beginning to leave home and retirees sitting on a pot of gold, if it will appeal to a younger audience.

#494 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

hey... I am not even 40 yet

#495 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Could always do an alternate art package for a gottlieb reactor (which is amazing one showed up at MGC last weekend. I grew up in arcades and never once saw one, only played it on atari 2600).

gottlieb_reactor (resized).jpg

#496 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Could always do an alternate art package for a gottlieb reactor (which is amazing one showed up at MGC last weekend. I grew up in arcades and never once saw one, only played it on atari 2600).
ยป YouTube video

ughhh stoppp i dont want any more reasons to buy this.

#497 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

A large group of people lost their asses sinking money into a game centered around YOUR likeness. What does that say about your appeal to that demo? Old guys are hot for Ben? Hmmm...

#498 2 years ago

I'm 52 years old, totally down for TA but as I said although I like the music a lot (would not change that) but would appreciate an alternate soundtrack (industrial) or the ability to upload custom music easily (i.e. Not programming).

It could be a nice addition to an already great pin.

#499 2 years ago

Quick, lets make every 50 year old here watch rick and morty.

#500 2 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Quick, lets make every 50 year old here watch rick and morty.

Read my mind. JJP Rick and Morty pin please.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 59.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 11.95
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fargo, ND
$ 265.00
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 7250 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 145.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside