• 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by mof
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181225_170925 (resized).jpg
576049055435a.image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider diospinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 5 years ago

Well, I'll just say not having Firepower at the number 1 metal album of the year. Means that list is full of crap. They even went on to admit Firepower is better than 90 % of Priests albums... And yet still not number 1...
Sorry Priest is a top 5 metal band of all time. Those other bands can't even hold a candle to Priest.
And I do think Firepower is a top 5 Priest album.

And also Michael Schenker's new album Resurrection wasn't on the list... Yeah... Guy is one of the most influential guitarists in Heavy Metal history. And that is a fantastic album... Garbage list with only garbage new metal.
The old wave of metal bands is and will forever be superior than the new wave.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's why we did not have a poll, lol
Pinsiders would simply vote for the band they listened to in high school, and then it would be over.
-
Same as the upcoming Grammys.
Old men will bltch: "I don't even watch the Grammys! It's a bunch of black guys I've never heard of! They never have any bands I like winning anything!"
Then you ask them "What artist had a release in 2018 that you felt was slighted by the Grammys?"
And they answer "2018?? I don't know, I mean, I just like the old stuff. Hell, I have not bought any new music in 20 years. Oh wait, I did get the Beatles box set.....but I guess that's not really new....."
Educate yourself, so you are not the old man at the coffee machine in your office:
12. Best Rock Performance
For new vocal or instrumental solo, duo/group or collaborative rock recordings.
FOUR OUT OF FIVE
Arctic Monkeys
WHEN BAD DOES GOOD
Chris Cornell
MADE AN AMERICA
THE FEVER 333
HIGHWAY TUNE
Greta Van Fleet
UNCOMFORTABLE
Halestorm
13. Best Metal Performance
For new vocal or instrumental solo, duo/group or collaborative metal recordings.
CONDEMNED TO THE GALLOWS
Between The Buried And Me
HONEYCOMB
Deafheaven
ELECTRIC MESSIAH
High On Fire
BETRAYER
Trivium
ON MY TEETH
Underoath
14. Best Rock Song
A Songwriter(s) Award. Includes Rock, Hard Rock and Metal songs. A song is eligible if it was first released or if it first achieved prominence during the Eligibility Year. (Artist names appear in parentheses.) Singles or Tracks only.
BLACK SMOKE RISING
Jacob Thomas Kiszka, Joshua Michael Kiszka, Samuel Francis Kiszka & Daniel Robert Wagner, songwriters (Greta Van Fleet)
JUMPSUIT
Tyler Joseph, songwriter (Twenty One Pilots)
MANTRA
Jordan Fish, Matthew Kean, Lee Malia, Matthew Nicholls & Oliver Sykes, songwriters (Bring Me The Horizon)
MASSEDUCTION
Jack Antonoff & Annie Clark, songwriters (St. Vincent)
RATS
Tom Dalgety & A Ghoul Writer, songwriters (Ghost)
15. Best Rock Album
For albums containing at least 51% playing time of new rock, hard rock or metal recordings.
RAINIER FOG
Alice In Chains
M A N I A
Fall Out Boy
PREQUELLE
Ghost
FROM THE FIRES
Greta Van Fleet
PACIFIC DAYDREAM
Weezer

Grammy's and rock hall of fame is all BS. Never had anything to do with metal ever. Iron Maiden the greatest metal band of all time has like one grammy. Michael Schenker has never been nominated for a grammy. And I don't think Dio was ever nominated for a Grammy... Dio the greatest metal singer of all time. Grammy's are worthless paperweights nothing more.
And I'm not old. I'm 35... Did I listen to this music in high school. Yes, I took so much Sh** for doing so. It was not cool or popular to do so. But, this is the music I've always liked and loved.
And again... I wish there were good new metal bands... There are a few songs here and there... But, by and large every time I hear a new band. They either can't put a full album together, or every song is the same, or the singer is trash, or they're just heavy for the sake of being heavy. To me the key to heavy metal is being as heavy and loud as you can be, but not lose the melody.
I remember seeing Iron Maiden and Steve Harris' daughter's band was playing as the opening act. They covered natural thing by UFO(Schenker's old band), and the guitarist was more interested in shredding that he lost the melody. Schenker can shred, but he knows not to lose the melody, and so they just butchered a classic.
And as stated. Priest has been around since mid 70s... Been the best of the best since then. If they have an album that is 90% better than all their prior albums. How can it not be at least in the top 5 for this year.
That logic invalidates this list. Because, I really doubt half those bands will last half as long as Priest.
Oh and Schenker has been around just as long and kicks just as much ass.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The Grammy's are decided by 12,000 members, made up of musicians, producers, engineers, songwriters....you know, people in the business of making music.
Members are asked to only vote on genre that they are familiar with.

Firepower did not get outstanding reviews.
Metacritic average for all published reviews is only 77
Even the fans only voted it a 78 (usually fans are much more enthusiastic than the professionals, lol)
https://www.metacritic.com/music/firepower/judas-priest/critic-reviews
So it's understandable that it was not at the #1 spot for most review sites "Best Metal of 2018", but it did make a strong showing - not bad for a band that's been around since 1969!

Well... First reviews tend to be bs most of the time too. Time will be the true arbiter. And I go off of my gut. And I think Firepower was awesome.
But, lets see.... First... The music industry has always hated heavy metal. Why the purge of artists in the early 90s when they were still making money.
Anthrax's sound of white noise. An amazing album. At the time their best selling album a successful album. And yet they were fired from their label.
And many other metal acts were dumped just like that. Even if they were still popular.

But, lets see... While I hate metallica... Jethro Tull winning first Grammy...
Okay... Don't need to go on.

But, again... The music industry does not understand heavy metal. Never has, never will. Too many great acts have never even been nominated.

#36 5 years ago

Good music is good music... And no... He had Warrior... which at 3/4 a million views might seem like garbage. But, what radio station plays new music from old rock/metal acts.
The few rock stations will only play UFO era schenker. They might play a few MSG tracks for the 80s.
But, they don't by and large play the new stuff.
And Warrior is a great track.
I think better than all the stuff out there.
Again... This is a just a popularity contest. But, guess what. Schenker still puts butts in seats. There just is no place to play his music in todays market.
So for being underground. I'd say he's more popular than a lot of those acts.
Has been more popular. and will remain more popular.

Oh... And his work will live on far surpassing 99% of those bands. People still talk about Rock Bottom. And quite frankly thats not even the best he's played or done.

Sounds like the Grammy's need to go out and actually listen to music... It is what they claim to know about... Sounds like again. As I said. THEY KNOW JACK AND SHI** And jack just left town...

#37 5 years ago

PS... Love the tall man. Big fan of Phanstasm and also Don Conserilli in general. And if you do doubt schenkers appeal. Look at the festivals he plays at. Generally he is the 2nd tier for the names. And a lot of the "New" bands are below him. And he's above most of them.... Not too shabby. Cos again he's all about the music. And for voters not to know about him is just bullshit.
Name a guitarist in the industry and they probably were influenced by him.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Nirvana.
When an almost unknown band knocks Pedophile Jackson off the top of the charts and sells 30 million copies of their disc, the jig was up for hair metal.

Wasn't just up for hair metal. Grunge killed ALL METAL.
It was a calculated hit job that both the record executives, media, and Alt acts all played along with.
Which is why I was sick to my stomach when Billy Corgen was allowed to go on that metal show, along with the Pearl Jam people(who gushed about Schenker btw). They all said horrible things about metal and mocked it.

And mind you Hair Metal was very overstated. I hate when people call an act hair metal that wasn't or isn't. Tesla and Great White got wrapped up in the whole Hair Metal scene, and to an extent White Snake(white snake did however embrace the image... But, Jon Sykes is an amazing guitarist and Slide it In Produced by Martin Birch is an all time classic hard rock album... Birch also produced Assault Attack for Schenks).

And I don't really care much for hair metal. They had some good songs and moments... But, all metal was banned with the arrival of Grunge. No matter how popular you still were.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's true.
Lot's of oldie acts in the top 100 concert earners:
Top Concert Gross 2018
===============
1. Ed Sheeran - $429,491,502
2. Taylor Swift - $315,186,362
3. Beyoncé & Jay-Z - $253,514,983
4. Bruno Mars - $237,770,168
5. Pink - $180,402,074
6. Justin Timberlake - $149,277,272
7. U2 - $119,203,900
8. The Rolling Stones - $117,844,618
9. Kenny Chesney - $114,333,176
--->Then cherry picking just the rock acts:
12. Foo Fighters – $53.6 million
19. Metallica – $40.6 million
21. Bon Jovi – $38 million
22. Phil Collins – $38 million
35. Queen + Adam Lambert – $23.9 million
43. Journey / Def Leppard – $21.2 million
51. Rod Stewart – $18.2 million
52. Iron Maiden – $17.3 million
53. Kid Rock – $17.1 million
83. Avenged Sevenfold – $10.5 million
91. Scorpions – $10.1 million
94. Santana – $9.3 million

Hmmmm....
Guess what mate... Michael Schenker was a founding member of Scorpions.
Also when he left UFO. He did one album with them, lovedrive, he only did it to fill the gap and as a favor for his brother. That album was the breakthrough album that helped pave the way to the stateside success of Scorpions with their blackout, and then Love at First sting album.

They did their first arena shows with Schenker. And then he left Scorpions... Lots of reasons. But, I think mainly he doesn't like playing other peoples music and he wants to do what he wants to do, when he wants to do it.
Doesn't matter if him and his brother are on the outs now. He was and is a part of that success. And Scorps drummer Herman Rarebell, and their long time bassist are in Schenker's Temple of Rock band.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Music is a fickle biz. Nobody wants to listen to their grandfather's music.
Metal bands still toured after the kids turned to grunge.
Hair metal bands like Def Lep, Dokken and Crue all put out grunge albums to try and sound current.

No... Bands went from arena's to not being able to sell out a small club. I don't think there was ever before or sense a death of a whole genre as quickly as the death of heavy metal.
And it wasn't just hte whole nobody wants to hear their fathers music.
Yes, fickle... But, they just didn't care if you were profitable. If you weren't the IT, you were kicked and beaten bloody left on the curb.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

C'mon, tell us something we don't all know.

Not sure you knew that. Most people never heard of the man...
GRAMMY VOTERS SURE AS HELL NEVER HAVE!!!!!
And yet his reach, his influence is as vast as ANY musician on that ever walked.
I think he's the Chuck Berry of heavy metal.
Schenker was UFO, and Iron Maiden is UFO on steroids.
Listen to most heavy metal solos, and that's the Schenker template. He is the one most people channel.
Randy Rhodes was a big fan of Schenker. In so much that's why he played the V.
My point is. There is a huge under current of amazing music. That never gets acknowledge. Cos Grammy voters are too lazy, too stupid, too arrogant, or too ignorant to actually know anything beyond the vacuous reach of pop culture.
Never minding that the foundations of some of the things that they like are held aloft by the real giants.
I think Dio summed it up best with his song Rainbow in the Dark, and that is what Heavy Metal is. A Rainbow in the Dark. And no Grammy voter has ever, EVER SEEN true Heavy Metal.

#48 5 years ago

Okay... I want to get off of Schenker for just a little bit... I'll make this easy on you... And yes, while they are now in the shame of a ROCK HOF. How many Grammy's does Jon Lord... Or Deep Purple have... You seem to be good with researching these things... Better than ever I was with the hard numbers. Deep Purple was on of the biggest and greatest bands on the planet for a number of years, and they set the foundation for so many great things.
The greatest Metal producer ever Martin Birch cut his teeth on Purple albums... He produced(uncredited but trust me he produced it) Machine Head for them and other albums. Birch would go on to be Iron Maiden's producer and well... Don't need to go on from there.
Roger Glover a bassist for Deep Purple produced 4 albums with a young Ronald Padavona.
And when Ritchie Blackmore wanted to leave Deep Purple. He convinced young Ronnie to join a band with him. Young Ronnie agreed, so long as he could take his band with him. That band became Rainbow.
And of course Ronald Padavona's real name is Ronnie James Dio(Padavona was his birth name, real name is and forever will be Dio).
Rainbow was then one of the biggest and most important Rock acts of the mid to late 70s and had the amazing Rising album... An album that is so very influential to Heavy Metal....
Then Dio got kicked to the curb.
And he joined Black Sabbath and had another incredible influential album. Heaven and Hell.
That, Rising, and his later to come Holy Diver all set the standard for what Heavy Metal was/is/should be.
That all is due to deep purple... So.. How many Grammy's from all that history... And without that history.
There would be no heavy metal. Not like how we know it to be.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Old school hard rock/metal fan here. Been listening to Priest since 82 and I don't like FirePower. It's not better than Screaming for Vengeance, Defenders of the Faith, or even Painkiller. Damn sure ain't better than Stained Class or Hell Bent for Leather. Get your freakin' ears checked. By the way, Dianno Maiden is the ONLY Maiden..............

Well... Not a big fan of Defenders mate...
My top 5 Priest albums are Stained Class, Screaming, Pain Killer, British Steel, Firepower... I think Defenders and Ram it down while better album than Turbo... Don't have any songs that are bad ass and grab you. At least Turbo has Turbo Lover. Which is a good song... But, the rest of the album is weak sauce.
And dude...
I bet I have more Paul Di'anno albums then you...
Do you have Nomad or The Living Dead... Same album different name. But, its a really good album. The Living Dead song is beyond epic.
I own all his Battle Zone albums even have the cassette of the 2nd one as that has overloaded and my cd doesn't have that song on it.
I own 1 of his 2 killer albums. Murder One. Great album. S and M great song, and Marshal Lockjaw is a great one too.
I then have his weird ass album of covers that he did... Its.... Interesting
So I love Paul Di'anno... Even bought his autobiography... Which is hilarious.

#51 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Out of 12,000 music industry professionals, most obviously have heard of MSG
But he simply did not do anything outstanding in 2018 to get nominated for a Grammy.
He did not have a hit song, he did not play on any Ariana Grande tracks, he did not invent any new genre of music - honestly, he put out an album that sounded like it was recorded in 1981 and just released last year.

Sorry... Schenker never had an album sound like his newest. Warrior alone is a great unique sounding song. He never did a duet and having 5 singers on it is pretty unique. And also...
Not sorry.
This is Hard Rock..
THis is Heavy Metal.

SO it better damn well sound like 1981... Or its not done right.
So that just invalidates everything you said. He plays better than any god damn of those BANDS you listed. He'd play them under the table, even when he was Drunk schenker.

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The HOF is simply a tourist attraction.
It's not an industry association that recognizes the greatest works from the previous year.

Yes... But, I cant find any "GRAMMY's" for Purple or Jon Lord.
Jon Lord kind of was Purple.
And as I said. Purple laid the ground work for so much of heavy metal.
As I said. Just like the RHOF, Grammy's are meaningless to a heavy metal artist.

#54 5 years ago

Where was the Grammy for Chemical Wedding. That was the underground metal album and the Album that got Bruce back into Maiden.
Where was the Grammy for Halfords Ressurction... Which might just be one of the best albums Halford ever played on. No recognition. Why... Because Bruce Dickinson and Halford don't have the name recoginition for the Vacuass Grammy voters.
COS THEY DON"T KNOW METAL. You claim they are not supposed to vote if they don't know about the genre.
News flash. They still do, and they only pick the popular stuff they heard of. They don't listen around. They just do the small 1% of PC BULL SHIT MUSIC.
GRAMMY's are shit. And meaningless.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

What are you talking about??????
Iron Maiden has been nominated for 4 Grammys, and won one in 2010
Judas Priest has been nominated for 5 Grammys, and won one in 2009.
-
Relax a little, if bands put out outstanding work, the industry takes notice.

Yes... But, the Maiden nomination have been for some of their worst work.
Chemical Wedding is Bruce's magnum opus. It's an intense start to finish masterpiece. It set the metal world afire, and was a huge underground hit. But, no Grammy. Same thing for Resurrection for Halford.
If these amazing albums cannot even get a nomination that is telling in the fact that the VOTERS DON'T know SHIT! They only know as I said the 1% of music, they kind of heard of... Maybe heard of... They don't listen to it to find the great but obscure.
And again... They do that for other genres. They just don't do it for METAL. Cos metal is the bastard genre. Always has been, always will be.
And I'm okay with that. Cos as a metal head, we don't need them.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

What are you talking about??????
Iron Maiden has been nominated for 4 Grammys, and won one in 2010
Judas Priest has been nominated for 5 Grammys, and won one in 2009.
-
Relax a little, if bands put out outstanding work, the industry takes notice.

If Chemical Wedding and Resurrection were released as an Iron Maiden or Judas Priest album respectively. Then they would hands down been nominated for a grammy... But they weren't. That is why Grammy's are Bullshit. Cos those dipshits never HEARD OF BRUCE DICKINSON or Rob Halford. They know the names of the bands kinda sorta.

#58 5 years ago

Oh and further proof Metal is a bastard. The metal awards don't get announced live on tv.

#60 5 years ago

Lots please me. Just not the disrespect the grammy's have for heavy metal.

#61 5 years ago

Oh and that Lady GAGA metalicca incident. Again I hate metallica. But, Hetfield having a dead mic... Sure that was an accident.
And I got a bridge to sell anyone who will believe that.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There is simply no pleasing you.
You want 2% of the music market, to get the headliner spot?
There are 80 categories, and only the most popular get their 5 minutes of airtime.

But.... In hindsight... You might be right... My friends and family tell me I am full of hate. That I hate most things. Except Dio, Dolph, Iron Maiden, Schenker, Highlander, Triumph, and Pinball... And that's about it... So maybe I am full of hate.
Just been kicked too much by the other 98% to give a damn about them.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider diospinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-metal-albums-of-2018-?tu=diospinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.