Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

94B0F20F-B15B-419C-B76D-7623C67CE37C (resized).jpeg
8B5F6341-DC36-4740-BEFD-865820272BCA (resized).jpeg
46AEA1A7-281D-4B7E-975D-681DE8313E96 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

This is Williams Top Hand
To start the game will fully reset properly and play a game properly and go into game over properly. All steppers are cleaned, rivets shinny...
The issue I am trying to resolve is...if you were to turn the game off in the middle of a game and then turn it back on and hit the left flipper "wake" up switch to trip the lock in (hold) coil, the score reels should reset and the ball count should count back down to home so it then goes into game over and is ready for coin up. The score reels are resetting but the ball count is not stepping down to home. What it is doing is, zeroing the score reels and then kicking out the ball to the shooter lane. When I was all done going through the machine, the very first power up it worked properly in the "left in middle of game" state but now I can only get score reels to reset.
Does anyone have any insight on which switch(es) may be the culprit cause I'm stumped. Or whats suppose to do what when powered back on from a game that was in play yet. Thanks.

#2 4 years ago

Some schematic clips

46AEA1A7-281D-4B7E-975D-681DE8313E96 (resized).jpeg46AEA1A7-281D-4B7E-975D-681DE8313E96 (resized).jpeg94B0F20F-B15B-419C-B76D-7623C67CE37C (resized).jpeg94B0F20F-B15B-419C-B76D-7623C67CE37C (resized).jpeg8B5F6341-DC36-4740-BEFD-865820272BCA (resized).jpeg8B5F6341-DC36-4740-BEFD-865820272BCA (resized).jpeg
#3 4 years ago

Nitch that, if I start a game and play a few balls then turn it off then back on it kicks the ball out and starts right where you left off. I just cant tell from schematics if this is normal or if it should when turned back on zero ball count unit and reels and enter game over?

#4 4 years ago

You are reading into this too much. My Gulfstream does exactly the same thing. I believe the machine is looking for a ball in the trough. I always have to shoot one more ball for it to allow me to reset the machine if I happened to turn it off mid-game. Pretty much only happens when grandkids are over and they don’t finish a game. IMHO, trying to fix this non-issue will only lead you to causing more problems that will give you real headaches.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

You are reading into this too much. My Gulfstream does exactly the same thing. I believe the machine is looking for a ball in the trough. I always have to shoot one more ball for it to allow me to reset the machine if I happened to turn it off mid-game. Pretty much only happens when grandkids are over and they don’t finish a game. IMHO, trying to fix this non-issue will only lead you to causing more problems that will give you real headaches.

Maybe I am, it will let me reset to a new game as soon as it kicks out the ball to shooter lane. Just seems odd that upon turning on, having it continue right where it left off. But I can coin it up and the ball already in shooter lane is ball one now, no error to ball count all works as it should.

#6 4 years ago

I knew of another Top Hand in the area and reached out to the owner to stop by and take a look at theirs for comparison. Theirs had the same erroneous loose wires near the lock relay, and when I played it and turned it off mid game, then turned it back on it did the exact same thing. When you'd hit the left flipper to "wake" it up, it immediately kicked the ball to the shooter lane and you could continue where you left off. So either both have the same glitch or its just normal behavior. I am going with the later. Also the schematic has one or two errors on it which didn't help. It shows a lock relay switch with grey/blue wire, that doesn't exist on the lock relay, also some wire colors going to switches didn't match the schematics.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-hand-ball-cnt-not-zeroing-when-turned-off-on-in-middle-of-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.