• 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by RawleyD
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#2 11 years ago

Nice article.

#4 11 years ago

Good stuff. I concur that Williams flipper assemblies are superior to that of Stern's.

#5 11 years ago

A nice recap. This machine is going to be good

#6 11 years ago

nice positive plug for stern pinball too!

#7 11 years ago

Awesome. Get me excited though now I want to know if end of July is a realistic date

#8 11 years ago

What a wonderfully unbiased article.

#9 11 years ago

Cool article. I remember an inverse flipper mode on Zen Pinball's: Marvel Pinball - Spiderman (video game for ps3) and it was crazy, something like that on REAL table should be spectacular!

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from MagicMako:

I remember an inverse flipper mode on Zen Pinball's: Marvel Pinball - spiderman (video game for ps3) and it was crazy, something like that on REAL table should be spectacular!

Stern's Simpsons Pinball Party - Mystery Spot.

Screws my brain up every time.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

My sarcasm detector exploded.

#12 11 years ago

I see you couldn't resist your transparent Stern-bashing even in a blog post that was supposed to be about WOZ. It's great that JJP can address the small niche of high-end collectors willing to pay $6500 for a game without playing it. Meanwhile Stern will keep rolling out the smash hits: LOTR, Tron, SM, IM, AC/DC, X-Men...

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from TunaSled:

I concur that Williams flipper assemblies are superior to that of Stern's

I do not drink that cool aid any more . The newer sterns make W/B feel clunky .. I thought I would never say that ever. LOL

Jim

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from MagicMako:

I remember an inverse flipper mode on Zen Pinball's: something like that on REAL table should be spectacular!

You can just flip your hands around to play it.

Interested in seeing the game. I still hope the upper playfields don't cramp things up and have an actual point to them.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from TunaSled:

Good stuff. I concur that Williams flipper assemblies are superior to that of Stern's.

I actually think Stern's flippers are better..

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Jediturtle said:

My sarcasm detector exploded.

Lol, mine too!

Personally i think when you speak such strong language against a direct (and only ) competitior, you raise the bar very high for yourself. So future games from JJP will always have original toys with new game designs and new ramps and so on. If not he will be eating those words for some time to come i think.

Don't get me wrong i'm all for it! but when you speak up like that, you better deliver!

I can be wrong of course, i don't follow all of the news like a hawk. But i think Stern has never openly attacked JJP like that. But like i said i can be wrong.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Sorry. I calls them...likes I sees them.

Owned pinball machines from nearly every vendor (Gottlieb, Bally, Capcom, Williams, Data East, Game Plan, Stern) and do not work for JJP or anyone else.

- Kevin

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I see you couldn't resist your transparent Stern-bashing even in a blog post that was supposed to be about WOZ. It's great that JJP can address the small niche of high-end collectors willing to pay $6500 for a game without playing it. Meanwhile Stern will keep rolling out the smash hits: LOTR, Tron, SM, IM, AC/DC, X-Men...

Too early to call AC/DC or X-Men hits...going way back on SM and LoTR (how old are those). Sure Stern has made some good games. But they have yet to make anything that makes me feel like my classics (White Water, Creature, TZ, Shadow) are dusty old news.

- Kevin

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from scooter:

TunaSled said:Good stuff. I concur that Williams flipper assemblies are superior to that of Stern's.

With both platforms with flippers in good shape, I don't feel there's a significant difference in play quality. That said, "real world", flippers on Stern games tend to be newer and play better. Much more snappy and precise. It's getting harder and harder to find B/W games without that severely "worn in" feeling.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

scooter said:TunaSled said:Good stuff. I concur that Williams flipper assemblies are superior to that of Stern's.
With both platforms with flippers in good shape, I don't feel there's a significant difference in play quality. That said, "real world", flippers on Stern games tend to be newer and play better. Much more snappy and precise. It's getting harder and harder to find B/W games without that severely "worn in" feeling.

If people would just bite the bullet and do a full rebuild shouldn't even be an issue. The flippers on my Space Shuttle are WAY "snappier" than my unrebuilt ones that are on STTNG that I have yet to touch since buying it. STTNG plays great though, I'm not messing with it at the moment, just saying that for that particular feeling, rebuilding the entire thing except the mounting plate will likely get you there. Go figure, right?

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from freakandgeek:

But they have yet to make anything that makes me feel like my classics (White Water, Creature, TZ, Shadow) are dusty old news.

All my games look like turds when AC/DC is turned on . When I have people over I show them the old games first. LOL

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

TunaSled said:I concur that Williams flipper assemblies are superior to that of Stern's

I do not drink that cool aid any more . The newer sterns make W/B feel clunky .. I thought I would never say that ever. LOL
Jim

Not sure I agree. I may be getting X-Men LE so direct comparison easier. However AFM, new p/f or WH20 with a new ceramic clearcoat do not feel clunky at all.

So maybe a difference between high quality restores and as is pins??

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from MagicMako:

Cool article. I remember an inverse flipper mode on Zen Pinball's: Marvel Pinball - spiderman (video game for ps3) and it was crazy, something like that on REAL table should be spectacular!

I thought SM would have them since Zen did that and then played it and found it it did not. It was the reason I was NOT going to get one. I cant stand that feature.
My advice, play this before committing. Its a big deal.

#24 11 years ago

I own 2 Sterns, and plan to buy more. However I agree that the B/W flipper design (with a separate "hold" winding) is much better. The Stern coils get hot and sometimes buzz. It doesn't make that much of a difference to gameplay, but all things being equal I wish Stern would license the patents so they could switch to the B/W design.

Back to WOZ...I'm not a fan of the theme or the playfield layout. I may be more positive on it once I see how it plays, but it looks very stop-and-go to me. Artwork and toys are great though.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Artwork and toys are great though

Have to admit it looks amazing.

#26 11 years ago

One thing that was missed is the new way that the cabinet and playfield art are going to be applied/created.

The side art is not going to be a big sticker

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from B9:

The side art is not going to be a big sticker

I thought i heard on spooky pinball that the artwork are going to be actually printed directly on the cab. I may have misheard, but that how i understood it.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from mojozone:

I thought i heard on Spooky pinball that the artwork are going to be actually printed directly on the cab. I may have misheard, but that how i understood it.

That's what I heard also ...

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

The Stern coils get hot and sometimes buzz. It doesn't make that much of a difference to gameplay, but all things being equal I wish Stern would license the patents so they could switch to the B/W design

B/W use the typical dual-coil, three lug system, where Stern uses a single coil, two lug flipper coil, simplifying the hardware. I think it may be more reliable in commercial settings, and require less maintenance. The EOS can drop off entirely, and the Stern flipper will still function.

#30 11 years ago

I swear that at TPF they said that the boards will be down in the cabinet also, NOT in the head.. anyone got a transcript of Jack's presentation?

If I'm remembering that right, and if they stuck with that design, it's freakin' awesome too.

#31 11 years ago

As far as I know, all electronics will be in a removable "cage" in the cabinet bottom. The only things in the head will be the LCD, speakers, and lighting (plus, I guess, some cables to the topper).

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from KenH:

swampfire said:The Stern coils get hot and sometimes buzz. It doesn't make that much of a difference to gameplay, but all things being equal I wish Stern would license the patents so they could switch to the B/W design
B/W use the typical dual-coil, three lug system, where Stern uses a single coil, two lug flipper coil, simplifying the hardware. I think it may be more reliable in commercial settings, and require less maintenance. The EOS can drop off entirely, and the Stern flipper will still function.

So can B/W flippers since 1991, the year they came out with the first Fliptronics board!

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

TunaSled said:I concur that Williams flipper assemblies are superior to that of Stern's

Jim

Jim, I'm glad to see someone else agree with me on this. The newer Stern's (specifically referring to LE models personally) have a great flipper feel, and perhaps even seems a bit more solid than some of the B/W flippers.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The newer Stern's (specifically referring to LE models personally) have a great flipper feel, and perhaps even seems a bit more solid than some of the B/W flippers.

Do the LEs have different flipper components than the standard models?

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

However AFM, new p/f or WH20 with a new ceramic clearcoat do not feel clunky at all.

I agree but what is the price point ? I can tell you that it is way more than the new games !

Jim

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

RobT said:
The newer Stern's (specifically referring to LE models personally) have a great flipper feel, and perhaps even seems a bit more solid than some of the B/W flippers.
Do the LEs have different flipper components than the standard models?

Not that I know of. I just wanted to be clear that my experience has been specific to the LE models.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

honda350r said:TunaSled said:I concur that Williams flipper assemblies are superior to that of Stern's
Jim
Jim, I'm glad to see someone else agree with me on this. The newer Stern's (specifically referring to LE models personally) have a great flipper feel, and perhaps even seems a bit more solid than some of the B/W flippers.

Sorry guys, but I already had to replace a coil stop on my Tron LE. flipper kept sticking because the coil stop fell apart.
Not one of our other B/W's has had this problem... I'm talking about 15-20 year old machines here.

I've played many Sterns, and they all have that 'light/cheap' feel compared to our B/W's. Not a 'clunky' feel, just light-weight and cheap.
There's a lot of B/W games that feel 'clunky' to me, but that's caused by the gameplay, NOT the flipper build.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
$ 24.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 16.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 91.00
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

13,000 (OBO)
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-ten-things-you-should-know-about-wizard-of-oz-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.