• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
#1 8 years ago

I have a Top Score where the right flipper comes loose after about 10 plays. I have replaced the entire flipper and the entire flipper assembly and am still having this problem. The screws do not stay tightened on the right side for some reason. Any tips for keeping this from happening would be greatly appreciated. This does not happen on any of my other machines and it is driving me batty (pun intended).

#2 8 years ago

You're replaced the shaft and the shoe, and the pawl, and the set screws?

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

You're replaced the shaft and the shoe, and the pawl, and the set screws?

Yes, I replaced all of them. Still having the same nagging issue.

#4 8 years ago

If you're using all new parts, the only suggestion I have is putting some Loctite on the set screws. Doesn't make any sense that a new shaft, pawl and set screw should be coming loose.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

If you're using all new parts, the only suggestion I have is putting some Loctite on the set screws. Doesn't make any sense that a new shaft, pawl and set screw should be coming loose.

I got them from PBR. They looked new. I'll try the Loctite. Thanks.

#6 8 years ago

Replace the set screws with 8-32 x 3/8" socket head cap screws. You should be able to find them at a decent hardware store.

It will require the appropriate sized Allen key to torque them but you will be able to tighten it adequately to keep it in place.

The original set screws that you tighten with a 3/16" nut driver have a tendency to break off and then you have to cut the pawl and flipper shaft just to get the parts off. I replace these set screws immediately for Gottlieb EM games from this era.

#7 8 years ago

I had the same problem on a 69 Williams (albeit with worn shafts) and found these screws from Home Depot did the trick. image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#8 8 years ago

I'll give the socket heads a try tomorrow. Thanks for the help, all!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-score-flipper-coming-loose-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.