20200617_141947 (resized).jpg
E1FEC3D8-89BB-478C-9EF2-A633A4FD0C2D (resized).jpeg
Playstrong.Mask_1070x1070_crop_center (resized).jpg
a2e37a651941b80cf648adc1cb6e9cf50ed8bf5e (resized).jpeg
EC5F2EA7-44F6-4B8E-B621-392580A526CE (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
6F2771F9-46D5-425D-A174-EEF12089D80C (resized).jpeg
A979EA87-9729-4160-9A4D-4E1ED63426C4 (resized).png

There are 936 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 19.
#51 3 years ago

I’ll just leave this here....

[email protected]

#52 3 years ago

Imagine if Eight Ball Deluxe didn't enable DELUXE unless you paid extra....

#53 3 years ago

Lol remember the good ol' days when companies like Spooky were cool enough to include a free topper w/ mechanical motion with each order? Oh wait, that was 4 months ago...

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I’ll just leave this here....

[email protected]

It's gonna get ugly fast if Stern posts about the topper on facebook.

#55 3 years ago

Maybe the new mode will be available to non-topper owners too via the LCD screen? It’s cool they are making a game mode special for this but I sure hope the hardware isn’t required for it.

#56 3 years ago

Someone will figure out how to simulate the topper input and enable the extra mode .

#57 3 years ago

The worst part is if they cut off pinbrowser b/c of this.

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I can almost guarantee it is.

Can't have people making aftermarket toppers that spell the letters and unlock the "game mode" if you're trying to sell yours for $600.

#59 3 years ago

I like toppers but I'm not a fan of ones that just replicate a logo that is already plastered all over the artwork, cabinet, and backglass. The JP topper, like a majority of toppers, just seems redundant. In regards to the unique mode I think that is kinda cool considering JP is already extremely deep but it would be a new low to not include the mode for all owners. At $600 this topper seems way overpriced for what you get so it looks like Stern is building in the software development cost for the unique mode.

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

They cut off pinbrowser because idiots were selling bootleg pin browser mods for money out of shoddy tents at high profile events like Replay FX.

#61 3 years ago

First stranger things. Now JP. I can only imagine what you’ll have to pay to unlock for TMNT.

Fuck stern.

#62 3 years ago

How come their damn website always says sold out.. very damn annoying.

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

First stranger things. Now JP. I can only imagine what you’ll have to pay to unlock for TMNT.
Fuck stern.

Add-on subway system?

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

How come their damn website always says sold out.. very damn annoying.

they want you to hit up distributors

#65 3 years ago

That expensive Rick and Morty topper looks nicer...

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Does anyone know anyone who actually bought one?
...anyone who will admit it, that is.

Take a look at the SW Topper thread. It all starts out as rage and anger and then acceptance, and then pride in ownership.

Once again can't blame Stern at all.

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Take a look at the SW Topper thread. It all starts out as rage and anger and then acceptance, and then pride in ownership.
Once again can't blame Stern at all.

Im not angry about Star Wars topper, but its really kind of crappy for the price. All it does is whistle and go around. Could have done much better job for the price. Black Knight on the other hand is impressive.

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Im not angry about Star Wars topper, but its really kind of crappy for the price. All it does is whistle and go around. Could have done much better job for the price.

Yep...sounds great

Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Ok I’ve owned a lot of pinball stuff over the years including all sorts of mods etc, this item is that crapiest piece of junk I have ever bought I feel so ripped off and the worse part is I can’t return it without loosing some of my money . How can they mess up a Star Wars item !?

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

they want you to hit up distributors

Was this a pun?

#70 3 years ago

I don't see what the fuss here is... I think it's really cool and if I had a JP, I'd buy one in an instant. The things people complain about... The only thing Stern has done lately that I think is BS is the UV kit for Stranger Things. This though? What's the BFD?

Jeff

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They cut off pinbrowser because idiots were selling bootleg pin browser mods for money out of shoddy tents at high profile events like Replay FX.

Next to the Stern stand.

I did wonder if Stern would retaliate against that.

Am I right in thinking this is a carry over feature just like Gottlieb did back in the 1950's??

Used as an extra cherry for location players.

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I like toppers but I'm not a fan of ones that just replicate a logo that is already plastered all over the artwork, cabinet, and backglass.

THIS.

#73 3 years ago

This is the issue I see with it (assuming the mode is gameplay related): Until now it seemed understood that all buyers of a machine got all gameplay code that was produced to work on their version of the machine. Selling additional code (whether or not it's packaged with a topper or something else) seems to represent a change in that fundamental seller-customer understanding. I don't think it's a good change.

And it's not a good trend Stern has started with Stranger Things and now JP by revealing the machine and selling it without disclosing additional cost features they already know they're going to sell after the machine has been for sale for awhile.

#74 3 years ago

I love how everyone is out raged over a mode they didnt know existed until a few hours ago. JP3 has so much freaking modes and code in it, I highly doubt a single person in here complaining their game isn't "complete" has finished everything JP3 has to offer.

#75 3 years ago

If this hiding of features behind paywalls is the way of the future in pinball then my interest in the hobby is going to come to an abrupt end. I could kind of justify the Stranger Things UV feature as a way of making something cool available that might have been cost cut out and otherwise not going to be available.

This topper DLC has no justification other than the continued milking of the customer. I fully get and support they are a business looking to make money, but at some point respect for your customer has to be part of the equation. For me this is where they crossed the line.

The double kick to the crotch is that the topper itself is uninspired and half assed. The triple kick to the crotch is the 600USD price. Three different ways to flip the middle finger to your customer in one topper. It's almost impressive.

This is coming from a big Stern fan and supporter who even owns the Star Wars topper. Hoped for more from them.

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

I love how everyone is out raged over a mode they didnt know existed until a few hours ago. JP3 has so much freaking modes and code in it, I highly doubt a single person in here complaining their game isn't "complete" has finished everything JP3 has to offer.

Ever heard the term “slippery slope”?

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

The double kick to the crotch is that the topper itself is uninspired and half assed.

Preach! Looks like it was designed by a marketing department. I would only pay big money for a topper as creative as the game itself (high bar in this case).

#78 3 years ago

Somewhere in a galaxy far, far away, R2D2 is smiling because suddenly he isn’t the worst rip off ever.

#79 3 years ago

taking a page from Crazylevi's book.

jfzebq4dq7z11 (resized).jpgjfzebq4dq7z11 (resized).jpg
#80 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

taking a page from Crazylevi's book.
[quoted image]

62e636da150874e02befefc32948c4d0 (resized).jpg62e636da150874e02befefc32948c4d0 (resized).jpg
#81 3 years ago

Ahh.. a Futurama pin.. I would get it.

#82 3 years ago

Next up commercials in between balls.

Don’t worry you can pay extra to skip them.

#83 3 years ago

Well, that's how you sell a stupid topper - add a mode tied to it.

Brilliant idea for them. And they know, regardless of any commotion on Pinside, they will sell 'em out.

#84 3 years ago

have to say that this doesn't feel like good value and for a game that wins all the awards it doesn't feel fitting.

#85 3 years ago

I have concluded that Pinside has no influence on Stern's decisions.

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from newtoit:

Besides Iron Maiden

#87 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Ever heard the term “slippery slope”?

Everyone complained stern toppers didnt add anything to the machine other then a few extra lights. Everyone said they were over priced pieces of plastic that did nothing, well they are over priced pieces of plastic that add modes to games and people are still unhappy.

#88 3 years ago

Stern just released a press statement about the topper:

https://www.captiongenerator.com/1870042/Stern-press-release

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 1.17.03 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-04 at 1.17.03 PM (resized).png
#89 3 years ago

You have to spell out Jurassic Park on the topper? It carries over from game to game? Mustang did that...you spelled out M-u-s-t-a-n-g to get a special multiball. Cool idea when you had multiple players...playing. Spelling out Mustang by yourself was boring.

Lets see, 600 bucks, which topper should I get?????

101870870_10100811205395185_1927757304434786304_n (resized).jpg101870870_10100811205395185_1927757304434786304_n (resized).jpgmmrtopper (resized).pngmmrtopper (resized).png
#90 3 years ago
Quoted from newtoit:

Pinside does influence if I buy a Stern pin or not.

#91 3 years ago
Quoted from newtoit:

BS. A bunch of Pinsiders spent 3-5 years ago saying “I’ll only buy a game from now on if Lyman is on code”. Now he only codes $8k games. They heard Pinside and made him a premium feature at your expense.

#92 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Pinside does influence if I buy a Stern pin or not.

The only thing that should determine if you buy a game, is you playing the machine and deciding if you like and would like to own it.

#93 3 years ago

The good news is...we got some drama and news to finally talk about.

The bad news...all those podcasters coming up with ideas to make stern more money is finally coming to fruition.

#94 3 years ago

There’s gotta be some way to rig it by plugging in the same connectors right?

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

“I’ll only buy a game from now on if Lyman is on code”. Now he only codes $8k games. They heard Pinside and made him a premium feature at your expense.

Yea that didn't go unnoticed here. Last game we'd bought before Maiden was TWD. Elwin's games made up for Lyman's exclusive role on the premium titles and we felt they were worth the money, but these new shenanigans are another turn-off towards buying Sterns titles.

#96 3 years ago

I remember when those horrible playfield pegs came out.

'We will not buy NIB ever again'.

Sigh.

Pinside doesn't have as big an influence as it thinks it does - unfortunately in this case.

#97 3 years ago

Except the pegs eventually went away. Someone at Stern got tired of fielding calls for damaged underplayfield components

#98 3 years ago

I JUST WANT THE DAMN SHOOTER KNOB!!

#99 3 years ago

I'm glad DLC is available to those that want it.

#100 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

The only thing that should determine if you buy a game, is you playing the machine and deciding if you like and would like to own it.

How the Stern treats people after the sale and the quality of the machines are major factors. Stern fails on both counts in my book and I will not support them with my dollars until both improve, regardless of how "fun" the pin is.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Mequon, WI
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com
Decals
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 49.99
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
JURASSIC PARK PRO Pre-order!
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
$ 130.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Inver Grove Heights, MN
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
There are 936 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/topper-dlc-stern-s-new-low/page/2?hl=evh347 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.