Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by xsvtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    Cruise (resized).jpeg
    GOLD WINGS PST 1 (resized).jpg
    80DAB928-3781-4CDA-9C99-BD40F666D15B.jpeg
    996FC0BC-87FA-4426-A221-09B934ACA5D2.jpeg
    56D0C66A-5F18-4E0D-BC31-DD44A2772746 (resized).png
    There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

Just watched the trailer for this movie and I’m pumped! This needs to be a new pin!

#2 4 years ago

Thought the same thing I am pumped for this film after watching the trailer looks like it will be a fun watch we deserve a real Top Gun Pinball.

#3 4 years ago

Kind of weak sauce there. Hey look we got the bar singing and the beach games like the old one yada yada. Oh no it's OK it's Goose's son...blah

EDIT: Duh....memberberries was the term I was looking for.

#4 4 years ago

No more Tomcats.......Boo!

#5 4 years ago

I feel the need for speed, lets get that pin built.

#6 4 years ago

I’m so in!!!!

#7 4 years ago

Needs a mode where danger zone by Kenny starts playing!!

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Theo_Ioannis:

No more Tomcats.......Boo!

TomCats were retired over a decade ago. The Super Hornet is where it at! The Navy just declared initial operational capability with the F-35C. So, I suppose it will be in the next movie!

#9 4 years ago

The last frame shows a (maybe cgi stuff) tomcat!

Anyway, you can look at it as a bunch of old guys remake or you can just enjoy it the way it is withouth further questions.
    The girl seems to be 'new'

I'm going to watch it for sure in theatre.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

TomCats were retired over a decade ago. The Super Hornet is where it at! The Navy just declared initial operational capability with the F-35C. So, I suppose it will be in the next movie!

56D0C66A-5F18-4E0D-BC31-DD44A2772746 (resized).png56D0C66A-5F18-4E0D-BC31-DD44A2772746 (resized).png
    #11 4 years ago

The 80's WINS !

#12 4 years ago

I thought the trailer looked great. Bring it on. Feel like this is a genre of movie that doesn't get made often (flight combat / awesome 80s)..haha

2 years later
    #13 1 year ago

What a fun ride!
    Quite surprising especially for how long it was delayed.

Anyone else check it out over the weekend?

#14 1 year ago

You guys did it! Delayed for 2 years, it’s as good as ever. Considering he does all his own stunts and they are EXTREME … I want Tom Cruises’s life.

996FC0BC-87FA-4426-A221-09B934ACA5D2.jpeg996FC0BC-87FA-4426-A221-09B934ACA5D2.jpeg80DAB928-3781-4CDA-9C99-BD40F666D15B.jpeg80DAB928-3781-4CDA-9C99-BD40F666D15B.jpeg

#15 1 year ago

This movie in IMAX was pretty awesome.
    Practical effects well done.

#16 1 year ago

This is available for gold wings owners.

GOLD WINGS PST 1 (resized).jpgGOLD WINGS PST 1 (resized).jpg
    #17 1 year ago

Saw it at the giant IMAX. My short no-spoilers review:

Plot surprises: 0/10
    Originality: 0/10
    Realistic to actual life: 0/10
    Love story: 0/10

None of that matters though:

Overall awesomeness: 11/10

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

This is the perfect review, my experience exactly

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from jitneystand1:

This is the perfect review, my experience exactly

Sweeeeeet!

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vino:

This movie in IMAX was pretty awesome.
    Practical effects well done.

If you’ll remember, when top gun came out, it was a triple play. At the exact moment - big screen tv’s were sub $1.5k, dvd player were $250 and home surround systems were $1k. All cheap enough and what movie do you want to test out your newly purchased badassery? Top Gun was #1 dvd played on loop and sold in every electronics store.

#21 1 year ago

Movie was amazing. They sure don’t make ‘em like this anymore. Going to see it again.

IMAX is worth it.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from radium:

IMAX is worth it.

Dammit, yes, I’m ready to go again. $25 but who cares.

Quoted from Pinstein:

This is available for gold wings owners.
    [quoted image]

That image is weird in a number of different ways. But mainly, the big fighter jet. It seems to represent the first film, so it should be an F-14. But heck, it’s not even an F-18. Looks like an F-15, USAF.

#23 1 year ago

Diddo here. The must see movie of the summer. I am also very critical of sequals and they pulled this off very well.

#24 1 year ago

I just saw it today on an imax screen. Movie was great, go see it! It was my first imax movie in maybe 10 or 15 years. I was not that impressed with screen. Maybe regular movies are getting bigger screens but it was not that impressive. Still, go see the movie!

Cheers,

#25 1 year ago

See this movie asap as soon as you can in theaters, ideally a Dolby Cinema theater. Just saw it tonight in an AMC Dolby Cinema theater with Atmos, amazing!

#26 1 year ago

My wife is suddenly into Top Gun. We watched the original again and plan to see the sequel this weekend. Never one to miss an opportunity, I’ve leveraged this into approval for an F14 Tomcat as my next pin!

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from cliff_clavin:

I just saw it today on an imax screen. Movie was great, go see it! It was my first imax movie in maybe 10 or 15 years. I was not that impressed with screen. Maybe regular movies are getting bigger screens but it was not that impressive. Still, go see the movie!
    Cheers,

Unfortunately the label IMAX has lost a lot of its meaning. It is used to label a variety of screen sizes and projector types. The original big stadium theaters have the gigantic screens. Those are the best ones to go to, but there are not a whole lot of them still going. These are usually called 15/70 as they used to use the original huge 70mm film projectors. Those film projectors are all gone now other than maybe a very small handful that are left, such as driven by Christopher Nolan for Tenet. All the theaters use digital projection now. There are different digital projectors, 2K, 4K, etc.

Somewhat sadly they obscure the details of what is available to you as a paying customer. It is difficult if not impossible to get a straight answer as to the screen size and the exact projection tech being used in a specific theater. They just label everything with marketing buzzwords like ScreenX, RPX, or other crap that has no meaning. This type of stuff is what drove the common use of the derogatory term Liemax to refer to crappy puny theaters that are labeled with the IMAX name.

If your IMAX show wasn’t awesome, it was probably Liemax. Luckily I am fairly near a giant (90x65 feet) 15/70 stadium theater, and this movie was awesome on that.

#28 1 year ago

People used to go to the movies to see a film on the big screen. With the evolution of home theaters and sound systems, people could afford to buy a superior setup at home also referred to as a big screen, and rivaling the movie theater experience. As mentioned, this happened right as Top Gun came out and once it was released to video, it was the definitive dvd that you could demonstrate your home system. Also it was #1 film used in consumer electronics stores to sell big tv’s and projectors and 5.1 / 6.1 / 7.1 sound systems. The movie is dripping in testosterone and home theaters can really shine bright, like a diamond. IMAX took things to the next level with picture size, picture detail and sound on 70mm format. I wonder if one day the home theater can evolve into become more of an IMAX experience where everything is just better. IMAX 3D is pretty good too but require viewer to wear special glasses. Home theaters have already cracked the 3D market without requiring glasses, but it doesn’t seem so popular now because of lack of content.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

People used to go to the movies to see a film on the big screen. With the evolution of home theaters and sound systems, people could afford to buy a superior setup at home also referred to as a big screen, and rivaling the movie theater experience. As mentioned, this happened right as Top Gun came out and once it was released to video, it was the definitive dvd that you could demonstrate your home system. Also it was #1 film used in consumer electronics stores to sell big tv’s and projectors and 5.1 / 6.1 / 7.1 sound systems. The movie is dripping in testosterone and home theaters can really shine bright, like a diamond. IMAX took things to the next level with picture size, picture detail and sound on 70mm format. I wonder if one day the home theater can evolve into become more of an IMAX experience where everything is just better. IMAX 3D is pretty good too but require viewer to wear special glasses. Home theaters have already cracked the 3D market without requiring glasses, but it doesn’t seem so popular now because of lack of content.

Yeah, it was a blast seeing the film in theaters. I recently upgraded my home theater, 120" 2:39 screen, dual 15" subwoofers, new receiver, new 4K projector, Dolby Atmos 5.2.2 setup (two Atmos speakers in the ceiling). It's awesome but I'll admit seeing the movie at an AMC Dolby Theater on the big screen with a crazy sound setup + massive screen is superior. I only go to the theaters now for certain big spectacle type movies, Top Gun Maverick is one of them that is well worth it IMO. Plus its fun to go out with my wife and make a date night out of it with dinner.

My biggest complain about going to the movies is that there's always at least one rude person, it's one of the reasons why I built my own home theater. Someone is either talking during the movie or is on their phone which is distracting. No amount of "Please don't talk during the movie" and "Turn your phone off" ads seems to stop everyone, some people just don't care if they are rude. Sure enough like clockwork this happened yesterday for me in a theater with maybe 30 people in it.

#30 1 year ago

I’m onboard with everything you’ve said and will add one new element. I haven’t been back to the movies in awhile because of Covid concerns. But I guess now we are pretty much back to business and people have been inoculated so I’m going to see Top Gun 2, soon. I’ll find a theater with a good set up and discover what Maverick’s been up to. Of course I’ve read the plot and a few reviews but I have this need to feel blast of hot air blowing across my chest hair as my eardrums shatter from Dolby THX symphony in surround mode.

#31 1 year ago

At the IMAX we went to, the seats shook like crazy during the low frequency blasting and explosion parts, it almost felt like they had installed shakers right in the seats. Pretty awesome. I'm going to try to go again, I want to see it again and there are a few specific things I want to watch for next time. (Not putting an spoilers in this thread, at least yet).

#32 1 year ago

I saw it tonight and it was spectacular. Loved it. I’ll bet Tom Cruise has run more miles on screen than every actor other than Forrest Gump.

#33 1 year ago

One of the rare movies where the sequel was better than the original. I have a pretty nice home theater (atmos, 4k, the whole nine) it was worth seeing this movie in theaters.

#34 1 year ago

Gold Wings is a under rated pin but still love it. Would think a Top Gun Pin would sell well.

#35 1 year ago

If you wait to see TG2 (Top Gun 2) until June 10th, you might catch JWD (Jurassic World: Dominion) on the same visit. Previews for that one look great too and it might be the best JP sequel yet. 2 blockbusters to jump start your 2022 Summer.

#36 1 year ago

Went and saw the movie and really enjoyed it. Then my son... who was just commissioned as an Ensign in the Navy and will be going to flight school at the end of the month... had to tell me everything that was wrong with the movie pertaining to Navy regs... the jets... etc. Ha!

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from Foo:

Went and saw the movie and really enjoyed it. Then my son... who was just commissioned as an Ensign in the Navy and will be going to flight school at the end of the month... had to tell me everything that was wrong with the movie pertaining to Navy regs... the jets... etc. Ha!

Cool your son is going to flight school. He can thank Tom Cruise for keeping it open (haha). I’ve heard they frown on you flying below the 5k foot flight deck.

#38 1 year ago

The entire movie from beginning to end is completely nonsensical, even approaching dumbness. If you start to think about and analyze any aspect of the movie it is all goofy, from the characters who are actually caricatures, the nonsensical plot details, the way the jets are flown, the final battle scenes, and so on. In this, it is very similar to the original Top Gun.

But like the original, somehow, the whole thing forms together and becomes something that is far greater than the sum of its parts. You are never bored from the minute it starts until the end (well maybe a bit during the smoochy parts). It sucks you in and you go along for the ride and the whole thing is fun as hell and of course the jet photography is just plain awesome. I’m looking forward to blasting it on the home theater over and over, but man it was a great time to see it on the big screen.

I think a lot of it is due to the creativity and vision of Tony Scott. Sure he is gone now, but it is no secret that they kept his inspiration alive for Maverick.

#39 1 year ago

I can’t even imagine another Top Gun, but yeet a Top Gun 3 movie and I’ll see it at the theater. In it, 80 year old Maverick has been summoned by the supreme leader, to teach the troups how to dogfight using really, old F-14’s against 12th gen flying saucers, manned by invading martians. You know it is the pilot that makes a difference, so the world has one hope. They reach the retired captain playing bridge at the Coral Gables retirement home. After agreeing to help and hanging up the phone, Tom Cruise is seen running down the halls and out the door at full stride.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

This is the best review of the movie I’ve read so far. Just left the theater and this is a perfect summation.

#41 1 year ago
    Cruise (resized).jpegCruise (resized).jpeg
    #42 1 year ago

Great movie! Best anyone has made in years!

#43 1 year ago

Definitely one of the stupidest movies I've seen in years, but great action direction and nostalgia.

Almost nothing makes sense, there's only one scene with any kind of emotional center, and the characters are whatever dimension less than "one" is. but I can't imagine anybody who goes to see this is going to be disappointed - it's not like you are expecting Ghandi.

#44 1 year ago

I liked the movie a lot, but I laughed out loud when they got to the mission briefing and he basically said "The approach will not be easy. You will be required to maneuver down this stretch and skim the surface to this point. The target area is only three meters wide."

I said to my wife at that point, "I used to bulls-eye Wamprats in my T16 back home. They're not much bigger than two meters."

The whole ending seemed to be copied directly from Star Wars.

And yes, the whole thing made very little sense, but was still a good ride. If you liked the original Top Gun, you'll like this too. If you thought the original was stupid, you won't find this one to be any smarter.

#45 1 year ago

I love how Meg Ryan and Kelly McGillis are both too old and/or fat to get the call for a 60 second cameo in this movie, but Val Kilmer has a fucking hole in his neck, looks like a mannequin and can't talk and he still gets a big central scene.

I know woke won't go over too well with a crowd who thinks Top Gun 2 is the pinnacle of filmmaking, but it does come off as a little sexist!

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I love how Meg Ryan and Kelly McGillis are both too old and/or fat to get the call for a 60 second cameo in this movie, but Val Kilmer has a fucking hole in his neck and can't talk and he still gets a big scene.

Given the demographics, seeing either of those grandmas would upset the man babies in the audience.

That said, holy shit is Jennifer Connolly beautiful! If anything she gets better with age. And she has great taste in cars.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Given the demographics, seeing either of those grandmas would upset the man babies in the audience.
    That said, holy shit is Jennifer Connolly beautiful! If anything she gets better with age. And she has great taste in cars.

Yeah she was cast well and does a good job with a pretty pathetic part. It was nice that they resisted the urge to cast a 25-year old to be the perfunctory love interest.

Cruise has like zero chemistry with her, but I thought he had some with her daughter. Too bad they didn't spend a few minutes flushing out that (or in fact any) relationship a little.

As an aside I read somewhere that "Penny" is briefly mentioned in the original movie, so she's kind of a deep cut call back?

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah she was cast well and does a good job with a pretty pathetic part. It was nice that they resisted the urge to cast a 25-year old to be the perfunctory love interest.
    Cruise has like zero chemistry with her, but I thought he had some with her daughter. Too bad they didn't spend a few minutes flushing out that (or in fact any) relationship a little.
    As an aside I read somewhere that "Penny" is briefly mentioned in the original movie, so she's kind of a deep cut call back?

Cruise and McGillis had more chemistry in the original movie. I think Jennifer Connelly did a good enough job with the role though.

#49 1 year ago

Was crying like a baby through the whole thing…overwhelming nostalgia

And Val was near death when this was filmed from something beyond his control

Kelly let herself go with food and Meg went down the plastic rabbit hole…their choices, glad they weren’t in the film

Regardless of whether or not you’re a robot…Thank you Tom Cruise for bringing my life full circle!

#50 1 year ago

This is on Wikipedia about Val Kilmer.
    In 2021, after complex work, Kilmer's voice was able to be re-created through AI technology using archival audio of his voice.[80] This technology was used to produce his voice in Top Gun: Maverick.[81

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-gun-maverick-summer-2020 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.