(Topic ID: 73847)

Toppers: Am I the only one that doesn't "get it"?

By SilverUnicorn

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 107 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Jetzxi
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled.jpg
    DSC08787.JPG
    DSC09334.JPG
    topper.jpg
    McKeeSMTopper.jpg
    Batman 018.jpg
    003 (2).JPG
    152231-i.jpg
    ptopper 001.jpg
    image-677.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cheeks.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 10 years ago

I agree totally about the toy collections or misc nick-nacks people put up there. I also agree with the various light up "signs" people put up there. The Laserific stuff, in some cases looks OK, but I don't get adding them to the game.

All that said, if a topper is wired to the game and tied into certain features, I think they can be cool if done well. I made a Stargate topper years ago with a swirling blue sphere inside of a custom painted stargate ring. Each of the chevrons on the ring had an LED in it tied to the ones on the playfield, so it was swirling with the "event horizon" and the chevrons lit to indicate playfield status. It was cool (despite the fact that TECHNICALLY the stargate wouldn't engage until after all the chevrons were lit, but...).

#74 10 years ago
    Quoted from caligirl:

Maybe this Holiday season, instead of thinking of how to make yourself happy by buying a new unnecessary piece of useless bling, some folks might consider donating to a local food bank or charity, and making a real impact in this world.

On this note, how dare any of us spend any money on a pinball machine to begin with? How selfish. Do you know how many kids Sally Struthers could feed with the thousands of dollars we spend buying any pinball machine?

Being this is Pinside, I've seen a ton of ignorant statements, but this one takes the cake. Is helping people more important than pinball? Certainly! But if you are going to condemn someone for buying "bling" for their machine rather than charity, how does that same scale support that the pinball machine itself is more important than those same charitable donations? People are either allowed to buy things for themselves that make them happy or not. What it is (pinball machine, mods, cars, etc) is immaterial.

All that said, go out and donate to your favorite charity this holiday season. Hmm...I wonder if the Salvation Army could use a set of Mirror Blades?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cheeks.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/toppers-am-i-the-only-one-that-doesnt-get-it?tu=cheeks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.