Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Rdoyle1978
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Julie_Newmar_Catwoman_Batman_1966 (resized).jpg
    Batman 66 LE (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I was sitting here playing Hobbit and being blown away by the game/ranking (the fact that it should be higher)... and realized the game didn't do so well due to not so amazing software at first. It got me thinking, what games that should be bad have been otherwise saved by software.

I guess the popular answer is batman 66 and walking dead. I would argue that if someone other than Lyman did Metallica that it would be kinda garbage. Any other games that were (or should be) bad that the software basically single handedly saved?

#2 4 years ago

I think the knock on hobbit is the layout, not the code. Also don’t get the Metallica comment because I think the layout is awesome but some people knock the code for being like chopping wood. To each there own though like everything, just stating what I have heard.

#3 4 years ago

ghostbusters software was a big improvement

#4 4 years ago

GB and XMLE. Both games were horribly received and both had major code updates that changed the game play.

Avengers had a great update, but still didn’t save the game from itself.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yoderboy:

I think the knock on hobbit is the layout, not the code. Also don’t get the Metallica comment because I think the layout is awesome but some people knock the code for being like chopping wood. To each there own though like everything, just stating what I have heard.

I think the hobbit layout is odd, but saved by the pop ups (which originally was the things that happened too damn much).

I feel fan layouts are sorta boring and require good software to save them. Lyman made the modes in Metallica organically come as the shots are hit. He saved some of the wood chopping by lighting the lanes to also count towards some of those bashable items. I found it to be damn near genius code, personally. And likewise with batman 66. Normally a clunky uninspired turd of a playfield made amazing with his coding.

#6 4 years ago

Stern KISS

#7 4 years ago

Stern Spider-Man! Original code didn’t have a wizard mode!

#8 4 years ago

Wheel of Fortune.

#9 4 years ago

Walking Dead..big time

#10 4 years ago

I am still fairly new to this hobby so I have not tired of the fan layout yet they are always fun to me. On the other hand I really appreciate games like Jurassic park and Iron Maiden for the unique layouts. I have played potc and woz on lactation and never know what the hell to shoot for, they are gorgeous pins I just wish I could play one in the home setting, not very approachable on location.

#11 4 years ago

People didn't care for Tron at first. Things came around nicely.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yoderboy:

I am still fairly new to this hobby so I have not tired of the fan layout yet they are always fun to me. On the other hand I really appreciate games like Jurassic park and Iron Maiden for the unique layouts. I have played potc and woz on lactation and never know what the hell to shoot for, they are gorgeous pins I just wish I could play one in the home setting, not very approachable on location.

Pump first.

#13 4 years ago

Looking at everyone's answers, its obvious everyone is looking at bad code on release that eventually was made better. I am taking a different view of the question. My answer is the WMS Indy Jones. The layout is as simple as it gets. 2 ramps, orbit, 3 drop targets, and 3 pop bumpers. The lock is pretty neat, but that upper field is just meh. Now, add in the code. It uses all 3 movies with great call outs, has really well done artwork, and the music is awesome.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Notice it's only Sterns.

I think the OP mentioned Hobbit, which is JJP. And WMS games didn’t really get released without drastic updates to the code later.

#16 4 years ago

BM66, Deadpool, star wars, X-Men

#17 4 years ago

CV. Home rom was a big improvement.

#18 4 years ago

Ouch.

That pin is awesome looking. Damn inserts that never light up.... good job stern.

#19 4 years ago

Star Wars. One of the best rulesets in Pinball.

#20 4 years ago

TWD, Stern Star Trek, and Deadpool.

3 weeks later
    #21 4 years ago

Batman 66 really is a fine game and shows how coding can make or break a pinball machine.

Batman 66 LE (resized).jpgBatman 66 LE (resized).jpg
    #22 4 years ago

B66 popped in to my head too. I'll say Houdini though. The layout is so bad they had to make all the bricked shots give you a multiball. The game still sucks though, don't get me wrong. That code just made it suck slightly worse

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

TWD, Stern Star Trek, and Deadpool.

See, all three of those games have fun shots, however. They each have at least one very smooth, satisfying shot to hit. Batman has none of that. Granted the software is good on them, no doubt.

#24 4 years ago

Metallica
    Twd
    Kiss
    Gb - I didn’t mind it original but the new code is better
    X-men
    I’ve heard wwe became better but I haven’t played

I had another game but can’t think of it now

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

See, all three of those games have fun shots, however. They each have at least one very smooth, satisfying shot to hit. Batman has none of that. Granted the software is good on them, no doubt.

TWD, Stern Star Trek, and Deadpool are great fun . But Batman 66 has ........
    Julie_Newmar_Catwoman_Batman_1966 (resized).jpgJulie_Newmar_Catwoman_Batman_1966 (resized).jpg

#26 4 years ago

TWD seems the n°1 on this topic, not only because it remain one of the most hard pinball to play/master... but as often/always, Lyman have finally made a pure master class pinball out of it

and about ST, i bought it later & when thre was a finished code, and this pin is great for sure
    than, the other day, found/played a ST on exploitation, with old code 1.01 on it (or something near that), and than i realize the gameplay was pure sh*t as it ! this was night & day

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

TWD, Stern Star Trek, and Deadpool are great fun . But Batman 66 has ........
    [quoted image]

Well. I'm sold..

#28 4 years ago

You win the internet.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-pins-where-the-software-saved-the-game?hl=yoderboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.