Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by goatdan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 11 years ago

Sums it up pretty well I think.

I don't think that Avatar is that bad of a pin, but still consider it a flop based on the overall response from the pin community. This was the first title where a *lot* of people pre-ordered the LE for the sole purpose of reselling it at a profit. A lot of people got caught holding the bag.

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Time changes the perspective of flops rather dramatically.

Indeed.

I don't understand the TZ being a flop on route in terms of earnings. How the hell did they sell so many of them if they weren't making money for ops?

WoF is an interesting one, because I don't think anyone had any kind of high expectations for that one based on theme. If anything, WoF is a pin where the actual game play far exceeds the very mediocre theme. If only Stern finished the software...

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

RobT said:I don't understand the TZ being a flop on route in terms of earnings. How the hell did they sell so many of them if they weren't making money for ops?
    Riding on TAF's coattails?

I'm sure that is a big part of it..

#73 11 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

RobT said:I don't understand the TZ being a flop on route in terms of earnings. How the hell did they sell so many of them if they weren't making money for ops?
    Games weren't built like they are today, for demand. They were built with some sort of general idea in mind. If you made too many, you either forced distributors to carry them, or blew them out cheap. If you made to few, well, you should've bought earlier, sorry -- we can't rerun them (see: MM).
    In TZ's case, it was the follow up to one of the most popular games of all time, which had been earning really solidly on route. So why wouldn't you expect the same thing? Gear up a ton, sell a ton based on the earlier reputation... and then low and behold, the clock broke, or something else went wrong, and you were constantly out there for a game no players really understood or were playing.
    A local op told me a year or so ago that they kept a TZ because it was the owners favorite game, but it always made about half of what anything else on location made. They finally retired it because of that. TZ was a total route dog, and you can pretty much lay the blame the failure of RS to be made as much as it was directly at it's feet.
    But again, my point isn't that TZ is a bad game -- I know a LOT of people that would vehemently deny that. It's just that the definition of "flop" really changes depending on your perspective.

Good post, thanks for the response.

#74 11 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

The worst Sterns being IJ and TRS closely followed by IM, Avatar, BBH, 24, CSI and Tron.

Strongly disagree. IM and Tron are both great pins, and Avatar isn't as bad as many people say. I also can have fun playing BBH.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-pinball-flops?tu=robt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.