29%

(38 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN3427.JPG
I-can-fix-it.jpeg
image-961.jpg
th-912.jpeg
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Both in great condition Sky jump a bit better condition but also more money..

#2 9 years ago

Both great games, but Sky Jump wins by a nose because of Drop Targets.

I have a small collection and only room for such and already own an Atlantis which is somewhat similar to Sky Jump so I would personally pass on it and buy the Top Card as it is different from anything I currently have and on my Wishlist.

P.S. I do like the art, colors, and theme better on Top Card than Sky Jump.

Ken

#3 9 years ago

Depends what you want. I bought a Top Card (which is still waiting in my repair queue) because of the three independently firing bumpers (unusual for a Gottlieb) and FOUR slingshots. I have a thing for random and fast games and, with no drop targets, there's almost no slowdown on TC.

Sky Jump's going to be a slower game where you'll be picking off the drops. Up and back, up and back. Still a really fun game and will sell for more because of drops. I'd say it's a bit "easier" than TC because some of TC's stand ups don't really have a line of sight from the flippers.

Both have great art for their themes.

You can't lose with either one.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Both great games, but Sky Jump wins by a nose because of Drop Targets.

yes, on the drop targets... even though i generally prefer stand-ups, i like the drop target arrangement on sky jump, and i also like the whole pf layout better than on top card...

but i wouldn't say "no" to either one of them...

#5 9 years ago

I remember playing Top Card back in the day and recall being able to spank it pretty regularly. I haven't been able to experience one since so can't confirm that recollection.

Sky Jump has enough going on with the variability of which drop target has the pink dot lit to have more staying power. If it gets too easy adjust a few of the post set ups and make it more difficult.

#6 9 years ago

My vote is for Sky Jump. I hate the bottom feed lanes of games like Top Card. However, I do love the Backglass Artwork of it!

I think Sky Jump has a bit more going for it as to some variety of things to shoot at/for. Top Card, other than trying to maximize your score as to the value of the next card (which normally works off the position of the score motor), is simply a Shoot the Special type game rules. With Sky Jump, you start out by having to learn a few of the ball shooter shots to get the 4 top numbers. If your game is strong, the Pops can award those too. As can a left flipper shot up through the #6 Roll Over. 1, 2, and 3 kind of suck since its usually pure luck or you have to loose a ball to get 1 or 3 but its still fairly balanced with #2 on both flipper feed lanes. #1 is pretty easy since it tends to be the default for balls going below the left Pop Bumper. So, that makes #3 the tough one (so make sure your game is perfectly level and not leaning to the left!!!).

If the number aren't going your way, you have the Drops staring you in the face to line up the 50 / 500 / 10X for 5000. Or, complete the whole bank and start over.

#7 9 years ago

I have played both games in the past two weeks. Top Card is average for me. If I was going for the arched stationary target nudging game then I would pick up a 1969 Gottlieb Target Pool or just play my 1966 Central Park.

As for Sky Jump.....GET IT! It is a fabulous game that goes under the radar. Get it especially if it is in nice condition. This game is hard to find without a planked out playfield. Some people get annoyed with the drop targets being so close to the flippers. To me this is the beauty of the game. It creates that much more of a challenge of not losing your ball. The best Sky Jump I played was at Texas Pinball Festival in 2011. Everything on the machine was NOS. Brand new playfield, drop targets, backglass and even an original unmolested cabinet. The game played like a dream. It was the EM I played the most that weekend.

#8 9 years ago

You're welcome to come out to Torrance to give my Sky Jump a try first if you want to see if you like it.

Personally I'm a fan, it's a great game. My playfield has some mild planking, but overall my game is in pretty decent shape.

#9 9 years ago

Not even close... Sky Jump without question.

Top Card is a great game too but if it has a fatal flaw... it would be that it is too easy.

Top Card is better suited for a route game and even there, can become boring... so imagine owning the game. I do but it's all sentimental value and would be the first to go if I had to pick one to sell.

Sky Jump is always going to offer you more of a challenge and this is something that is important in a home environment. Not sure what your skill level is... but would 'still' recommend Sky Jump.

#10 9 years ago

I'd rather have Sky Jump also. The playfield is much like the multi-player, "Royal Flush," which gets a lot of love around here.

the middle of the playfield on "Top Card" just feels a little too open for me without having some rebounding rubber incorporated for some entertaining pop bumper action. I know there's a pair of upper kickers but their use is limited with that lower pop in the way.

I also can't stand the inlanes on this one. With a little practice, you can actually learn to goose a special inlane with a direct shot from the opposite side flipper. Without the standard 2-part wireform return lane that Gottlieb used on most, (along with the harsh angle the ball turned to head towards the flipper), this inlane rollover is reachable since the angle the ball needs to turn is compromised. It also uses a plastic as a lane guide, buffering any shot imperfection without losing momentum to roll up and make contact with the rollover. You may lose the ball down the side this way on occasion but that price for another replay obviously is worth it. Needless to say, the game didn't last long in our location, (LOL).

#11 9 years ago

Is the Top Card the one that was for sale in Orange County?

#12 9 years ago

They are both great. Top Card for a fast moving game. Sky Jump for more skillful and strategic play.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

The best Sky Jump I played was at Texas Pinball Festival in 2011. Everything on the machine was NOS. Brand new playfield, drop targets, backglass and even an original unmolested cabinet. The game played like a dream.

I believe that was my game, Dan. If so, other than the backglass and flipper and pop bumper rebuild parts, that game is an all original well cared for lower play route game. It had to have lived an easier life. Even opening it up it looks and smells new. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Of all the games in my collection Sky Jump has been with me the longest. That is only because I found it first and it was one of the nicest original condition games I have found. There are no plans to part with it any time soon.

#14 9 years ago

I own twenty wedge heads and Sky Jump is right up there with ElDorado, Jack's Open, Atlantis, and Strange World. It is completely under rated.

I have a Top Card as well and it's a great game, just lacks the strategy of Sky Jump.

#15 9 years ago

Yes Mike it was your game. It was very exciting to play. Hopefully it makes another appearance at TPF in the future.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Topcard:

I own twenty wedge heads and Sky Jump is right up there with ElDorado, Jack's Open, Atlantis, and Strange World. It is completely under rated.
I have a Top Card as well and it's a great game, just lacks the strategy of Sky Jump.

Heh, those are a partial short list of the games I'd give up my Sky Jump for, otherwise I'm keeping it, because it's fun.

#17 9 years ago

I own both and prefer Sky Jump.

They are both great though. You have good taste.

#18 9 years ago

I also prefer Sky Jump because of the drop targets.

#19 9 years ago

Sky Jump for the win deposit already put down on it

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

Has Rob PM'd you yet to get dibs when you sell it in a month?

Congrats, it's a fun game, hope you enjoy!

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Dibs!

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Remember I am not a member yet

#24 9 years ago

Okay I call dibs on slick chick then.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

You will love it.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

Deal! (But Odin still gets first shot of getting it back)

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Deal! (But Odin still gets first shot of getting it back)

You guys are too hard on my machines.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

don't tell me they actually..... nudge them?????????

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

don't tell me they actually..... nudge them?????????

No.....they actually break them.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No.....they actually break them.

dang... that's impressive... memo to self: be careful around rob and bb...

my bestie has some serious guns and he exercises them hard while playing (hence the VERY loose tilts on my machines), but even he hasn't managed the break one yet...

#31 9 years ago

He didn't break it until he got it home. But for one glorious evening it was poetry in motion.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

Remember I am not a member yet

soon... sounds like you are about to be blooded... when does it show up?

Quoted from bellbrand:

wise choice...

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

He didn't break it until he got it home. But for one glorious evening it was poetry in motion.

well, at least he got it home first, that way he hadda fix it...

#34 9 years ago

th-912.jpegth-912.jpeg

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I wouldn't have broken it ... just saying!!!!

#36 9 years ago

As soon as my daughters softball schedule Melos out a bit I am going to go pick it up.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Who is you guys!!!! I haven't had the pleasure yet...

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

As soon as my daughters softball schedule Melos out a bit I am going to go pick it up.

i see what you did there...

image-961.jpgimage-961.jpg

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

i'll gather by the no comment that some assistance from the previous owner was required...

Quoted from bellbrand:

Who is you guys!!!! I haven't had the pleasure yet...

guilt by association...

#40 9 years ago

I have bought 3. I have a parts machine at home, so PM me if you need something odd.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

I haven't had the pleasure yet...

Welcome to o-din's house of pleasure then.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

i see what you did there...

image-961.jpg 139 KB

Oh god I read too much basketball sh##t
Freudian slip...

#43 9 years ago

it's good to have another basketball nut around here...

kobe and melo... wonder if kobe is challenging him to see who can get 35 shots in the game?

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

it's good to have another basketball nut around here...
kobe and melo... wonder if kobe is challenging him to see who can get 35 shots in the game?

I don't know but whatever Kobe is saying isn't making Melo too happy lol

#45 9 years ago

Problem I've always had with Top Card is it seemed too easy, went to look at one to buy once and was able to get all the cards in my first game, so I walked away.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

I don't know but whatever Kobe is saying isn't making Melo too happy lol

"at least i got to play for part of my career for an owner who isn't a complete whack job"...

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Quoted from ccotenj:

Quoted from ccotenj:

i'll gather by the no comment that some assistance from the previous owner was required...

I fixed it myself, bitches!

#48 9 years ago

I recently passed on a Sky Jump that was offered to me at $400 because I need another project like a hole in the head right now.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I fixed it myself, bitches!

Woo hoo! I knew you could do it! You are now an officially licensed EM tech!

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Woo hoo! I knew you could do it! You are now an oficialy licened EM tech!

Heh, I don't know about that. I never did fix that issue on Grand Prix.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
1,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-card-or-sky-jump and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.