Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PW79
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

So I've recently tossed my Williams/Bally snobbery aside and have been really enjoying DE pins. I've picked up a GNR, TFTC recently and just love both. I am looking for a Time Machine, Tommy and Laser War too.

I cannot understand the DE hate. Some of these pins are just simply fun to play and great to look at.

Post your top five pins you believe are DE's best.

Mine

1. GNR (simply awesome)
2. TFTC (love the modes and c keeper)
3. Time Machine. Love this pin and the 50s chimes
4. Tommy
5. JP perhaps

#2 6 years ago

I've had a lot of DE pins and these are my favorites:

Tommy, DE Star Wars, Jurassic Park, TFTC and GNR. If I could only have one it would be Tommy.

#3 6 years ago

Usually goes
GNR
Tommy

and then everyone starts to disagree. Have not played Star Wars since the code update so cannot comment, but in its production form the scoring was broken and the it sold on theme. Tommy is a great game albeit with a few flaws. It is too hard for novice players, the video mode sucks, and there are a few scoring quirks.

#4 6 years ago

GNR
JP
....big step down
TFTC
Laser War

Can't make it to 5. I dislike Tommy the most actually....blinds are awesome but the music is horrendus...actually the stage theme is lame to me.

#5 6 years ago

Tommy's my fav. My last DE to go.

#6 6 years ago

Last Action Hero is near the top for DE, especially when you consider price of entry....

Later,
EV

#7 6 years ago

They all seem so similar to me....

#8 6 years ago

They are pretty similar, at least the modes bearing ones, like gnr, tftc, tommy.

What about Time Machine? I have a blast playing this simple pin. EM chimes come on at one point in the game. Actually has a set of chimes in the cab! How COOL is that? Definitely want.

#9 6 years ago

R&B

#10 6 years ago

Not sure if I can accept a thumbs-up from "TheLaw," given your location. Now if you were in East Lansing...

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Carl_694:

Not sure if I can accept a thumbs-up from "TheLaw," given your location. Now if you were in East Lansing...

Ha don't worry, I'm the most famous UofM hater in this town. Edit: And I went to State...well for a year anyway

#12 6 years ago

I think that WWF has a lot to offer in play. Also a widebody

#13 6 years ago

Robocop is really a ton of fun, nice shots, looks great, great music, fast paced and very hard. It's not super deep, but I don't feel like every pin has to have a boss mode or let you travel the country. Fun is fun.

#14 6 years ago

GnR is a great game. I haven't played the other DE games enough to form an opinion.

#15 6 years ago

IMO If Star Wars had been orig released the way ChadH re-released it a while back, it would have consistently been on everybody's top must-own lists. It's a pin that got dogged for 20 years because the ramp shot was unbalanced, but his scoring tweaks made it into a whole new pin and very awesome. It's so well balanced now I never know what my strategy will be from game to game. I usually pick midway through the first ball.

#16 6 years ago

Star Wars has a great layout compared to a lot of other DE tables.

Time Machine also and it has a decent ruleset as far as I know.

Something Tommy just bothers me. Unfortunetly. TFTC and GnR too.

#17 6 years ago

DE Star Wars. Only because it's the only DE pin I've ever owned... Plus the gameplay with new code is awesome!

#18 6 years ago

I enjoy all the manufactures, DE games are great and I like most of the Sega's. I've never looked at pinball in terms of this is a keeper and it serves this hobby well as you never feel locked due to must have machines. DE StarWars was here as long as MM, Last Action hero as long as Monster bash, all great and stayed for the time necessary to fulfill their objective, having fun.

#19 6 years ago

It's hard to order these exactly, but something like this (for me at least):

Tommy
SST
SW
GNR
Maverick(some are DE/some Sega)
Time Machine
JP
TFTC

#20 6 years ago

I'll second Robocop being a fun game, albeit very straightforward rules-wise. That does not make it any less enjoyable "The wrecking crew is here! The wrecking crew is here!"

WWF is also a very fun game that I am surprised doesn't get the same amount of love some of the other titles of the era.

GnR is stacked to the gills with features, but why would you go for anything but the very achievable band multiball over and over again?

JP is also a really fun game with cool shots.

Favorite DE: TFTC
Least Favorite DE: Playboy 35

#21 6 years ago

Don't forget Phantom of the Opera, not for the game play as such but it has some of the best artwork of any DE game.
Another big plus one for Time Machine, awesome game.
Try turning to the Dark Side and giving some of the DE games a chance, there are some hidden gems in there.

#22 6 years ago

Back to the Future is a great Data East game. I think G&N is HIGHLY over rated but it appears I'm almost alone on that one.

#23 6 years ago

Last Action Hero is seriously underrated IMHO, and now that there's new code for it it's even better. Drop targets with a target behind them, spinner, 3 scoops, magnets, moving crane, 2 captive balls, interactive topper, it just has a lot of shit going on.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Drop targets with a target behind them, spinner, 3 scoops, magnets, moving crane, 2 captive balls, interactive topper, it just has a lot of shit going on.

That doesn't always produce good results to be honest, and that's always been MY issue DE games. Sometimes a refined game just plays better. WWF is a perfect example of just throwing a ton of stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks. My opinion anyway.

#25 6 years ago

Phantom of the Opera and Batman are basically the same game. Lots of non-pinball folks liked the ones I had. Star Trek is fun but eventually gets a bit old. Pretty damn nice looking game though.

#26 6 years ago

GNR
TFTC
LAH

Tommy would be cool if it was based on the band The Who rather than the musical. YMMV.

#27 6 years ago

Gnr and wwfrr are great games. Tftc also

#28 6 years ago

These are my favorite DE's

Torpedo Alley
Time Machine
Simpsons
TFTC

However the best two are probably Tommy and GnR

#29 6 years ago

I have not played all of them, but based on very rigorous study of rules, layouts and lots of videos, articles and reviews, my list with explanations, would be

1. Tommy - lyman code, most convoluted modes of all DE games, excellent and hard multiball, blinders, difficult gameplay

these two I cannot set in proper order, sometimes one seems better than the other one
2. Tales From The Cryp - advantages over LAH: layout (2 ramps (one with a flip), 2 orbits, third flipper, flowy, more paths for the ball to go (LAH right side seems a little cluttered pathwise)), slightly better wizard mode, right ramp frenzy modes

2. Last Actio Hero - advantages over TFTC: I love the theme - one of the best Arnie movies, I think people don't get it's supposed to sattire action flick and this one has it all, I find TFTC artwork a bit repulsive aesthetically, magnet multiball, crane toy that affects starting jackpot levels, music, a bit of strategy in 2x scoring scoop, drop targets with a danger bar behind

4. Guns N Roses - I love the band, but someone should fix the unbalance that 2M pops bring in late game, underutilized third flipper other than making 2x scoring multiplier, shooting strategy favors member scoop shooting. and the price is getting ridiculous - that's why all of it combined make it just number 4 for me instead of number 1 or 2, the layout could definitely bring it there.

5. JP - great game but whirlwind rehashed with only one ramp and the fact that new code is not released, so shooting all those dinosaur targets is for nothing makes it a list trailer here.

#30 6 years ago

GnR (By far the best)
Tommy
Star Wars

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Top-Notch Target Shields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside