• 117 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TigerLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ghosts-n-goblins-nes-1986 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nokoro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

What are the 5 best video game experiences that you can remember. Here are mine in no particular order:

1. Super Mario 64: This was my first 3D video game, and I was blown away by what I could do. To top it off, it was just a solidly constructed and inventive game. One that defined how other video games would be made for years to come.

2. The Legend of Zelda (original) / Ocarina of Time / Breath of the Wild: Ok, I'm cheating by naming three games here, but each of these entries in the series profoundly changed the way I thought about video games at the time. The original was amazing. I had never played a game like that, and I played for hours, loving the adventure and the ability to find hidden things. Ocarina of Time revived the series so well, bringing it current in the age of 3D rendering. And, BOTW just advanced the open world experience to new levels, keeping the feel of the original game but expanding the possible ways to play it. I lost countless hours playing each of these games.

3. The Witness: Since getting into pinball, I had left video games behind for quite a while. On a whim and a recommendation, I decided to buy The Witness. This isn't just a game. It is art and philosophy. It is science and math. It is the quest for learning and the experience of gaining knowledge. If you haven't played The Witness yet, do so! It is so hard to explain the feeling you get while playing. It is much more than just a game about solving mazes.

4. Minecraft: I was home sick with a nasty virus for a couple of days so decided to download this new game that was getting a lot of buzz. Hours upon hours later, I couldn't stop playing and was soon crafting amazing worlds and sharing the experience with my kids. What an amazing and inventive game that everyone can play and not feel guilty about.

5. Dungeon: You guys probably called this Zork, but I played the original Dungeon on my father's Vax computer at work. My father and I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the puzzles in this text adventure and traded clues with some of his colleagues. I couldn't believe there was a game that kept track of your progress and interacted with what you said. It opened the door to many things that followed.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from okayestpinballer:

Half Life 2 - still one of the best PC games.

Ah, I forgot about that! That game was a cinematic experience. And the gravity gun is one of the best weapons in video games, especially at the end when it gets upgraded to capture and fling enemies.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

5. Finishing Ghost & Goblins for the first time, what a long night.

I had a love hate relationship with that game. Wasn’t that the one where when you finished, you found out it was a fake ending and had to do the whole thing all over again?

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

5. Dragons Lair: The first step into cartoon type of movie graphics. I personally did not like the game but it was a milestone.

I still remember the exact time I learned about Dragon's Lair. I was a kid reading about it in a magazine while a babysitter was over. I remember showing her how blown away I was by the appearance of the game and how I never saw anything like it. I owned a Commodore Vic 20 and played Omega Race on it quite often and was used to those types of graphics. I couldn't believe there would be something that was animated.

Then I got to play it in the arcade and basically couldn't do anything. I didn't have a lot of money so was unwilling to sink multiple quarters into the game. I was really really disappointed.

Today, as I'm playing games like Zelda BOTW or even my most recent game Gravity Rush 2, I strangely think about showing them to my younger self and what he would think. I'm playing stuff now with a level of graphics, interaction and control that I could only dream about years ago. It really is amazing.

1 week later
#76 5 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

A guy in Cali and me on the east coast were competing on Dragons lair in our arcades for a free machine for Electronic gaming monthly back in ‘83. He beat me by a day ( first to post a finished game). That was fun.

Cool story! For those of you that have done well on Dragons Lair, how did you learn? Just an endless supply of quarters . . . . ? I found it nearly impossible to figure out anything.

10 months later
#113 4 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

Half life 2. I cant wait for the new ones.

Will there be a new one?

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

I hope so. I think its one of the most anticipated games ever.

I agree, but year after year, I lose a little more hope.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nokoro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/top-5-best-video-game-experiences?tu=Nokoro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.