Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20151004_114318.jpg
P1000595.jpg
t2.JPG
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

What takes your vote on the most complicated games to restore?

Currently working on a DM and the frustration has prompted me to wonder!

#2 9 years ago

Saw the title and immediately thought I would post DM. Not surprised that is the reason for this thread!

#3 9 years ago

Which ever one I happen to be shopping lol.

Out of the ones I have worked on, Earthshaker seems the biggest pain. Having to remove so many ramps and the Ca/Nevada hardware just to replace the rings kills me every time. Hate trying to get Ca/Nevada back together due to lack of space.

#4 9 years ago

Somehow all gottlieb games seem to hate me, for me these are hard to fix/restore. I don't know what I did wrong, but they all hate me.

#5 9 years ago

STTNG without a doubt.

#6 9 years ago

BSD, total b*itch with endless layers of ramps and plastics up the back of the game.

#7 9 years ago

WPC games, common theme here huh?

#9 9 years ago

DW time expander sucks bigtime. Whitewater for ramps and mini pf.

#10 9 years ago

STTNG - stupid ass canons. Never came across DM, but looks like a pita.

#11 9 years ago

The 2 toughest I've done to date are No Fear, and TAF

#12 9 years ago

WH20 is a real gem to shop out......

#13 9 years ago

Roadshow

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballOrphanage:

The 2 toughest I've done to date are No Fear, and TAF

I didn't think either one of those were all that hard.

#15 9 years ago

I am no expert, but all the williams games are so difficult. I have done DH, DM, BSD and STTNG.
But STTNG takes the cake. It's also the hardest to trouble shoot due to the hard to reach optos in the VUK.

#16 9 years ago

BSD was the game that made me realize why operators don't take care of their games. However, I'm working on ES right now and I think it is just as bad, maybe worse.

#17 9 years ago

I'd say WH20 for me. Just alot there and its all crammed together. I didn't feel like BSD was an overly hard game to shop. I did a complete topside teardown and found it fairly easy, it was very time consuming though.

#18 9 years ago

Medusa, it's awfully crowded under there, not to mention the light bar.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from skywelker:

BSD was the game that made me realize why operators don't take care of their games. However, I'm working on ES right now and I think it is just as bad, maybe worse.

ES sucks because you have to lift the playfield out of the hinges to slide it forward to actually get to anything.

I haven't found any one pin to be difficult to shop at all. I think the only pins that ended up being a PITA were some Williams System 11 and Gottlieb System 3 where there is Loctite on every post. Yes, I know the soldering iron trick, but it still takes a long time for something that should be very quick.

#20 9 years ago

I though NF was pretty simple...lots of metal rails but ramps are pretty easy.
WH20 is more of a chore to me getting the upper ramps in the right order...but not too bad.

I DID NOT like DH...plenty of screws/nuts hiding under things that need to come off before the intertwined ramps, which are a little tricky.

#22 9 years ago

JD for me...the subway and that weird light bracket. Holy crap.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

you have to lift the playfield out of the hinges to slide it forward to actually get to anything.

Can I just say a big THANK YOU for that tip. Never thought about it but that makes getting at the back sooo much easier. I was planning on taking the whole playfield out, but now I can leave it attached to work on it still. What do you rest the playfield on to stabilize it when you pull it forward?

#24 9 years ago

Those games mentioned doesn't have a thing on WOZ.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballholder:

Can I just say a big THANK YOU for that tip. Never thought about it but that makes getting at the back sooo much easier. I was planning on taking the whole playfield out, but now I can leave it attached to work on it still. What do you rest the playfield on to stabilize it when you pull it forward?

I use a long 2x4 from the playfield to the floor. Trying to find a spot on the bottom of the PF to brace it on can be difficult. If you're shopping the game, your better off pulling the entire thing and putting it on a rotisserie

#26 9 years ago

I remember shopping out a lotr a few years ago and it seemed like it took forever to get it back together. I don't remember it being very complicated, but something about it made it drag on and on.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

I don't remember it being very complicated, but something about it made it drag on and on.

For me that "something" was the game next to it that I played during "breaks"

#28 9 years ago

There's plenty of room to slide it forward and rest the back of the play field on the pivots in the cab. I use a 2x4 under the front to prop it flat and keep it from resting on coils... A lockdown bar does the same as a 2x4...

#29 9 years ago

lots of ramps to twist back together with DM

#30 9 years ago

Indiana Jones was awful for me but it may have been because it was my first full teardown. The minifield, temple and drops sucked. The worst thing was having to undo a bunch of crap and redo it all over again to get the minifield just right. I tore Corvette down topside really quickly and got it back together in comparison.

#31 9 years ago

Black Water 100 is a real pain in the azz

#33 9 years ago

sTTNG
TZ
Shadow
White Water
Judge Dredd
JM
Demo man
BSD
Funhouse

All these are a complete pain to strip down properly to get in every area of the playfield and under ramps that need cleaning.
And even more of a pain to remove or repair mechs in them that are commonly broken.

#34 9 years ago

Starting My first STTNG restore and its not that bad and I have done many restores on the posted list.

I havent Restored a Stern WPT or DE VND but working on them at Modern Pinball I believe it would be hell to have to tear either down.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

Starting My first STTNG restore and its not that bad and I have done many restores on the posted list.
I havent Restored a Stern WPT or DE VND but working on them at Modern Pinball I believe it would be hell to have to tear either down.

Taking it apart wasn't that difficult . Putting it back together was another story.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

WH20 is a real gem to shop out......

Agreed. Tough to get dialed in as well.

#37 9 years ago

Anyone have any good tips besides the taking photos and bagging parts together to keep it all straight. I can plan, plan, plan and document the heck out of it and I still have a moment where I'm like "really?!?!?!?"

#38 9 years ago

A better long term solution is to replace the factory hinges with the later slide-out-and-tilt system. It won't work on all games due to placement of mechs where the slides need to be attached to the PF. Sometimes GI gets in the way, but it's not difficult to relocate. Here is a pic of a T2 changed over:t2.JPGt2.JPG

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from Turboderf:

Black Water 100 is a real pain in the azz

I've done one of these myself, and all of the gates and spinners on the upper level are connected down to switches underneath the main level with thin wire tie-rods. Of course each one is unique, so keeping track of their placement is a bee-otch!

Add in the fact that most of the playfield is covered with thin, easily breakable vacu-formed plastics, and you've got a perfect recipe for intense aggrivation.

Later,
EV

#40 9 years ago

TZ is a b**ch, especially if you have to fix/clean the clock or the gumball machine. Stripping the PF is a nightmare and there's also the miniplayfield...

Mind you, TOTAN is also quite a challenge...

6 months later
#41 8 years ago

POTC has a bear of a playfield when it comes to disassembly. Getting that awkward double-ramp-plus-upper-playfield off is the first challenge, dealing with the left ramp and spinner is the next and then there's still a layer or two of plastics to get through.

Most playfields I've come across can be handled in phases, but with POTC, it has to be everything at once.

#42 8 years ago

Data East Hook
Want to clean? Take off everything.
Want to change rubbers? Take off everything.
Bulb out? I HOPE YOU HAVE YOUR TOOLS READY.

SO MANY PLASTICS

#43 8 years ago

I always liked mini playfields but when a light goes out I could see where that would really suck to have to take it out just for one bulb.

#44 8 years ago

Baywatch is up there....

#45 8 years ago

Hurricane is tough. Big ramps and the whole thing has to be torn down to replace the ferris wheel belt.

#46 8 years ago

Out of the games I own TZ is an easy winner, distant second and third are STTNG and WCS.

#47 8 years ago

Ever tear down a Nascar and metal polish the race track loop with opto's? what a bitch

#48 8 years ago

Corvette and Baywatch for me.
So frustrating I wrote down all of the steps to make it easier in the future.

#49 8 years ago

SWT - terrible cabinet and hinged, no pull out rails.

Everything else has been easy after that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Indian Land, SC
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jamestown, NC
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-toughest-games-to-shop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.