Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Kkuoppamaki
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

100_0112.JPG

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Must be fun quickly and enough deep ruleset to play again but not too much difficult to not escape
No buying price parameter please, just game, dotmatrix
Thanks

#2 4 years ago

I got Theatre of Magic so I had a fun machine that casuals would play. Worked pretty damn well.
Stern Star Trek is always played heavily at the local bar.
Medieval Madness: shoot the castle.

In short: bash toy = thumbs up.

#5 4 years ago

WCS94 would be my number one. Every casual player loves it. I think it holds up for casual and serious players. Great all around game.

Then:
Monster Bash
Star Trek
TOTAN
CV

#6 4 years ago

Medieval Madness
Monster Bash
Scared Stiff
SpiderMan
Terminator 2 or The Addams Family
... if you have some cash to spend

#7 4 years ago

I think Metallica and AFM are great, but most people like my AC/DC the best even though it is brutal.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from frg:

Medieval Madness
Monster Bash
Scared Stiff
SpiderMan
Terminator 2 or The Addams Family
... if you have some cash to spend

For sure!

Fish tales, Congo, no good gofers and totan really tempt me

#9 4 years ago

In addition to the games already mentioned, Monopoly is a huge hit with casual players.

#10 4 years ago

TAF - a lot if cool stuff going on
WCS - Goal!
ST stern - hit the lit shots and shoot the ship!
IM - they like getting their butt kicked
RCT - welcoming fun

#11 4 years ago

TAF seems like a big fav of the BW era. Easy to play and lots of fun things in the game. ST gets my vote for new pins. It gets a lot of love from others of all ages at my house. The lights, sound, and Vengeance put on a great show even if you have no idea how to play.

#12 4 years ago

Doctor Who. Exceedingly approachable and easy to understand.

#13 4 years ago

TOTAN is one I missed. Good suggestion

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Must be fun quickly and enough deep ruleset to play again but not too much difficult to not escape
No buying price parameter please, just game, dotmatrix
Thanks

You are very lucky you have some friends happy to play pinball with you. I was in your situation a year ago. I wanted to buy a few pins for all the casual players/ non-pinheads, then I found out most of the casual players I know they played extreme casually, which means after one or two games of pinball, they would rather watch CNN than play pinball so I won't waste any $ and space for them.

However this is my top three pin in my mini collection:

1. IM
2. DESW (new or old rom does not make any different, they won't notice it, all they care is the theme)
3. NGG (I treat my wife and my 5yrs old are casual players, so far they love it)

In my situation I can only fit 6 pins in my room and there is not many pins in New Zealand also, so my purchase rule is if my family enjoy it then I will buy it for them, because I really enjoy playing pinball with them.

#15 4 years ago

Anything involving golf and gophers (NGG and Tee'd Off).

#16 4 years ago

another vote for WCS94, everyone loves it.

#17 4 years ago

Game show was easy enough and cheesy enough to be a hit with guests....
Roadshow or funhouse
TAF
POTC
IJ

#19 4 years ago

WCS 94. I think it is easily one of the most approachable games ever made. Everyone who plays it instantly understands shooting the goals, and they will never care if it is lit or not. It also gives out extra balls fairly easily in the default settings, and people love that. It's also pretty easy to show them how to go for multiball, and bam, they have something to play for. Love that game.

#20 4 years ago

All new players love Theater of Magic. Also High Speed 2: the Getaway.

#23 4 years ago

My casual guests flock to WOZ, Road Show, Family Guy, and Jurassic Park. TOM and WCS94 are also good choices.

#24 4 years ago

Theater never disappoints my guests.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Sjsilver:

WCS 94. I think it is easily one of the most approachable games ever made. Everyone who plays it instantly understands shooting the goals, and they will never care if it is lit or not. It also gives out extra balls fairly easily in the default settings, and people love that. It's also pretty easy to show them how to go for multiball, and bam, they have something to play for. Love that game.

I agree - plus a great game for the money. Great value pin and looks great cleaned up with LEDs.

#27 4 years ago

Theatre of Magic has been a favorite of the casual player at my place.

And, I personally love the game.

Hurry Up!!! She's in Danger!!!

#28 4 years ago

WCS 94 for sure is #1 in this category.
Also I think Tron. Big inserts, easy to play, FUN, easy to understand rules, ect...
Stern ST is also very approachable for beginners/non-pin heads. They love shooting the vengeance and seeing it shake.

#29 4 years ago

Didn't see the stipulation of DMD only! Sorry!

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

Didn't see the stipulation of DMD only! Sorry!

If we are talking earlier games, interflip Dragon is fun for noobs as well as Grand Lizard

#31 4 years ago

For sure!
Fish Tales, Congo, No Good Gofers and totan really tempt me

I actually think Fish Tales, Congo, and No Good Gofers are the worst suggestions in this thread.

Fish Tales: Notoriously hard. Lightning flippers. People understand to shoot the boat, but that's about it. It punishes you when you miss a shot. Lock shot for multiballs is not that easy. A casual player will probably not be able to get a jackpot, even after multiple games. (Takes three hard shots to start, and then basically a two shot combo that almost requires cradling balls to achieve).

Congo: What would casual players like about this? Theme? The lower playfield gorilla? I have only played it a few times, but it's really not that clear what you're supposed to be doing, and there isn't really anything obvious and rewarding to shoot for.

No Good Gofers: Extremely complicated ruleset for the casual player. Odd playfield layout. Bad theme for a lot of people. The hole in one shot is awesome. Kids probably like the gofers.

Don't get me wrong, I really like all three games, but they're not good games for casual players. There are a lot of great suggestions in this thread, but these three are not.

#32 4 years ago

Sopranos

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinrookie:

You are very lucky you have some friends happy to play pinball with you. I was in your situation a year ago. I wanted to buy a few pins for all the casual players/ non-pinheads, then I found out most of the casual players I know they played extreme casually, which means after one or two games of pinball, they would rather watch CNN than play pinball so I won't waste any $ and space for them.
However this is my top three pin in my mini collection:
1. IM
2. DESW (new or old rom does not make any different, they won't notice it, all they care is the theme)
3. NGG (I treat my wife and my 5yrs old are casual players, so far they love it)
In my situation I can only fit 6 pins in my room and there is not many pins in New Zealand also, so my purchase rule is if my family enjoy it then I will buy it for them, because I really enjoy playing pinball with them.

Playin rugby or pinball, you must get a choise in NZ!

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

I actually think Fish Tales, Congo, and No Good Gofers are the worst suggestions in this thread.
Fish Tales: Notoriously hard. Lightning flippers. People understand to shoot the boat, but that's about it. It punishes you when you miss a shot. Lock shot for multiballs is not that easy. A casual player will probably not be able to get a jackpot, even after multiple games. (Takes three hard shots to start, and then basically a two shot combo that almost requires cradling balls to achieve).
Congo: What would casual players like about this? Theme? The lower playfield gorilla? I have only played it a few times, but it's really not that clear what you're supposed to be doing, and there isn't really anything obvious and rewarding to shoot for.
No Good Gofers: Extremely complicated ruleset for the casual player. Odd playfield layout. Bad theme for a lot of people. The hole in one shot is awesome. Kids probably like the gofers.
Don't get me wrong, I really like all three games, but they're not good games for casual players. There are a lot of great suggestions in this thread, but these three are not.

You can be a casual player but an average/good player.
Maybe i must redefine what a casual player is in my mind. This player has already played several times not only 2 or 3 times in his life. Even if you don't know ruleset of the pin you can manage to understand a few.
What is a casual player for u?

#35 4 years ago

What is a casual player for u?

For me, a casual player is someone who likes to flip around and have fun once in a while, but doesn't have advanced skills (live catch, drop catch, bounce pass, cradling balls during multiball, etc), and doesn't know or care about the nuances of rulesets. The kind of player who would just shoot the saucer all day on AFM.

#36 4 years ago

So I'm not a casual player and i wonder if all indicaded pinballs here for casual player match to this définition.
Those who think that Shooting the castle summarize a MM are wrong
If i take my exemple, i own 5 pins at home but i don't know if i play once in the week or 2 weeks or sometimes in a month.

#37 4 years ago

Congo is great and basically you collect diamonds to progress threw the game . Also has lower playfield and a great volcano shot and mb isnt to difficult to start. Then just hit the saucers to start some modes its a pretty simple game but deep enough to keep you coming back. If you find one for a decent price and good condition grab it as you really cant go wrong bc everyone seems to like and want it the past year

#38 4 years ago

Casual players need clear objectives. They also like to understand what to aim and how to reach multiball.

Monster Bash - despite the price - would fit that bill. It is not only satisfying for casual players but can be challenging for good players who will seek stacking, low risk shots, etc... (and do not tell me MB is too easy - open the outlanes and we will see. This game is often found during tourneys).

Sadly, most recent Sterns are too complex with all insert lit or blinking. Deep rules can make them long term keepers, but at the cost of simplicity. Some exceptions:

Casual players do not mind short ball times... on freeplay. Better have a 15 minute-long 4-players game than 1h+. This is why I would also suggest adding Iron Man despite being a brutal game. Great music, immersive, simpler (shallow is not always bad) with one rewarding easy bash toy.

Shrek appeals to many, including kids (provided they are tall enough to see the upper PF).

Other choices:
- Flintstones is cool too for children and casual players. Unbalanced scoring won't be an issue there.
- +1 to WCS94

Breaking your "DMD only" rule, try a EM from the 70's with drop targets, inlanes, bonus count and regular flippers. You might be surprised.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

No Good Gofers: Extremely complicated ruleset for the casual player. Odd playfield layout. Bad theme for a lot of people. The hole in one shot is awesome.

At my house, non-pinheads gravitate to NGG and Creature. Gofers tops Creature because of the bright colors and Budd/Buzz. No one I know is a (serious) golfer - and I don't like golf at all. Nobody goes "eww ... Golf. Not going to play".

STLE gets a lot of attention too, probably because of all the lights and bling.

I haven't had a lot of casual players play yet, because my game room isn't "open", but the workers that don't know or haven't played pinball in years almost always pick one of those three games when given a choice, with TAF an occasional pick because they recognize it and RFM because it looks different.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Casual players need clear objectives. They also like to understand what to aim and how to reach multiball.
Monster Bash - despite the price - would fit that bill. It is not only satisfying for casual players but can be challenging for good players who will seek stacking, low risk shots, etc... (and do not tell me MB is too easy - open the outlanes and we will see. This game is often found during tourneys).
Sadly, most recent Sterns are too complex with all insert lit or blinking. Deep rules can make them long term keepers, but at the cost of simplicity. Some exceptions:
Casual players do not mind short ball times... on freeplay. Better have a 15 minute-long 4-players game than 1h+. This is why I would also suggest adding Iron Man despite being a brutal game. Great music, immersive, simpler (shallow is not always bad) with one rewarding easy bash toy.
Shrek appeals to many, including kids (provided they are tall enough to see the upper PF).
Other choices:
- Flintstones is cool too for children and casual players. Unbalanced scoring won't be an issue there.
- +1 to WCS94
Breaking your "DMD only" rule, try a EM from the 70's with drop targets, inlanes, bonus count and regular flippers. You might be surprised.

Hi jean-louis,
I have played your WPT at Lavour. I do not understand a piece of the ruleset even after half an hour of play.
I have tried too em pins like top score and this kind of pin are not for me, too slow and not enough deep and entertaining for me.

#41 4 years ago

'then I found out most of the casual players I know they played extreme casually, which means after one or two games of pinball, they would rather watch CNN than play pinball so I won't waste any $ and space for them.'
you actually know people who watch CNN? wow.

seriously, fishtales and no good gofers are 2 in my collection that I think the casual player likes and the more serious player can enjoy as well. wcs94 might be good for the casual player too, but one I got bored with fairly quickly

#42 4 years ago

Getaway is great for casual players. Easy to explain, and a universal theme (running from the cops).

After that it seems to be hit or miss by theme. Some people just gravitate towards WOZ. Others play Demolition Man because of the handles. When LOTR was here it was also popular. But all of these just based on what theme the user knew. They didn't care about long term play, or reaching objectives. It was all about keeping the ball in play and fun sounds and sights.

And you should definitely keep it to DMD, because noobs seem to hate classics at my house. Short ball times, and nasty play just turns them off.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from zrbrt:

In short: bash toy = thumbs up.

Unless the game is TWD, which is one of the most brutal games I can think of for the casual player.

#44 4 years ago

Family Guy is another title the undiscerning flock to.

#45 4 years ago

TZ is the all around favorite. I ask everyone to rate my pins in order. These are the results:

1) TZ
2) POTC
3) IJ4
4) Xenon

#46 4 years ago

I think it is easy for a casual player to identify with a theme. IMO, any popular theme will attract a play or two from someone that is not a pinball enthusiast. Iron Man, Shrek, Family Guy, TWD, LOTR, and many others will be played by casuals because of theme alone and not because of the rule-set.

I would think that casual players should be playing my Getaway but yet they keep hitting the start button on my LOTR which has one of the deepest rule-sets of any machine every made.

#47 4 years ago

In my house, without exception, anyone over the age of 50 will play Whodunnit all night long. Under 50, Metallica LE is the superstar...

#48 4 years ago

- TAF
- AFM
- TOM
- MM
- MB

Great pins for any new player.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside