Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Match predictor (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
Gottlieb_schem (resized).jpg
TC I relay (resized).JPG
TC F relay (resized).JPG
#1 1 year ago

I was looking at a schematic today for a Top Card, trying to understand how the pop bumpers light up for 1000 pts - when they do and when they don't. It seems to depend on the I relay, whose state depends solely on the F relay:

TC I relay (resized).JPGTC I relay (resized).JPG

The F relay is a mini-stepper (00-90 relay). I can't understand from the schematic how it is supposed to fire. If the switches are as shown on the schematic when the game starts, then I can't see how the F relay is connected to anything. The relay chart lists the A relay as having 5A and 1B switches, which are all highlighted below. The A relay is an interlock relay, so should stay in one position once the game starts.

Does it make a connection through the L switch and the Thousands Unit Runout switch? Then it wouldn't make a connection if the 1000 score reel is at zero...that's kind of random. Were they going for some unpredictability? Am I just missing something obvious?

Thanks

TC F relay (resized).JPGTC F relay (resized).JPG

#2 1 year ago

Looks like it is connected through motor switch 1 A, which would make it fire each time the motor turns:
Gottlieb_schem (resized).jpgGottlieb_schem (resized).jpg

#3 1 year ago

Thanks @sizteves: Except that that A switch is open during a game. It opens once the game reset is completed.

I guess I'm answering my own question here, but since the A switch never closes, the only option is that it's got to be getting a pulse to fire each time the L relay fires AND the 1000's unit runout switch is closed (so when the 1000 score reel is at any number other than zero). When the 1000 score reel is at zero, F doesn't fire.

Does that sound right to you smarter-than-me folks out there?

#4 1 year ago

Looks like it fires with the thousands unit runout?

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#5 1 year ago

It looks like that's the only path, so that must be what's happening. Wonder why they wanted it not to fire when the 1000's reel was at zero....unpredictability?

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from paulace:

Does it make a connection through the L switch and the Thousands Unit Runout switch? Then it wouldn't make a connection if the 1000 score reel is at zero...that's kind of random. Were they going for some unpredictability?

That's what it looks like. During reset (A switch closed) it would get some random number of pulses from the Motor 1A switch until all of the score reels reach zero. During the game (A switch open) it gets a pulse when the L/1000 point relay fires, except when it's showing zero.

The F/00-90 relay is used mostly by the match circuit so they made it hard to predict where it is. Clever players at the time had reverse engineered some of the match unit functions and could predict what the next match would be:
Match predictor (resized).jpgMatch predictor (resized).jpg

#7 1 year ago

The A is pulsed on at off with 2 turns of F thru a switch and cam on the F relay

#8 1 year ago

Thanks Mark - I had forgotten that the F relay was used for the match function - so unpredictability was important. The whole reason I was wondering about it was that I was playing with the game with the glass off, using my finger to close switches and figure out the game rules - wanted to see if I could figure out what made the pop bumpers light or not...and it seemed to be somewhat unpredictable. I didn't know if it was a malfunction or not - but it looks like it's part of the intended design.

Good to know - thank you!!

Love Dangerous Dann's predictor too - hadn't seen that before.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-card-f-relay-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.