Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Sonic
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2012-08-28_20-40-39_469 (resized).jpg
    2012-08-28_20-42-51_800 (resized).jpg
    DSCN4057 (resized).JPG
    2012-08-28_20-45-38_960 (resized).jpg
    20151118_213808 (resized).jpg
    2012-08-28_20-26-43_722 copy (resized).jpg
    2012-08-28_20-25-43_841 copy (resized).jpg

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago

seawitch
    radical
    rollergames
    monopoly
    devils dare

#52 6 years ago

Wow, I'm seeing a lot of pins in the top 100 listed as underrated. Seems like if you are in that space, you are rated pretty high.

#53 6 years ago

Going backwards from the end of Pinside's Top 100 (351), here are my picks:

Cybernaut (338) A rare game with a unique and challenging layout. The outlanes can be brutal. Great 1980s futuristic theme.

Black Pyramid (327) Inline drops with backhand from right.

Gold Wings (323) Another unique layout. Cheesy theme and translite (Top Gun knockoff). Bottom arch design creates potential for intentional Lazarus saves. Multiple horseshoe shots feel good and design lends itself to several intentional careen (bank) shots.

Dolly Parton (311) Played a beautiful and brutal example at TPF with dangerous outlanes. Inline drops light spinner and advance bonus multiplier. Another theme that turns people off, but the gameplay is there.

Time Fantasy (241) - Another rare game, but this one has a Psychadelic theme. Build up "snail time" with the lit inlane rollover (yes, you can Shatz it). Spell TIME to start snail time and you have unlimited ball saves for up to 95 seconds. Ball 3 and you haven't spelled TIME? That's pressure.

#54 6 years ago

My vote goes to Rocky and Bullwinkle, as it rarely even gets mentioned!

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from cynric:

Hollywood Heat
    Johnny Mnemonic
    Genesis
    Rollergames
    Arena

Glad to see someone else Thinks Hollywood Heat and Genesis are under rated.
    That said:
    Genesis
    Hollywood Heat
    Laser Cue
    Solar Fire
    Medusa

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Pins That Play Well But Have An Embarrassing Theme / Terrible Art / Ridiculous Backglass:

I think you forgot about Barbwire, embarrassing theme, terrible art, ridiculous backglass-but fun as hell!

I also really like my 24, it has a simple layout with great shots. Sometimes less is more.

#57 6 years ago

Please give reasons for your picks to educate the rest of why the games deserve more love.

#58 6 years ago

Another vote for Rollergames here. I actually like the theme (it's either fun and cheesy and/or nostalgic depending on your age), and it's fun to play and the callouts, music/sounds, and theme integration are awesome (what a great idea to have the locked balls spin around like rollerskaters). If I compare the price I paid with the fun factor/overall enjoyment of my pins, Rollergames is highly underrated, in my opinion.

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

Please give reasons for your picks to educate the rest of why the games deserve more love.

Bad Cats- People say the only thing to do is hit the left ramp and while that ramp is loaded with points, their are some other really neat shots and features. Music is EXCELLENT too.

#60 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

There seems to be four distinct categories of "underrated" going on here:
    Pins That Play Well But Have An Embarrassing Theme / Terrible Art / Ridiculous Backglass:
    - Hollywood Heat
    - Genesis
    - Rollergames
    - Arena
    - Raven
    - Baywatch
    - Heavy Metal Meltdown
    - Future Spa
    - Hardbody
    Pins That Play Well But Are Themed After a Property Nobody Cares About:
    - Johnny Mnemonic
    - The Shadow (can this really still be considered underrated? c'mon)
    - Congo
    - Last Action Hero
    - Lethal Weapon 3
    - Maverick
    - Big Hurt
    - Demolition Man
    Pins That Have Been Heavily Criticized On Pinside For Years, Perhaps Unfairly:
    - Rolling Stones
    - Avengers
    - Tranformers
    - Popeye
    Good Pins That People Just Kinda Forget About:
    - Mustang
    - Roadshow
    - NBA Fastbreak
    - Black Hole
    - WPT
    - Sopranos

Nice analysis and categorizing

#61 6 years ago

I think Johnny Mnemonic is the most overrated underrated game. If that makes any sense.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from Elicash:

I think Johnny Mnemonic is the most overrated underrated game. If that makes any sense.

#63 6 years ago

Maverick
    Nascar
    Popeye
    Sega Harley Davidson
    To me all of these games are way more fun than their current “ranking”

#64 6 years ago

NBA Fastbreak
    Who Dunnit
    Maverick
    Monopoly

#65 6 years ago

Gottlieb Circus. Well rendered theme. People diss the gameplay and admittedly it does play slow, like an EM, but it rewards good shotmaking. A good flow game.

The sounds could be better, but it does have a cool attract mode that calls out periodically...not many titles from that era had that.

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

There seems to be four distinct categories of "underrated" going on here:
    - Hollywood Heat
    - Genesis
    - Rollergames
    - Arena
    - Raven
    - Baywatch
    - Heavy Metal Meltdown
    - Future Spa
    - Hardbody
    Pins That Play Well But Are Themed After a Property Nobody Cares About:
    - Johnny Mnemonic
    - The Shadow (can this really still be considered underrated? c'mon)
    - Congo
    - Last Action Hero
    - Lethal Weapon 3
    - Maverick
    - Big Hurt
    - Demolition Man
    Pins That Have Been Heavily Criticized On Pinside For Years, Perhaps Unfairly:
    - Rolling Stones
    - Avengers
    - Tranformers
    - Popeye
    Good Pins That People Just Kinda Forget About:
    - Mustang
    - Roadshow
    - NBA Fastbreak
    - Black Hole
    - WPT
    - Sopranos

I agree 99% with this, except NBA Fastbreak. I've played it over 30 times and still don't get it.

My vote is for RCT. Call me a douche if you want, but I really like this game.

#67 6 years ago

1978 Gottlieb Blue Note (and add-a-ball counterpart, Rock Star) are among the best playing wedgeheads. Yet, neither game appears on Pinsiders top 100 EM list.

These low production games are less well known and tend, for that reason, to garner little attention and appreciation. Perhaps they fall into the "unrated" as opposed to "underrated" category.

#68 6 years ago

Baywatch is underrated. It's just a lot of fun to play.
    The oversize ColorDMD LED coming soon for it may make it more appealing to own.

Barb Wire should be collectible. The last Gottleib and was made in low numbers.

X-files can be brutal due to the narrow ramps, but should appeal to fans of the show.

I own all three of these games and they are better than a lot of other games out there.

1 year later
    #69 4 years ago

I got some time on Oktoberfest. I want to add it to my list of under-appreciated games.

#70 4 years ago

DE Jurassic Park: The Dinosaur eats the ball! Addams family rules with Whirlwind layout.
    Last Action Hero: List the pros and cons of this on paper next to the Addams family and tell me who's under-rated.
    Demolition Man: Packed game for little buck. Only game built for tall guys.
    Black Knight 2000: Constantly has a line at the local arcade.
    DE The Simpsons: Hard and fast playing game with a great theme.

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from cynric:

Hollywood Heat
    Johnny Mnemonic
    Genesis
    Rollergames
    Arena

Had Hollywood Heat and sold it.

Its a great period piece and does well in larger collection is the best I will state.

Lock ball one
    Lock ball two
    Start multiball, drain

Rinse and repeat.

Once was enough, no thanks. It has the honor of rotating out of my collection faster than any other game.

#72 4 years ago

LOL,

I think, I am starting to collect the under valued.

1990’s B/W’s dmd’s

I500. A speed pin, a lot timed activities, with a lot of shots, different modes (12 of them), bright colors, cool sound, ramps that are satisfying to make, cool toys (turbo, rotating I500 car), not too many of them around.

Dr Who. Great ramp shots. If not the first , one of the early games that allow you to select mode options ( the doctors), cool topper that integrates well with the game, sonic booms, a real cool play field toy that raises and lowers. Can be improved dramatically with pinsound, color DMD and alt translight.

2000’s Sterns

Avatar. another speed pin, lots of color( play field/cabinet), good code depth, stackable multi balls, beautiful 3D backglass , outstanding callouts from the movie, outstanding pin recorded callouts by one of the movie’s actors, great light show, good use of movie clips on the DMD. An immersive pin.

Avengers LE. A really beautiful pin ( yes must be dialed in by the home user), 4 really satisfying shots (B/W ramp, IM loop, Captain America loop, Hawkeye ramp), the Hulk toy/ Multiball is excellent ( Hulk hits the ball between his hands ), great Hulk callouts/ taunts, great use of the flashers/light show. Game weaknesses can be dramatically improved with mods ( clear inlane plastics, Tesseract cube replacement, pin callouts)

Mustang,( man I miss mine). Speed pin with lots of shots, risk reward decisions on multiballs, cool dots, great sound. Music can be inter changed.

Recent Pins

Hobbit. The most immersive pin I have played / own. Yes open play field, but over 30 shots that need to be made, 30 plus modes, 3 wizard modes. Best use of movie assets in pinball.

A new one, but , Munsters. Beautiful pin, smooth shots, 3 level game (topper, play field, mini play field). Excellent use of the mini play field, risk / reward decisions on super jack pots, nice light show, funny taunts/ Call outs, a points pin versus mode based pin ( stackable strategy that reminds me of BSD). Will get even better with a code update

2 years later
    #73 1 year ago

1. Safe Cracker
    2. Apollo 13
    3. Batman Forever
    4. Star Wars Trilogy
    5. Robocop

#74 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wiggles:

1. Safe Cracker
    2. Apollo 13
    3. Batman Forever
    4. Star Wars Trilogy
    5. Robocop

Apollo 13 is awful
    ITS NOT MY FAULT!

#75 1 year ago
    Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Apollo 13 is awful
    ITS NOT MY FAULT!

I think it's pretty fun, I'd place it in the top 5 Sega machines. Also has the coolest multiball mode in all of pinball.

#76 1 year ago

As the thread has already been resurrected, let's go with the flow...

I saw sopranos and monopoly being mentioned earlier here and I have to agree, both are fun to play and one rarely find them to play.

Monopoly is not super great, but I actually find it funnier to play than many other Stern pins from the same era. It's got a nice vibe/theme and it has stuff I've never seen before on any other pin like that rotating flipper bat and a super quick habitrail on the left side returning the ball directly in front (not behind as all other games aredoing it) of the slingshot! It also has a good bash toy with the bank door and some fitting DMD animations.

Sopranos is just fun, guess it's the theme that does it for me. The boat is a nice detail and the splitting safe is good too.

I also really like Junkyard, not sure if it can really be called underrated seeing it cost quite a lot to buy nowadays but I very seldom find one to play on location, hence the underrated feeling. I like that wrecking ball and the overall theme. It's a nice looking game and who doesn't like to sink a ball in the toilet. It doesn't have any pop bumpers which apparently turn some people off but I couldn't care less as the rest of he pin is fun. It is a bit open/less populated but on the other hand it makes the shots easier to shoot with less obstructing things in the way.

#77 1 year ago

I’m going to go outside of the box a bit and say Rob Zombie. They didn’t make many (300) so I’m guessing not a lot of people have played it. I will say if you don’t like Rob Zombie or that type of music, you probably won’t like it. With that being said, it’s a lot of fun and has such a great sense of humor. It probably has the best call outs in all of pinball. It’s tough but at the same time doable. I have a Stranger Things, that I really enjoy, and I enjoy Rob Zombie just as much. It’s just different in a good way. A lot of people crap on it, which I think isn’t justified. It’s not perfect but it is definitely underrated!

#78 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wiggles:

I think it's pretty fun, I'd place it in the top 5 Sega machines. Also has the coolest multiball mode in all of pinball.

If you are talking about the 13 ball drop that just overpowers the flippers, not.

#79 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wiggles:

The stupid 13 ball? Uff.

Like Orbiter 1, it's kinda fun the first time.

#80 1 year ago

Rob Zombie
    Surf n' Safari
    BDK
    Roller Coaster Tycoon
    Stern Indiana Jones

#81 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

The stupid 13 ball? Uff.
    Like Orbiter 1, it's kinda fun the first time.

tough crowd, tough crowd...

#82 1 year ago

Pretty much every game made prior to System 11 is underrated.

1) Hardbody
    2) BMX - Mostly on the list because I want to vote for Hardbody twice.
    3) Monopoly
    4) Wipe Out
    5) Title Fight

#83 1 year ago

Starship Troopers
    The Beatles
    X-Files
    Hot Wheels
    The Flintstones

#84 1 year ago

Wonka...

#85 1 year ago

X Files- extremely underrated. It's the flowy-est DE/Sega there is. Also the code is pretty deep with multiple multiballs, a tricky wizard mode, etc.
    Both Champion Pub/Who Dunnit - code is lacking but fun shooters. And the music is GREAT!
    Stern Stingray. More charm than Stars. Artwork is cheesy but fun, has drop targets and chimes, what's not to love?
    Speaking of early chimes games- Any early Bally SS with chimes is great. Eight Ball is great. Strikes and Spares is great. Simple rules, brutal as hell. Mata Hari also has a simplistic grace to it. Practice your tap pass on it, it's actually really fun.
    Gottlieb Bad Girls - it's just dumb fun with a great soundtrack.

#86 1 year ago

I oddly enjoyed playing 24. Hard to find, but fun and full-featured game.

It's currently #303 on the top 100.

#87 1 year ago

It changes for me as time goes on .... But lately...I find Freddy: A Nightmare On Elm Street and Airborne underrated....

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-5-underrated-games/page/2?hl=aflacjack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.