(Topic ID: 240294)

Torn Braided Ground Wire in Cabinet - where does it go?!

By stinkie

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Billc479
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3099 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3096 (resized).JPG
    screw in backbox for ground (resized).jpg
    view looking up into back box from cabinet (resized).jpg
    IMG_3052 (resized).JPG
    #1 5 years ago

The ground wire in my machine is just laying there and it appears to have been torn. Maybe happened when machine was transported with back box on cabinet, but I can't find where this connects. I think it is supposed to connect to back box? Please see pix. I'm about to put in new playfield, but trying to clean inside up and get things in order. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1977 Bally Eight Ball

IMG_3052 (resized).JPGIMG_3052 (resized).JPGscrew in backbox for ground (resized).jpgscrew in backbox for ground (resized).jpgview looking up into back box from cabinet (resized).jpgview looking up into back box from cabinet (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

It goes to the screw you pictured. That way the head is officially grounded.

#3 5 years ago

From experience, if that's not connected to the ground in the head, you will never read the correct voltages. Also, follow the braid back and make sure the other end is connected.

#4 5 years ago

It's odd, it is clearly not long enough to get to that screw, so will have to extend it somehow. What are the ends ultimately connected to?

#5 5 years ago

I looked closely, this wire goes through a radio noise filter, which is also where the power plug comes in from wall, then goes to front of machine and appears to be connected to almost all metal items inside the cabinet.

The back box has a braided ground going all the way across, left to right, connected to the metal sheeting on both sides, so I guess this would provide grounding for everything in back box, if it were also connected to the wire in the cabinet.

Is that it? Is that all it takes to ground the machine? Thanks again!

IMG_3096 (resized).JPGIMG_3096 (resized).JPGIMG_3099 (resized).JPGIMG_3099 (resized).JPG
    #6 5 years ago

looks like it should go to the metal leg bracket plate, and up to the middle screw you posted.

#7 5 years ago

It goes to the leg. It either goes to the backbox or another ground goes to the backbox also.

#8 5 years ago

There is no ground going to the back box, so this must be it. Question: should all 4 legs be grounded?

#9 5 years ago

On all four of my early SS Bally machines, the front legs are grounded, the rear legs are not.

The braided wire should make it all the way to the backbox. You will need to run more braid or run a wire from the case of the filter to the braid in the backbox.

I had a machine that someone had cut off the braid from the filter box to the backbox. I went nuts trying to figure out why I could not get the voltages. After pulling my hair out, I finally asked where the ground for the circuit boards was physically connected. I think it was VID1900 who posted a picture showing the braids connected together. Once I had that, I ran the wire, and wow - there's my voltages! That was a learning experience I don't think I'll ever forget.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/torn-braided-ground-wire-in-cabinet-where-does-it-go?hl=wdennie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.