Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Loupie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

154209-75056-comic-book-guy_super.gif
    There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 12 years ago
    Quoted from dangermouse007:

+1 Im not a fan of comedy horror

How come both Elvira pins are on your wishlist? I'm pretty sure that would fall under comedy/horror and AFM might make that cut as well. You might like that genre more than you think.

#52 12 years ago

What does one buy a machine for ?
    If you want resale, then buy the top 10, you will find a buyer anytime you want to sell.
    I think one should buy what he has interest in, then sell what lacks interest to him.

Who's gameroom is it anyway?

#53 12 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

dangermouse007
    How come both Elvira pins are on your wishlist?

#54 12 years ago
    Quoted from Babbelman:

Who's gameroom is it anyway?

I don't think anyone was trying to tell anybody else what to buy, do you?

#55 12 years ago

I gotta say STTNG doesn't get it's share of love. Awesome game, but added to tremendously if one is a Star Trek fan. Get's a lot of attention from everyone visiting my game room. Though BSM gets more.

#56 12 years ago

I too do not think TZ has the fun factor to make it a top pin. I do believe there are a lot of ratings out there that are herd mentality, an attempt to gain points, or are posted with little or no game play. I think white water is a turd, I love csi, and think T3 is a fricken blast

I almost never play TZ

#57 12 years ago

TZ is incredible. Great toys. Expensive to make. Deep rules. Well intergrated theme. I stand by the fact, however, that it is not that much fun. Difficult to quantify but... I don't see many people smiling and laughing while playing it. Just cursing under their breath.

I'm cool with others feeling differently, as some of my favorite pins get dissed here.

Maybe I'm off. But I'll stand by my favorites in fun... AFM, MB, BSM.... heck, even CC makes me laugh. Then again, maybe I'm too simplistic.

#58 12 years ago

I wonder how long (if ever) it will take until people are saying WOZ or ZA are the top pins.

#59 12 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I gotta go Simpsons Pinball Party as worst in top 20.

I disagree, I think Funhouse deserves that title. It is waaayyyy too easy and Whirlwind is by far the best alpha-numeric pin.

#60 12 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

I disagree, I think Funhouse deserves that title. It is waaayyyy too easy and Whirlwind is by far the best alpha-numeric pin.

NO way...you?!?!

Not that this will change anything to you, but I was actually referring to the looks of the top 20, not game play.

#61 12 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Not that this will change anything to you, but I was actually referring to the looks of the top 20, not game play.

Ohhhh.....(insert facepalm here)

#62 12 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Ohhhh.....(insert facepalm here)

No worries...if it makes you feel any better I also think Simpsons gameplay is bottom 3.

#63 12 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Whirlwind is by far the best alpha-numeric pin.

+1 Yep followed by Elvira!

#64 12 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

How come both Elvira pins are on your wishlist? [] I'm pretty sure that would fall under comedy/horror and AFM might make that cut as well. You might like that genre more than you think. [8)]

Haha well spotted! I dont find Elvira a cheesey horror more a SEXXXY horror!

Also the playfields in both SS and EATPM would eat TAF alive in the beauty department!

I dont see how LOTR is an ugly playfield unless your talking solely playfield art alone...when i say TAF playfield is ugly i mean everything,chair,bookcase,swamp kickout..even the wiring,switches etc seem far to exposed!

#65 12 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Edit: All trolling removed
    TZ is/was a great game but it can be frustrating. Have you had any "good" games on it docscott? I own one and started hating it after it was shopped out because it was kicking my a$$. Now that i'm getting reacquanited with it, i'm starting to like it again.
    I don't think attributing TZ's popularity to "herd mentality" is fair at all.
    I don't like STTNG much at all but i'm not about to say it's popularity is due to herd mentality. i see why people can like it but don't myself.

Well said.

How do you define "fun" when it comes to pinball? Having an easy pin with little or no challenge might be "fun" to some people because it makes them feel like they are a good player. Screw that. Fun to me is a pin that challenges me. A challenging pin does *not* equate to "work".

TZ is at or near the top spot here at Pinside and IPDB for good reason. There is a lot to like about it. It may not be my favorite pin, but if you go through each of the different rating parameters at Pinside, it ranks highly in virtually every category. Thats why the overall rating is so high.

#66 12 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

I wonder how long (if ever) it will take until people are saying WOZ or ZA are the top pins.

I'll say it now: ZA is the best pin EVAR!!!!

#67 12 years ago
    Quoted from docscott:

TZ is incredible. Great toys. Expensive to make. Deep rules. Well intergrated theme. I stand by the fact, however, that it is not that much fun. Difficult to quantify but... I don't see many people smiling and laughing while playing it. Just cursing under their breath.
    I'm cool with others feeling differently, as some of my favorite pins get dissed here.
    Maybe I'm off. But I'll stand by my favorites in fun... AFM, MB, BSM.... heck, even CC makes me laugh. Then again, maybe I'm too simplistic.

Well you do realize that TZ isn't exactly a humorous theme, right?

Based on your criteria of fun meaning it makes you laugh, there are a ton of pins that you wouldn't think are fun even though they are superb players. Like BSD for example. Not much humor there!

#68 12 years ago

Honch said:How come both Elvira pins are on your wishlist? [] I'm pretty sure that would fall under comedy/horror and AFM might make that cut as well. You might like that genre more than you think. [8)]

Also the playfields in both SS and EATPM would eat TAF alive in the beauty department!
    I dont see how LOTR is an ugly playfield unless your talking solely playfield art alone...when i say TAF playfield is ugly i mean everything,chair,bookcase,swamp kickout..even the wiring,switches etc seem far to exposed!

Quoted from RobT:

davewth said:Edit: All trolling removed
    TZ is/was a great game but it can be frustrating. Have you had any "good" games on it docscott? I own one and started hating it after it was shopped out because it was kicking my a$$. Now that i'm getting reacquanited with it, i'm starting to like it again.
    I don't think attributing TZ's popularity to "herd mentality" is fair at all.
    I don't like STTNG much at all but i'm not about to say it's popularity is due to herd mentality. i see why people can like it but don't myself.
    Well said.
    How do you define "fun" when it comes to pinball? Having an easy pin with little or no challenge might be "fun" to some people because it makes them feel like they are a good player. Screw that. Fun to me is a pin that challenges me. A challenging pin does *not* equate to "work".
    TZ is at or near the top spot here at Pinside and IPDB for good reason. There is a lot to like about it. It may not be my favorite pin, but if you go through each of the different rating parameters at Pinside, it ranks highly in virtually every category. Thats why the overall rating is so high.

you make good points. i haven't had what i consider a good game on tz. I think sometimes the tz rating is a reflection of it's awesomeness.... not fun. Going back to the great toys and game rules, rather than fun. I don't think I'll ever own one, but I'm glad some pins such as TZ are so popular. It helps the hobby.

#69 12 years ago

And here I was going to put you in the category of guys with no taste. I also think the Elvira pins are the most beautiful pins around. As far as LOTR, I was talking mainly about the playfield. I think the BG and cab are ok. You won't get an argument from me about the way TAF looks. It is one of the ugliest of the top rated pins, but I still love it.

#70 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I'll say it now: ZA is the best pin EVAR!!!!

Was bound to happen.

#71 12 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

RobT said:I'll say it now: ZA is the best pin EVAR!!!!
    Was bound to happen.

I just hope that it turns out to be at least semi-true!

#72 12 years ago

Funny how we have totally different opinions.

I love AFM but do not find it easy. White rubbers, new playfield, 9 degree pitch......not easy.

Humor is so important as these are games and that is one reason why MB and SS rate so highly. MB has great call outs and great theme. Easy? Well, depends how you set the game up.

Great games are fun, look great, and have that one more go factor.

#73 12 years ago

TZ is cool to look at. I don't have any fun playing it. STTNG is a pain to play. TAF belongs in the top 10. MM, AFM, LOTR, FH, and TAF are in my top 5. WH2O, MB, IJ, SM, WW round out the top 10 for me.

#74 12 years ago

I have league nights once a month with 9 guys who are not pinheads. I've got TZ sandwiched in between FH and SM. Guess which one the guys love playing? TZ. Don't ask me why because they surely don't totally understand most of the strategies. I think they just really like the super loud Jackpot sounds and the Powerfield action. It totally surprised me.

#75 12 years ago

What am I missing? Flash Gordon doesn't have a DMD.

Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

I do agree, FG has some fantastic callouts, music and DMD graphics.

#76 12 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

What am I missing? Flash Gordon doesn't have a DMD.
    Pin_Crazed said:I do agree, FG has some fantastic callouts, music and DMD graphics.

FG = Family Guy

#77 12 years ago

When people rate games on these forums, I think the popularity is influenced by what aspect a particular personality is drawn to. The true player rates on game play. Then you have those attracted to the esthetics. And of course the ones dawn into machines with the highest monetary value. No one aspect makes the machine's popularity. Overall though, you would at least hope that on a forum for pinball enthusiasts that game play would carry the most weight.
    In the end though, it's fun that counts!

#78 12 years ago

And I believe even serious pins can be fun, captivating, entertaining, fulfilling etc. Just because pin isn't comedic doesn't mean it can't make one smile.

#79 12 years ago
    Quoted from docscott:

. Just because pin isn't comedic doesn't mean it can't make one smile.

LOTR is proof of that. I have a hard time controlling my laughter during the jackpot callouts. Are those supposed to be funny?

#80 12 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

STTNG should be ranked way higher.

Great game, belongs in top 10.

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-pins/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.