20200617_141947 (resized).jpg
E1FEC3D8-89BB-478C-9EF2-A633A4FD0C2D (resized).jpeg
Playstrong.Mask_1070x1070_crop_center (resized).jpg
a2e37a651941b80cf648adc1cb6e9cf50ed8bf5e (resized).jpeg
EC5F2EA7-44F6-4B8E-B621-392580A526CE (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
6F2771F9-46D5-425D-A174-EEF12089D80C (resized).jpeg
A979EA87-9729-4160-9A4D-4E1ED63426C4 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zitt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#237 3 years ago
Quoted from TonyScoots:

Does the Topper come with a bottle of Vaseline ?

No. you no there is no lube with it comes to stern. infact; free sandpaper if you get one of their PF specials!

#351 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I’ll be pissed if I spent 600 for a topper and everyone gets the mode for free.

Just dump the serial eeprom which probably in the topper.

#370 3 years ago
Quoted from KickahaOta:

Do Stern toppers actually contain code at all? I'd have thought that the code would be part of the normal game software, and the topper would effectively act as a dongle enabling the feature.

No. But they almost have to have some universal serial number in this topper because even Stern isn't stoopid enough to have a "wire"/"jumper detect" feature that can easily be reverse engineered, right?
They probably have a "node board" up in this topper that can be detected by the CPU to enable the "DLC".

Just guessing/spitballing... I have no dog in the race as I've stopped buying Sterns because of the anti-lube they've been providing to their customers since Star Trek. Star Trek was my first and probably only Stern product. Been tempted by Metallica, Stranger Danger, and Star Wars... but I've convinced myself the risk just wasn't worth the short term enjoyment.

#464 3 years ago
Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

What makes Stern think this worth an additional $300?

Stern Fanboi tax.

#700 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Its the DLC thats the problem here.

Disagree.
It's the DLC plus an unbelievable price for printed, laser cut plastic set.
There's actually less material in the topper here than a CPR plastic set (If I were to make a comparison).
If stern did put a node board in the topper; then they are A) lazy and B) stoopid.

#797 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

They are walking on thin ice for sure.

Stern was on thin Ice for me back shortly after releasing Spike2... The ice gave way with the first Cabinet/Playfield quality issues they saw shortly after that. I haven't been more than briefly interested in any title since. I don't see that changing anytime in the near or mid-term future. IMHO; they lost touch with me as a customer with their ever increasingly "F-the-customer" attitude, rising prices, cost cutting moves. This is just another example.

There is going to need to be a radical "back to basics" / "customer obsession" mindset/management change at Stern before they will get another dollar from me. IMHO, Gary and Gomez aren't it and likely never will be.

#845 3 years ago
Quoted from Cantabkiwi:

This is me now saying an extra BIG THANKYOU to spooky for the free Rick n Morty topper!

Was it free... or was it part of your fang club membership?

Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I wish distributors would not use USPS for more expensive items like toppers. They always get delayed and not well handled. Last time my Star Wars topper box took a beating by them. They just dont care about whats in the box.

Doesn't matter WHO you use... they are treating shipments like that.
Don't get me started how UPS has screwed me twice at their fu-xup and the first was "customer packed" issue. (lies - computer in original box)... and right now I have an open claim on bent Stern Armor. I'm not convinced they aren't going to claim the same "customer packing issue" when they likely drove a truck over it. Apparently; you need to crate everything and pay 100s over for the weight to protect anything from their shipping goons.

To be protected from UPS... you have to have them pack it in their store for a very high fee... then pay retail which is twice the cost of wholesale... and pray they don't have some boiler plate language in the two pages of fine print. Just yesterday; I tried shipping a 23 pound box of stern armor to a customer using UPS Store. 3Day select for this package was 104USD. I took it home and printed the same label using my Stamps.com via UPS account... it was 49USD to ship the same package, same value, same 3day select.

Trust no one. Expect failure.

1 month later
#897 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

On the latest Super Awesome Pinball Podcast they have a great interview with George Gomez. Some interesting info regarding Stern's topper development process.

Stern can sux a bag of... They really are trying to alienate every "pinhead" in existence thru a series of bad business decisions.

#912 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Anyone seen pics of this Black Whole? Terrible.

I've seen and restored worse.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Sherrill, NY
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.50
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Hutto, TX
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 199.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 16.00
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zitt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/topper-dlc-stern-s-new-low?tu=Zitt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.