Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Asylum
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Choose your favorite ColorDMDs. Choices are limited to one from each colorist of multiple titles.”

• Judge Dread 16 votes
    9%
  • The Flintstones 8 votes
    4%
  • No Good Gofers 15 votes
    8%
  • Metallica 52 votes
    28%
  • Tommy 6 votes
    3%
  • X-Men 17 votes
    9%
  • The Simpsons Pinball Party 41 votes
    22%
  • Attack From Mars 24 votes
    13%
  • Demolition Man 4 votes
    2%

(Multiple choice - 183 votes by 112 Pinsiders)

#1 7 years ago

What are your top 5 Color DMDs? Give a list and rate each one on a scale of 10. 3 scores for each. Original dots, coloring, and total score. For example, games with video rips would get low scores from me because I don't like that technique but the coloring may be so good to bring the total score up. Total score can also be based on how it ties into the look and feel of the game. Scores are very much opinions so have fun. Scores aren't needed either.

I haven't seen every ColorDMD in person but for me the top 5 are must haves if you own the game.

Here's my top 5:

MET 10, 10, 10
JD 9, 9, 9
AC/DC 10, 10, 9
TSPP 8, 8, 8
TRON 5, 8, 8

#2 7 years ago

LOTR 10, 10, 10
MET 9, 10, 9.5
TSPP 9, 9, 9
AFM 9, 9, 9
Indy WMS 8,9,8.5

#3 7 years ago

Fish tales is the best
Afm is great too
Metallica is impressive
The "upscaling" always looks stupid.

#4 7 years ago

Met looks great upscaled IMO

#5 7 years ago

Very hard to view the animations on SM without color. Big time upgrade.

#6 7 years ago

When you add a poll to this thread, make sure you put in for the max selections, 9.

#7 7 years ago

X-Men is #1, just a great look for a comic themed pin.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

When you add a poll to this thread, make sure you put in for the max selections, 9.

How about we add a poll when we have a majority of the top 9 decided? I'm thinking MET, FT, AFM, TSPP, LOTR, XM will be on there based on responses so far, what else?

#9 7 years ago

Met
Tspp
Acdc

#10 7 years ago

All the ones I worked on are the most awesomest.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

BDK is #1

#13 7 years ago

STTNG, CONGO, NGG

#14 7 years ago

I've seen a few ColorDMDs in the wild. FT, MM and I purchased DW for my machine.

I can't really state which title does it better, but I can state that I REALLY enjoy the color on DW as a player and a watcher.

Furthermore having the DW Moving Dalek Topper AND the DW ColorDMD... I find the ColorDMD a better asset to the game. I see it all the time and the colors selected by Shimoda feel perfect.

I really don't have a huge $$ to invest in games. I love pinball and ponying up $400 for ColorDMD took a LOT of justifying. But the second I had it installed I NEVER looked back. I wish I could say that about all my purchases.

Again, don't know what's best but if you love Doctor Who... you will love the ColorDMD dots (oh, and yes, I like the dots).
faz

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

X-Men is #1, just a great look for a comic themed pin.

I can think of another comic themed pin

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Flintstones is my favorite of yours and though I haven't seen it in person Spidey VE was pretty awesome as well.

#17 7 years ago

TSPP 10,10,10
MET 10,10,10
JM 8,10,9
MM 8,10,9
AFM 8,10,9

#18 7 years ago

SMVE is excellent.

#19 7 years ago

It's not in the poll but STTNG is a top 5 for me. The space animations really gave them a chance to do some cool things with colors and they delivered.

#20 7 years ago

I love them all

It is not the coders fault that early DMDs animations aren't as good as Sterns latter games

#21 7 years ago

Very happy with NGG and TOM

#22 7 years ago

Indiana Jones is the best one in my opinion.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

For example, games with video rips would get low scores from me because I don't like that technique but the coloring may be so good to bring the total score up

Take another look at these games with the color mode set to tiles or DotsXL. Looks pretty good.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

Take another look at these games with the color mode set to tiles or DotsXL. Looks pretty good.

It's not that I don't like them in color. I think that ColorDMD makes these look tons better than they did originally. It's the laziness of the technique to use video rips instead making custom animations. I'm an animation buff so I really enjoy the craft of making good looking dot animations. MET and TWD have some of the best ever while GOT and Kiss were a let down because of video rips.

Quoted from PopBumperPete:

I love them all
It is not the coders fault that early DMDs animations aren't as good as Sterns latter games

While I would agree that early B/W animations like TAF and HS2 lack depth, the late 90s games still have very good animations compared to Sterns. JD, FT, AFM, MM, CFTBL, TZ have really great dots even today.

#25 7 years ago

I cant take this seriously without LOTR on the poll.

#26 7 years ago

Just got SS with LED color DMD installed. I think it looks amazing.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Ya I think Lotr looks amazing

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Don't worry about the poll. The real discussion happens down here. Tell me why LOTR is great. Is it the dots are really good or was it the colorist brought out the details you didn't notice? Or was it the unholy combination of the two like MET to make it stand above the rest?

1 week later
#29 7 years ago

Top 5 must have color dmd. Sure, I really like color DMDs for all titles. Just haven't seen all of them yet.
I currently own 3 color dmd.
Roadshow.
Popeye.
Monster Bash.
Attack from Mars.
Star Wars DE.

#30 7 years ago

Can't understand why IJ is not here. Here my top 3: IJ, TSPP, MB.

#31 7 years ago

In no particular order:

ACDC
Metallica
AFM
BSD
Shadow

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Tell me why LOTR is great. Is it the dots are really good or was it the colorist brought out the details you didn't notice? Or was it the unholy combination of the two like MET to make it stand above the rest?

#35 7 years ago
#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

» YouTube video
» YouTube video

Just looking at Gollum on the icon makes me curious how they colored him in such detail

#37 7 years ago

As much as I love the color on IJ and Sttng, I think lotr might be my new favorite colordmd.

LOTR is the next pin I'm buying. Had a moment this week where I almost bought an FH instead. This video above makes me want to keep stacking my nickels until I get enough for that lotr... thanks for posting it.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from Kronlar:

As much as I love the color on IJ and Sttng, I think lotr might be my new favorite colordmd.
LOTR is the next pin I'm buying. Had a moment this week where I almost bought an FH instead. This video above makes me want to keep stacking my nickels until I get enough for that lotr... thanks for posting it.

I just puy my color dmd in my LOTR last night. What a difference it makes. The custom animations are so well done, the color really brings out the detail in them. Makes me want to play through the game again just to watch the DMD.

#39 7 years ago

Iron Man.
TSPP.
CV is pretty epic.

#40 7 years ago

Number 1 for me would be LOTR's.

Lotr
Afm
Met
TSpp
Ft

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 18.95
€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
10,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-5-colordmds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.