20200617_141947 (resized).jpg
E1FEC3D8-89BB-478C-9EF2-A633A4FD0C2D (resized).jpeg
Playstrong.Mask_1070x1070_crop_center (resized).jpg
a2e37a651941b80cf648adc1cb6e9cf50ed8bf5e (resized).jpeg
EC5F2EA7-44F6-4B8E-B621-392580A526CE (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
6F2771F9-46D5-425D-A174-EEF12089D80C (resized).jpeg
A979EA87-9729-4160-9A4D-4E1ED63426C4 (resized).png

There are 936 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 19.
#801 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Where is my Jurassic park topper? Mikey wants!

$600....and lotsa goats too....!
FE1527B8-B4E7-447D-B73B-08EF28A0553E (resized).jpegFE1527B8-B4E7-447D-B73B-08EF28A0553E (resized).jpeg

#802 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Dear lord.
It's not DLC. It's not some paradigm shift that warrants a pearl-clutching thread like this.
It's a TOPPER. Why is this getting bungled and confused by the clueless masses?
You are buying a topper. The cheesy mode nobody likes and nobody wants is just a "value add" that was probably some cutting room floor nonsense that didn't make it into the game.
Stop pretending it's DLC. It's not. It's like when people pay up for a "KISS Silver VIP" concert package. It's $500 for a front floor seat. That's what you are paying for. The other garbage (exclusive VIP gift! (key chain), Special VIP KISS Lanyard! Crowd Free shopping opportunity! Exclusive VIP Tote Bag!) is all useless crap that's not worth anything and you don't really want any of it, it's just there to help you rationalize your purchases of a $500 KISS concert ticket.
Just like this.
Not DLC. A topper. If you think it's worth $600 and you want it, buy it. Ain't nobody dumb enough (i hope) to think they are paying for Goat Mania.

Wrong. Its DLC to a tee. Additional unlocks, be it a physical topper you have to buy or a simple paywall in a video game. As in, this built in mode is there, already, but we will unlock for a fee. Thats DLC to a tee. And worthy of shame on Sterns part, not like they care of course.

#803 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

True dat. Unfortunately, the graphic Gorgar supplied (although it came from the Tilttopper website) really doesn't come close to conveying how great that topper is. You can keep your damn goats (I've already got "more goats" selected in the game, so I'm good)...I agree the Tilttopper is the best one.

....I so badly wanted the Gorgar topper at the time....traded it....miss it....

#804 3 years ago
Quoted from calprog:

The best topper for JP hands down!!!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Is that light from the LEDS....can you please post pics in green....

#805 3 years ago

Guys you're doing it all wrong. We should be encouraging the whales to buy this topper. Make it a huge success for Stern. That way they won't put any more effort into the next topper and wont make the DLC component any better than this throw away Goat fest mode.

In fact if Stern's track record is anything to go by, if this topper is successful they'll start stripping stuff out. Next topper might only unlock a bonus Steve Ritchie call-out. "Hey Whale boy.....Nice topper."

Even better, they'll start hiding UV paint in the next topper.

#806 3 years ago
Quoted from gblack:

If we're comparing the two at a low price point i'd say the second one. The Stern looks much better than both of those IMO.

Yes, I agree...but I got both of them JP toppers and a Williams Logo topper for $550....

#807 3 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Is it weird to feel like I'm not missing out on the topper or the mode?

Given your locale, no.

#808 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Guys you're doing it all wrong. We should be encouraging the whales to buy this topper. Make it a huge success for Stern. That way they won't put any more effort into the next topper and wont make the DLC component any better than this throw away Goat fest mode.
In fact if Stern's track record is anything to go by, if this topper is successful they'll start stripping stuff out. Next topper might only unlock a bonus Steve Ritchie call-out. "Hey Whale boy.....Nice topper."
Even better, they'll start hiding UV paint in the next topper.

Hell, lets go all the way. Buy the physical, dream theme pin for 7000 large, then Stern requires you to pay $1.00 per game, but they get a cut for licensing the code installed. I mean, they sold you a product, a physical product. Now if you want to play its modes, that'll cost ya a buck. That seems to be some kneelers thought process.

#809 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I agree...but what happened to the letters at the end of "Jurassic" on your sign?
I went with the green trim to match the LE...you can't really appreciate it until you see the video with the flickering lights and slow pulsing light behind the dinosaur...
[quoted image]

Im sold

#810 3 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Which is better...

I actually think the Laseriffic one would look much better if the upper acrylic was cut to the contour of the etched artwork instead of having the visible squared off top. SEE MY CRAPPTASTIC MOCK UP

5f948af8df9e0b993d82d3259edabaee67a95211.jpeg (resized).jpg5f948af8df9e0b993d82d3259edabaee67a95211.jpeg (resized).jpgLRT (resized).jpgLRT (resized).jpg
#811 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Imagine if Stern marketed this topper as an expansion for the game alongside a video trailer with 5 new objective based modes that each contain unique assets (music, sounds, animations, etc). Now that’s how to provide value to your customers and market a $600 topper. That type of approach could have created a lot of sales. However, Stern did the opposite and instead created a single mode that is in my opinion so minimally coded and mindless that they should be embarrassed.

Charge for something the complainers REALLY want and watch them complain even more.

At the end of the day its not lack of value that is the rub here- its that its not given for free. Anything not that is Stern is horrible because people would get software improvements for free before this. Anything NOT that would bring out the pitchforks

Nothing short of that is gonna change their mind.

#812 3 years ago

Clearly this is a pretty half-arsed DLC effort from Stern. At the end of the day it's just a ludicrously expensive topper.

But if they did actually introduce some sort of DLC for games whereby you had to pay for updates etc, I would seriously stop buying NIB Sterns. Written here for posterity.

On the other hand, if they were to offer a completely new (ie from the ground up) game code experience 2 years after release , I would definitely pay. For example, completely new Metallica or Iron Man code.

So it's a fine line. But that doesn't keep the Stern production line moving, so its highly unlikely.

My dream would be a manufacturer making code open-source after a period of time. With the amount of skill and passion in this community it would breath new life into some awesome games. Also unlikely for a number of reasons.

#813 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Clearly this is a pretty half-arsed DLC effort from Stern. At the end of the day it's just a ludicrously expensive topper.
But if they did actually introduce some sort of DLC for games whereby you had to pay for updates etc, I would seriously stop buying NIB Sterns. Written here for posterity.
On the other hand, if they were to offer a completely new (ie from the ground up) game code experience 2 years after release , I would definitely pay. For example, completely new Metallica or Iron Man code.
So it's a fine line. But that doesn't keep the Stern production line moving, so its highly unlikely.
My dream would be a manufacturer making code open-source after a period of time. With the amount of skill and passion in this community it would breath new life into some awesome games. Also unlikely for a number of reasons.

Uh, with people like Levi and Flynn, its guaranteed to happen, and it wont just be with Stern. Think Airline prices and baggage. They are all kinda the same, but boy, when one does something (Charge extra for bags, or restrict carry-ons) they ALL jump on board. Some people are just too short sighted to understand. Again, Sterns perfect buyers.

#814 3 years ago

The last NIB pinball machine I bough they gave me a topper for free.
That machine does also have downloadable content where they keep adding new modes and adventures on a regular basis (it’s called code updates).
All I have to pay for is a USB memory stick.

#815 3 years ago

This is me now saying an extra BIG THANKYOU to spooky for the free Rick n Morty topper!

#816 3 years ago
Quoted from Cantabkiwi:

This is me now saying an extra BIG THANKYOU to spooky for the free Rick n Morty topper!

With the price for the Rick n Morty games, this would also be equivalent of Stern LE owners getting the topper included with an LE

#817 3 years ago

Where is my JP tawpuh?

#818 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Wrong. Its DLC to a tee. Additional unlocks, be it a physical topper you have to buy or a simple paywall in a video game. As in, this built in mode is there, already, but we will unlock for a fee. Thats DLC to a tee.

This. Anyone who denies it is DLC is just fooling themselves.

#819 3 years ago

How could this be DLC? You don’t have to download anything?!?

CC007444-41A7-4FFD-9C2D-F54039276C24 (resized).jpegCC007444-41A7-4FFD-9C2D-F54039276C24 (resized).jpeg
#820 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

How could this be DLC? You don’t have to download anything?!?[quoted image]

How could it be a pinball machine if there are no pins?

Can we vote to call them slingball since games still have slings?

#821 3 years ago

I wish distributors would not use USPS for more expensive items like toppers. They always get delayed and not well handled. Last time my Star Wars topper box took a beating by them. They just dont care about whats in the box.

#822 3 years ago

A bigger picture than DLC; it would be interesting to see a Pro-to-Premium-Upgrade package.

#823 3 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I actually think the Laseriffic one would look much better if the upper acrylic was cut to the contour of the etched artwork instead of having the visible squared off top. SEE MY CRAPPTASTIC MOCK UP

Wow, you are so right.

#824 3 years ago
Quoted from RockfordReplay:

A bigger picture than DLC; it would be interesting to see a Pro-to-Premium-Upgrade package.

Why not just buy the premium?

#825 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

How could it be a pinball machine if there are no pins?
Can we vote to call them slingball since games still have slings?

Surely since you put pinball balls in the machine, it is a pinball machine

#826 3 years ago

Yea, there are circumstances where selling a Pro to buy a Premium may be better value. Perhaps most.

Update packages need not be provided by the manufacturer. Example: Modfather designs an improved package that rivals the original.

#827 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I wish distributors would not use USPS for more expensive items like toppers. They always get delayed and not well handled.

#828 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I wish distributors would not use USPS for more expensive items like toppers. They always get delayed and not well handled. Last time my Star Wars topper box took a beating by them. They just dont care about whats in the box.

It might hurt, but seeing what came out of the SW topper boxes I think the company making them did not care much either...

#829 3 years ago
Quoted from RockfordReplay:

Yea, there are circumstances where selling a Pro to buy a Premium may be better value. Perhaps most.
Update packages need not be provided by the manufacturer. Example: Modfather designs an improved package that rivals the original.

How are mod people going to make a T. Rex on JP premium or the van that loads and releases balls on TMNT?

#830 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

How are mod people going to make a T. Rex on JP premium or the van that loads and releases balls on TMNT?

I suppose I could send requests; asking how they would perform those tasks. I won't.

#831 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Uh, with people like Levi and Flynn, its guaranteed to happen, and it wont just be with Stern. Think Airline prices and baggage. They are all kinda the same, but boy, when one does something (Charge extra for bags, or restrict carry-ons) they ALL jump on board. Some people are just too short sighted to understand. Again, Sterns perfect buyers.

Im not a buyer for this. The value isnt there for me.

But I understand the commercial model and acknowledge it's wide valid use... not try to justify my dislike for the offer by trying to vilify stern as some monsters... or make up some realities to try to justify my dislike.

I know exactly where this leads... but i also know toddler temper tantrums is not how you influence commercial activity.

Speak with your wallet - not with creative writing

You don't makeup new realities to justify something. Logic needs to hold up to all tenses

#832 3 years ago
Quoted from calprog:

The best topper for JP hands down!!!

It might be the best, but it's not THE ULTIMATE!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ultimate-jurassic-park-topper

ultimatetopper (resized).jpgultimatetopper (resized).jpg
#833 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

How could this be DLC? You don’t have to download anything?!?[quoted image]

Ummm, disc locked content. As in its already present in code/disk, but requires additional payment to access.

#834 3 years ago

HuhHuh

The topper in this instance is a total duplication of the backglass. It's bad enough when they just put the title on it again. Who likes this nonsense?

#835 3 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Which is better...

Trick question, they both look like shit.
I would rather spent that many monies on bread and feed it to ducks.

#836 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

[quoted image]
The topper in this instance is a total duplication of the backglass. It's bad enough when they just put the title on it again. Who likes this nonsense?

No LEDS behind the Jeep...

#837 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

[quoted image]

Well yeah but it's got an actual jeep and that was really important to people.

Also, why is the jeep so prominent? It's the focus of the entire topper! Like...I didn't realize that most people think "jeep" when they think of that movie. I probably would have gone with a dinosaur. People can't get enough of dinosaurs.

There's a reason people will pay the big money for the official product instead of the knockoff. It will match the game.

#838 3 years ago

My tawpuh shipped today! Yay

#839 3 years ago

I want to see pics of every angle of it where you get it. Probably easiest to post here.

#840 3 years ago

There are some people on this thread that must not have ever walked by a skylanders display in a retail store.

The gaming industry readily agrees that combining a physical item with any sort of unlocking of feature is DLC.

You can argue against that all you want, but you are still wrong.

#841 3 years ago
Quoted from Genjuro:

There are some people on this thread that must not have ever walked by a skylanders display in a retail store.
The gaming industry readily agrees that combining a physical item with any sort of unlocking of feature is DLC.

What does a Skylander game cost, serious question.

#842 3 years ago
Quoted from Genjuro:

You are smoking crack to compare a 150 game with addons to a 9000 pin. Get real.

#843 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

You are smoking crack to compare a 150 game with addons to a 9000 pin. Get real.

He’s not comparing the two. He’s just making a statement that the term ‘DLC’ is used loosely as a way of saying you have to pay money for a game you already paid for to unlock some sort of mode, perk, etc... i.e. JP2 topper.

#844 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

My tawpuh shipped today! Yay

Please post video of your GOAT mode.

#845 3 years ago
Quoted from Cantabkiwi:

Was it free... or was it part of your fang club membership?

Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Doesn't matter WHO you use... they are treating shipments like that.
Don't get me started how UPS has screwed me twice at their fu-xup and the first was "customer packed" issue. (lies - computer in original box)... and right now I have an open claim on bent Stern Armor. I'm not convinced they aren't going to claim the same "customer packing issue" when they likely drove a truck over it. Apparently; you need to crate everything and pay 100s over for the weight to protect anything from their shipping goons.

To be protected from UPS... you have to have them pack it in their store for a very high fee... then pay retail which is twice the cost of wholesale... and pray they don't have some boiler plate language in the two pages of fine print. Just yesterday; I tried shipping a 23 pound box of stern armor to a customer using UPS Store. 3Day select for this package was 104USD. I took it home and printed the same label using my Stamps.com via UPS account... it was 49USD to ship the same package, same value, same 3day select.

Trust no one. Expect failure.

#846 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Was it free... or was it part of your fang club membership?

Doesn't matter WHO you use... they are treating shipments like that.
Don't get me started how UPS has screwed me twice at their fu-xup and the first was "customer packed" issue. (lies - computer in original box)... and right now I have an open claim on bent Stern Armor. I'm not convinced they aren't going to claim the same "customer packing issue" when they likely drove a truck over it. Apparently; you need to crate everything and pay 100s over for the weight to protect anything from their shipping goons.
To be protected from UPS... you have to have them pack it in their store for a very high fee... then pay retail which is twice the cost of wholesale... and pray they don't have some boiler plate language in the two pages of fine print. Just yesterday; I tried shipping a 23 pound box of stern armor to a customer using UPS Store. 3Day select for this package was 104USD. I took it home and printed the same label using my Stamps.com via UPS account... it was 49USD to ship the same package, same value, same 3day select.
Trust no one. Expect failure.

Mine was supposed to come Wednesday now it’s still in transit so far went from Illinois to Pittsburgh and I’m in Michigan doesn’t make sense . Oh well.. what can u do , oh yeah don’t use usps

Oh and never use ups store I think they are franchises and have very high prices

#847 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Please post video of your GOAT mode.

Fuel for their fires. Everyone should experience it in some form.

You receive (x) number of Goat-Mode flips (shown with an icon on the right side of the display). Each flip reduces the number by 1 while providing Mode Score Bonus and a "baaaa" until the flips are depleted.

#848 3 years ago

I tell ya what is worse than the price of the topper is getting a straight answer from Stern in regards to the availability of their toppers.

I sent 2 really nice emails to their web site asking when they will be releasing the JP topper, as well as the BK topper I ordered months ago. Stern was always good to me in regards to answering my emails, but they’ve been giving me the silent treatment in regards to this matter. Yeah I know the Corona virus screwed up their production, but they sure look like they’re full steam ahead on getting the turtles shipments ready. I don’t know, it just seems it would be a whole lot easier building toppers than a pinball machine, but what do I know.

I bought the JP Topper because I think it looks nice, plus history tells us Stern toppers are really hard to find later on if you’re not one of the initial buyers. What can I say. I had a stressful day at work and I said “Screw It” and called Zach at FlipNOut and ordered one from him. I’m sure if I kept the 600 bucks it would have went to something else that will be forgotten in a couple of years.

#849 3 years ago
Quoted from Indypin:

I tell ya what is worse than the price of the topper is getting a straight answer from Stern in regards to the availability of their toppers.
I sent 2 really nice emails to their web site asking when they will be releasing the JP topper, as well as the BK topper I ordered months ago. Stern was always good to me in regards to answering my emails, but they’ve been giving me the silent treatment in regards to this matter. Yeah I know the Corona virus screwed up their production, but they sure look like they’re full steam ahead on getting the turtles shipments ready. I don’t know, it just seems it would be a whole lot easier building toppers than a pinball machine, but what do I know.
I bought the JP Topper because I think it looks nice, plus history tells us Stern toppers are really hard to find later on if you’re not one of the initial buyers. What can I say. I had a stressful day at work and I said “Screw It” and called Zach at FlipNOut and ordered one from him. I’m sure if I kept the 600 bucks it would have went to something else that will be forgotten in a couple of years.

Good luck getting one. I ordered one over a week ago and haven’t got it due to stern not sending out to all distributors that ordered the first batch I guess?

#850 3 years ago

wait, what is JURASSK PARK?

A979EA87-9729-4160-9A4D-4E1ED63426C4 (resized).pngA979EA87-9729-4160-9A4D-4E1ED63426C4 (resized).pngCAE8F474-EE3A-44F3-BA62-499AA8983135 (resized).pngCAE8F474-EE3A-44F3-BA62-499AA8983135 (resized).png
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.00
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
RavSpec
Other
9,151 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Littleton, CO
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, IL
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks
Other
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation
Decals
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
$ 50.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, NJ
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinhead mods
Other
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop
Under cabinet
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 936 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/topper-dlc-stern-s-new-low/page/17?hl=rockfordreplay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.