Napolean.jpg
Take me into town.gif
Feeding Tina.gif
1740B073-9AC3-4A12-ADCA-3905D117ED38 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20230102-071742 (resized).png
C7C5DC1E-F11D-4CF8-A1F9-3D89500B4600 (resized).jpeg
136BF5C8-2943-4DF7-9745-FBE9E3AE2A46 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2023-01-01 at 07-47-41 Mr. Right (2015) (resized).png
Moon, 2009, science fiction, Duncan Jones, helium-3, GERTY, Sam Rockwell, Kevin Spacey, Dominique McElligott, Kaya Scodelario, B
20221231_163115 (resized).jpg
Moon, 2009, science fiction, Duncan Jones, helium-3, GERTY, Sam Rockwell, Kevin Spacey, Dominique McElligott, Kaya Scodelario, B
Moon-Sam Rockwell (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 1 year ago

I can't do all films, it has to go into at least a few categories.

Comedy:

Blazing Saddles
Animal House
Caddyshack
Young Frankenstein
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Drama/Crime/Action:

Godfather
Jaws
Pulp Fiction
Dirty Harry
Taxi Driver

SciFi/Fantasy:

Star Wars Empire Strikes Back
Aliens
Terminator 2
Raiders of the Lost Ark

Romantic Comedy:

#112 1 year ago

It’s really tough to get a solid universal top 5. If anything this shows how many really great films have been made. But interestingly, there is basically nothing from the last ten years or even longer (I remember one mention of Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, which was definitely good although not sure about top 5 all time). Notice no one listed Infinity Wars any of the other junk that has been pumped out in recent years.

It’s been kind of sad for a long time, just continual lackluster output from Hollywood that doesn’t make a trip the to theater too desirable. Top Gun Maverick was cool but that’s basically a loud remake of what was done in the original, with a dash of Star Wars thrown in.

Just have a look at any list of upcoming 2023 movies. Just like what has been going on for years, the lack of originality is depressing. Just another long list of sequels, prequels, etc. The only one that looks remotely interesting is Barbie, but it is a complete unknown other than a cool looking trailer that reveals nothing. It might be total garbage, or maybe something good, but at least it’s something a bit different.

I will have to say, M3gan looks pretty good, I won’t go to the theater to see it but I’m in for scary doll movies.

14DBF087-3733-4DF0-B2F1-B5E8CFD68FD4 (resized).jpeg14DBF087-3733-4DF0-B2F1-B5E8CFD68FD4 (resized).jpeg

#151 1 year ago

I’ll take another shot with the rules. Gotta pick just 5. There are dozens if not a hundred or more that can be justified to be at the top. I thought about it in terms of the films that were game-changers, that had huge impacts and captured the zeitgeist of their era. And, are imminently quotable and also always entertaining. You can watch them over and over and never be bored and always be amazed at how great they are. Sure, Citizen Kane is a masterpiece, but how many times can you watch it? I watched it once, it was good. But I doubt I’ll watch it again. How many times have you seen the ones in this list??

Dirty Harry. Quotable? Well, do you feel lucky? It’s a great showpiece for Eastwood. But it also changed everything. Hard as it is to believe in the era of John Wick, but this movie was very much a controversial shocker as far as the violence and gunplay. It paved the way.

Jaws. It was the first massive hit. The first movie to create blocks-long lines. I have a personal connection to this one as I worked at a drive-in when it premiered, and saw it about 70 times. Guess what, it never got old! It is a masterpiece with the perfect cast.

Star Wars. Hardly needs an explanation. This movie changed everything and spawned a multibillion dollar empire. Empire, get it?

The Matrix. Another movie that spawned a new era. The effects were awesome and the story was mysterious and cool. You left the theater in awe of what you saw and were thirsty for more. Too bad the sequels didn’t live up to the original.

Pulp Fiction. What?? Say what again, I dare you.

#177 1 year ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

1) The Big Lebowski
2-4) Naked Gun, Naked Gun 2.5, Naked Gun 33.3
5) Jurassic Park
My voting is based on the amount of times I've seen them.

Nice. Over the course of all the movies I saw in the theater, only two times was I laughing so hard that I was literally crying and falling out of my seat to the floor. One was NG 33.3, the Sperm Bank scene.

The other was Meaning of Life, the Mr Creosote scene.

#192 1 year ago
Quoted from boscokid:

I am using this thread to find reoccurring nominations that I've never seen.
NYE watched 2001: A Space Odyssey based on its appearance on multiple lists here. WOWZA! about 2 hours in I'm thinking "its not bad for a sci-fi flick based on 1968 technology" then BAM the last 30 minutes its like being dropped down a roller coaster inside a kaleidoscope into a Philosophy discussion.

Its one of my all time favorites, but its sort of like the Citizen Kane of SciFi movies. Not everyone these days wants to slug through it and have the patience to go along with the great story. But it still holds up well today as far as the visual effects. The astronauts had iPads! That was all made by hand, no computer graphics anywhere. Kubrick was an absolute maniac.

3 weeks later
#298 1 year ago
Quoted from Monk:

I feel like people are coming up
With movies that others don’t know, just to say how have you not seen that. You don’t know movies. Out of 5 movies I get having some that people don’t know, but 5 somewhat obscure movies seems like “look how much more I know than you”.

If there is one thing Pinsiders are good at, it’s veering afar from a topic’s original premise as a thread progresses.

#308 1 year ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Oh I forgot about LOTRs, the most epic fucking trilogy ever produced. All three are perfect in every way.

Extended editions only.

#310 1 year ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Weeeeelll OK. My son and I conned my wife I to seeing the extended version of thefirst one at theater. About 3 hours into it she asked how long it was. She shit when we told her. Good times.

I saw them all in the theater, but not having read the books, I had a hard time keeping up and following everything. Then we watched the extended editions all the way through, and then I was like, I get it now. Amazingly cool films.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-5-films-of-all-time?tu=xsvtoys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.