20200617_141947 (resized).jpg
E1FEC3D8-89BB-478C-9EF2-A633A4FD0C2D (resized).jpeg
Playstrong.Mask_1070x1070_crop_center (resized).jpg
a2e37a651941b80cf648adc1cb6e9cf50ed8bf5e (resized).jpeg
EC5F2EA7-44F6-4B8E-B621-392580A526CE (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
6F2771F9-46D5-425D-A174-EEF12089D80C (resized).jpeg
A979EA87-9729-4160-9A4D-4E1ED63426C4 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 3 years ago

At least if it adds some sort of cool new feature it justifies the insane markup for some printed plastics and LED strips.

If it’s a backbox feature like Eight Ball Deluxe or something, then easy to skip on. If it’s some sort of special multiball like Encore on Elvis, then that’s harder to pass up. Could be a progress jackpot feature which would be another homage to DEJP

#275 3 years ago

I could see the outrage if they did this for a game like the Munsters, but Jurassic Park is full of content already. This thread is a dumpster fire of FUD

And I’ll double down on what I already said. It’s just a bunch of cheap plastic and leds. If the software does something unique with it, then it at least does something to justify the cost.

Would you prefer it without the software and they only charge like $300?

We all know Stern will keep selling these low cost items with a high markup. The whole hobby is ridiculously expensive so it’s wild to see so many pinball junkies get riled up about something they don’t need.

These will sell whether people like it or not. Too many rich people that don’t care and will buy buy buy.

Lastly I’m curious if the topper is rare if it adds any value to the game. Tron LE is special. You can make a Tron Pro look just like the LE, but it’ll never have the extra software for a meaningless multiball. That’s why Tron LE is the rare LE that actually went up in value.

If the bonus software is a neat multiball or something, collectors gotta have it

#279 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I would prefer the mode without the topper, included for free in the software I already paid for. Zero interest in a cheap-looking movie logo standee with flat plastic dinosaurs.

Are you not satisfied with the amount of content in Jurassic Park?

It’s a pretty robust rule set and even has the option to skip straight to its super wizard mode as a fun mini game.

Seems like they gave you a ton of software for the product you paid for already.

#287 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Better question: why are you playing devil's advocate for Stern? What's in it for you to play the other side?

Idk. Why are you changing the topic?

We’re both advocating for the consumer but in different ways

Stern keeps raising prices. I’m arguing for value to be part of it. If they’re going to charge a ridiculous amount of money for a topper, then it better do something special.

You are afraid that they will see this as a reason to cut back on part of the core software as part of the purchase.

I’ve done the DLC in video game debate to death for the past decade. Until it feels like they purposefully cut content to resell it to you later and/or there is a dearth of content, I’m fine with DLC.

Considering Stern can never get a topper out when the game comes out, I’m skeptical they’re taking anything from the core design out to sell back later. The topper work seems to begin after the game has shipped. (At least for now)

#289 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Not gonna lie, I didn't read that whole post. Just don't care about answering your questions, Trey Bo Sixty Nine.

Cool. What a great forum full of delightful people who want to engage in conversation

#624 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I find it amazing that anyone would be willing to buy a modern used pin for new price. I can accept if you just missed out on an LE and your willing to overpay to make someone sell. You see people trying to sell Pros for what they paid including the tax, like it's appreciated because they opened it for you, its insane.

I blame people new to the hobby that joined right as Stern's price raising started to get out of control. It was trivial to flip a game because everything was skyrocketing as supply couldn't keep up with demand. Sell a used game for what you paid for it because the new games have gone up a couple hundred in the past year or two.

Now the supply and demand seems more even. But there will always be people who ask for a lot. (You can always lower your asking price, but raising it is difficult)

4 months later
#925 3 years ago

Not really the same thing (looks good though)

Without the topper's node board it's not going to do the synchronized light show and enable the additional software features. Someone has to make a knock off one of those and figure out if there is any software protection.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Manalapan, FL
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 16.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 10,899.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 289.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, NJ
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/topper-dlc-stern-s-new-low?tu=treybo69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.