20200617_141947 (resized).jpg
E1FEC3D8-89BB-478C-9EF2-A633A4FD0C2D (resized).jpeg
Playstrong.Mask_1070x1070_crop_center (resized).jpg
a2e37a651941b80cf648adc1cb6e9cf50ed8bf5e (resized).jpeg
EC5F2EA7-44F6-4B8E-B621-392580A526CE (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
6F2771F9-46D5-425D-A174-EEF12089D80C (resized).jpeg
A979EA87-9729-4160-9A4D-4E1ED63426C4 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider delt31.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Sorry but this deserves it's own thread. We've hit a new low.

Stern just released the official topper for Jurassic Park and is charging $600. Worst part - not only does it look cheap BUT they are advertising a special mode ONLY achieved through the purchase of this topper. Apparently it's tied to the topper itself.

Wow - w---t----f. That door holding in our fear of DLC has just been kicked down.

REP (for attached pic): user Join_The_Cirqus post #5172 on the JP club thread. Also on kaneda's website.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park/page/105#post-5681132

f1381a1c719eb23363512d5dd90d368029569aee (resized).pngf1381a1c719eb23363512d5dd90d368029569aee (resized).png

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

I hope we get some more clarification on the mode soon.
If it's a light/sound show, or maybe even some extra graphics on the display, I think that would be fun.
If it's really DLC, pitchforks are coming out.

special mode has to be code related. If not, then it's false advertising on top of it! Either way, it's absolutely terrible.

I know there are a ton of suckers out there buying Elvira SE 15k, SW toppers - for the love of god.....don't buy this BS.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

At least if it adds some sort of cool new feature it justifies the insane markup for some printed plastics and LED strips.
If it’s a backbox feature like Eight Ball Deluxe or something, then easy to skip on. If it’s some sort of special multiball like Encore, then that’s harder to pass up. Could be a progress jackpot feature which would be another homage to DEJP

The right answer is it's easy to skip on period b/c it's complete bull___! 6-9k purchase and you have to spend MORE for a mode?

I can already tell we're doomed. haha

#44 3 years ago

wow - it's already sold out.

You just can't blame stern if it's sells this fast. Bunch of suckers....

#57 3 years ago

The worst part is if they cut off pinbrowser b/c of this.

#554 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

All these guys rushing out to buy this topper already...maybe it actually has already sold out.
I think you're fighting a losing battle delt31 . Face it, Stern know their market better than we do.

It's embarrassing. Stern says how dumb are these people...... Oh wow they're REALLY dumb bc we just sold out!

It's not even about the overpriced topper as much as it's the fact Stern thinks they can now hide modes behind the DLC. And the mode can suck (which it does) but that's not the point. Stern is trying to change the rules and the blind just keep on taking it. Now that others have bought it like zombies, now we're messaging to stern it's ok to do this BS which is a terrible message and that's why it's annoying.

And people who bought this thing are so oblivious to common sense that they boast about buying it. Well congratulations. You're officially a Stern sucker.

Get your, "I'm a Stern sucker" tshirt at flippin out pinball! Quantity is limited of course - Buy buy buy!

#559 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The problem is you keep trying to apply real world outrage and emotion with a first world hobby.
Nobody gives a shit about your social justice action here. Because it’s not about social justice.
They just want their OFFICIAL stern JP topper, not some knockoff that costs half as much. Cause people are collectors In a well to do hobby and that’s what collectors in these hobbies do: buy stuff.
You are never going to get the response you want. It’s a shallow hobby and this is a shallow protest; in the end, nobody really cares, because the stakes are so incredibly low.
What is your big cause again? Free toppers for everybody? A kinder, gentler Stern?
NOBODY CARES. You need to start to learn that.

I would disagree that nobody cares. A lot of people agree that this is BS - in fact 83+ and counting from this thread. The majority of collectors know this is garbage but stern just needs the minority and they can continue treating those collectors like morons who bought this - that's fine. But guess what - it's not going to stop me calling out this as absolute bullshit.

Since day 1, I call them like I see them. This is no diff and I don't need stern to take this off the market to prove my point - I know there are enough dummies who will buy this. I will call them out and do what I can to spotlight what is an absolute disgrace. Period.

#566 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

There’s lots of things going on in the world that are “an absolute disgrace” but a $600 goat mania pinball topper is not one of them. It’s an absolute disgrace to call something with absolutely zero ramifications in any of our daily lives “an absolute disgrace.” It’s an insult to absolute disgraces everywhere.
Your crusade is petty and pointless.

Coming from you that means I'm doing something right! This is the guy who loves the news media which is probably the real disgrace ; )

Topper DLC is bullshit. Very simple - even for someone that is stern army like yourself.

#641 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

I dont agree with about 90% of what Crazylevi says on pinside but he's been making a whole lot of sense on this thread. For all this uproar one would think the mode would be the second coming of pinball and instead its some goat mode. If people want to spend $600 on a goat mode then power to them. A fool and his money are easily parted.

Yeah no shit. The point is NOT about people wasting their money on dumb shit. It’s the message that is being sent that results in stern thinking they can continue to do this and that ultimately impacts everyone. Yes the mode is terrible and yes it makes it even more foolish to spend money on it BUT stern will continue with this DLC now that fools are buying it and that will result in more modes being lost to the pay wall and I’m sure a good mode will be released and then what?

This isn’t a $60 video game. This is a 9k+ item that shouldn’t have DLC period. If they want to add modes later, they should be free considering upfront was so much to begin with. Sadly, that’s not going to be the case b/c stern sees folks willing to spend and now they’re off to the races.

#643 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The point is that insane people are outraged by this and sane people aren’t.
Buy it or don’t. Do we really need a “Now Stern has Gone Too Far!!!” Thread every 3 months when they sell something new? They clearly have not gone too far. Again.

What’s interesting is that we’re seeing the beginning of trends right in front of our eyes with stern. It’s now or never to speak up so I choose to call them out for the BS. Pretty simple.

#649 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Is this really considered to be 'Disk Locked Content' though? I mean it isn't just software that can be installed/unlocked for monies like CGC color...you are buying something physical
They are riding the edge though I understand...It's not a million mile leap to: "Buy this Stern t-Shirt and unlock _."

DLC is all about slicing up the pie to get more later. Stern basically sliced off a mode to make this POS topper more attractive. That's how I connect the two.

How about this..... I'm not sure they even needed to offer a mode to sell this thing. Some of these responses from owners of this topper are so embarrassing and weak I'm not even sure they needed the damn mode. They might have bought it regardless bc it was limited!

Truly an embarrassment for the industry.

#732 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The game is 100% to what you bought. Just because there are other options out there... it doesn't somehow take away from what you already bought.
When someone comes out with a new mod for your game... but you don't have it... does your game somehow shrink?
These are accessories... why is that so hard to grasp?

Wrong. Code is not an accessory.

#753 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

How about custom roms? Soundtracks? Pinsound.. which is a combination of both?
"Code is not an accessory" Sure, in some dinosaur minds... prevalent on pinside.
Everywhere else in the world, including on those computers or phones nearly everyone of you is using is a software defined feature or option.
The idea that an add-on is only defined as hardware, and can't be software is just people clinging to some old construct.
"Code" as in maintanence of what I already purchased... that's been free in Pinball. It's not even free in many industries... "Code" that is value add above what you originally purchased (like... different features or modes) has been sold as value-added options for decades.
Get over it.

Wrong again.

All of those examples do nothing to ADD to the core gameplay. That’s custom music and other non gameplay elements.

When you add modes to code that’s gameplay and now we’re talking about something significant. You have to know the difference although maybe I’m giving you too much credit.

Now you can be like the other stern army zombies and take it - that’s your call although it hurts the rest of it. But don’t tell me adding a mode to the code is the same as changing a music track. That’s asinine.

#772 3 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

From my understanding, this “mode” does nothing to add to the core gameplay of JP.
It’s a separate play thing, not part of the actual gameplay, so I would say the core gameplay remains the same with this “mod”.
Sure, this can be considered a dick move by Stern. What’s uglier to me is the way people on here try to belittle, shame, insult, and degrade anyone that wants to buy it.
That’s the real dick move.

A mode is a mode. Regardless of how shitty it is (and yes the mode sucks just as much as the topper for 600) a mode qualifies as gameplay and that’s not an opinion but fact.

What some folks need to remember is that yes this topper sucks, the mode sucks, the people pumping this to sell it (buy buy buy) suck, the stern army who is loyal and say it’s just a topper only and not DLC suck (b/c they’re greased by stern and they know it) BUT if there is one thing stern does it’s refine to make the most money possible and they will eventually release a DLC mode that actually is good and folks will say wtf. Well guess what - this is the beginning of it. It’s poison to this industry and I’ll make sure to be on the record, like the 100+ people who did the same. Peace.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 14.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 51.45
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

8,599 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, MA
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 199.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, NJ
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Sherrill, NY
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider delt31.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/topper-dlc-stern-s-new-low?tu=delt31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.