20200617_141947 (resized).jpg
E1FEC3D8-89BB-478C-9EF2-A633A4FD0C2D (resized).jpeg
Playstrong.Mask_1070x1070_crop_center (resized).jpg
a2e37a651941b80cf648adc1cb6e9cf50ed8bf5e (resized).jpeg
EC5F2EA7-44F6-4B8E-B621-392580A526CE (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
6F2771F9-46D5-425D-A174-EEF12089D80C (resized).jpeg
A979EA87-9729-4160-9A4D-4E1ED63426C4 (resized).png
There are 936 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 19.
#602 3 years ago

What are you so upset about? The price or the fact that they tried to add some perceived value with more code?

#603 3 years ago

This is a limited edition if i’m not wrong.
And there is other topper as cool as this one unfortunately.

#604 3 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Or buy one of these. Problem solved.

Now you've done it... Stern will probably send them a letter!

Quoted from TKDalumni:

What are you so upset about? The price or the fact that they tried to add some perceived value with more code?

There is no perceived value in CHEATING buyers of their LE games out of the best version, or new code. This is the new low of Stern. Guys they don't care about their customers, they only care about how they can now fleece passion based group of every cent they have. Very sad!

Someone please tell me why all their new LE games only have lollipop armor when before (Star Trek - Game of Thrones - Star Wars - Batman list goes on) got the very side armor on LE. Now they give you teh standard lollipop then 10 minutes later release the cool stuff for almost another $300.00 bucks.

Why don't you get the ball shooter rod for $9200? Why don't you get the topper or any topper for $9200? Why don't you get a ball troff flap to keep the balls from falling out like JJP for $9200?

Why can't Stern update their back end system to full color like JJP for $9200 per game?

C'mon stop kneeling before the GODS OF PINBALL and demand more for your money!

Common sense!

#605 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

C'mon stop kneeling before the GODS OF PINBALL and demand more for your money!
Common sense!

You first.

#606 3 years ago

Unlike you I'm standing up to them right NOW! They just hit the new low!

Let me add one more nugget...

YO STERN... does it bother you in the least bit that your LE games are now selling for a lot less than NIB price? I see on the market Stranger Things LE 7750 that is a big hit for a game almost brand new! Black Knight LE 7200 wow that game is virtually new. We also see Munster LE going in the 6800 range, that has to be concerning.

When we look at JJP WOZ games they're holding strong 8 years later in the 8000 range. When we look at POTC OMG they've gone nuts 15k for a game someone paid 9500 for...

Maybe you should take a bit more pride in your LE games and LOAD THEM UP so they hold their value more. IF JP came with the topper, ball shoot and kick ass side blade art they would be going for 10k right now because no one would want to sell them.

Why buy an LE over a Premium if there is hardly no difference? Anyone can powder coat some lollipop armor for $125.

Oh but you dont' get that high valued Gary Stern autograph oh well that is the deal breaker right there.

STERN your LE machines should include:

1) Color Coded flippers, buttons, rubbers
2) Topper
3) Unique ball rod shooter
4) Unique side armor
5) Inviglass
6) Mirror Back Glass
7) Different Artwork
8) Powder coating
9) Sideblade art or mirrors
10) AUTOGRAPH OF GARY STERN

AT THE VERY LEAST all these things SHOULD BE INCLUDED

Why can Chicago Gaming do virtually all these things and more but you can't? You're not a leader in innovation you're the leader and making money. Good for you!

#607 3 years ago

If you're disappointed about missing out on a mode (as I was), watch that topper unboxing video. Rest easy.

#608 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

10) AUTOGRAPH OF GARY STERN

Pass. Might as well get their investment banker's autograph. Design team or GTFO.

#609 3 years ago

"I see on the market Stranger Things LE 7750 that is a big hit for a game almost brand new! Black Knight LE 7200 wow that game is virtually new. We also see Munster LE going in the 6800 range, that has to be concerning."

To be fair, you've selected the three games that have been the least well received in the last five years. The same cannot be said for a number of more desirable Stern titles.

#610 3 years ago

You also have to consider what they actually paid for their LE. Not such a big hit if the game cost them 8300-8500.

#611 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Maybe you should take a bit more pride in your LE games and LOAD THEM UP so they hold their value more.

Why should they care if their games hold their value? It doesn't make them any more money. You should probably not buy Stern games anymore. It's taking WAY too much of a toll on your emotional state. Who cares about this crap, really? Buy it or don't buy it. WHY ARE WE STILL TALKING ABOUT THIS???

I'm going downstairs to install my overpriced, ultra-cool Stern shooter rod on my overpriced, ultra-cool Stranger Things LE. Then I'm going to continue to play the hell out of that thing because that game is far better than most people around here give it credit for (because they judge it on day one code and streaming gameplay of a pro...then can't admit they might have been wrong).

One day, I'll sell it...probably for a $2000 loss--or even more. And I won't be bothered at all because I know that the game gave me $2000 worth of fun during the years that I had it.

Conversely, I sold my MBrLE in only 6 months and took a beating on it...over $1000 lost. Why? Because it was a great game, but it was too easy and I finished it that fast. That doesn't mean CGC is overpricing their machines.

It's all a matter of perspective. Go play some pinball.

#612 3 years ago

Is it really sold out or just out of stock. I betcha they will make more. Thats what Ive noticed with all their add on stuff. Always sold out right when they announce it then takes 4-6 months to actually get one.

#613 3 years ago

Your right I'm going to play some pinball and cool down! I'm going to go play my JJP Pirates that cost $9500 and now the value has skyrocketed because JJP puts more into their games. No wants to sell their Wizards their Pirates because the games are now collector pins.

I'd just really like to see STERN JUST ONE TIME in the modern era of pinball try and BEAT JJP just once. If they do you'll see that game hold its value forever! I'd like to see Stern update their backend to COLOR like JJP. I want that ball flap why don't we see that? Bring back the cool side armor for Stern games on LE machines. Make it at least appear that you CARE about your customers and not just trying to take advantage of their passion.

Stern has mastered the art now of taking MILKING THE COW. Leave no doubt about that. If Stern cared about the Aerosmith customers they'd license 'Dream On' right now and update the code to include the song? Right? They didn't licence that song because of $100 per game additional cost ... so we got left with a pinball based on a band that doesn't feature their best song ever. Sad.

Question... if Stern released JP with that topper, extra mode, ball shooter, kick ass side armor ... what would that game be selling for right now?

I'll take a stab $2000 over what you paid because no one would sell their game.

People on this site care so much about the values of the games then demand Stern do it right the first time.

Why Stern should care is clear... if the prices of those LE machines drop like a rock and quickly people will stop buying them, wait of the sucker to buy and sell later for 2k less for a game with 200 plays. See the point. Make these games the GOLD STANDARD STERN!

#614 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Why don't you get the ball shooter rod for $9200?

Wow you didn't get a shooter rod with your game? I'd be pissed too, but might have just been an oversight, like a while back where someone got a game without a ball trough.

Quoted from drfrightner:

I'd just really like to see STERN JUST ONE TIME in the modern era of pinball try and BEAT JJP

Stern: I sold this game for 9k, so i have 9k in my bank account now.
JJP: I sold this game for 8k but people who bought it from me now sell it for 13k!
Stern: So how much do you have in your bank account now?
JJP: 8k?
Stern: Shit you beat me again, just once I wish i could outwit you! *shakes fist at the sky*

#615 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Unlike you I'm standing up to them right NOW! They just hit the new low!

I'm glad you've finally wised up.
Point of order though, as you already know you are the one that's been funding their greed the whole time not me...a humble pro buyer.

#616 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Your right I'm going to play some pinball and cool down! I'm going to go play my JJP Pirates that cost $9500 and now the value has skyrocketed because JJP puts more into their games. No wants to sell their Wizards their Pirates because the games are now collector pins.
I'd just really like to see STERN JUST ONE TIME in the modern era of pinball try and BEAT JJP just once. If they do you'll see that game hold its value forever! I'd like to see Stern update their backend to COLOR like JJP. I want that ball flap why don't we see that? Bring back the cool side armor for Stern games on LE machines. Make it at least appear that you CARE about your customers and not just trying to take advantage of their passion.
Stern has mastered the art now of taking MILKING THE COW. Leave no doubt about that. If Stern cared about the Aerosmith customers they'd license 'Dream On' right now and update the code to include the song? Right? They didn't licence that song because of $100 per game additional cost ... so we got left with a pinball based on a band that doesn't feature their best song ever. Sad.
Question... if Stern released JP with that topper, extra mode, ball shooter, kick ass side armor ... what would that game be selling for right now?
I'll take a stab $2000 over what you paid because no one would sell their game.
People on this site care so much about the values of the games then demand Stern do it right the first time.
Why Stern should care is clear... if the prices of those LE machines drop like a rock and quickly people will stop buying them, wait of the sucker to buy and sell later for 2k less for a game with 200 plays. See the point. Make these games the GOLD STANDARD STERN!

You're in this hobby for entirely the wrong reason, my friend. Hobbies are for enjoyment, and hobbies cost money. Pinball isn't an investment. I've known a couple of guys like you, and I'm really not trying to be mean, but I wish people like you would just leave the hobby. It really sucks the joy out of the room when you have other people that are passionate about all things pinball just because it's pinball--not because it can make them money down the road.

#617 3 years ago

I got the Cointaker JP Jeep Topper. I’m going to replace the Map Off Road vehicle with the Jeep as well. Fuck it.

#618 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You're in this hobby for entirely the wrong reason, my friend. Hobbies are for enjoyment, and hobbies cost money. Pinball isn't an investment. I've known a couple of guys like you, and I'm really not trying to be mean, but I wish people like you would just leave the hobby. It really sucks the joy out of the room when you have other people that are passionate about all things pinball just because it's pinball--not because it can make them money down the road.

On point.

#619 3 years ago

Funny how some of these upper middle class collectors will drop $10k on a family vacation without batting an eyelash, but "losing" $1k on their "investment" of a pinball machine is a travesty. Spoiler alert: you "lose" every penny you spend on vacation.

#620 3 years ago

I didn't even address the "holding value" angle because it's so fucking idiotic.

#621 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Funny how some of these upper middle class collectors will drop $10k on a family vacation without batting an eyelash, but "losing" $1k on their "investment" of a pinball machine is a travesty. Spoiler alert: you "lose" every penny you spend on vacation.

This is a new development. Back in the old days (10 years ago) most pinball folks expected to lose about 25 percent of their game‘s value when they opened the box.

Now the very idea is abhorrent to many, and I don’t understand why. Everything else you buy suffers the same kind of depreciation.

If you can’t afford to lose a few bucks on a brand new pinball machine you shouldn’t buy one. If you don’t want to “lose” money on new games, stop buying them. Stick with used.

#622 3 years ago

I find it amazing that anyone would be willing to buy a modern used pin for new price. I can accept if you just missed out on an LE and your willing to overpay to make someone sell. You see people trying to sell Pros for what they paid including the tax, like it's appreciated because they opened it for you, its insane.

#623 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

I'd just really like to see STERN JUST ONE TIME in the modern era of pinball try and BEAT JJP just once. If they do you'll see that game hold its value forever! I'd like to see Stern update their backend to COLOR like JJP.

Stern is beating JJP's ass with almost every game they bring out so they're already giving you your money's worth!

#624 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I find it amazing that anyone would be willing to buy a modern used pin for new price. I can accept if you just missed out on an LE and your willing to overpay to make someone sell. You see people trying to sell Pros for what they paid including the tax, like it's appreciated because they opened it for you, its insane.

I blame people new to the hobby that joined right as Stern's price raising started to get out of control. It was trivial to flip a game because everything was skyrocketing as supply couldn't keep up with demand. Sell a used game for what you paid for it because the new games have gone up a couple hundred in the past year or two.

Now the supply and demand seems more even. But there will always be people who ask for a lot. (You can always lower your asking price, but raising it is difficult)

#625 3 years ago

I dont agree with about 90% of what Crazylevi says on pinside but he's been making a whole lot of sense on this thread. For all this uproar one would think the mode would be the second coming of pinball and instead its some goat mode. If people want to spend $600 on a goat mode then power to them. A fool and his money are easily parted.

#626 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Your right I'm going to play some pinball and cool down!

I was being quite kind with my previous post. In all actuality, he lost me at "your."

#627 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is a new development. Back in the old days (10 years ago) most pinball folks expected to lose about 25 percent of their game‘s value when they opened the box.
Now the very idea is abhorrent to many, and I don’t understand why. Everything else you buy suffers the same kind of depreciation.
If you can’t afford to lose a few bucks on a brand new pinball machine you shouldn’t buy one. If you don’t want to “lose” money on new games, stop buying them. Stick with used.

25% ten years ago was only a thousand dollars but even then that isn't true because if it were I would like to know where I can buy a $3000 Tron?

#628 3 years ago

Everything associated with pinball is expensive....is $600 pricey for a topper....yep, but who really cares whether u paid $300 or $600....when u drop $9K (LE) on a game spending an extra $600 is nothing...my guess is they didn't make very many and it will become somewhat scarce therefore pricey in the long run

#629 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

25% ten years ago was only a thousand dollars but even then that isn't true because if it were I would like to know where I can buy a $3000 Tron?

The prices went up...

#630 3 years ago
Quoted from Novastorm:

The prices went up...

That's my point, I can't remember any time in the last decade people were losing 25% on NIB pins. $4400 MET, don't worry Stern raised it's prices so it's now worth $4400 used.

#631 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I do see a lot of pros come up (especially on kijiji) for more than nib if you take into account any available league discounts.

#632 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Everything associated with pinball is expensive....is $600 pricey for a topper....yep, but who really cares whether u paid $300 or $600....when u drop $9K (LE) on a game spending an extra $600 is nothing...my guess is they didn't make very many and it will become somewhat scarce therefore pricey in the long run

Some of us don't have thousands of dollars to toss around, are more frugal, and would enjoy a $600 project game much more than a simplistic flat-plastics topper.

#633 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

That's my point, I can't remember any time in the last decade people were losing 25% on NIB pins. $4400 MET don't worry Stern raised it's prices so it's now worth $4400 used.

I was mostly joking, but if you compare a pinball machine to investing, it's very possible to lose 25% on an investment right after you buy it, but if you hold on to your shares they might end up being worth 50% more than you bought them for 10 years later.

Perhaps this trend of pinballs only becoming worth more has been going on longer than 10 years, but it's usually a bit like cars, where they start depreciating as soon as you put some miles on them, then SOME might turn out to be pretty special and become worth more than they were originally, but most just stabilize at a certain point which is almost always lower than original price

Shit this became a long post seeing as how i was just joking

#634 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Some of us don't have thousands of dollars to toss around, are more frugal, and would enjoy a $600 project game much more than a simplistic flat-plastics topper.

People are frugal when they fork out $9K for a game site unseen? I don't think so...these people could probably give two shits about another $600. I'm not saying its worth the $600, but my guess is most don't care. I mean paying $550+ to play pebble beach isn't worth it either, but its booked a year out....its all relative

#635 3 years ago

The only good thing about an LE these days is the mirror backglass. Everything else you can upgrade a premium for cheaper.

#636 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

People are frugal when they fork out $9K for a game site unseen? I don't think so...these people could probably give two shits about another $600. I'm not saying its worth the $600, but my guess is most don't care. I mean paying $550+ to play pebble beach isn't worth it either, but its booked a year out....its all relative

I can explain my frustration with this topper/thread quite simply... I WANT BETTER from Stern. As our first lady might say, Stern is not 'be best'.

When I compare the other games in my collection, the last several Stern LE's look like they should cost $5-6k.

I do understand anyone able to justify $9k on a recent stern can certainly justify a $600 plastic topper.

#637 3 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

The only good thing about an LE these days is the mirror backglass. Everything else you can upgrade a premium for cheaper.

Not the art blades! Ooooooo aaaaahhhh!

#638 3 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

The only good thing about an LE these days is the mirror backglass.

Is Stern utilizing real backglasses again with the LEs? Not just the standard mirrored ink translights that they’ve done with every game since Metallica (other than Aerosmith LE, which oddly got a real backglass)?

#639 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Is Stern utilizing real backglasses again with the LEs? Not just the standard mirrored ink translights that they’ve done with every game since Metallica (other than Aerosmith LE, which oddly got a real backglass)?

If it’s a translite they did a fantastic job of gluing it to the glass.

#640 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

ACDC BIB used that mirrored translite.. saw a busted one that was shattered yet still held together by the translite.

#641 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

I dont agree with about 90% of what Crazylevi says on pinside but he's been making a whole lot of sense on this thread. For all this uproar one would think the mode would be the second coming of pinball and instead its some goat mode. If people want to spend $600 on a goat mode then power to them. A fool and his money are easily parted.

Yeah no shit. The point is NOT about people wasting their money on dumb shit. It’s the message that is being sent that results in stern thinking they can continue to do this and that ultimately impacts everyone. Yes the mode is terrible and yes it makes it even more foolish to spend money on it BUT stern will continue with this DLC now that fools are buying it and that will result in more modes being lost to the pay wall and I’m sure a good mode will be released and then what?

This isn’t a $60 video game. This is a 9k+ item that shouldn’t have DLC period. If they want to add modes later, they should be free considering upfront was so much to begin with. Sadly, that’s not going to be the case b/c stern sees folks willing to spend and now they’re off to the races.

#642 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Yeah no shit. The point is NOT about people wasting their money on dumb shit. It’s the message that is being sent that results in stern thinking they can continue to do this and that ultimately impacts everyone. Yes the mode is terrible and yes it makes it even more foolish to spend money on it BUT stern will continue with this DLC now that fools are buying it and that will result in more modes being lost to the pay wall and I’m sure a good mode will be released and then what?
This isn’t a $60 video game. This is a 9k+ item that shouldn’t have DLC period. If they want to add modes later, they should be free considering upfront was so much to begin with. Sadly, that’s not going to be the case b/c stern sees folks willing to spend and now they’re off to the races.

The point is that insane people are outraged by this and sane people aren’t.

Buy it or don’t. Do we really need a “This Time Stern has Gone Too Far!!!” Thread every 3 months when they sell something new? They clearly have not gone too far. Again.

#643 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The point is that insane people are outraged by this and sane people aren’t.
Buy it or don’t. Do we really need a “Now Stern has Gone Too Far!!!” Thread every 3 months when they sell something new? They clearly have not gone too far. Again.

What’s interesting is that we’re seeing the beginning of trends right in front of our eyes with stern. It’s now or never to speak up so I choose to call them out for the BS. Pretty simple.

#644 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

What’s interesting is that we’re seeing the beginning of trends right in front of our eyes with stern. It’s now or never to speak up so I choose to call them out for the BS. Pretty simple.

Is this really considered to be 'Disk Locked Content' though? I mean it isn't just software that can be installed/unlocked for monies like CGC color...you are buying something physical

They are riding the edge though I understand...It's not a million mile leap to: "Buy this Stern t-Shirt and unlock __."

#645 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Yup, great post! The worst thing about the UV light kit for Stranger Things and the topper mode for Jurassic Park is that both were purposely hidden in existing code after buyers already paid $6k - $9k+ for their games. There would have been an uproar even if Stern announced either item prior to games shipping but doing so after customers bought games is just low. Personally I don't want to hand over $6k - $9k+ of my hard earned money to a company pulling crap like that.

Stern should be embarrassed not only for the price tag of the topper but also for creating what appears to be a minimally coded throwaway mode. How come Stern didn't at least create a unique objective based mode with unique assets such as animations, music, sounds, etc? Stern must think customers will just buy anything at this point after years of regular prices increases and a decrease in playfield / parts quality.

#646 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

They are riding the edge though I understand...It's not a million mile leap to: "Buy this Stern t-Shirt and unlock _."

_this guy.

A313B7AB-6960-4C15-8829-EF8DB1077ABC (resized).jpegA313B7AB-6960-4C15-8829-EF8DB1077ABC (resized).jpeg

#647 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Do we really need a “This Time Stern has Gone Too Far!!!” Thread every 3 months when they sell something new?

Well you cant blame people when the "Dark Night for Stern" thread was such a smash hit. Who can resist the potential for 350 upvotes!

#648 3 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

I can explain my frustration with this topper/thread quite simply... I WANT BETTER from Stern. As our first lady might say, Stern is not 'be best'.
When I compare the other games in my collection, the last several Stern LE's look like they should cost $5-6k.
I do understand anyone able to justify $9k on a recent stern can certainly justify a $600 plastic topper.

I think we all do, but they are what they are....until people stop buying or the market turns they'll keep on the same path....

#649 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Is this really considered to be 'Disk Locked Content' though? I mean it isn't just software that can be installed/unlocked for monies like CGC color...you are buying something physical
They are riding the edge though I understand...It's not a million mile leap to: "Buy this Stern t-Shirt and unlock _."

DLC is all about slicing up the pie to get more later. Stern basically sliced off a mode to make this POS topper more attractive. That's how I connect the two.

How about this..... I'm not sure they even needed to offer a mode to sell this thing. Some of these responses from owners of this topper are so embarrassing and weak I'm not even sure they needed the damn mode. They might have bought it regardless bc it was limited!

Truly an embarrassment for the industry.

#650 3 years ago

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, NJ
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 936 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/topper-dlc-stern-s-new-low/page/13?hl=spelunk71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.