20200617_141947 (resized).jpg
E1FEC3D8-89BB-478C-9EF2-A633A4FD0C2D (resized).jpeg
Playstrong.Mask_1070x1070_crop_center (resized).jpg
a2e37a651941b80cf648adc1cb6e9cf50ed8bf5e (resized).jpeg
EC5F2EA7-44F6-4B8E-B621-392580A526CE (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
6F2771F9-46D5-425D-A174-EEF12089D80C (resized).jpeg
A979EA87-9729-4160-9A4D-4E1ED63426C4 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cooked71.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#378 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

What if JJP announcement was DLC snd Stern is scooping them

Pinball innovation is off the charts at the moment.....surprise aftermarket UV kits, mono targets, and now Pay Per Mode Toppers. They heard Pinside demanding innovation and they delivered.

#380 3 years ago

Seriously doubt it's sold out.

Apart from the obvious cash grab and the fact this is the latest in a long list of "F*ck U" messages to Stern customers, I personally can't stand carry over modes. Too random. Its up there with midnight madness modes for me.

#383 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah. Carry over modes are just a novelty. They've been in dozens (hundreds?) of games and it's hard to think a great game that has one. Except for Rollergames and EBD I think, and neither are great because of the carry over mode.
It's something that made a lot more sense in the nickel and dime days when pinball was still more associated with gambling.
A Carry Over mode is a nice value add to help convince people that this pop up book is worth $600. I wouldn't lose any sleep over not having the mode on your game. There's very little pressure or reason for someone to cough up $600 for a carry over mode novelty.

I think Stern missed a huge opportunity to really truly piss off everyone.

Gary: ”Let’s bundle the topper in with a masterpiece mini wizard mode coded by Lyman and Elwin, achievable after capturing 4 Dinosaurs, with never before seen Jurassic Park footage and original actor call outs. That will totally f*ck over everyone who paid $9k for this box of lights”.
Marketing: “no, that will piss then off too much....let’s just make it a goat multiball carry over mode and no one will give a shit.”

#474 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I'll have to check up on this...I find it hard to believe Vid didn't at least stumble into the territory

Im pretty sure Nate Shivers started using guitarguements on Coast2Coast years ago.

#485 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Ordered the topper for one of the best games ever.
For all the complaining Stern will sell the shit out of these.
People like me are also begging for the shooter rod at $140
This is a great hobby to blow money!

C‘’mom Ice, we’re supposed to stick it to the man. You just ruined everything.

#487 3 years ago
Quoted from cybevenom:

I do wonder how long it will take to be reversed engineered to get a mod to unlock the new mode without the physical topper. Maybe with a mod chip like the game consoles to act like a dummy topper?

I think we’ve all decided the Goat Mode isn’t worth the hassle.

#512 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Here’s what I’m thinking Cookie, “the man” employs 300 people or so that NEED our support after going through a shitstorm?
I’m sure Stern tapped that PPP but I’m happy to help them out and support all the line workers that need jobs. Boom boom.

Very philanthropic Ice. Topper might even be tax deductible.

#535 3 years ago

All these guys rushing out to buy this topper already...maybe it actually has already sold out.

I think you're fighting a losing battle delt31 . Face it, Stern know their market better than we do.

#539 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

When this hobby gets to be only available to whale purchasers, it’ll die out like other hobbies before. I’ll just find a new one.

I guess that’s why people get upset.

#647 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Do we really need a “This Time Stern has Gone Too Far!!!” Thread every 3 months when they sell something new?

Well you cant blame people when the "Dark Night for Stern" thread was such a smash hit. Who can resist the potential for 350 upvotes!

#704 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I editing Spanish guy video, I didn't like a few bits and some syntax etc... for example when I said $9 thousand dollars (is redundant) also the SW topper was 750 dollars etc..
https://www.kapwing.com/5ee00c41fbba5b0015861fd6/studio/editor
[quoted image]

Literally lol'd rai , love it. Better than Hitler.

#805 3 years ago

Guys you're doing it all wrong. We should be encouraging the whales to buy this topper. Make it a huge success for Stern. That way they won't put any more effort into the next topper and wont make the DLC component any better than this throw away Goat fest mode.

In fact if Stern's track record is anything to go by, if this topper is successful they'll start stripping stuff out. Next topper might only unlock a bonus Steve Ritchie call-out. "Hey Whale boy.....Nice topper."

Even better, they'll start hiding UV paint in the next topper.

#812 3 years ago

Clearly this is a pretty half-arsed DLC effort from Stern. At the end of the day it's just a ludicrously expensive topper.

But if they did actually introduce some sort of DLC for games whereby you had to pay for updates etc, I would seriously stop buying NIB Sterns. Written here for posterity.

On the other hand, if they were to offer a completely new (ie from the ground up) game code experience 2 years after release , I would definitely pay. For example, completely new Metallica or Iron Man code.

So it's a fine line. But that doesn't keep the Stern production line moving, so its highly unlikely.

My dream would be a manufacturer making code open-source after a period of time. With the amount of skill and passion in this community it would breath new life into some awesome games. Also unlikely for a number of reasons.

#883 3 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

China is getting more expensive. My guess is that they are made in Bangladesh at a per unit cost under $10.

Unit price - $1 - $1.50

1 month later
#900 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Based on what he said I think they will continue to have exclusive game play features and interactivity only available to those who buy the topper.

That sucks.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

I respectfully disagree because when you buy a NIB game you are buying that games code, even if the code is unfinished and not downloaded onto the game yet. The topper of course is an add on that some people buy and some people dont. The LE owners should get a topper with their game as part of the LE package imo but to have to buy a 600 dollar topper just to get the entire code is shitty and extremely f*cking greedy on Sterns part.

You've got a good point there WD. The whole thing is muddied because Stern knowingly release games where code is unfinished on launch. We all buy the games with an unspoken understanding that the code is unfinished and will improve over time. There is never anything concrete from Stern saying that a game is unfinished, finished or anything in between. We just trust them.

Throw in this new "Cash for Code" topper crap and the line between what's finished and what's not is blurred even more. Do we have to assume all released games from now on are more or less feature complete and any further code will be tied to a topper or enhanced light kit?

#901 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I agree the LE buyers should get the topper too.
I also think the LEs should cost $600 more though.

lol. You and Gary.....best buddies.

Gary-Stern-meme-template (1) (resized).jpgGary-Stern-meme-template (1) (resized).jpg
#911 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hole point.
This place can be so depressing.

Anyone seen pics of this Black Whole? Terrible.
7034B8BA-338F-4301-8BA7-D60CF1E686A0 (resized).jpeg7034B8BA-338F-4301-8BA7-D60CF1E686A0 (resized).jpeg

#914 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I've seen and restored worse.

I’m sure Zitt . Just another failed whole/hole joke.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
JURASSIC PARK PRO Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Hutto, TX
$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richmond, VA
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.50
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cooked71.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/topper-dlc-stern-s-new-low?tu=cooked71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.