• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-537.jpg
image-352.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Got a top card I am trying to bring to life. Got schematic too. Problem is bill return coil is staying energized. I have checked return switch, O relay, motor switches. What else is there. Also the target switches are not scoring or chiming but the relay bank switches drop like they are suppose to. Cant find on schematic which contact conteols the target scoring. All scoring relays work fine. Any help would be great. Thanks

#2 9 years ago

I don't have a Top Card schematic to look at right now but as I recall, the target scoring is done via a relay called something to that effect (Target Value Relay?). There are usually two ways Gott. did scoring on multiple targets like that. There is usually a "Series" relay. A relay coil that is common to all the other trip bank relays. In some games, the trip bank coil will energize with each hit (along with the series scoring relay). In other games, there is a make break switch that first, allows power to the trip bank coil, and then, once tripped, routes power to the score relay. If it is a series relay, it is a special winding/value since it is in-line with the power going to each trip relay. It is always possible that someone replaced the coil with the wrong value and now, it is not sensitive enough to trip.

Also, as I recall, target scoring is a score motor function even though it is scoring a single value like 10, 100 or 1000. So, a hit to a target, should energize the target score relay which in turn, starts the score motor which does the actual scoring.

As to a stuck outhole kicker, that is a strange one since there are normally a number of switches that would need to be "made" in order for it to turn on (as you already listed). If the score motor switch were stuck, it would only energize when the outhole relay is pulled in. If the Outhole relay switch were stuck on, it would only energize with a turn of the score motor. So, you may be looking for something like a nut or washer lodged under a Jones plug connector. Or a solder splash on the side of a switch stack. Or a relay lug being bent over to touch another lug.

Is the outhole coil energized the minute you turn power on to the game? or only after you hit the start button?

#3 9 years ago

I should have clarified its the ball return coil. Seems fo stay energized. I tested switch an it works fine game goes to game over on last ball. Checked motor switches all looked good. There is a 5A switch I am guessing is on the A relay. They also look fine. Stumped

#4 9 years ago

I'm out of town until Sunday. I'll look at my schematic when I get home

#5 9 years ago

Which section do you need to see on schematic. I can post part of it or PM. I have traced everything to the ball return. Somehow its getting constant power and O relay isnt energized.

#6 9 years ago

Well went over the schematics again checked everything associated with ball return coil. Still stays energized. Also target switches are not scoring or chiming still. I did notice that rollovers score but are scoring wrongfor 5 balls rollovers should score 1000 for 3 ball play and 500 for five ball play. Instead they are scoring 10 points for 5 ball play and 100 for 3 ball play.

Tested ball return coil came out with 3.3 ohms. Suppose to be 2.5 is that ok ?
Do you think on the ball return coil it could be shorted. It is not burnt and it being shorted would it stay energized. Thanks

image-352.jpgimage-352.jpg image-537.jpgimage-537.jpg
#7 9 years ago

Still no luck. Gonna swap coils.

#8 9 years ago

Nope not the coil. All switches look fine. Disconnected motor and relay switches one at a time then put them back. No change. Ball return stays energized and and targets dont score. Grrr

#9 9 years ago

Turned out to be a jones plug on motor board misaligned. Jim on RGP pointed me in the right direction. Now I have to figure out why targets arent scoring.

#10 9 years ago

Targets or rollovers? You've said both

#11 9 years ago

All targets and 2 rollovers. Turned out to be contact 1a misadjusted.

#12 9 years ago

Rollover scoring on the game is a function of score motor position. It changes every cycle of the motor. Gottlieb motors turn 120 degrees per cycle so you can have three different scores which the rollovers have

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-card-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.