(Topic ID: 48473)

ToPs Tournament in Hartford,WI

By Crazybanana

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinballxmen.png
    There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

We are thinking of holding a TOPS Tournament on our X-Men Pro at the Hartford Theater.
    Anyone interested? Prize Ideas?
    Thanks
    Sean

#2 11 years ago

If I might point out a couple things, to help you decide how and what to run.

Bump and win - high score gets 1/4 of cash, 3/4ths goes to players who beat much lower bump and win score - ( assuming set to five winners ) major problem is if someone comes in and plays four games right before tournament ends, they win 3/4ths of the money.

Regular tournament. Say you have it set a $2 a play. $1 goes to operator, $1 gets added to jackpot.

Now imagine a good player comes in and puts in $1 and plays one game, and wins 10 games. And then plays five tournament games. The jackpot increased $5, only you make it up because no money went into the game.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

I generally don't run Bump n Win. Not sure i follow the last part?(how a player plays 10games on a dollar) It is also illegal to payout cash in WI. We will most likely payout a Gift Card or Solid Prize like an iPad or something.

#4 11 years ago

I don't know if I can explain this any simpler.

A great player comes in and plays one game and wins a bunch of games - follow me ? Wins them by beating scores or specials.

Now say you charge more for a TOPS Tournament game. Part of the money is for the game, part of it goes to the tournament prize ( cash or prize prize )

So the player that won a bunch of games, uses those credits up on the more expensive tournament games. Only you didn't take in any money for the free tournament games he played.

Understand that ?

Or maybe this. Game is $1 a play. Tournament is $2 a play, and the jackpot goes up $1 for each play.

So a great player puts in $1 and wins ten games. Then plays five tournament games. So jackpot went up $5, but when you empty the cash box, there is only $1 there. See the problem ?

I'm just trying to point out that running TOPS takes some planning so you don't lose a lot of money on it.

#5 11 years ago

Your talking about replay credits. lol my bad, guess use of the word replays would be better.
    Thankfully that is something we have taken into account. Mostly looking to see if anyone plays Pinball in Hartford,WI and what kind of Toys they like

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

So the player that won a bunch of games, uses those credits up on the more expensive tournament games. Only you didn't take in any money for the free tournament games he played.

I ran a bunch of Tops tourneys and never had that problem. Replay boost (default) doesn't allow a player to get that many credits. Specials are rare on most of the newer games. Even if replay boost was turned off, any player is going to get fatigued building up all those credits before he plays his money game. Not a good strategy to exert all your energy getting free credits, then play for cash. We did lose a quarter here and there with folks buying 3 games for $2, but we were good with that.

I did mine all cash only. I started them all at $0 and priced tournament games at $1.50, with 75 cents going into the pot (non-tournament price - 75 cents). As Lloyd mentioned, don't do bump and win. I usually paid out the top 5 spots. Be sure to end it on a weekend, so folks can be there to collect their prize or cash. Also, be sure to set Show Player's Cash to on. The dollar signs on the display will attract eyeballs (potential players). Good luck.

#7 11 years ago

thanks a ton for the insight

#8 11 years ago

Never done a tops tournament but I'd make the drive up there for it! Sounds fun!

#9 11 years ago

where the heck is Hartford, WI?

Had to look it up to find it. How many other games do you have there? I would probably not make the trip for 1 game, but a few nice games and I would shoot over to play sometime...

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Now imagine a good player comes in and puts in $1 and plays one game, and wins 10 games. And then plays five tournament games. The jackpot increased $5, only you make it up because no money went into the game.

You can set max free games pre game in the settings

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

You can set max free games pre game in the settings

Yes. But unless you set it to 0, and then no one plays regular games. You can still win free games and play tournament games with them.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crazybanana:

I generally don't run Bump n Win. Not sure i follow the last part?(how a player plays 10games on a dollar) It is also illegal to payout cash in WI. We will most likely payout a Gift Card or Solid Prize like an iPad or something.

really maybe for the cherry master games? But I have played coin pushers in WI that pay out quarters and pinball is a game of skill and there are pinball tournaments in WI that pay out cash.

#13 11 years ago

lets say you get 1 free game replay + one more for getting GC / HS1 and keep doing that over and over.

But you can trun off that free game for getting GC / HS1.

With a max of 1 free game and no Bonus for putting more cash in before starting (easier for quick math)

You get one paid game 1 - 1 replay = 0 and then say one more pay up to enter.

You still have the coins to cover 2 games in the game. Just had 3 games played (entering counts as 2)

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

really maybe for the cherry master games? But I have played coin pushers in WI that pay out quarters and pinball is a game of skill and there are pinball tournaments in WI that pay out cash.

Quarter pushers are also illegal, lot of people are getting away with it now. Cash payout is still illegal skill or no skill.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

where the heck is Hartford, WI?
    Had to look it up to find it. How many other games do you have there? I would probably not make the trip for 1 game, but a few nice games and I would shoot over to play sometime...

West of west bend near Menominee falls

#16 11 years ago

Also our tournament in sheboygan WI is giving away an iPad mini!

#17 11 years ago

#18 11 years ago

#19 11 years ago

How do you enter your contact info in a tops tourney?

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from DEWSHO:

How do you enter your contact info in a tops tourney?

You don't. Name and pin number. Pin number is one you make up.

#21 11 years ago

When the tournament starts it will be on this website
    http://www.allcastlegames.com/Allcastlegames/Tournaments.html
    We just got the xmen in Hartford so it will not be tourney ready for about a week or so.
    Just got confirmation on the tourney kit shipping. Will also be adding LEDs and Fix Wolverines position

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Still need you to register so we can contact you if you win.

#23 11 years ago

Best of luck one and all! Still any ideas for prizes? (Other than cash

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

LTG is the happiest pinsider I've seen. Always a smile with every post.

Quoted from Crazybanana:

Sounds good to me.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from DEWSHO:

LTG is the happiest pinsider I've seen. Always a smile with every post.

Sounds good to me.

Happy is good

#26 11 years ago

Didn't know there was pin there. Hartford has been a wasteland for pinball in the wild. I'll definitely check out the game.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crazybanana:

You shouldn't make that a requirement. If there is cash involved, you won't need to contact anyone. They will be there with their hands out when the tourney is over. As I suggested above, end it on a weekend, so the winners can be there at the end. If there is any question at all about who won, the pin numbers will confirm who is who.

You want to make it as easy as possible for people to participate. Making registering at the desk a requirement just adds an unneeded layer. Updating the website with the current leaders initials is about all I would suggest.

Quoted from Crazybanana:

We just got the xmen in Hartford so it will not be tourney ready for about a week or so.
    Just got confirmation on the tourney kit shipping. Will also be adding LEDs and Fix Wolverines position

I would suggest giving them at least one week of break in time before starting a tourney. Problems popping up halfway thru are not good. Make sure the games are solid first.

The other thing I forget to mention above is the length of tournaments. Mine usually lasted about 30 days. I always adjusted the number of days so that it ended on a Sunday. Biggest pot was over $400.

#28 11 years ago

You are making this much harder than it is. New Sterns are not old Bally / WMS games, you can't win that many credits on them. Best you can do is 5 credits on a single game and that is only under very *very* unique circumstances...replay, GC high score for 2 credits...if that is enabled, usually its 1 now...a match at the end of the game and a special during the game which are much harder to come by then they used to be. So basically worst case scenario is 1 game, 4 credits in an absolute unique perfect storm which is not going to happen. Most likely someone could win a replay and match for 2 credits, that is it. A replay alone for a good player gets them nowhere. And don't make people sign up on a website, that will kill 90% of your participants. If people win, like was said, they will find you, and if they don't that's their loss.

The biggest problems you are going to have are; if it isn't in a location with a lot of more die hard pinball players, people are not going to do it. Casual people don't care and don't think they have a chance anyway. It is hard to get many die hards to care for this same reason. Next, if you don't start the pot out with some money in it, say $5 or $10 at least, people are not going to do it cause they don't want to win 50% of nothing. Next, this one is the real killer for multiple tournaments over time, if there is a really good player who uses bang backs and death saves to win every tops tournament and people notice it, they will stop playing...trust me. Pots here locally went from several hundred dollars to literally dollars after repeated abuses by a single player. Finally, if it is not advertised well, people will not know about it and not do it. The cardboard tournament sign is not enough and it means absolutely nothing to almost everyone, more die hard players included, cause locations will leave them on all the time anyway even when a tournament is not running. You need better, custom signage saying what is happening and how it works. Take care of these things and you have a chance of doing something that people will enjoy.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from aahgo:

Didn't know there was pin there. Hartford has been a wasteland for pinball in the wild. I'll definitely check out the game.

Just added last week, kicked the old op out they sucked

#30 11 years ago

I would suggest giving them at least one week of break in time before starting a tourney. Problems popping up halfway thru are not good. Make sure the games are solid first.
    The other thing I forget to mention above is the length of tournaments. Mine usually lasted about 30 days. I always adjusted the number of days so that it ended on a Sunday. Biggest pot was over $400.

Hartford tourney only in Pre planning right now. Will diff wait till i get some machine data, the city maybe too small to support an $300 value prize payout. Sorry folks no cash payouts will pay out gift card to your fav shop or something. We have had luck with casuals in our other tournaments with good prizes and proper POP. Casuals have always been the key to success in all of our tournaments.
    We want all people to have a good time even if they are not total pros at pinball

2 weeks later
    #31 10 years ago

Anyone still interested in a tournament?

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from Crazybanana:

Anyone still interested in a tournament?

Stopped by there the other day to play som pinball. It was closed

#33 10 years ago

What time was that?

#34 10 years ago

2PM or so. Start up the tourney!!

#35 10 years ago

Yeah they are only open early on the weekends maybe after school lets out they will open sooner.
    Tourney is coming, I just have a few more maintenance issues with the game. Would like to get started June 1st.

2 weeks later
    #36 10 years ago

Tournament Starts Today! Progressive Prize Pool starting at $25 and incrementing at 50¢ per Tournament game! Winner Takes All! Prize to be payed out as a Gift Card to the Location of your Choice. Good Luck!
    For more details & current leader info please visit www.allcastlegames.com

pinballxmen.pngpinballxmen.png

#37 10 years ago

Sweet! Won't be able to get up there for a bit, but when I do watch out
    Congrats on your first tourney!

3 weeks later
    #38 10 years ago

Gave it my best shot although I don't have much time on X-men. High score was ~3.5M when I arrived. ~35M when I left. Shouldn't be to hard to beat.

The gauntlet is down.

1 week later
    #39 10 years ago

Awesome, verified. score on the site is updated! Best of luck!

#40 10 years ago

I'll need it. All it's going to take is someone like centerflank to go up there and I'm toast!

1 month later
    #41 10 years ago

OK so Tops tourney is over. What are the results?

#42 10 years ago

KEN is the winner! $27

#43 10 years ago

Obviously not a TON of interest in Hartford WI.

Thanks for running the tournament anyway! Supporting the pinball community is much appreciated!

#44 10 years ago

nope movie theaters are difficult, Sheboygan fared better thou.

#45 10 years ago

Just to be clear, does the Sheboygan one end Friday the 30th or the 31st? Was hoping to get up there sometime Saturday.

#46 10 years ago

Saturday at closing

#47 10 years ago

the score was as posted as of last sat best of luck

#48 10 years ago

Thanks, I'll need it. I've never even come close to that score. But I'll drop a few bucks in to support the habit.

#49 10 years ago

Standings updated today

#50 10 years ago

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tops-tournament-in-hartfordwi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.