20200617_141947 (resized).jpg
E1FEC3D8-89BB-478C-9EF2-A633A4FD0C2D (resized).jpeg
Playstrong.Mask_1070x1070_crop_center (resized).jpg
a2e37a651941b80cf648adc1cb6e9cf50ed8bf5e (resized).jpeg
EC5F2EA7-44F6-4B8E-B621-392580A526CE (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
6F2771F9-46D5-425D-A174-EEF12089D80C (resized).jpeg
A979EA87-9729-4160-9A4D-4E1ED63426C4 (resized).png

There are 936 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 19.
#501 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

There is NO WAY IN HELL Deeproot has spent 35 million. If they said that I don't believe for one second. The problem with Deep Root is the same issue as American Pinball... the demand for original titles is not strong. Go out and license something really cool and get it to market as fast as possible.
It doesn't take two decades to get to market at this point Deep Root is a total failure. They're overthinking this whole thing. But none of that has to do with getting a license and creating a pinball game nor Stern overcharging for a $100 topper.

I would have paid $1000 for this topper You cheap bastard. You have no clue on how to run a business obviously.

#502 3 years ago

Nice to see Pinside no longer sheltering in place with GOAT topper news!!
F26D6934-2864-4EE1-B770-8B0237C0B26C (resized).jpegF26D6934-2864-4EE1-B770-8B0237C0B26C (resized).jpeg

#503 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I would have paid $1000 for this topper You cheap bastard. You have no clue on how to run a business obviously.

Either that or you have no idea to manage your money

Seriously, though, to each their own. I don't see anything spectacular to this topper that justifies the price but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I have no interest in buying this but if others do, it is no skin off my back. I don't like the trend towards pay for play content and Stern increasingly trying to control and profit off of every facet of this hobby, though.

#504 3 years ago
Quoted from gblack:

I had no clue other toppers were even more expensive. Now knowing that the cost doesn’t surprise me.

Yeah SW was $775 and while it didn’t unlock a mode on install it did add some callouts and other minor r2 stuff.

GB was either $499 or $599 don’t recall but they fetch a pretty penny now.

#505 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You know what? I have the Tilttopper, which I'm very happy with, so I wasn't going to buy a Stern one. But after reading your questions, which are clearly meant to taunt a good guy and incite some sort of reaction from him--pretty much the definition of trolling, by the way--I'm willing to give Zach the $600 if he doesn't answer your questions.
You've got 24 machines, many of them among the most expensive ones out there. Stop complaining about the $600. If you don't like it, move on.
Personally, I'm excited to see how they try to gig me on a Stranger Things topper. Should be interesting...

You are always the voice of reason Brotato chip! Glad you’re back Amigo!

#506 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm willing to give Zach the $600 if he doesn't answer your questions

Post the reciept and pictures of the box with your face, otherwise...who really believes this smokescreen?

Zach ain't going to post squat here about this anyways, and we all know that.

#507 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

This isn't about Zach or what pinball machines I have... I paid over $9000 for Stranger Things only to find out later they designed a blacklight mode into the game, and a few weeks later said give me another $300 bucks and you can have it. Then I paid over $9000 for JP LE only to find out later you can have a new mode if you pay another $600.00
This isn't about complaining its about calling attention to a runaway freight train. When you pay $9200 lets say shouldn't you get all the modes, shouldn't you get a topper to begin with, shouldn't you get blacklights to show off the playfield on stranger thing?
Is that a fair complaint? Now I'm asking you can you answer that?
What will be next pay $9300 for a pinball, then you find out later it doesn't come with legs, balls, a backglass but hey for another $1000 we'll send that over. Where does this stop?
If you buy Sterns LIMITED EDITION you should get the LIMITED EDITION BEST VERSION OF THE GAME!
Look at JJP ... they get ripped to shreds constantly for releasing their CE last.. but why do they do it? They want the customer to get the BEST VERSION!
So apparently with Stern there is no best version, because they on purpose send you a 87% game then ask you for hundreds more while the skillet is still burning hot. That just isn't right.

Just out of interest, and not trolling, but why did you buy JP LE after - by your own words and your assessment of what went down - you got burnt on STH LE with the UV addon?

You can’t complain about these business practices if you’re willingly buying into them.

#508 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Listen up Darth Vader, clearly you're serve the empire (LOL) but let me respond.
Stern sells a product they call it the LIMITED EDITION, its suppose to be the best version. But these cheap people over there don't get you the best version.
They don't give you the shooter rod, the topper or even the new modes. Then they come out with better sideblade armor.
Lets add it up here... Sideblade Armor $249.00 Topper - $599.00 - Shooter Knob $139.00
what are all those things WORTH cost wise maybe $150.00 but why didn't they come with the game?
Not to mention a NEW MODE!
Look at Star Trek LE that comes with bad ass sideblade armor why not the other games?
They're making the LE cheaper than ever then almost immediately turning around and saying OH BY THE WAY YOU DIDNT GET THE BEST VERSION
BUT... for another $1,000 plus you can have the new mode, topper, and everything else.
I buy an LE and I expect the best version.
You know what I'd shut up if Stern would just add a 10 cent flap to keep the balls from falling out when you lift the playfied. But that will never happen.

Cuz you keep buying Stern games?

#509 3 years ago

I’m not really fond of goats they have weird eyes . .. therefore I’ll pass on the topper

Update:, Ill just close my eyes when I see any goats.. topper purchased coming next week.

#510 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I’m not really fond of goats they have weird eyes . .. therefore I’ll pass on the topper

Goat from Brian Fellows Safari Planet really gets around!

#511 3 years ago

Oh I see drfrightner is back, almost tempting enough to turn my thumbs up/down on just to burn up my thumbs down on him. But nah, I’ll keep it off.

#512 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Here’s what I’m thinking Cookie, “the man” employs 300 people or so that NEED our support after going through a shitstorm?
I’m sure Stern tapped that PPP but I’m happy to help them out and support all the line workers that need jobs. Boom boom.

Very philanthropic Ice. Topper might even be tax deductible.

#513 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Does Zach ever stop selling, he's a machine! Good for you! He wants to be in the pinball selling business awesome but do you get his honest opinion on the products he sells? Does Zach think this is overpriced, if he wasn't a rep for Stern what would be his answer? Inquiring minds want to know! I think its a fair question honestly.
YO ZACH... couple questions before i call you and buy this topper, subscribe to your page, and comment on your video oh and give you $600.00. Could you please answer the following questions please.
1) Do you think this topper is worth $600 and why?
2) Why would this topper be worth more than the Black Knight topper which is the king of all Stern toppers? Explain.
3) We see tons of people selling these types of toppers and typically they're about $250 to $300 bucks... why is this one any different?
4) When you saw the topper were you disappointed considering the Black Knight Topper had a moving talking knight head? Where you hoping for a big raptor head or something that moved around... c'mon on now be honest.
5) When Stern charged about the same price as a JJP LE do you think Stern should go the extra mile and include a topper with the game?
6) Do you think its fair that people who paid over $9000 for JP game should be cheated out of a mode if they don't pay another $600?
7) Lastly what do you think will be more valuable and more fun the brand new XBOX coming to stores this Christmas or this Stern JP topper?
Thanks Zach in advance!

i wouldnt watch a youtube video review by somebody who is selling a product. they will not be transparent.

#514 3 years ago
Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

This topper is similar to my JJP Wonka topper in quality and features. Multi layered glossy thick plastic, solid metal frame, flashing LED lighting, very good build quality. The difference is mine only cost $300 shipped from JJP. What makes Stern think this worth an additional $300?

And what was the price of your Wonka vs a JP pro? More than a $300 gap I'd imagine? Your topper should have been included for the money you spent (as should Sterns LE's though)

#515 3 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

....but don't come in wearing a blowup turdsuit and be yacking all JJP is better and value for money.

A thumbs up from me for not only a great visual but also actually making me LOL.

#516 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Either that or you have no idea to manage your money
Seriously, though, to each their own. I don't see anything spectacular to this topper that justifies the price but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I have no interest in buying this but if others do, it is no skin off my back. I don't like the trend towards pay for play content and Stern increasingly trying to control and profit off of every facet of this hobby, though.

I’m sure he doesn’t. I on the other hand can manage money just fine

Trickle down. Friday?

#517 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Very philanthropic Ice. Topper might even be tax deductible.

In the US. 100%

Bailout special.

#518 3 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

Too expensive, but after seeing the original pics and then seeing the video with it lit up, I do have to admit it looks pretty great lit up.

Personally, I look the best when its somewhat dark.

#519 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Oh I see drfrightner is back, almost tempting enough to turn my thumbs up/down on just to burn up my thumbs down on him. But nah, I’ll keep it off.

Turn it back on Wacky after getting roasted

#520 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

You are always the voice of reason Brotato chip! Glad you’re back Amigo!

Danke, Liebchen.

Quoted from Frax:

Post the reciept and pictures of the box with your face, otherwise...who really believes this smokescreen?
Zach ain't going to post squat here about this anyways, and we all know that.

Oh, goodie...another troll. I love getting into a pissing contest with people on pinside. Okay, your dick is bigger. Happy now?

For your 411, you're talking to someone who actually bought a SW topper...and I'm really happy with it. Worth $800? Hell, no. But still very cool and I'm glad I have it. Furthermore, I'd buy a JP topper just to keep it in a box and sell it to Dr. Frightener when he starts complaining that there are none to be found and people are selling them for $1000.

Either way, I don't give a shit what you do, and you should feel the same way about me.

#521 3 years ago

I made a super funny video with the Spanish guy laughing. I don't know how to embed the video directly here so you need to follow the link

https://www.kapwing.com/5edc4932cf30510015baeeeb/studio/editor

D07644DA-E7DC-4D32-9678-3EE6DEF8CD94 (resized).jpegD07644DA-E7DC-4D32-9678-3EE6DEF8CD94 (resized).jpeg

Added over 4 years ago:

I re-did the video to correct syntax and clean up dialogue
https://www.kapwing.com/5ee00c41fbba5b0015861fd6/studio/editor

#523 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Danke, Liebchen.

Oh, goodie...another troll. I love getting into a pissing contest with people on pinside. Okay, your dick is bigger. Happy now?
For your 411, you're talking to someone who actually bought a SW topper...and I'm really happy with it. Worth $800? Hell, no. But still very cool and I'm glad I have it. Furthermore, I'd buy a JP topper just to keep it in a box and sell it to Dr. Frightener when he starts complaining that there are none to be found and people are selling them for $1000.
Either way, I don't give a shit what you do, and you should feel the same way about me.

Boom

#524 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I made a super funny video with the Spanish guy laughing. I don't know how to embed the video directly here so you need to follow one of the links.
[quoted image]

Wow!! That was funny. That laugh....

#525 3 years ago

I can’t wait for my $600 plastic lighty goat moaning topper. And I mean it! Seriously, I’m super excited!

#526 3 years ago
Quoted from gblack:

So you are saying $300 is ok for some plastic that does nothing but $300 is too much for code and technology to actually add to the playing of the game. I guess everyone values different things.

What code, this?

If Jurrasic Park is spelled play Bahhh.wav for every shot made
If not do nothing

#527 3 years ago

Lame.

#528 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I made a super funny video

Yes you did.... Hilarious

#529 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

What code, this?
If Jurrasic Park is spelled play Bahhh.wav for every shot made
If not do nothing

Good thing is if you’re not a fan you can just put a Burger King hat on top if you’re into toppers that do nothing.

#530 3 years ago

Drove in and picked it up this morning. I've played on and off all day. One light needed adjusting for a torch, otherwise there's not much that could go wrong with it. Those who step up to make the purchase will be happy. It's nice and I'm thankful to have it.

TopperRow (resized).jpgTopperRow (resized).jpg
#531 3 years ago
Quoted from RockfordReplay:

Drove in and picked it up this morning. I've played on and off all day. One light needed adjusting for a torch, otherwise there's not much that could go wrong with it. Those who step up to make the purchase will be happy. It's nice and I'm thankful to have it.[quoted image]

I am not a topper person, but all 4 of yours look nice side by side!

#532 3 years ago

Stern makes the best flat plastic printed/screened toppers in the business. LMAO. From photoshop to store @ $600 in 3-4 hours. BOOM.

#533 3 years ago

All this talk of goat mania is making me wish oi-mania on ACDC gets fixed!

#534 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Listen up Darth Vader, clearly you're serve the empire (LOL) but let me respond.
Stern sells a product they call it the LIMITED EDITION, its suppose to be the best version. But these cheap people over there don't get you the best version.
They don't give you the shooter rod, the topper or even the new modes. Then they come out with better sideblade armor.
Lets add it up here... Sideblade Armor $249.00 Topper - $599.00 - Shooter Knob $139.00
what are all those things WORTH cost wise maybe $150.00 but why didn't they come with the game?
Not to mention a NEW MODE!
Look at Star Trek LE that comes with bad ass sideblade armor why not the other games?
They're making the LE cheaper than ever then almost immediately turning around and saying OH BY THE WAY YOU DIDNT GET THE BEST VERSION
BUT... for another $1,000 plus you can have the new mode, topper, and everything else.
I buy an LE and I expect the best version.
You know what I'd shut up if Stern would just add a 10 cent flap to keep the balls from falling out when you lift the playfied. But that will never happen.

I agree but only regarding the mode added. It is NOT acceptable and it is disappointing
I don’t care about hardware added, we spent lots of money in mods shops.

#535 3 years ago

All these guys rushing out to buy this topper already...maybe it actually has already sold out.

I think you're fighting a losing battle delt31 . Face it, Stern know their market better than we do.

#536 3 years ago
F445B5E7-A4D0-42AF-876E-3ABC35183BDB (resized).pngF445B5E7-A4D0-42AF-876E-3ABC35183BDB (resized).png
#537 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

I agree but only regarding the mode added. It is NOT acceptable and it is disappointing
I don’t care about hardware added, we spent lots of money in mods shops.

I thought the added mode was funny as hell mocking suckers buying it for 600dollar

#538 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

All these guys rushing out to buy this topper already...maybe it actually has already sold out.
I think you're fighting a losing battle delt31 . Face it, Stern know their market better than we do.

Like I said, if you’ve got the money and you love the hobby, sometimes common sense sits it out. In the end ain’t nothing actually wrong with that, really, as long as the buyer is happy with whatever choice is in their home. Could end up being an eyeful of regret, could be a sense of happiness.

When this hobby gets to be only available to whale purchasers, it’ll die out like other hobbies before. I’ll just find a new one.

#539 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

When this hobby gets to be only available to whale purchasers, it’ll die out like other hobbies before. I’ll just find a new one.

I guess that’s why people get upset.

#540 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I made a super funny video with the Spanish guy laughing. I don't know how to embed the video directly here so you need to follow the link
[quoted image]

Lmao that was funny! Good Job

#541 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

...When this hobby gets to be only available to whale purchasers, it’ll die out like other hobbies before. I’ll just find a new one.

I visited a local Pinsider who provided some insight into his life experiences in arcades and pinball. One thing he said that countered a few of my previous purchases and has stirred my thoughts, "I'd never buy a NIB machine."

His home-arcade is the nicest I've experienced. He built it using intelligent techniques of purchasing wisely and creating investments that pay-off for himself. It's smart. If everyone bought pinball machines using his techniques; Stern wouldn't exist. No JJP. No Chicago Gaming. No Spooky. No American Pinball, Multimorfic or Deeproot. That's when the hobby we experience today would die.

#542 3 years ago

If new games went away the hobby wouldn’t die, it would just change. 100s of thousands of games out there for everyone to enjoy still.

#543 3 years ago

That's the point I'm thinking of. The vast variety of machines is absolutely incredible. We live at a great time to have this experience. There wouldn't be 100s of thousands of games without someone having stepped up and made the purchase.

#544 3 years ago

I like buying some nib pins and some used. I realize with nib I’m paying more each time. But I don’t mind that much since I’m supporting the game manufacturers.

I don’t sell real quick, I just sold my Tron after 7.5 years. If I was a more furious trader like every 8 months like some people then I’d never buy new.

#545 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

[quoted image]

No matter your take on the topper, this is some funny stuff!!! Well done!!

#546 3 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

No matter your take on the topper, this is some funny stuff!!! Well done!!

Holy cow. I had to scroll up to see what that was. I haven't laughed so hard in a while. My eyes are still watering.

#547 3 years ago

Stern toppers sold out....I wonder if my theory in a few posts above was correct. They had like 10 or maybe 20.

HMMMMMMMMMM.

Bizaree.

#548 3 years ago

They were distributed to Stern dealers.

#549 3 years ago
Quoted from RockfordReplay:

They were distributed to Stern dealers.

Stern sells them also...I have bought items from them....they have a sale page for it....maybe sold a few and then send out the rest...

#550 3 years ago

My take is that Stern, as a lifestyle brand, is adding code to edge out the aftermarket topper sellers. My guess is that they are testing the waters to see if they could produce more toppers per game with this model and sell them.

They'll do the same as they did with their cost cutting, which was cut until the complaints are to high and add back a little value. They'll exploit until sales drop and then ease off a little.

If you're really incensed by this move, send Stern an email. I just vote with my wallet. After my IMDNLE, I'll never buy another nib Stern. Used market is only going to get better.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop
Backbox
€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
JURASSIC PARK PRO Pre-order!
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
Electronics
Space Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, NJ
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 16.00
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation
Decals
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 70.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
There are 936 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 19.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/topper-dlc-stern-s-new-low/page/11?hl=dr-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.