You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

vb0ky0btr8c71 (resized).png
im-an-asshole (resized).jpg
k44kVPN.gif
#1 2 years ago

With the ever-growing practice of flipping LE/CE deposits for profit, I'd like to start a collection of excuses of why these sellers changed their minds. Bring your most ridiculous excuses.

k44kVPN.gifk44kVPN.gif
#2 2 years ago

Love the, “ for unforeseen medical reasons….” Guy has had unforeseen bills for 3 yrs. your hindsight is really lacking at this point!

Flippers hate to be called out but it is what it is!

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Boblabla:

Love the, “ for unforeseen medical reasons….” Guy has had unforeseen bills for 3 yrs. your hindsight is really lacking at this point!
Flippers hate to be called out but it is what it is!

Ah yes...has to be in the top 3 for sure. There are quite a few pinsiders that flip deposits or NIB games for profit even though they have been battling unforeseen medical reasons for multiple years. Thoughts and prayers, thoughts and prayers.

#4 2 years ago

Because my time and effort is worth something
Capitalism/Free Market
I have it - you want it

#5 2 years ago

When they try to justify why they can doing it............"Capitalism"

Best excuse I see is, "decided to get a different pin or the Prem./Pro". Yeah, I have on many occasions purchased a $9k+ item without thinking it through. So because you decided to go with a different pin, that adds $2k to the value of your LE?

#6 2 years ago

I Would love if everyone would stop buying nib flips. Stick these guys with their 10k machine they never intended to buy! That will get them kicked off “interest list” very quickly! Also, probably bankrupt the majority of the “capitalists”

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from dantebean:

When they try to justify why they can doing it............"Capitalism"
Best excuse I see is, "decided to get a different pin or the Prem./Pro". Yeah, I have on many occasions purchased a $9k+ item without thinking it through. So because you decided to go with a different pin, that adds $2k to the value of your LE?

I yes good ole 'Murican capitalism. Probably the number one answer. Never understood the argument of my time is worth something. I mean yeah it is but at several thousands of dollars per hour? So the 15 minutes it took to buy a preorder spot (very generous here) is worth 500...1,000...2,000?

#8 2 years ago

I decided to go premium because x art work was better

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Boblabla:

Love the, “ for unforeseen medical reasons….”

Forgot to add...the variant to this excuse is unforeseen veterinarian expenses. Pulls at the heartstrings a bit more so you don't feel so bad getting ripped off.

#10 2 years ago

I’m out of room.
My wife doesn’t like the theme.
The Artwork scares my kid.

… the fortune cookie that came with my lunch said to choose a different game.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

I’m out of room.
My wife doesn’t like the theme.
The Artwork scares my kid.
… the fortune cookie that came with my lunch said to choose a different game.

I'm out of room is always funny if they are posting a picture of the game for sale in a room...with plenty of room
Artwork scares my kid is a variation of my dog needs surgery. Pets and kids are frequently used as excuses.

#12 2 years ago

This has been happening for years in the Rolex collecting world for hard to get watches. Only difference is the markup is much steeper from flippers from +50% up to 3x MSRP depending on model, and no excuses even given there!

#13 2 years ago

"Everyone else is doing it!". This is my favorite because you assume it is coming out of the mouth of a middle school kid (junior high for us Canadians), but it is a full grown adult.

#14 2 years ago

Watches are boring..
toilet paper is more fun./ Let us corner the market on TP before the Enigma Covid variant comes out and shuts america down again.

Quoted from PNBLWZD:

This has been happening for years in the Rolex collecting world for hard to get watches. Only difference is the markup is much steeper from flippers from +50% up to 3x MSRP depending on model, and no excuses even given there!

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

Watches are boring..
toilet paper is more fun./ Let us corner the market on TP before the Enigma Covid variant comes out and shuts america down again.

Go into any Rolex boutique worldwide and look at the empty display cases if you don't believe me. Unless you’re a whale with big $$ spend history, you can’t even order anything. It’s crazy as this forces anyone that wants a hot model to buy from and feed the flipper cycle.

#16 2 years ago

Just saw this one....

"I was able to get a second one for a lower price so selling this one for what I paid for it. ($12,400 Mando LE)"

Isn't that basically admitting that you can find one cheaper (which you can)? And yet it is sale pending....

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

I'm out of room is always funny if they are posting a picture of the game for sale in a room...with plenty of room
Artwork scares my kid is a variation of my dog needs surgery. Pets and kids are frequently used as excuses.

Ya, already saw a few variants of that from people scalping Halloween spots. "Decided not right for my family friendly gameroom".

Like you forgot you had a family when you ordered it? If the sold spots was at msrp that would be one thing, but typically at the scalper markup.

In general though if someone is going to scalp they should just own it. Or list the game with the scalper markup no extra details. Don't need to make up a story.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Obed_Marsh:

Ya, already saw a few variants of that from people scalping Halloween spots. "Decided not right for my family friendly gameroom".
Like you forgot you had a family when you ordered it? If the sold spots was at msrp that would be one thing, but typically at the scalper markup.
In general though if someone is going to scalp they should just own it. Or list the game with the scalper markup no extra details. Don't need to make up a story.

Ah jeez, I didn't realize this theme about a psycho murderer who escapes from a mental institution to go on a killing spree was inappropriate for my 3 year old daughter. My bad! Looking to sell my deposit with a $500 markup. Need the extra cash for therapy for my daughter after she was traumatized by the thought of having this pinball machine in the house.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Obed_Marsh:

Yeah, i think If they just said: I wanted to try and make few bucks. It wouldn’t offend anyone.

#20 2 years ago

“My grail pin just became available”

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Because my time and effort is worth something
Capitalism/Free Market
I have it - you want it

Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

Yeah, i think If they just said: I wanted to try and make few bucks. It wouldn’t offend anyone.

We have an honest answer here for three down vote penalty.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

“My grail pin just became available”

Ah yes the grail game. No one can argue if you finally found the GRAIL!

2 months later grail game is in the marketplace.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

Nope. Folks would be all over it. But it would be honest, and there are some of us that would respect that.

#25 2 years ago

oh, i believe you and that is bizarre that this kind of speculating buying has made it's way to everything.
Shoes/ Clothes /Electronics/ toys /watches .
Soon it will be like the Movie Jingle all the way . Perhaps Camped out overnight / lines of people outside stern/ Cointaker/ Colorado game exchange to Buy these games in Person to get one at MSRP / When the doors open and everyone rushes and tramples one another to the Register to buy in a frenzy

It has become INSANE

Quoted from PNBLWZD:

Go into any Rolex boutique worldwide and look at the empty display cases if you don't believe me. Unless you’re a whale with big $$ spend history, you can’t even order anything. It’s crazy as this forces anyone that wants a hot model to buy from and feed the flipper cycle.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

My car just ran out of gas

This one can also be used to back out of buying a game!

#27 2 years ago

"wife wants me to open a Tiger Sanctuary" so I gotta sell all these pins...

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from starfighter:

"wife wants me to open a Tiger Sanctuary" so I gotta sell all these pins...

Damn dude. You are hitting a couple of flipper points in one excuse. You have the wife and an animal. If you changed it to Sick Tiger Sanctuary you can get the trifecta of wife animal and unforeseen sickness excuses.

#29 2 years ago

It's funny that don't see a whole lot of excuses if other scalper markets. Video game consoles and limited edition versions of video games can be pretty hot at times.

The ps5 and xbox series x have been a scalper feeding frenzy for the better part of a year now, and while it's cooled down somewhat, no signs of it resolving any time soon.

One distinction though is those scalpers just list the item, no extra fuss or stories. Maybe the forum/community aspect of Pinside gives some people pressure that they have to make up something to try to make it look like a "legit" scalp

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from Obed_Marsh:

It's funny that don't see a whole lot of excuses if other scalper markets. Video game consoles and limited edition versions of video games can be pretty hot at times.
The ps5 and xbox series x have been a scalper feeding frenzy for the better part of a year now, and while it's cooled down somewhat, no signs of it resolving any time soon.
One distinction though is those scalpers just list the item, no extra fuss or stories. Maybe the forum/community aspect of Pinside gives some people pressure that they have to make up something to try to make it look like a "legit" scalp

I think that's because flippers are doing this off the backs of distributors who are a big part of the pinball community. If people were buying these off of Amazon or Best Buy and flipping them I don't think people would care as much. I'm friends with several distributors and feel like I would be taking advantage of them if I profited off of the work and support that they offer.

#31 2 years ago

Whatever happened to "I like money"?

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I think that's because flippers are doing this off the backs of distributors who are a big part of the pinball community. If people were buying these off of Amazon or Best Buy and flipping them I don't think people would care as much. I'm friends with several distributors and feel like I would be taking advantage of them if I profited off of the work and support that they offer.

Ya, that is a good point. I'm sure that many hardworking earnest distros that work to do things by the book and are genuinely passionate about the hobby.

However it does seem pretty shady to me when some distros are in on the scalping themselves. I was weighing between an LE and a Premium and I saw that the distro that I got my first NIB pin from was selling LEs day one at 15k. I think it would bother me less if it was an LE that came up after the title was out of production or for whatever reason turned up down the line, but to inflate the price day 1 on an already insanely expensive item seems wrong. I'm surprised Stern allows that actually

#33 2 years ago

How about , I haven't been in this hobby forever and I wanted a "hot game" to trade for one of the many games that are approved by the price police to sell over their retail value and be praised by the other owners as a “Great Deal” you bunch of hipocrites!

#34 2 years ago

Doubt anyone gives the true reason.

im-an-asshole (resized).jpgim-an-asshole (resized).jpg
#35 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

I yes good ole 'Murican capitalism. Probably the number one answer. Never understood the argument of my time is worth something. I mean yeah it is but at several thousands of dollars per hour? So the 15 minutes it took to buy a preorder spot (very generous here) is worth 500...1,000...2,000?

I fully agree this practice is at minimum nasty, and at worst total BS - but the argument isn't "my time is worth several thousand bucks", it's "my timING was better than a buyer, and I have something they don't have"

#36 2 years ago

I like... Fell on a Bullet

vb0ky0btr8c71 (resized).pngvb0ky0btr8c71 (resized).png
#37 2 years ago

Hits keep coming in this crazy hobby.
vaguely remember a few:

-Now building a new house, boat, dispensary etc.
-Owe “taxes”
-Found another (insert model here) with more RGB LEDs.
-Deposit yesterday, sober today, saw wife/fiancé expressions etc, it’s gotta go.
-Box is strapped down 100%. No dimples.
-Serious offers only- I KNOW WHAT I’ve GOT!

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

saw wife/fiancé expressions etc,

A remember a recent one was "My fiancé's parents are not paying for the wedding so I need to sell this" It was a deposit for Mando LE that he purchased the day before.

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

A remember a recent one was "My fiancé's parents are not paying for the wedding so I need to sell this" It was a deposit for Mando LE that he purchased the day before.

That was my favorite so far. What a tool. That poor lady has no idea the kind of moron she is marrying.

#40 2 years ago

“I am selling my spot, I moved after placing the preorder. My new game room cannot accommodate the machine with the topper unfortunately.”

Add, topper won’t fit to the list.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

How about , I haven't been in this hobby forever and I wanted a "hot game" to trade for one of the many games that are approved by the price police to sell over their retail value and be praised by the other owners as a “Great Deal” you bunch of hipocrites!

What is a "hipocrite"?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Game Room Info Shop

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

$ 290.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Beyond Shop

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

16,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 185.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 19.95
$ 100.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
9,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-reasons-le-ce-flippers-give-for-selling-their-spot-at-a-markup?hl=boblabla and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.