20200617_141947 (resized).jpg
E1FEC3D8-89BB-478C-9EF2-A633A4FD0C2D (resized).jpeg
Playstrong.Mask_1070x1070_crop_center (resized).jpg
a2e37a651941b80cf648adc1cb6e9cf50ed8bf5e (resized).jpeg
EC5F2EA7-44F6-4B8E-B621-392580A526CE (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
6F2771F9-46D5-425D-A174-EEF12089D80C (resized).jpeg
A979EA87-9729-4160-9A4D-4E1ED63426C4 (resized).png

There are 936 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 19.
#201 3 years ago

I-N-T-E-R-N-A-T-I-O-N-A-L R-E-S-C-U-E

#202 3 years ago

Fuck it, I may Buy. Are they still available?

#203 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

You dont really understand Stern do you. 1. Strip games, charge more 2. Piss poor QC 3. Abandoned code 4. DLC. 5. Stern doesnt care and wont address any issues.

I’m a new guy in pin ownership so I’m somewhat unaware of their past. With a recent “fresh start” if you will, I’m still optimistic until they show me otherwise. I guess that optimism may be short lived based on what is starting to unfold with this topper but we’ll see.

#204 3 years ago
Quoted from gblack:

I’m a new guy in pin ownership so I’m somewhat unaware of their past. With a recent “fresh start” if you will, I’m still optimistic until they show me otherwise. I guess that optimism may be short lived based on what is starting to unfold with this topper but we’ll see.

Nope, its only going to get worse. Gary Stern predates the dinos, so hes going for any cash grab/cost cutting he can before retirement. Its sad, because Stern makes some great games, but this disregard for the customer has to end sometime.

#205 3 years ago

Even I had to give Delt31 an upvote that's what a load of shit this is

#206 3 years ago

Didn’t Stern just up the prices on TMNT, too?

#207 3 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

Didn’t Stern just up the prices on TMNT, too?

I think all prices raised at the beginning of the year, so no.

#208 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Can't imagine what Zepplin topper will run....

Don’t matter...I’m buying

#209 3 years ago

Best topper Stern ever made and it was $399.

9D54F6F1-5E46-44A1-A5CF-796EBD1BB71E (resized).jpeg9D54F6F1-5E46-44A1-A5CF-796EBD1BB71E (resized).jpeg
#210 3 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Fuck it, I may Buy. Are they still available?

Seriously!?

There is a video from original Atari arcade offices (shown at CA Extreme a few years ago) where the game designers joke about 'management perception of game development talent'. In the video, they pushed an arcade cabinet off the roof of their Sunnyvale office. The cabinet just explodes in the parking lot as a kid rides by on his bicycle and attempts to put a quarter in the coin door of the destroyed game. It's pretty funny.

The pinball hobby feels a bit like that now... $600 or $9000 at a time.

#211 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

$500. one just sold not long ago

Sweet! Looks
Like I sold at the height of the market then.

#212 3 years ago

The only thing I've learned from this thread is I shouldn't be selling translite packages for $200, I should be selling toppers for $600.

I dunno what to even say. I think the idea of an interactive topper is cool. I'm not even mad about some random multiball mode coming packaged with it. It's clearly not a game changer, it's going to be a fun gimmick and otherwise nothing notable.

It's just ... $600 for that? I could design way cooler toppers with all the costs and limitations of boutique manufacturing and I'd still never dream of charging $600 for one.

#213 3 years ago
Quoted from pinfarmer:

Ya these are not 60 dollar video games. They are already way overpriced luxury items.
But we do keep accepting higher and higher prices so I can't blame them too much.

Look at the re-sale prices of games, say Tron LE, POTC LE etc., GB topper, higher than the street price NIB, almost everyone's complicit in it.

#214 3 years ago

It’s official. I’m in!

F260E0E5-8C67-4DE5-A7CD-C27897511C17 (resized).jpegF260E0E5-8C67-4DE5-A7CD-C27897511C17 (resized).jpeg
#215 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

It’s official. I’m in!
[quoted image]

I know you turned off your thumbs so I just wanted to let you know I gave your post a thumbs down.

#216 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

I know you turned off your thumbs so I just wanted to let you know I gave your post a thumbs down.

I can’t seeeeeeeeee it! Blissful

#217 3 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Best topper Stern ever made and it was $399.
[quoted image]

But how'd they get the head sculpts of former distributors?

#218 3 years ago

You are looking at this all wrong. A crappy looking topper that costs $600 and is already sold out can only mean the pandemic is over and America is back open for business. Otherwise this would look incredibly slimy.

#219 3 years ago
mememe_6237bb7da6df53bc523c92c05944bcac-1.jpgmememe_6237bb7da6df53bc523c92c05944bcac-1.jpg
#220 3 years ago

I love the internet.

#221 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

It’s official. I’m in!
[quoted image]

And this is why pinball manufacturers charge what they do.

#222 3 years ago

Does the Topper come with a bottle of Vaseline ?

#223 3 years ago

Rick and Morty comes with a free topper.

#224 3 years ago
Quoted from TonyScoots:

Yes and anal beads.

#225 3 years ago

If it had a fleshlight attachment I might be in.

#226 3 years ago
Quoted from Potatoloco:

I love the internet.

Damn you're fast.

#227 3 years ago

It amazes me how many people want to have sex with their pinball machines!

(it's hot keep it up)

#228 3 years ago

This just screams for a Hitler video. No way he'd be happy about code hidden behind a paywall

#229 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

(it's hot keep it up)

More like coin sluts! Amirite?!

Hey yo!

#230 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

(it's hot keep it up)

Who said anything about wanting to have sex with our own machines?
Guess it’s a good thing machines are now going to have bottles of sanitizer next to them on route.

#231 3 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

To each their own... but I overcame this topper dilemma a couple years ago by pulling them off of all my games that had one, selling them, and then never buying one again. With the money I saved I bought more sensible stuff like beer and guitar pedals.

Step 2
Sell pedals on Reverb, get Kemper

#232 3 years ago
Quoted from TonyScoots:

No but you get free ribbing for added pleasure while you are getting bent over.

#234 3 years ago

#235 3 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

This just screams for a Hitler video. No way he'd be happy about code hidden behind a paywall

Those were gold! Relics of the good old days

#236 3 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

Toppers on pins are like having a set of bull horns on the hood of your Cadillac convertible.
Both are gonna get you laid.

Funny post and funny avatar, thank you.

#237 3 years ago
Quoted from TonyScoots:

No. you no there is no lube with it comes to stern. infact; free sandpaper if you get one of their PF specials!

#238 3 years ago
CB3A822B-C7DC-489F-AF96-FCC4451A5CB4 (resized).pngCB3A822B-C7DC-489F-AF96-FCC4451A5CB4 (resized).png
#239 3 years ago

ATTENTION STERN PLEASE READ THIS ...

1) We pay 9k plus for your LE that aren't even close to the value of a JJP LE

2) We pay 9k and you can't even put a flap like JJP so the balls won't fall out

3) We pay 9k and you can't even put green buttons on a green game no you put yellow, you use black rubbers can't do color coded.

4) We pay 9k and you can't even color code flippers to the playfield why yellow on a green game or red game

5) We pay 9k and we get an autograph from Gary Stern... keep it and put it the freaking flap to keep the balls from falling out

6) We pay 9k and you DO NOT GET A TOPPER????????????? REALLY????????????

7) We pay 9k and we don't get the new mode? Seriously?
8) WE PAY YOU 9K for JP and you don't even use the artwork from the movie or clips. Deadpool you did the same thing, and the same thing again for TMNT.

9) WE PAY YOU 9K and on Aerosmith you're too damn cheap to license DREAM ON FOR AEROSMITH... you cheap bastards. This is getting OLD FAST!

10) People have lost their jobs, their wealth, business have closed, rioting is going on everywhere and you THINK IN THIS ENVIRONMENT you want to DOUBLE the price of what this topper is worth? SERIOUSLY? This is a 299.00 topper TOPS!

Listen Stern I AM NOW CANCELLING AN ORDER FOR YOUR NEW GAME! SCREW YOU GREEDY GREEDY GREEDY!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the WORST TOPPER IN HISTORY ... you make a topper for Black Knight that moves around and talks and is CHEAPER THAN THIS NEW JOKE OF A TOPPER??? WHO ARE YOU KIDDING???????

Black Knight Topper vs JP Topper PLEASE!

THIS MUST BE AN APRIL 1st JOKE

SHAME ON YOU STERN! SHAME ON YOU!

I kept waiting for this Topper, and I thought you'd TOP Black Knight but no... you guys are horrible!!!!

ATTENTION JJP... BRING ON GNR LE $9500 with a TOPPER! LETS GO SCREW STERN! THINK ABOUT IT PEOPLE HAVE LOST THEIR JOBS AND STERN THINKS WOW LETS CHARGE 600 BUCKS FOR A DUMPY TOPPER!!!!!!!! SCREW OFF STERN!

#240 3 years ago

Yep GNR looks even Sweeter now.

#241 3 years ago

I wonder if Stern has even considered making a killer topper that would sell by itself instead of this kind of DLC add-on to enable sales of a crappy topper...

#242 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

It’s official. I’m in!
[quoted image]

How were you able to purchase it? Every single time I go stern website it says out of stock, and this whole Stern Insider thing is completely useless, took my 30.00 for nothing can't even access it early, nothing

Found on ebay. Stern website useless.

#243 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

It’s official. I’m in!
[quoted image]

You showed them. Thanks.

#244 3 years ago

is these prices sure that my next purchase will be jjp

#245 3 years ago

For $599.99 does it come with a limited edition plaque on the back of it?

There's a reason this topper is $599.99. Stern knows JP is their hottest game right now and is trying to make one last cash grab. $399.99 is where this topper should be priced at when you look at Stern's past toppers. The Munsters topper actually has something that moves on it and is $424.99. This topper looks like it was purposely designed to keep the build of materials low in order to maximize profit.

#246 3 years ago

Well even though I don’t have a Jurassic this is really bad. Garbage.

#247 3 years ago

No big deal, if you like toppers...cool
And for a couple hundred bucks more than usual, you get a unique game code
If your okay spending over 9k on pinnie, does a few hundred $ really matter FFS

#248 3 years ago

The outrage is coming from 3 different points.

1) it's $600 FFS
2) it looks like a piece of $h!t
3) People believe that they should get the full package at the time of initial purchase, or at the very least free code upgrades.

How many people who had initially thought of buying a TMNT are thinking to themselves "What are Stern holding back on, and what are they going to charge me at a later date to 'complete' the game"

I can only see this reducing the sales, or at least people delaying, of any future releases.

It seems a very strange time to release this just after they have released TMNT, thus potentially reducing sales, AND just before JJP is about to announce their latest machine. I can see people waiting to see what JJP are going to do before committing to a new machine from Stern.

Had I known that this topper was coming, it probably wouldn't have put me off buying JP2, but it certainly would have made me think a little harder.

#249 3 years ago

People keep on pressing for innovation that includes WiFi connectivity and automatic DLC updates. After that happens, every little thing on the machine or in the code will be an add-on. Eventually, customers will be charged for a subscription for the use of the code (just like many other software companies and content providers). These little add-ons like this POS topper here are just a small step toward the partial-ownership, sharing economy of the future.

It makes me sick. I want to barf.

#250 3 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

How many people who had initially thought of buying a TMNT are thinking to themselves "What are Stern holding back on, and what are they going to charge me at a later date to 'complete' the game"

I like the look of TMNT, but after this and the Stranger Things UV kit, that's exactly what I'm thinking. Also agree with everything else you've said.

I'm not a fan of the core concept of having to buy a cosmetic accessory to complete the game software, but the thing that really gets me here is the combination of the price and how cheap it looks. I've never been a fan of toppers, but even I think that the Black Knight one looks great. If this had been in the same price range, looked that good, and also happened to include an extra mode I'd still be annoyed, but it wouldn't seem as much as a rip off.

This is the absolute worst of all worlds, and it just feels insulting from a consumer perspective - it's like they assume we're stupid enough to buy any old shit. Unfortunately, some of us will prove them correct.

I wonder why they haven't posted this disaster on the Facebook page like they normally do when they release a topper.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 70.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
There are 936 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/topper-dlc-stern-s-new-low/page/5?hl=pokerjake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.