20200617_141947 (resized).jpg
E1FEC3D8-89BB-478C-9EF2-A633A4FD0C2D (resized).jpeg
Playstrong.Mask_1070x1070_crop_center (resized).jpg
a2e37a651941b80cf648adc1cb6e9cf50ed8bf5e (resized).jpeg
EC5F2EA7-44F6-4B8E-B621-392580A526CE (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
6F2771F9-46D5-425D-A174-EEF12089D80C (resized).jpeg
A979EA87-9729-4160-9A4D-4E1ED63426C4 (resized).png
There are 936 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 19.
#101 3 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

You have to spell out Jurassic Park on the topper? It carries over from game to game? Mustang did that...you spelled out M-u-s-t-a-n-g to get a special multiball. Cool idea when you had multiple players...playing. Spelling out Mustang by yourself was boring.

I had no idea they had already done this.

#102 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I'm glad DLC is available to those that want it.

As someone who operates games casually that are used for tournaments, it sucks imo. I already feel like I should have the led kit on stranger things and if this topper unlocks other modes or something It would be worse. I hope it’s something as simple as a carry over feature that some have mentioned already.

Feels like ops might get pressured into this sorta stuff because having the game itself isn’t good enough anymore. But does it have the topper with the cool modes? The black light kit? I would rather cosmetic stuff like stranger things UV over unlockable code.

No way will I buy this for my JP and I’m scared what’s coming next for tmnt and onward.

#103 3 years ago

What if JJP announcement was DLC snd Stern is scooping them

#104 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

I had no idea they had already done this.

I'm not saying it'll be same mode...but bet it'll be something similar. You collect the MUSTANG letters (carried over from game to game) and got a special Mustang multi-ball. It was like russian roulette for multiple players...playing...and that was fun. I certainly wouldn't have paid extra for the feature.

You collected the letters at the back of the play field....

Stern20PinballMustang20Pro131-510x491-510x400 (resized).jpgStern20PinballMustang20Pro131-510x491-510x400 (resized).jpg
#105 3 years ago

F#ck the cup then just pour it in my hand for a dime

0 (resized).jpg0 (resized).jpg
#106 3 years ago

I'm glad DLC is available to those that want it.

If the DLC is free, great - thanks Stern.

But the fact that these games cost thousands of dollars, and now you have to spend an insane amount on a cheap topper just to get some extra code that should be in the game to start with is super frustrating.

#107 3 years ago

I don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand JP is an awesome game and I was just talking to my wife about getting in on a Prem. On the other hand, I certainly don't want them to think that me buying a game from them is in any way supporting a DLC model. I mean, if a small company like Spooky will give out free toppers, what does that say about a giant like Stern?

#109 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand JP is an awesome game and I was just talking to my wife about getting in on a Prem. On the other hand, I certainly don't want them to think that me buying a game from them is in any way supporting a DLC model. I mean, if a small company like Spooky will give out free toppers, what does that say about a giant like Stern?

It means stern is laughing all the way to the bank, because people don’t learn. They bitch and moan then bend over and take it anyways.

#110 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

It means stern is laughing all the way to the bank, because people don’t learn. They bitch and moan then bend over and take it anyways.

yeah, that's why i'm hesitant. What's there in JP is already great, hence us wanting in on a Prem. But Stern has shown repeatedly what they're willing to do to make a few extra bucks. I get wanting to profit, but nickle and diming? Do they really not care what their customer base thinks? I guess ultimately dollars speak the loudest.

#111 3 years ago

All the talk in this thread about bending over and taking it is pretty hot. Keep it coming fellas!

#112 3 years ago

I’m trying to contact Tilt Toppers. I’m sure they’re getting bombarded with orders now...

#113 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

All the talk in this thread about bending over and taking it is pretty hot. Keep it coming fellas!

This is the same as the car dealership selling us rust proofing!

#114 3 years ago

So a topper may be worth $600+ but not this one. Maybe if it had a LE plaque. It would be worth it if included in the hugely marked up LE but not without. On top of that, it sold out before anyone could really complain about it or even buy one. The things we have to put up with around here.

#115 3 years ago

Typical Stern crap. After what people shelled out for the SW topper this isnt really that much of a surprise. Until people stop buying their overpriced crap Stern will continue to push the envelope.

#116 3 years ago

I saved $450 for this topper. I thought surely it won’t be more than that. I saw that black knight was $450. Black knight topper is so Worth the price if you could find one.

#117 3 years ago

I wonder if they make this topper in the pro model....

#118 3 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

I saved $450 for this topper. I thought surely it won’t be more than that. I saw that black knight was $450. Black knight topper is so Worth the price if you could find one.

I don't get that...there wasn't even an official announcement for it....I would love to have the BK Topper. Are they going to make more? Every BK owner I've talked to, wants one.....

#119 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

yeah, that's why i'm hesitant. What's there in JP is already great, hence us wanting in on a Prem. But Stern has shown repeatedly what they're willing to do to make a few extra bucks. I get wanting to profit, but nickle and diming? Do they really not care what their customer base thinks? I guess ultimately dollars speak the loudest.

Buy used. 'nuff said. That way Stern gets $0.

#120 3 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Buy used. 'nuff said. That way Stern gets $0.

I've only bought 2 NIB, and both were from Spooky, so yeah, I'm usually a secondary market Stern buyer.

#121 3 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

I don't get that...there wasn't even an official announcement for it....I would love to have the BK Topper. Are they going to make more? Every BK owner I've talked to, wants one.....

All sold out. If I know Stern. They will throw a plaque on it and called a limit edition . On the next run $750

#122 3 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

All sold out. If I know Stern. They will throw a plaque on it and called a limit edition . On the next run $750

Probably, fml. I hope they make another run...and not start a sh$t show like this one.....

#123 3 years ago

Just had to...

dell guy (resized).jpgdell guy (resized).jpg
#124 3 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

I’m trying to contact Tilt Toppers. I’m sure they’re getting bombarded with orders now...

I bought my Jurassic Park topper by Tilt Topper months ago. I enjoy what its designed for. All letters light up . Only $225.00. Thanks Dan!!

#125 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Take a look at the SW Topper thread. It all starts out as rage and anger and then acceptance, and then pride in ownership.
Once again can't blame Stern at all.

dang right we can't blame Stern, we keep buying this crap. It is our faults.

#126 3 years ago
Quoted from pchdetc:

I bought my Jurassic Park topper by Tilt Topper months ago. I enjoy what its designed for. All letters light up . Only $225.00. Thanks Dan!!

I got one also and it looks way better than Sterns

#127 3 years ago

Stern might consider this negative feedback 'growing pains' with any new 'business model' but I really hope customers don't buy and show it's viable.
That said, I'll bet most Stranger Things customers felt 'forced' and bought the light-kit. And too many people are able to justify $9k for a Stern LE. That's amazing.

#128 3 years ago

Yeah, there's nothing new about the concept of the mode. BK2K had RANSOM. Rollergames had WILLIAMS. Surfin' Safari had DOUBLE. The list goes on and on. Progressive modes have been around for ages, just like progressive jackpots.

The 'innovative' feature here is selling it as a $600 add-on.

#129 3 years ago
Quoted from GrandFireball1:

have to spend an insane amount on a cheap topper just to get some extra code that should be in the game to start with is super frustrating.

Not following your logic here, can you explain? How did you decide what "code should be in the game to start"? The topper is an optional piece, apparently with a separate set of letters that light up individually that are not elsewhere on the game. So including this particular code on the game to start would make no sense.

It's an available extra.

#130 3 years ago
Quoted from pchdetc:

Was it made to order, or ready to ship?

#131 3 years ago

LEAKED IMAGES OF NEW TURTLES TOPPER!!!!!!

It'll cost $1599 but it includes an actual slice of Leonardo's pizza!

turtles-pizza (resized).jpgturtles-pizza (resized).jpg
#132 3 years ago

Seriously though, jump on these and make your own:
https://www.wish.com/product/5c9362005c27086f4d249f3c?share=web

#133 3 years ago

So including this particular code on the game to start would make no sense.

It would make a lot of sense. These are $6-9K games. Modes shouldn't have to be purchased after you... JUST SPENT $6,000 to $9000 ON A GAME!

$6-9 THOUSAND DOLLARS!!! (resized).jpg$6-9 THOUSAND DOLLARS!!! (resized).jpg

#134 3 years ago

It's a free market economy. They make it and people obviously buy it. Can't blame them for finding ways to make a dollar.

-- HOWEVER --

The all mighty money grab makes the company look greedy, and the recent after-market add-ons feels a little under-handed. The playfields -- arguably the most important mechanical part of the pin -- still get battered and dented. The company doesn't seem to care about its customers or even its product.

I was a huge fan not too long ago. They kept pinball alive in its darkest days. It's like growing up to adulthood and finding out your dad never really loved you back.

#135 3 years ago

The more I think about this, the more I wonder who it's intended for.

In a home environment, a progressive mode/jackpot is generally less interesting than a non-progressive one. Skill can accelerate it, but skill isn't required; you'll activate the mode every few games by pure chance. It can actually become an annoyance, because it means that you're in a major scoring disadvantage during the games when the mode is out of reach.

In an on-location environment, a twelve-letter mode seems like too many letters. You want that progressive mode to feel within reach, to draw players in. If I understand what the mode is and does, and if I just see JUR lit up when I walk into the location, I'm going to feel less interested in playing. (And for the players who don't understand what the mode is and does, it's pointless.)

#136 3 years ago

This now makes even less sense. Sold out in less than 12hrs for a mode that nobody knows what it actually is. If it’s actually an in game mode that’s pretty shitty nobody else can get this mode enabled.

I’m guessing it’s just a topper light show, not anything in the game, and they only produced 10-20.

#137 3 years ago

I don't see why everyone's panties are in a twist for this topper. At any time, any software can have additional features added. There's really never a true "done" state, so saying that the current code is incomplete because the topper adds a mode is not valid. Honestly, how many people like extra junk on top of their games? Most wouldn't want a topper, priced at $200 or $700 so why is this any different. It's good that there's a choice and that paying the crazy $600 gives you something special.

#138 3 years ago

when we get the code I'm sure a chimpanzee and two trainees will be able to unlock the new mode...

Neil.

#139 3 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I don't see why everyone's panties are in a twist for this topper. At any time, any software can have additional features added. There's really never a true "done" state, so saying that the current code is incomplete because the topper adds a mode is not valid. Honestly, how many people like extra junk on top of their games? Most wouldn't want a topper, priced at $200 or $700 so why is this any different. It's good that there's a choice and that paying the crazy $600 gives you something special.

Don’t care about the topper. MIGHT care if it’s a mode that I’ll never be able to play because not only is it $600 but also sold out in less than 12hrs. Depends what this mode is though.

Edit: If this progression and mode is available free without the topper and the topper is only an extra display I’d be fine with that. That’s the only thing that makes sense to me is having the topper be a fancy tracker.

#140 3 years ago

To each their own... but I overcame this topper dilemma a couple years ago by pulling them off of all my games that had one, selling them, and then never buying one again. With the money I saved I bought more sensible stuff like beer and guitar pedals.

#141 3 years ago

In the Apple app store they disclose what additional charge items are part of any app you get. This really shouldn't be much different.

Having secret features or code they plan to charge you for and not disclosing it when the game is released and sold just comes across as being shady.

Doesn't matter if Stern is within their right to do it, this is about how they're handling a customer. I think it all comes down to Stern needing to be upfront with the customer and disclosing what additional purchase items will be available later when those items are known at the time Stern introduces and sells the machine.

Trust is a big deal in the buyer-seller relationship. Not disclosing things about a product your customer is buying can break that trust quickly.

#142 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Lost me as a customer permanently with this one.

Spooky Pinball 2020

#143 3 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Spooky Pinball 2020

Spooky 4 LYFE!!!

Only company I’d buy a pin from at the moment.

#144 3 years ago
Quoted from pinfarmer:

Ya these are not 60 dollar video games. They are already way overpriced luxury items.
But we do keep accepting higher and higher prices so I can't blame them too much.

I do agree to a point, these are not 60 video games and they cost a pretty penny to buy but the R&D and overhead can only be spread around to a few thousand units sold.

I believe that the price is not reflective of how much it costs to build but more likely what Stern can sell them for. I have a few new Sterns and can feel the quality is not the same as it was (example Metallica pro was a $4600 pin) now the pro pins are a grand higher and arguably can be said to be made cheaper. But also the new games have a lot of value added content like the larger color display and often more code (or at least more assets, I mean SW will use a lot more film assets than Tron or ST as examples). So looking at say a ST pro vs SW pro you can maybe feel more in the ST in terms of build but the SW has a lot more film assets and has a much larger color display for free (* we gladly play $400 to color DMD to upgrade from the red dot display).

Anyhow the Stern pro is still the cheapest real pinball you can buy. I often grab a premium because Stern can often add just enough that will make me pay a bit extra. But I rarely (never) buy a Stern LE anymore because the price jump from the premium is not worth near as much as what Stern charges.

I view a topper as not essential but as a luxury (like paying more for an LE instead of a premium). I mean if Stern charges more than I feel it's worth then I won't buy it. I am sure Stern is selling enough to make a profit on the toppers, maybe could sell more at a lower price point but Stern knows how to make money and I have nothing against them anymore than I have against Apple for selling a phone for $1K or Honda for selling a car for $40K it's supply and demand.

Now I don't know what means if Stern starts selling game features/modes with toppers. To me that would not be ideal but leastways Stern still sells the cheapest real pinball machines around.

#145 3 years ago

I can understand the outrage, but let’s be honest here. We have supported the whol pro/premium/le and the standard/le/ce from the get go. I don’t see how this is really any different. You pay money to get extra features.

#146 3 years ago

The topper is an optional piece, apparently with a separate set of letters that light up individually that are not elsewhere on the game. So including this particular code on the game to start would make no sense.

Quoted from Yoko2una:

It would make a lot of sense. These are $6-9K games. Modes shouldn't have to be purchased after you... JUST SPENT $6,000 to $9000 ON A GAME!

Repeating it in caps doesn't help explain WHY you think that Yoko2una
Do we agree not all games have toppers on them?
Do we agree owners of games without toppers should not have to pay for any feature that requires a topper?

If yes to both of the above then I think you're left with every owner should get every feature and accessory for free?
Does that apply only to factory accessories? Why or why not?

#147 3 years ago

I rather buy a color dmd for one of my games and save 200

#148 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballbrat:

what's next, Paying for code updates ?!?!

With on line play just like golden tee

#149 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Downloadable Content. Basically the business model for all video games for the last few years.

Is this the idea where you don't really buy a discrete product anymore? You've bought into an income stream?

#150 3 years ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

We have supported the whol pro/premium/le and the standard/le/ce

No, we didn't. The manufacturers decided that is how they were going to sell games and we had to accept it. There aren't enough manufacturers for everyone to just to buy from someone else who isn't doing it (American, Spooky).

An yes, I know: Spooky's BSE, but that's purely cosmetic... no playfield or gameplay changes. Stern pro/premium have different playfields, JJP doing the Wonkavator thing, and now we have this "value-added" aftermarket add-on crap from Stern.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Manalapan, FL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Hutto, TX
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 289.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 936 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/topper-dlc-stern-s-new-low/page/3?hl=crile1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.