• Latest reply 5 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

amp (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Can't figure this one out. Not even a hum from the top speakers, just nothing. So far I've tried installing new speakers & new amplifiers but that has done nothing. All my voltages are good on my boards. Connections are all being made from speakers to aux sound board. At a loss as to what to check next.

#2 5 years ago

This is a multi-stage audio amplifier on the aux power supply board. Which "amplifiers" did you replace? Do you have an oscilloscope and know how to use it to troubleshoot audio amplifiers?

#3 5 years ago

I have a logic probe. & no I don't know how to troubleshoot them but I'd like to! The tda2040 are good on aux power board, I thought those were the only amp that would cause nothingness but now that you mention it I forgot about the 3403 ic. I already replaced those a while back on the main board, but I do have new aux sound & aux power boards that I could install new ones on.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from robx46:

I have a logic probe. & no I don't know how to troubleshoot them but I'd like to! The tda2040 are good on aux power board, I thought those were the only amp that would cause nothingness but now that you mention it I forgot about the 3403 ic. I already replaced those a while back on the main board, but I do have new aux sound & aux power boards that I could install new ones on.

A logic probe won't do you much good for checking the audio path. An oscilloscope lets you see audio waves, so you can find where the signal is getting lost. If you have new aux power board, did you try to sub that in? (assuming it works)

amp (resized).pngamp (resized).png
#5 5 years ago

My old aux power board had 12v dc leakage to the speakers. I never could track down the cause. New (old) board from PBR is in there now. I actually do have an oscilloscope ordered since I found one cheap online a couple weeks ago so maybe it will come in handy here. In the meantime I may try new 3403 on the aux power board & see what happens.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from robx46:

My old aux power board had 12v dc leakage to the speakers. I never could track down the cause. New (old) board from PBR is in there now. I actually do have an oscilloscope ordered since I found one cheap online a couple weeks ago so maybe it will come in handy here. In the meantime I may try new 3403 on the aux power board & see what happens.

If you have not done so, I would suggest swapping P2 cable inputs pins 1 & 3 to the aux power supply board. If the problem remains the backbox speakers dead, then you definitely have a problem with that board. If the backbox speakers work and the cab speaker stops working, then the problem is upstream at the sound board.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

If you have not done so, I would suggest swapping P2 cable inputs pins 1 & 3 to the aux power supply board. If the problem remains the backbox speakers dead, then you definitely have a problem with that board. If the backbox speakers work and the cab speaker stops working, then the problem is upstream at the sound board.

I did that, & still no sound from the top speakers & an awful screeching type noise on the bottom.
Speakers are confirmed good via ohm test (also they are new, from a new stern game I removed them from), all wiring has continuity to the back of the aux power supply board pins, & I've replaced every 3403 ic on all 3 of the boards. Still having same issue.
Any chance a bad rom could cause this?
I burned some new roms for the aux sound board despite multiple attempts & using different chips I couldn't get AROM1 to verify. Wrote ok but fails verification. AROM2 didn't have that problem.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from robx46:

I did that & still no sound from the top speakers

If you switched the inputs and the dead speakers are still the top speakers in the backbox, then you definitely have a problem with the amplifier circuit for that channel on the aux power supply board. Could be a lot of things besides the ICs, open caps etc...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Bloomington, IL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-speakers-not-working-gtb-system-3-cue-ball-wizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.