Top Score test points (resized).jpg
IMG_2723 (resized).jpg
IMG_2720 (resized).jpg
Top Score DX relay circuit (resized).JPG
IMG_2716 (resized).jpg
IMG_2714 (resized).jpg
IMG_2715 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I have a question about the Dx relay, which turns on both in-lane "Adds Bonus When Lit" lights. I think it should trigger at ball 3.

At ball 4 the Ex relay activates and turns on two "Adds Bonus When Lit" lights. At ball 5 the Fx also turns on a light.

At ball 3, nothing. If I manually activate the Dx relay the in-lane lights go on as they should, but never in game play. (NOTE: The six alternating lights in three pairs on the right side work fine.)

My question: What triggers the Dx relay to activate? I've searched the schematics (I'm so-so fair at reading them) and couldn't find an answer. Is there a switch on a relay I should look at? Henry

#2 3 years ago
IMG_2714 (resized).jpgIMG_2714 (resized).jpgIMG_2715 (resized).jpgIMG_2715 (resized).jpg
#3 3 years ago

That's all three switches on the Dx, 1 NO, 1 NC, 1 make-break.

IMG_2716 (resized).jpgIMG_2716 (resized).jpg
#4 3 years ago

Looks like when the Ball adjust is set to 5 balls, and the player unit rotates to positions 8 and 9, you have a complete path for the DX relay through Q (which should be in the state shown on the schematic), AX and P relay switches. So DX should only be activated when the player unit rotates to contact positions 8 and 9.

The player unit contacting positions 8 and 9 should also create a path for ball in play #3 bulb being lit, which is why DX is called the 1st or 3rd ball relay - 3rd ball in this case (since the 3-5 ball adj. is set to 5 balls on the schematic - if you were set to a 3 ball game, the DX relay would energize with the 1st ball when the player unit is contacting points 0 and 1).

So, if your DX relay isn't triggering, I'd look at the switches along that path.

Does the Ball #3 light come on when you're playing ball 3 ? If so, that would narrow down the troubleshooting a bit.

Top Score DX relay circuit (resized).JPGTop Score DX relay circuit (resized).JPG

#5 3 years ago

I just read in your first post that the EX and FX relays are energizing with balls 4 and 5. That would indicate that the relay switches on the left side of the circuit - Q, AX and P - are working since they all go through that same path. I'd probably pull that DX relay out where you can see it clearly and clean and check those switches on it.

#6 3 years ago

Thanks - the Ball # 3 light does come on when I'm playing ball 3. I'd figured that the Q Ax P were working because the Ex and Fx relays were working. That's what confused me. I'd pulled the Dx relay and checked and cleaned the switches. They do work - but only if the relay trips, which it doesn't...so I'm back to the start. I do see that there is the three ball-five ball Jones plug in the middle of all of this. I'd cleaned the male and female Jones plugs when I got the game, but will check now for continuity.

On the new snippet, the only other place I find the Dx is the Dx reset. Originally the Ax was not shutting off, score motor running non-stop, so I cleaned and gapped the GR-RED at the "O" relay which solved that. Also in the line is the Dx, but also the Ex and Fx which work, so that shouldn't be the problem.

I'll check the Jones plug and post what I find.

IMG_2720 (resized).jpgIMG_2720 (resized).jpg
#7 3 years ago

Jones plug is good so I'm stumped. I could bend the Dx switches together and have the in-lane lights on all game, but I hate to give in.

#8 3 years ago

The only thing I can add is that as soon as the game goes to ball 5 the Fx immediately kicks in and the light comes on.
When the game goes to ball 4 there is a 2-3-4 second delay, then I can hear the Ex click and the lights come on.
When the game goes to ball 3 the Dx never activates.

Not sure why the delay on ball 4 or if it's relevant, but suspicious since everything else seems to check out. A real mystery

#9 3 years ago

Did you check the DX coil?

#10 3 years ago

Checked it, same ohms as Ex and Fx. Would have been an easy solution!

#11 3 years ago

...and checked with a 9v battery and it clicks over.

#12 3 years ago

Have you tried jumpers yet?

#13 3 years ago

Have not tried jumpers. I'm kind of new to this but have tried jumpers on other machines; not sure where to jump from, of course one end would go on the Dx solenoid post.

#15 3 years ago

I have done similar on my other EMs. I this case I think I should go from the Dx relay to the Br-Red at the 8 -9 position on the player unit in the back box. Do that when the game is on ball two, then drain the ball so it goes to ball three and see if the Dx activates. Sound right? And thanks for your help so far. I've followed a lot of your posts, even for machines I don't have, just to pick up insights.

#16 3 years ago

Forget the above. On the coil I want, an orange wire comes out to the Dx switch stack leaf and is NC with a red wire. The red wire goes to the 3 ball 5 ball Jones plug and has continuity. The wire comes out of the Jones plug as a green red that should go to the "O" relay. That does not show continuity. I'm not sure if that's the problem or if I've managed to get myself lost. Should I jumper from the "O" relay lug to the Dx coil? And should I have the game on and make it go from ball 2 to 3 while testing?

IMG_2723 (resized).jpgIMG_2723 (resized).jpg
#17 3 years ago
Quoted from hjh632:

Should I jumper from the "O" relay lug to the Dx coil?

Maybe I'm getting lost, but why 'O'? What you want to do is either start close or away and keep going til you find the dead spot. Check the route highlighted in post 4. And yes, the game should be on to test.

#18 3 years ago

Thanks Will try to find that path tomorrow

#19 3 years ago

I'm feeling pretty lost. I looked at the player unit. There are two rivets on the outer ring of rivets that are hidden under the left part of the rotator (one is just barely showing on my photo.) I count them as 0 and 1, going clockwise, then keep going until I get to 8 which is brown red (rather faded so I'm not 100% on that.) I hooked up a jumper from that to the red wire lug on Dx relay, then started the game and advanced to ball 3. Add bonus ights did not come on.

Was I counting the rivets correctly? If so, is there a suggestion for a next step?

What Paulace wrote in post 4 makes me wonder if checking the other switches would prove anything.

Quoted from paulace:I just read in your first post that the EX and FX relays are energizing with balls 4 and 5. That would indicate that the relay switches on the left side of the circuit - Q, AX and P - are working since they all go through that same path.

IMG_2725 (resized).JPGIMG_2725 (resized).JPG
#20 3 years ago

For testing with jumpers, first, you want to have the machine on and playing your third ball, so hopefully, the player unit contact is on position 8 or 9 (check that). At that point, if the machine were working correctly, you'd have DX energized. So to figure out where the problem lies;

- clip one side of the jumper to position #4 (red X - which is the lug of the coil that is NOT wired blk-wh - keep this end of the jumper
connected there), and the other end of the jumper to pos. 1 (which should be a blk-red wire). This will bypass everything except the
coil, so you can see if the coil works.

- If the coil energizes, then you might want to try keeping one end of the jumper on the coil lug (pos 4) and maybe divide the switches
in half - try the other end of the jumper on pos. 2.

- If DX energizes, then everything to the left of pos 2 is good (that's P, AX and Q). You could then try putting one end of the jumper
at pos. 5 to try to narrow down where the break is.

- If DX doesn't energize, then your problem is somewhere in the P, AX, Q area. You could then try to put one end at pos. 3.

- You're trying to logically find the point where the circuit is broken.

Top Score test points (resized).jpgTop Score test points (resized).jpg

#21 3 years ago

According to the wire color on the schematic, that does look like pos 8 on the player unit. Are you getting good contact between the rivets and the little "snowshoe" spring-loaded contacts on the rotating wheel?

#22 3 years ago

Paulace, everything you say makes sense, except one point that has always bothered me.

Quoted from paulace:

you want to have the machine on and playing your third ball, so hopefully, the player unit contact is on position 8 or 9 (check that).

The snowshoes are not on position 8 at ball 3. In the photo at the Q-tip is where the snow shoe rests for ball one player one. There are five sets of double rivets (one for player one, the other for player two) Clockwise (and just showing) are two rivets for ball two. As shown in the photo the machine is now on ball three and the ball three light is lit. Next set of rivets is ball four, and the Ex lights come on, next set ball five and the Fx light comes on.

I'd say the rotating part with the snow shoes is out of position, but all the backglass lights for balls 1-5 come on at the proper time. Could it be out of position and turning it 120º would work? I don't see how. There are a PAIR of snow shoes at the left side of the rotator (including the one that runs along the outside ring of rivets), but I couldn't rotate 180º since it lock on with three screws 120º apart.

Um, I am very confused with what should be fairly simple. Guess that part of the fun of EMs. Should I try relocating the rotator 120º at a time and see what happens? Not difficult to do. But...the ball in play lights are correct and the Ex and Fx work as is.

IMG_2727 (resized).JPGIMG_2727 (resized).JPG
#23 3 years ago

Yeah, it's relatively common to have the rotating part out of position (usually just off the rivets), but the fact the EX and FX work as it is makes that unlikely. Are those 8-9 rivets wired to some other rivets on the back of that disc? If you do change the position of the rotating part, make sure you can put it back to the original position if you need to....mark it.

I'd examine all those rivets and wired connections very carefully visually too (which you've probably already done), just to make sure there's nothing obvious that you're missing.

I'd try the jumpers too, to at least make sure the P, AX and Q area is good, though I suspect it is since EX and FX are working.

#24 3 years ago

It's more than just off the rivets - the snow shoe on the bottom left of the photo should, if it has to touch outer ring rivet 8 on ball 3, should be in the upper right of the photo. That's so confusing since the ball count lights, Fx and Ex work. Can't quite figure that. Back at it tomorrow, I'll try the rotator at different position and put the results here.

#25 3 years ago

See if there's some wiring on the back of the disc connecting those 8-9 rivets to some other rivets that ARE being touched by the snowshoes when the 3rd ball is in play. Maybe that's the secret....?

#26 3 years ago

May try that, but I'm new enough to this to be hesitant to take off more than the outer rotator. I'll look tomorrow.

Did try reattaching the rotator at 120º and 240º and that was just wrong so put it back where it was.

If I give up on this there are some other - maybe easier fixes to make. I've come a long way, was inoperable when I got it. Got the Ax to finally work, then figured out how to get the Ax to disengage. The spinner gave bonuses every spin. I'll start another thread for the issues remaining and work on the current one tomorrow.

#27 3 years ago

It's good to take a break when you get stuck! Let your subconscious work on it a while.

#28 3 years ago

I did think of something you could try just as an experiment. You could switch the jones plug from 5-ball to 3-ball, and see if the DX relay energizes on the first ball, like it's supposed to.

#29 3 years ago

Success...like you said it's good to take a break. And a seven mile walk. Didn't read your last post till now, hadn't been on Pinside all day.

What I found was continuity from the rivet at position 3 player unit up to the red brown wire on the edge of the player unit, through the 3/5 Jones plug up to the Dx switches right to the coil lug, When I was touching things I saw a hint of a spark between the switches feeding the coil, tried a 9v battery and hit and miss could get it to work. But I was now pretty sure power was getting up to the switch, not sure why the coil didn't do its job. Compared it to the Ex and Fx and the plate moved with more resistance as I latched and unlatched by hand. I put more tension on the spring that pulls in the plate and all is good.

Curriedog and Paulace, I thank you for sticking with me as I bumbled along. I found out how much I didn't know about EM's in the process. But my skills at jumpering are better - makes more sense now, maybe even a bit of understanding about schematics. I have a few more issues to deal with. The game is quite playable now, but I'll be back with another thread soon enough Henry

#30 3 years ago

Good job, and way to hang in there!!

#31 3 years ago

And by the way...

Quoted from paulace:

See if there's some wiring on the back of the disc connecting those 8-9 rivets to some other rivets that ARE being touched by the snowshoes when the 3rd ball is in play.

there was wiring that went from the 8-9 rivets to the disk face rivets that were contacted by the snowshoes at ball 3 position. Nice to have a dental mirror!

#32 3 years ago

Congratulations! Glad to hear you persevered! Keep that dental mirror in your toolkit - sounds handy. A curved dental pick is handy too for hooking some hard to reach springs back into place. More dentists should be into this hobby...

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to fix these things, but it does help to be patient and thorough, and to be able to work your way through understanding the schematic...asking for help along the way when you need it. This forum is a great place to ask questions about schematics.

Hope you get to play it soon!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-score-dx-relay-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.